Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas athletics is about to reach a first in SEC history

Started by hogfan064, May 25, 2007, 08:46:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

With a win Saturday the Hogs will become the first athletic program to appear in the SEC Championship game for football, basketball, and baseball. 

TX HOG

Quote from: hogfan064 on May 25, 2007, 08:46:06 am
With a win Saturday the Hogs will become the first athletic program to appear in the SEC Championship game for football, basketball, and baseball. 

In the history of college athletics?

Boss Hogg

Boner

Nooooo.  Everyone knows our athletic department is in shambles!  Thank god those kids** just overcame all the poor coaches and administrators we have.

**kids: noun, plural - players for a collegiate sport who were not good recruits, but turned out to be good players.  Most likely reason they attended Arkansas was either pure luck, or an overwhelming desire to attend the U of A despite having to no faith in the coaching staff.  In some cases, the reruit attended under the assumption the coach would be fired within one calendar year.

hogfan064

Quote from: TX HOG on May 25, 2007, 08:49:16 am

In the history of college athletics?

Yep

EastexHawg

Considering Dave Van Horn's baseball Hogs are the only program among the three to have advanced to the equivalent of a BCS bowl or Elite Eight within the last dozen years (College World Series three years ago), I am more optimistic regarding the baseball team's ultimate fate than I was as the football and basketball teams approached their SEC title attempts.

The fact that Dave Van Horn is a competent and accomplished head coach is the most important reason for my optimism.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Tusks

Don't you know that 'getting there' is what it's all about....actually winning one of these games....that's just crazy talk.....it's 'getting there' that counts!
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

311Hog

I like our chances to win this one, our baseball coach is actualy worth his paycheck.

mword

kimjongsqUeAl

:razorback:That's great! Now, let's try to win one of those SEC Championship games.  GO HOGS!!!
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: nutted on May 25, 2007, 09:28:17 am
Don't you know that 'getting there' is what it's all about....actually winning one of these games....that's just crazy talk.....it's 'getting there' that counts!

yeah "that wasnt Auburn or LSU in that SEC title game, that was Arkansas" - houston nutt

LSU just made it to the BCS and whipped ND but we were in the SEC title game.

The Hog

I will settle for 33% if they win since the first two were zeros.
Automatic RUN!

razorbass

ballhog88

Quote from: Boner on May 25, 2007, 08:55:18 am
Nooooo.  Everyone knows our athletic department is in shambles!  Thank god those kids** just overcame all the poor coaches and administrators we have.

**kids: noun, plural - players for a collegiate sport who were not good recruits, but turned out to be good players.  Most likely reason they attended Arkansas was either pure luck, or an overwhelming desire to attend the U of A despite having to no faith in the coaching staff.  In some cases, the reruit attended under the assumption the coach would be fired within one calendar year.

I don't care who you are, that was funny!

razorbass

PAHog

Hopefully we won't also have the privilege of being the first to lose all three in a season.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

razorbass

Quote from: PAHog on May 25, 2007, 09:51:55 am
Hopefully we won't also have the privilege of being the first to lose all three in a season.
Man you just ruined it :-\

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

HogISH™

you sure FL and LSU have not been there?

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

HogNuttz

Quote from: HogISH™ on May 25, 2007, 09:58:01 am

HogISH

All in the same year?

And if we faced Florida in the championship game, we wouldn't be the first to do it, we would be tied for first as Florida raped us in the other two SEC championships.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

silvertip

Quit hyperbolizing, boner. No one is claiming the entire athletic department is in shambles. All we need to move to a higher level consistently is a competent AD and a competent FB HC.

Hawglover1988

Quote from: EastexHawg on May 25, 2007, 08:59:37 am
Considering Dave Van Horn's baseball Hogs are the only program among the three to have advanced to the equivalent of a BCS bowl or Elite Eight within the last dozen years (College World Series three years ago), I am more optimistic regarding the baseball team's ultimate fate than I was as the football and basketball teams approached their SEC title attempts.

The fact that Dave Van Horn is a competent and accomplished head coach is the most important reason for my optimism.

Man, some of you people must have horrible lives to constantly have such a negative outlook on life.  If you revel in such disdain and hate for something as trivial as sports, you must really have problems in real life.

