Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey’s motivation is through degradation?

Started by Held Hawgstage, May 22, 2007, 03:41:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Held Hawgstage

I know Pelphrey will find it hard to inspire this team due to his lack of success at this level. After all, Pelphrey's last taste of success was spoiled by Stan Heath and Michigan State. His attacks on their conditioning, missing something 6 inches between the ears, and saying some of them are not the most talented players he's been around, will cause him to lose some of his SENIOR players before it causes them to want to fight for him. He should understand he's not dealing with a freshman class here. This method may not have the effect he thinks it will. Latest rumblings, some are not as impressed as many are trying to lead you to believe. But I'm just a guy who absolutely has no idea what I'm talking about. Or do I?   

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 03:41:44 pm
I know Pelphrey will find it hard to inspire this team due to his lack of success at this level. After all, Pelphrey’s last taste of success was spoiled by Stan Heath and Michigan State. His attacks on their conditioning, missing something 6 inches between the ears, and saying some of them are not the most talented players he’s been around, will cause him to lose some of his SENIOR players before it causes them to want to fight for him. He should understand he’s not dealing with a freshman class here. This method may not have the effect he thinks it will. Latest rumblings, some are not as impressed as many are trying to lead you to believe. But I’m just a guy who absolutely has no idea what I’m talking about. Or do I?  

Hmmm....you KNOW or you THINK? 

Educate me...how was his last taste of success spoiled by Stan Heath and Michigan State? 

I know of the "attacks" on their conditioning...but has he attacked their intelligence or their talent?  Where did I miss that?

TuckFexas

Do you coach an 8th grade girls team and upset that the Hogs passed you over or something? Why do you have such a hatred for Pelphrey, whom you've yet to see coach a game as a Hog?
Famous quote.
Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com
Become my friend on Facebook: www.facebook.com
The post above may or may not accurately reflect the views of TuckFexas.
Yes, they let me out of the Tavern on a day pass.

Hollywood_HOGan45

never have seen pel attack their talent and intelligience.

gonna have to show us a link

but if he did, so be it. Maybe these guys need motivation like that. They obviously needed something different. We were not that good last year.

Held Hawgstage

The link to the interview is on the "Pelphrey Interview" post. This interview is causing a ripple which is turning into a wave. A couple of people felt some of his critiques should be kept behind close doors. Which I completely agree with. Again, I think his inexperience is showing and he hasn't developed enough emotional capital to be so openly negative toward these players in the press. But...he's just so fiery. 

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 04:05:48 pm
The link to the interview is on the "Pelphrey Interview" post. This interview is causing a ripple which is turning into a wave. A couple of people felt some of his critiques should be kept behind close doors. Which I completely agree with. Again, I think his inexperience is showing and he hasn't developed enough emotional capital to be so openly negative toward these players in the press. But...he's just so fiery. 

Thanks, HH...I'll watch it when I get home tonight.

Earl

I don't know what interview you were watching....I thought he was very complimentary of the players...You took things out of context...I like Pelphrey even more after watching the interview...

Held Hawgstage

May 22, 2007, 04:33:49 pm #7 Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 04:35:21 pm by Held Hawgstage
Quote from: TuckFexas on May 22, 2007, 03:57:43 pm
Do you coach an 8th grade girls team and upset that the Hogs passed you over or something? Why do you have such a hatred for Pelphrey, whom you've yet to see coach a game as a Hog?

Listen TuckFex, I'm not going to get into personal attacks. I'll leave that to Pelphrey and his staff. One thing 8th grade girls coaches understand is that it's not the players that become upset with coaches bashing or shall I say....questioning players work ethic, talent level, and basketball IQ, it's those around them that are taken aback by it. Especially so when the coach has never coached them in a game. Word spreads like wildfire and some become embarrassed and resentful. It's human nature. Personal attacks on young men should stop and more questions about our coaches qualifications should be addressed. Thanks. Didn't we learn this from the football fiasco?

1962hoops

Degredation toward Pelphrey seems to be in most every post you submit HH.Why? Are you trying to make a point?Maybe Coach Pelphrey is making a point that next year is going to different, which I for one am all for that.Coach Heath seemed to be a nice guy whose teams took on that nice guy,get pushed around attitude until they got backed in a corner.I hope this is the return to Coach Richardson's take your head off and embarass you attitude.(play hard for 40 minutes) Get on board or get out the way!

