Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Donovan still on short list to be Orlando Magic coach (UF lean)

Started by fu-man-soo, May 24, 2007, 12:05:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ColumbianHog

In a way, I hope he goes.  It might make beating Florida a bit easier.

In another way, I hope he doesn't go.  With the recent lack of success college coaches are having in the NBA, it would be a shame to leave a potential dynasty team at Florida to pull a Pitino and tank. 

Bomis Hawg

Brian Hill is officially gone now, I guess.
Much like Van Gundy in Houston, speculation has been going for a while.

The Boar War

I guess if he feels the time is right for he and his family he should go.  He might not get a better opportunity.  On the other hand I think if he keeps flirting with other teams that will be one of the first indictments when the well runs dry.

javajockey

OK I'll bite, who would be on the short list to fill Donovan's place at Florida?

ColumbianHog

Quote from: javajockey on May 24, 2007, 08:40:56 pm
OK I'll bite, who would be on the short list to fill Donovan's place at Florida?

Who knows?

Some interesting if not accurate choices:
1) Brian Hill :)
2) John Pelphrey :) :)
3) Lon Kruger :) :) :)

Nice avatar by the way...Go Spurs!

j-flem

If i was Donovan i would wait for a few more years before i went to the pros.I meen if he waits a few more years a better job is goin to open up.. but i understand that it is cloes to his home so you never know but i would wait, but if he does go good for him he is a really good choach and it gets him out of the sec so we dont have to play him...

javajockey

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 24, 2007, 09:52:47 pm
Quote from: javajockey on May 24, 2007, 08:40:56 pm

Who knows?

Some interesting if not accurate choices:
1) Brian Hill :)
2) John Pelphrey :) :)
3) Lon Kruger :) :) :)

Nice avatar by the way...Go Spurs!

Thanks!!! Lived in San Antonio for 5 years, back in the era that the Admiral ruled the court and they played in the Hemisfair Arena.  I went to several games each year but can't remember much about it.  There are some disadvantages to having beer on sale at sporting events. 

BleedsBlue

"First, let me be perfectly clear in stating that this information is clearly posted as A RUMOR and is not a prediction of things to come.....
I posted a few weeks ago that the Magic job would open up (not really a hard call to make, but it was sourced) and that Billy Donovan would be the lead candidate for that job (again, not a hard call to make).  I also posted on www.ukuncensored.com that Donovan had been keeping an assistant at Virginia on the hook for a job while he flirted with the NBA opportunities.  Well, a few days ago, he hired that assistant from Virginia (not sure if it's public yet) and I figured that it meant that his talks with the Magic had not gone as well as the Magic would have hoped.
Well, I'm hearing now from no less than 4 credible sources that the talks are going strong and the people I have talked to seem to think that Billy may in fact be the next GM/Coach for the Orlando Magic.   Obviously, nothing is done yet, but the number I've heard 3 different times is around the 5 million per year mark.  I still am not sure why Billy would hire an assistant from a college program with no NBA experience if he had any doubts that he's be at UF next year.  I have been told that it's very possible that arrangements may already be in place if Billy D decides to take the Magic job.
I can only imagine the prediciment that Jai Lucas would be in if Donovan leaves Florida for the NBA at this point.  He already reportedly felt misled about Patrick Patterson's future plans to play for UF.  If Donovan leaves, I'd be amazed if Lucas did not try to get out of his LOI to Florida.
This post is rumor and speculation and should be treated that way.  Please do not mistake these rumors and speculations for facts or predictions."

Marc Maggard
Kentucky Sports Radio & www.ukuncensored.com

Bomis Hawg

Orlando has done a decent job of getting talent together.
Donovan would have some talent to fiddle with.

HawgG

Donavan is the man in the state of Florida, and the NBA hasn't always been kind to college coaches making the jump.

However after winning two consecutive National Championships there really isn't much left for Donavan to do on the college level,,,except maybe win a few more.'

However he does have a great recruiting class signed and will continue to bring in the talent over the years if he decides to stay a Gator.

The Orlando job is a good job, but maybe if he waited he could find an even better job in the NBA in the next few years where he is almost certain to have success.

There are also great financial benefits to coaching at the Pro level with or without great success.

What will he do?

mword

I was hoping he'd go to Memphis but he wanted too much power.

moses_007

The Boar War

HawgG

ESPNEWS is reporting Orlando is offering Donovan 6-yr/36M deal.

They are also reporting that he will accept the offer as the money is to much for him to turn down.

Stay tuned.