Hawglover1988

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 25, 2007, 09:46:14 am

yeah "that wasnt Auburn or LSU in that SEC title game, that was Arkansas" - houston nutt

Apparantly getting there is a whole lot better than what 10 other teams in the conference have failed to do.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Hawglover1988 on May 25, 2007, 10:07:11 am

Apparantly getting there is a whole lot better than what 10 other teams in the conference have failed to do.

i'll take LSUs accomplishments last year over our accomplishments ANY day of the week.

bsking

Quote from: abostian on May 25, 2007, 09:53:30 am
Lol.  Hope we don't lose to Florida again...

Not possible to lose to florida in the title game, or even play them in it for that matter.

hawgaramus

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 25, 2007, 10:45:57 am

i'll take LSUs accomplishments last year over our accomplishments ANY day of the week.

So what you are saying is you would rather go to a BCS bowl then play in the SEC championship game.  That makes no sense to me.

The #1 goal of every team in the conference should be to play in, and win, the SEC Championship game.  We were one of two teams that accomplished that.  Florida is the only team to accomplish both, but you can only have one winner.  Every hog fan wishes we had won the game, but I would much rather play in the game and lose, then to not have the chance to play in it at all.

ballhog88

So you only care about Football. LSU sucked in basketball and baseball this year and I wouldn't trade with them for nothing.

hawgaramus

Quote from: HogISH™ on May 25, 2007, 09:58:01 am

HogISH

I think he is talking about in the same academic year.

311Hog

Quote from: bsking on May 25, 2007, 12:03:24 pm

Not possible to lose to florida in the title game, or even play them in it for that matter.

Umm isnt Florida and USC playing to determine who our opponent is? so i think it is possible for them to play us.

PulledPork

Quote from: ballhog88 on May 25, 2007, 09:50:25 am
Nooooo.  Everyone knows our athletic department is in shambles!  Thank god those kids** just overcame all the poor coaches and administrators we have.

**kids: noun, plural - players for a collegiate sport who were not good recruits, but turned out to be good players.  Most likely reason they attended Arkansas was either pure luck, or an overwhelming desire to attend the U of A despite having to no faith in the coaching staff.  In some cases, the reruit attended under the assumption the coach would be fired within one calendar year.

I don't care who you are, that was funny!
funny in a "ha-ha" sense or funny in a thick tongued speech sense?

Pulled out...

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: ballhog88 on May 25, 2007, 12:05:29 pm

So you only care about Football. LSU sucked in basketball and baseball this year and I wouldn't trade with them for nothing.

I was talking mainly football when it came to LSU.

djgaffer

And so far we've only fired the AD and the basketball coach. Two to go!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hawgaramus on May 25, 2007, 12:04:13 pm

So what you are saying is you would rather go to a BCS bowl then play in the SEC championship game.  That makes no sense to me.

The #1 goal of every team in the conference should be to play in, and win, the SEC Championship game.  We were one of two teams that accomplished that.  Florida is the only team to accomplish both, but you can only have one winner.  Every hog fan wishes we had won the game, but I would much rather play in the game and lose, then to not have the chance to play in it at all.

spoken like a true nutt homer.

you have got to be kidding me
LSU only finished in the top 5 and raped ND into oblivion on national TV in a BCS bowl game. BCS must be a foreign language to nutt and his folk.

LSU also beat us at a place where we were supposed to be unstoppable.
boy i sure wish we could get to that title game, crap out, and then lose in a non BCS bowl every year. That should be the goal of every team.

getting to the title game is not that big of an accomplishment. Just ask Colorado

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: 311Hog on May 25, 2007, 12:08:07 pm

Umm isnt Florida and USC playing to determine who our opponent is? so i think it is possible for them to play us.

Its impossible to play them in the title game.

spe450

Quote from: 311Hog on May 25, 2007, 12:08:07 pm

They won't meet in the title game.  As he said, it's impossible.  You are wrong.

PlaygroundLegend

Cool. Didn't know that. I did post the other night how significant it was to win the West in two of the three major sports in one year. Does anyone know the last time that happened? Obviously Florida did it in football and basketball this year in the East.