TuckFexas

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 04:33:49 pm

Listen TuckFex, I'm not going to get into personal attacks. I'll leave that to Pelphrey and his staff. One thing 8th grade girls coaches understand is that it's not the players that become upset with coaches bashing or shall I say....questioning players work ethic, talent level, and basketball IQ, it's those around them that are taken aback by it. Especially so when the coach has never coached them in a game. Word spreads like wildfire and some become embarrassed and resentful. It's human nature. Personal attacks on young men should stop and more questions about our coaches qualifications should be addressed. Thanks. Didn't we learn this from the football fiasco?

So you're saying the players are fine with it? Is what he is saying untrue?
Famous quote.

Held Hawgstage

Hey Todd, how are the first 40 days of your marriage?

Well Wesley, my wife was more overweight than I thought, that wedding dress was deceptive. She needs to push away the desert menu when we dine out at Applebees. She's not that bright when it comes to cooking. She always burns the pork chops and you would have thought her mother would have taught her better. Unfortunately, her mother was too nice and did not demand she learn to cook the pork chops the way I like them. But come next week I'm going to make sure she cooks them right. She isn't the most talented woman I've been around and that's something she needs to work on. She needs to be more selfless around the house, pick up my beer bottles and such. Other than that.....this will be a great year of marriage.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 04:40:44 pm

Well Wesley, my wife was more overweight than I thought, that wedding dress was deceptive. She needs to push away the desert menu when we dine out at Applebees. She's not that bright when it comes to cooking. She always burns the pork chops and you would have thought her mother would have taught her better. Unfortunately, her mother was too nice and did not demand she learn to cook the pork chops the way I like them. But come next week I'm going to make sure she cooks them right. She isn't the most talented woman I've been around and that's something she needs to work on. She needs to be more selfless around the house, pick up my beer bottles and such. Other than that.....this will be a great year of marriage.

i see one thing wrong with that post.

your comparing basketball with MARRIAGE!!!

good gawd man

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: TuckFexas on May 22, 2007, 04:39:04 pm

Something that should be investigated by our crack journalists on the payroll. I could be wrong...or I could be RIGHT.

I just report....you decide.

However, this is the crazy part. Who does this and actually thinks it doesn't leave some sort of residue come fall.

TuckFexas

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 04:40:44 pm

Was he supposed to get to know all of the players strengths and weaknesses before he signed on the dotted line? What did you want him to do, look them up on my space.com and get to know them a little better before he took the job? It was obvious last year that this team was not well conditioned as many times they stunk it up in the 2nd half.
Famous quote.

1962hoops

HH if it's that bad at home maybe you ought to consider a change like the hogs did or I guess you could just lower your expectations.

DOGALUM

I know Pelphrey will find it hard to inspire this team due to his lack of success at this level. After all, Pelphrey’s last taste of success was spoiled by Stan Heath and Michigan State. His attacks on their conditioning, missing something 6 inches between the ears, and saying some of them are not the most talented players he’s been around, will cause him to lose some of his SENIOR players before it causes them to want to fight for him. He should understand he’s not dealing with a freshman class here. This method may not have the effect he thinks it will. Latest rumblings, some are not as impressed as many are trying to lead you to believe. But I’m just a guy who absolutely has no idea what I’m talking about. Or do I?  
I'm gonna go with no.....you don't.

At this point....nobody does.  Too early to tell much.....other than the fact that this coaching staff saw...in almost no time....what our previous staff couldn't see.  No conditioning.  No discipline.  Too many stupid descisions by the players.  All in all.....a poorly coached, trained, and managed team.  I've got no problem  with calling a spade a spade. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

TuckFexas

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 04:48:04 pm
Quote from: TuckFexas on May 22, 2007, 04:39:04 pm

Something that should be investigated by our crack journalists on the payroll. I could be wrong...or I could be RIGHT.

I just report....you decide.

However, this is the crazy part. Who does this and actually thinks it doesn't leave some sort of residue come fall.

Ok, you report. Who are you? Who do you work for? Newspaper? Radio? Why should we give you any credit?
Famous quote.

ozarkhog

Sounds like the staff has decided to use the hammer with no velvet coating.
More power to them.This team has had an attitude problem for the past several years mainly because of no discipline.
Tear em up Coach!
AKA: Snowflake  
Watch your thoughts; they become your words.
Watch your words; they become your actions.
Watch your actions; they become your habits.
Watch your habits; they become your character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny

DOGALUM

Quote from: ozarkhog on May 22, 2007, 04:54:51 pm
Sounds like the staff has decided to use the hammer with no velvet coating.
More power to them.This team has had an attitude problem for the past several years mainly because of no discipline.
Tear em up Coach!
+1
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: TuckFexas on May 22, 2007, 04:51:38 pm
Was he supposed to get to know all of the players strengths and weaknesses before he signed on the dotted line? What did you want him to do, look them up on my space.com and get to know them a little better before he took the job? It was obvious last year that this team was not well conditioned as many times they stunk it up in the 2nd half.

