Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey's Emphasis on Conditioning a Breath of Fresh Air - Ranier Sabin

Started by WilsonHog, May 25, 2007, 06:50:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

I am glad to see this come to light.  It was obvious the past staff didn't focus on some basic fundamentals.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

ColumbianHog

Seems like he's a bit behind.  I would think this is old news now.

Tomhog™

"Many media members and Razorbacks fans wondered at the time why Heath would want to conserve the energy of his players in a game that could and would prove to be the last one of the season. But then Heath made his startling admission, explaining that his team was not capable of extending its defense because it was worn down. "

This was the start of Heath's end.  Poor post season performances.  No one in Arkansas wanted to hear that the team wasn't properly conditioned.  That is not the Arkansas way.  We get a fresh start and get to have a team with Fresh Legs in the Fall...

Hollywood_HOGan45

no doubt

i got really really sick of losing to teams like Auburn and South Carolina on the road.
We had no business losing to those teams and quotes like these would always appear.

"they wanted it more"
"They had more energy than we did"

Hopefully Pel can whip these guys into shape in the offseason and toughen these guys up.
Coach Heath was a good man and a pretty good recruiter but he's not what we needed to win championships.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 25, 2007, 09:25:13 am
no doubt

i got really really sick of losing to teams like Auburn and South Carolina on the road.
We had no business losing to those teams and quotes like these would always appear.

"they wanted it more"
"They had more energy than we did"

Hopefully Pel can whip these guys into shape in the offseason and toughen these guys up.
Coach Heath was a good man and a pretty good recruiter but he's not what we needed to win championships.

We'll see how it goes.

Either:
A) Pelphrey whips them into shape but they still lose the close games.  This would show that maybe that (conditioning) wasn't the issue last season.  Maybe we learn something there...

B) Pelphrey whips them into shape and they blow out teams like SC and Auburn on the road.  This would show the benefits of conditioning.  Maybe Stan Heath learns something there...

Either way, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out! 

VoR

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 25, 2007, 07:26:42 am
Seems like he's a bit behind.  I would think this is old news now.

/Agreed

Yes it is a rehash of what has been printed for awhile already, but it is nice to see them try to emphasise conditioning in the press so the John Q. Public knows "Fresh Legs" will not be in question next year.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

HawgG

O.K. I have held off long enough on this, memo to the Arkansas media Heath is in Tampa now coaching at South Florida.

I give a pass on Scott Cain's article but the sorry SOBs coming behind him with the same useless garbage makes no since.

Although these poor fans desperately need some Razorbacks news in order to live, no matter how ridiculous it is and this story by Ranier is just that.

Heath has his hands full trying to find the key to unlocking the potential of the Bulls program, meanwhile Coach Pelphrey is trying to capitalize on the GREAT OPPORTUNITY he was given here.

The people who cover USF don't concern themselves with Pelphrey and the people that cover Arkansas should do the samething, but I guess a BROKENHEART IS HARD TO FIX. :(

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HawgG on May 25, 2007, 05:09:37 pm
O.K. I have held off long enough on this, memo to the Arkansas media Heath is in Tampa now coaching at South Florida.

I give a pass on Scott Cain's article but the sorry SOBs coming behind him with the same useless garbage makes no since.

Although these poor fans desperately need some Razorbacks news in order to live, no matter how ridiculous it is and this story by Ranier is just that.

Heath has his hands full trying to find the key to unlocking the potential of the Bulls program, meanwhile Coach Pelphrey is trying to capitalize on the GREAT OPPORTUNITY he was given here.

The people who cover USF don't concern themselves with Pelphrey and the people that cover Arkansas should do the samething, but I guess a BROKENHEART IS HARD TO FIX. :(

i thought it was a bit shady of an article too. Heath was nothing but class his entire time here.
USF is probably my second favorite team now.

But alot of what he wrote was true.

BleedsBlue

Regardless of the style of play you will see a better team on the floor just from the ruboff of John Pelphrey's attitude.  If you had seen him play as a player in both HS and at UK you would know he is not a quitter and he will instill that attitude into his players.  The ones that learn that lesson will play.  The ones that don't will not and eventually get recruited over.  That is what a top 5 D1 program is all about.

pignatious

That article explains all you need to know about why Stan Heath should have been fired a long time ago. Why a coach at this level believes his team does not have to be in as good as physical shape or better than his opponents is beyond me. Throw in the fact he didn't know how to improve players, manage a game, or recruit point guards or shooters. He should have been gone two years ago. I sincerely think Pelphrey has the philosophy and aggressive defensive mentality that Razorback basketball was built on. Hopefully, the coaching is there as well. I got so sick of hearing the Arkansas players say the other team wanted it more. That should never happen. There is no substitute for hard work in practice to get better.
Freedom is never free.

HawgG

Quote from: BleedsBlue on May 25, 2007, 09:02:54 pm
Regardless of the style of play you will see a better team on the floor just from the ruboff of John Pelphrey's attitude.  If you had seen him play as a player in both HS and at UK you would know he is not a quitter and he will instill that attitude into his players.  The ones that learn that lesson will play.  The ones that don't will not and eventually get recruited over.  That is what a top 5 D1 program is all about.

BleedsBlue I am a fan of yours but you dropped your right hand with this one and here comes my straight left to counter your statement.

What you said about Pelphrey makes for good reading but it proves nothing and here is why.

You want impressive, here's impressive:
Tommy Ammaker was a star point guard at Duke. As a junior in 1986, he was part of a team that finished as national runner-up in the NCAA Tournament. That year he recorded 81 steals. In his senior season, he was named the first winner of the Henry Iba Corinthian Award, given to the national defensive player of the year. Amaker also won a gold medal as a member of Team USA in the 1986 FIBA World Basketball Championship.

Amaker served as an assistant coach at Duke University under Mike Krzyzewski from 1988-97.

As a head coach, Amaker took Seton Hall to the NCAA tournament once (2000) - when his team reached the "Sweet Sixteen" (third round) - and to the National Invitation Tournament three times (1998, 1999 and 2001).

While at Seton Hall, Amaker achieved the #2 recruiting class in the Nation in 2000 by ESPN .The class consisted of Eddie Griffin, (ranked by some as the top high school player in the nation), Andre Barrett, and Marcus Toney-El. The Pirates were ranked high on many experts pre-season rankings.

Amaker resigned from The Hall and became the Head Coach at Michigan.

While he managed to clean up the reputation of the University of Michigan he failed to make the the NCAAT in his 6 seasons there.

For all his Great accomplishments as a player, assist at Duke to Coach K, success at Seton Hall look at the fellow now.

Where is he now? Amaker is coaching at Harvard U. Basically he is finished as a Head Coach at a Mid to High Level University.

The bottomline is an impressive resume doesn't guarantee anything and the tearing down of another man to make some kind of point is ridiculous, meaningless, and unnecessary.(The Razorbacks media)

slopinhogs

win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die