I'm one of those who doesn't consider the SEC Tournament as the SEC Championship game, and in reality it isn't. The regular season champion is the SEC Champion. But that doesn't change your point too much. It was neat to be there.

BigTyme

I'd rather have Florida's two SEC title victories than 3 appearances.

BirminghamBill

I liked someone else's earlier point that we made it to, 10 win football, 20 win basketball & 40 win baseball.  Pretty impressive!

Even better... a BCS win, elite 8 appearance and CWS title though!

hawgaramus

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 25, 2007, 12:18:39 pm

LSU only finished in the top 5 and raped ND into oblivion on national TV in a BCS bowl game. BCS must be a foreign language to nutt and his folk.

boy i sure wish we could get to that title game, crap out, and then lose in a non BCS bowl every year. That should be the goal of every team.

getting to the title game is not that big of an accomplishment. Just ask Colorado

This is one of the dumbest things I've read on this board in a long time.  First, I'm not a Nutt homer.  Second, you can't win the SEC Championship if you don't play in the SEC Championship game, so it is a big deal to play in the game.  If you can't understand that its more important to play for the conference championship then it is to play in a meaningless BCS game (there was nothing on the line in that game), then I can't help you.

I just wonder how many people would be on the board right now whining about "not even winning the west" if we hadn't.  Amazing how the benchmark keeps changing everytime something is accomplished.

Hollywood_HOGan45

May 25, 2007, 01:36:13 pm #41 Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 01:39:59 pm by Hollywood_HOGan45
Quote from: hawgaramus on May 25, 2007, 01:22:26 pm

This is one of the dumbest things I've read on this board in a long time.  First, I'm not a Nutt homer.  Second, you can't win the SEC Championship if you don't play in the SEC Championship game, so it is a big deal to play in the game.  If you can't understand that its more important to play for the conference championship then it is to play in a meaningless BCS game (there was nothing on the line in that game), then I can't help you.

I just wonder how many people would be on the board right now whining about "not even winning the west" if we hadn't.  Amazing how the benchmark keeps changing everytime something is accomplished.

so you are saying you would rather get to the title game and crap out than beat down a program like Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl and finish in the top 5.

that makes sense
getting to the BCS is just like getting to the CWS or the Final Four in basketball.

I'll say it again
Getting to the conference title game and losing is not that big of an accomplishment.

I figured you were a nutt homer since only nutt homers think getting to the championship game and losing is a bigger accomplishment than beating down Notre Dame in the Sugar bowl and finishing in the top 5

311Hog

Especially when you drop a game to LSU at home, and LSU goes on to have a better over all record, and a big time bowl win.

I would trade seasons with LSU in a heartbeat, they are the true number 2 team in the SEC this past year behind Florida.

hawgaramus

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 25, 2007, 01:36:13 pm

so you are saying you would rather get to the title game and crap out than beat down a program like Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl and finish in the top 5.

that makes sense
getting to the BCS is just like getting to the CWS or the Final Four in basketball.

I'll say it again
Getting to the conference title game and losing is not that big of an accomplishment.

I figured you were a nutt homer since only nutt homers think getting to the championship game and losing is a bigger accomplishment than beating down Notre Dame in the Sugar bowl and finishing in the top 5

Its not getting to the championship and losing that's the big deal.  It's having the opportunity to play for the championship in the first place.  I would rather have the opportunity to play for the conference championship than play in a bowl game where there IS NOTHING ON THE LINE.  You play football to play for championships.  We did.  LSU didn't.  It's not that hard to figure out.

I love how everybody want to say that the BCS is garbage, but then want to give a bowl game more weight just because it has the BCS tag.  There's only one bowl game that has any real meaning and that's the championship game. 

Hollywood_HOGan45

May 25, 2007, 01:48:59 pm #44 Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 01:52:44 pm by Hollywood_HOGan45
Quote from: hawgaramus on May 25, 2007, 01:43:46 pm

that makes sense

I'll say it again

Its not getting to the championship and losing that's the big deal.  It's having the opportunity to play for the championship in the first place.  I would rather have the opportunity to play for the conference championship than play in a bowl game where there IS NOTHING ON THE LINE.  You play football to play for championships.  We did.  LSU didn't.  It's not that hard to figure out.