As a matter of fact...he should have. I would be extremely disappointed if he didn't. In fact, this was a shotgun marriage if I've ever seen one. We will regret not investigating this guys performance and coaching a little bit more than we did. As much of a business it now is...this is still an institution of higher learning. He is still dealing with student athletes. I would applaud him if we were the Memphis Grizzlies and calling out multi millionaire players who are not giving maximum effort, but we are the UNIVERSITY of Arkansas. But what do you expect when you get away from the Faculty/Coach and go straight to the coach. That's why you are seeing so many of the problems we have today in the coaching ranks. What happened to the leaders of men? There is a time and place for constructive criticism. If we cannot critique the coach on his lack of performance last year, the kids should be exempt as well.

TuckFexas

How about we let him coach for us before we critique his coaching?
Famous quote.

Held Hawgstage

I think we should have critiqued him prior to his hiring. What was the rush. We already got stood up once. We should have at least took our time and made sure he was the right guy to hire. When you hold the gun to taxpayers head for hundreds of thousands of dollars and feel you ought not be questioned, take your skills or lack of to a private university. Right Dana?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 05:35:06 pm
I think we should have critiqued him prior to his hiring. What was the rush. We already got stood up once. We should have at least took our time and made sure he was the right guy to hire. When you hold the gun to taxpayers head for hundreds of thousands of dollars and feel you ought not be questioned, take your skills or lack of to a private university. Right Dana?

or we could have kept a coach who's teams underacheived just about every year.

VoR

I think the bolded statement says it all. What it really seems though is you are attempting to have a battle of wits here, the only problem is you came completely unarmed.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

southern hawg

There have been no personal attacks from Pelfrey, Ostrom said the team was more out shape than any team he has been around after which Pelfrey came out and said that language may have been a little too harsh.  Stating the team is out of shape and will have to work hard to better condition themselves in order to play his style of offense and defense is not criticizing the players.

Held Hawgstage

Better than taking on a guy that didn't even make the tournament and turning our program over to another unproven coach. Ooops, I forgot about the one memorable year at south alabama two years ago.

I think I am leaving this board for awhile because of the personal attacks I'm receiving. I apologize for not being blind and holding your hands as we walk toward the utopia called the Pelphrey Era.

It is clear to me this is not the place for open discussion without being degraded in public for expanding on a different opinion.

Obviously the new coach has taught some of you well already. I hope our young men don't follow this example.

Chow.

Earl

Quote from: VoR on May 22, 2007, 05:43:43 pm

I think the bolded statement says it all. What it really seems though is you are attempting to have a battle of wits here, the only problem is you came completely unarmed.

LOL...good call...+1

501Ben

Yea if you think that is going to hurt their feelings, then you shouldn't enter a locker room for basketball or football because I promise you there is much worse things said in there.

Earl

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 05:45:44 pm
Better than taking on a guy that didn't even make the tournament and turning our program over to another unproven coach. Ooops, I forgot about the one memorable year at south alabama two years ago.

I think I am leaving this board for awhile because of the personal attacks I'm receiving. I apologize for not being blind and holding your hands as we walk toward the utopia called the Pelphrey Era.

BYE-BYE

It is clear to me this is not the place for open discussion without being degraded in public for expanding on a different opinion.

Obviously the new coach has taught some of you well already. I hope our young men don't follow this example.

Chow.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Chow.

you are contradicting yourself every single time you post.

but we've been through this already.

VoR

Chow.

Adios, don't let the doorknob hit you where the Good Lord split you on the way out.
From BC comic.

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

southern hawg

Chow.
Well,......Bye.

Earl

Chow.

I see your still here...Are you expecting us to beg yiou to stay?...Don't hold your breath....

Held Hawgstage

Hey guys...disregard my hundred or so posts questioning this hire. I've seen the light. Please let me in the PeeWee playhouse. I'm just as positive as you are about the new guy on the hill. He deserves a chance. A lot of unproven guys deserve a chance. How did I end up on the wrong side of the debate on this one. He did have 20 win back to back seasons in the Sun Belt.

So you can't chase me off...I'm back.....with a whole new attitude. Pel....is swell! Pel for President.