HawgG

HawgG

ColumbianHog

If he goes I predict he will follow in the footsteps of his mentor and fizzle out.  Then be back in college ball within 5 years.

chiefsfan

as long as Florida doesnt court pelphrey its all good
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HawgG

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 31, 2007, 03:49:56 pm
Don't worry I doubt Florida courts Pelphrey.

Pelphrey could makeup a rumor of Florida looking at him if wants a raise already. ;D ;)

ColumbianHog

Quote from: HawgG on May 31, 2007, 03:57:56 pm

Pelphrey could makeup a rumor of Florida looking at him if wants a raise already. ;D ;)

Florida could go after Anythony Grant if they want an up and comer.

I'm not sure who a more established coach would be to go there.  They are coming of two amazing seasons but they still aren't Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, or North Carolina.

But then again, maybe someone like Calipari would be interested.  Or perhaps Tim Floyd.  Wouldn't that chap Broyles butt?

chiefsfan

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 31, 2007, 04:00:35 pm

I'm not sure who a more established coach would be to go there.  They are coming of two amazing seasons but they still aren't Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, or North Carolina.

But then again, maybe someone like Calipari would be interested.  Or perhaps Tim Floyd.  Wouldn't that chap Broyles butt?

I got news for ya, winning 2 national championships, and back to back as they are, you become a pretty well thought of basketball program

What donnovan has done to Florida would be the equivalent of what would happen to Arkansas is Pelphrey brought us a National title.   Although thats not saying that I think he will bring us that...I just know he can
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 31, 2007, 04:11:24 pm

I got news for ya, winning 2 national championships, and back to back as they are, you become a pretty well thought of basketball program

What donnovan has done to Florida would be the equivalent of what would happen to Arkansas is Pelphrey brought us a National title.   Although thats not saying that I think he will bring us that...I just know he can

In my opinion (and it's free and worth every penny), winning two back to back NC makes it a GREAT job.  But it doesn't make it a "storied" or "rich with tradition" program like Kansas, UNC, UCLA, or Kentucky. 

In historical terms, I'd place it more with Syracuse, Michigan State, Connecticut, or Arkansas (I know we didn't win B2B but we were there).

To add another candidate...Jamie Dixon from Pitt may be a good consideration if Donovan does in fact leave.

jltackel

I'm hearing on DTS he's been offered 36 mil. anybody else hearing this? , that would be hard to turn down
I think he's gone if that's true,If it's true who do you think the next BB coach  of Flor. is gonna be?

PeytonManningSUCKS

I called a KY friend of mine to tell him the good news that Billy D. might not be in the SEC anymore and he got kinda slighted and said he wouldn't go, like why would he go there if not KY.  haha, now I want him to go and give both FL and KY the finger on his way out. 

Dream scenario, Donovan to the pros... FL steals billy clyde away from KY and KY has to hire Dana Altman. 

...ohh and Calipari get's lost in the woods for the next 10 years.

HawgG

Quote from: RanSolo on May 31, 2007, 04:34:49 pm
I called a KY friend of mine to tell him the good news that Billy D. might not be in the SEC anymore and he got kinda slighted and said he wouldn't go, like why would he go there if not KY.  haha, now I want him to go and give both FL and KY the finger on his way out. 

Dream scenario, Donovan to the pros... FL steals billy clyde away from KY and KY has to hire Dana Altman. 

Andy Katz just reported that if Donovan does leave for the NBA that the very likely replacement will be Anthony Grant.

justonefan

Quote from: RanSolo on May 31, 2007, 04:34:49 pm

+1, style points

HawgG

Quote from: jltackel on May 31, 2007, 04:27:36 pm
I'm hearing on DTS he's been offered 36 mil. anybody else hearing this? , that would be hard to turn down
I think he's gone if that's true,If it's true who do you think the next BB coach  of Flor. is gonna be?

I posted the Pat Forde story about the reported offer at 3:41:30 p.m. on this tread.

Don't be so quick to post before you scan down the thread, because you might miss something. ;) :)

Tone

Reporter from Gainsville just said that Pelphry would also be considered.  This was on ESPN sportsbash at 4:15 pm.  They also discussed the possiblity of interim coach one of the current assistants.

jltackel

Quote from: HawgG on May 31, 2007, 04:56:44 pm
Quote from: jltackel on May 31, 2007, 04:27:36 pm

I posted the Pat Forde story about the reported offer at 3:41:30 p.m. on this tread.

Don't be so quick to post before you scan down the thread, because you might miss something. ;) :)

Sorry these treads (threads) just mess me up  :P