I love how everybody want to say that the BCS is garbage, but then want to give a bowl game more weight just because it has the BCS tag.  There's only one bowl game that has any real meaning and that's the championship game. 

we all want a playoff but getting to the BCS is a big accomplishment.
LSU got a bunch of great pub off that win in a BIG BCS bowl game. They raped Notre Dame and finished in the top 5 by the way.

You sure you are not a nutt homer?
Only a nutt homer would water down a BCS bowl game.
Yeah thats the reason we never make it to BCS bowls. Why go to the BCS when we could go to dallas and shreveport where all our fans can watch us? We should all thank nutt for sparing us meaningless BCS bowls all these years.

Who wants to be in the BCS when we could choke in Atlanta baby!!!

BirminghamBill

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on May 25, 2007, 01:17:22 pm
I want to add something...

No one is saying we didn't have nice/good/solid seasons (however you want to phrase it).

I think what people are saying is that while we should feel good that we had success, we underachieved in two sports, ending both on a sour note.  No one likes that feeling, especially knowing you could be better. 

Totally agree.  Things are moving in a positive direction though.  There are a few big steps in front of us, but the future is looking brighter.

Kevin Bacon

hawgaramus

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 25, 2007, 01:48:59 pm

that makes sense

I'll say it again

LSU got a bunch of great pub off that win in a BIG BCS bowl game. They raped Notre Dame and finished in the top 5 by the way.

Yeah thats the reason we never make it to BCS bowls. Why go to the BCS when we could go to dallas and shreveport where all our fans can watch us? We should all thank nutt for sparing us meaningless BCS bowls all these years.

Okay, when did I say that going to Shreveport or Dallas is better than going to a BCS bowl?  That's generally a sign of a weak argument, or lack of intelligence, when you can't debate something with somebody without putting words in their mouth.

Anybody with common sense understands that a championship game is more meaningful then a bowl game where there is nothing on the line.  Priorities for season should be finish #1 in the West, win the SEC Championship game, and THEN in a BCS bowl.  Again, if you can't figure this out, then I can't help you. 

For the life of me, I can't figure out how a HOG FAN can in good conscience sit there and belittle, and that IS what you are doing, an accomplishment that the TEAM had last season.

Hollywood_HOGan45

May 25, 2007, 02:11:52 pm #48 Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 02:13:44 pm by Hollywood_HOGan45
Quote from: hawgaramus on May 25, 2007, 02:04:49 pm
Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 25, 2007, 01:48:59 pm

that makes sense

I'll say it again

Okay, when did I say that going to Shreveport or Dallas is better than going to a BCS bowl?  That's generally a sign of a weak argument, or lack of intelligence, when you can't debate something with somebody without putting words in their mouth.

Anybody with common sense understands that a championship game is more meaningful then a bowl game where there is nothing on the line.  Priorities for season should be finish #1 in the West, win the SEC Championship game, and THEN in a BCS bowl.  Again, if you can't figure this out, then I can't help you. 

For the life of me, I can't figure out how a HOG FAN can in good conscience sit there and belittle, and that IS what you are doing, an accomplishment that the TEAM had last season.

Sure they had a solid season. Not going to argue that. They had a good season but it could have been better if we had a different coach.

But not as good as LSU's season.
If you cannot figure out that getting to a BCS bowl game and destroying the opponent is better than just getting to a conference title game, then i just cannot help you.

I just cannot figure out how any fan of college football would think that winning a HUGE BCS game is not as big of an accomplishment as just getting to the conference championship game.

The Dallas-Shreveport comment was just me poking fun at nutt people.

311Hog

The thing you arent getting is that the Sugar Bowl is the reward for winning the SEC, and in the BSC system Florida moved up to the National Championship game which left the Sugar Bowl looking for the 2nd best SEC team to fill the slot, in a perfect world the 2nd best SEC would logically be the team that lost in the SECCG, but as we all know that isnt how it worked out now is it?

Instead they took the team that BEAT the team that lost in the SECCG (for the third time).  The Sugar Bowl isnt meaningless, behind the National Championship game the Sugar Bowl is the next most important game to any team in the SEC.