Held Hawgstage

Guys....hey guys...anyone there.  I've changed. How could I be so blind that I didn't see that those exciting wins over ULR and North Texas were huge. Guys..am I still welcomed in the PeeWee playhouse?

TuckFexas

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 06:25:45 pm
Guys....hey guys...anyone there.  I've changed. How could I be so blind that I didn't see that those exciting wins over ULR and North Texas were huge. Guys..am I still welcomed in the PeeWee playhouse?

For the love of God stop making yourself look like a bigger idiot than already suspected. If you're looking for someone to agree with you then speak to a mirror.
Famous quote.

bd93

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 04:33:49 pm

Good Lord!!!  Pel is not coaching girls that cry about every thing.  He is coaching young men.  Hell I have a son in 7th grade and every time his coach challenges him, You know what he does?  He sure doesn't get his head and worry about, he gets mad and wants to prove him wrong.  It's exactly how you should respond.  You don't sit there and accept that you can't, you step up and prove you can do it!

VoR

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 06:22:23 pm
Hey guys...disregard my hundred or so posts questioning this hire. I've seen the light. Please let me in the PeeWee playhouse. I'm just as positive as you are about the new guy on the hill. He deserves a chance. A lot of unproven guys deserve a chance. How did I end up on the wrong side of the debate on this one. He did have 20 win back to back seasons in the Sun Belt.

So you can't chase me off...I'm back.....with a whole new attitude. Pel....is swell! Pel for President.

Mark Twain said it best "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then open one's mouth (in your case it would be keyboard), and remove all doubt."
From BC comic.

RZRBack_FAN

Chow.
You must have nothing better to do.  I bet you have never seen Pelphrey coach a single game. Yet you are a expert. Get a LIFE!!!

The Boar War

May 22, 2007, 07:44:25 pm #39 Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 07:46:34 pm by The Boar War
Does Held Hawgstage remind anyone of that annoying USC fan that kept posting on MMQB before the game?  
I see no reason to beat JP down before he has failed a single test as a Razorback.  Is the U of A a big jump from USA?  Of course it is.  Did he deserve the shot at the U of A gig?  Maybe, maybe not.  But he has been able to handle the change with regards to recruiting and press conferences.  I feel confident that he will be able to upgrade to the speed and talent of the SEC.  
I also never heard him speak on behalf of the players intellectual capacity or talent level.  In fact Tom Ostrom was the guy who said they were the most out of shape team he had been around.  I don't think Pelphrey was even in the country when the statement was made.  I may be wrong about the location but he did not make the initial comment.  He did say it was a little strong but accurate.  I think most everyone agrees with that statement.

yraciv

I believe your karma speaks volumes for how much you know.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I don't want to smite you.  I want to write a script to smite the people that gave you the +4
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

wholehog92

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on May 22, 2007, 08:52:04 pm
I know Pelphrey will find it hard to inspire this team due to his lack of success at this level. After all, Pelphrey's last taste of success was spoiled by Stan Heath and Michigan State. His attacks on their conditioning, missing something 6 inches between the ears, and saying some of them are not the most talented players he's been around, will cause him to lose some of his SENIOR players before it causes them to want to fight for him. He should understand he's not dealing with a freshman class here. This method may not have the effect he thinks it will. Latest rumblings, some are not as impressed as many are trying to lead you to believe. But I'm just a guy who absolutely has no idea what I'm talking about. Or do I?  

I don't want to smite you.  I want to write a script to smite the people that gave you the +4
That's pretty funny when you think about it.  Don't sweat it Hawgstage will get over his mancrush on Heath after some success from Pelfrey.  I liked Heath as well but he is gone now.  He's not coming back.  If you want to continue to cheer the Hogs, you will have to get over Him.  Drink a beer thinking of all the good aspects of Heath, when it's gone, visualize Heath being gone as well.  Then order a new beer and think of the promising future the Hogs have with all of the starters and playing time coming back from an NCAA tournament team.  You have a severe case and may need to do this several times, but you can heal if you try. ;)
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

oldbear

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 06:22:23 pm

I have no problem with your opinion questioning the hire or questioning Pelphrey's record, history, stats, etc.  What I have a problem with is your blatant disregard of truth.  I just listened to the interview.  You say that he questioned "players talent."  His statement was Patrick Beverly may not be the most talented player I've ever seen, but he wants to be the best.  I bet someone like Jordan or Bryant is the most talented player Pelphrey has ever seen.  How is this degrading.  You say that he questions their intellect.  Pelphrey says that he must get this team to understand that you play the game in a 6 inch space between the ears by deciding to give maximum effort at all times. 

I could go on, but you get the point.  Some time ago, I made a speech to a group of employees of a school district.  Trying to begin with humor, I made several joking comments to people I knew.  A year and a half later I received a scathing letter from one of the employees whom I did not mention stating that it was obvious that one of the employees I mentioned was the only one in the district that I respected because of the mention.  That employee needs to grow up.  Your inability and the inability of anyone who listened to that interview to hear what was said and take it as constructive and pretty complimentary is juvenile and ridiculous.

OzarkHighs

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 06:25:45 pm

What is it with you?

Do you not get enough attention or something? You don't come on here trying to have any sort of conversation. You have your mind made up and you are trying to be the ripple hoping to make a wave.

ColumbianHog

Hey HH.  You have to know that there is a distinct difference in making the tourney from the Sun Belt and making the tourney from the SEC.  If you don't win the Sun Belt conference tourney then you're out.  Work all season...win 20+ games and the Sun Belt regular season title...but lose one game in the Sun Belt tourney and your season's over.  You can't fault Pelphrey for that. 

While I understand your questioning the hire, I just don't think you can justifiably use the "didn't even make the tournament" argument.

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: oldbear on May 23, 2007, 11:01:05 am
I could go on, but you get the point.  Some time ago, I made a speech to a group of employees of a school district.  Trying to begin with humor, I made several joking comments to people I knew.  A year and a half later I received a scathing letter from one of the employees whom I did not mention stating that it was obvious that one of the employees I mentioned was the only one in the district that I respected because of the mention.  That employee needs to grow up.  Your inability and the inability of anyone who listened to that interview to hear what was said and take it as constructive and pretty complimentary is juvenile and ridiculous.

Wow....I don't know what to say...can I finally be at a loss for words after that reply? Ummmm. No. Instead...I'm a little troubled. It is apparent you learned absolutely nothing from your employee or that speech because, you sir, or maam, are doing it again. You obvisously did not find the truth in your error.  To quote you:

"Your inability and the inability of anyone who listened to that interview to hear what was said and take it as constructive and pretty complimentary is juvenile and ridiculous."

Wait..let me read it again. Hmmmm. Hold on. Let me read this again. Ummmm. I'm trying to understand your sentence. I think you are agreeing with me......yeah....I'm pretty sure you are agreeing with me.

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 23, 2007, 11:14:52 am
Hey HH.  You have to know that there is a distinct difference in making the tourney from the Sun Belt and making the tourney from the SEC.  If you don't win the Sun Belt conference tourney then you're out.  Work all season...win 20+ games and the Sun Belt regular season title...but lose one game in the Sun Belt tourney and your season's over.  You can't fault Pelphrey for that. 

While I understand your questioning the hire, I just don't think you can justifiably use the "didn't even make the tournament" argument.

I think this his failure to move his team to the NCAA is a legitimate concern. The NCAA tournament is the same, one and done. I would rather reward a coach who has won a game in that tournament with this job than one who has failed to win one in the tournament. There were other teams who had the same restrictions and were able to move on. He wasn't alone. I mean....isn't that the main gripe everyone had with Heath....he didn't win a 1st round game in the NCAA tournament? So why go get a guy who hasn't won one either. Could of...would of.....should of..... Listen, the faster we get away from style points and start looking at the final score, the better off we will be. It's not how you win at the end of the day..it's did you win. There were 32 coaches who won a game in the tournament. I would have been happy with one of them. I don't think that's much to ask for. Can we progress instead of regress. I'm trying to be positive....I really am. Please don't pull me back in.

gduchar

HH + 1, all of you, -1.

HH is truly becoming a powerful troll.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 23, 2007, 11:33:45 am
Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 23, 2007, 11:14:52 am

I think this his failure to move his team to the NCAA is a legitimate concern. The NCAA tournament is the same, one and done. I would rather reward a coach who has won a game in that tournament with this job than one who has failed to win one in the tournament. There were other teams who had the same restrictions and were able to move on. He wasn't alone. I mean....isn't that the main gripe everyone had with Heath....he didn't win a 1st round game in the NCAA tournament? So why go get a guy who hasn't won one either. Could of...would of.....should of..... Listen, the faster we get away from style points and start looking at the final score, the better off we will be. It's not how you win at the end of the day..it's did you win. There were 32 coaches who won a game in the tournament. I would have been happy with one of them. I don't think that's much to ask for. Can we progress instead of regress. I'm trying to be positive....I really am. Please don't pull me back in.

and we were on the wrong end of the scoreboard WAY too many times in the SEC under heath especially on the road.