Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

David Lee or Malazahn??

Started by hogtastic14, May 22, 2007, 01:26:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

Quote from: AlcoHOGic on May 22, 2007, 02:10:26 pm
Gus brought trick plays and some added motion thats about it. He called some good games, others you could tell he was a rookie coordinator. Fortunately for him he had Dmac, Alex Wood, and the Nutts to help him along.

What exactly is Alex Wood's contribution in all of this? the guy is like a ghost.

David Lee option coach, tricking nutthuggers into believing he is going to improve the passing game.

BubbaHawg

So David Lee gets no credit at all for working under Bill Parcells?

Stella

Quote from: hogtastic14 on May 22, 2007, 01:26:46 pm
Would some of you really rather have Gus Malazahn than David Lee? Malazahn is a very good coach and has a lot of talent but Is David Lee not deserving of the job over Gus? Tony Romo paid for Lee and his family to come to Hawaii with him to the pro bowl. He said that he owed his success to David Lee. I understand many of you are upset because Malazahn got the shaft which I think the way he left was not right, but what I don't understand is how anyone can say Malazahn is better than Lee. Lee has been in the pro game and is well respected around the NFL. I for one think he is a great hire and support him 100% I understand many on here love Gus but he is gone now and it is not David Lees fault that some people would rather support Tulsa because of their hate for HDN

David Lee was unsuccessful here in his two other stints (especially throwing the ball) and he was basically a waterboy at Dallas.  Get a clue!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: BubbaHawg on May 22, 2007, 02:03:30 pm
Quote from: swisshog on May 22, 2007, 01:31:05 pm
Gus.

he did more in his 1 year here than Lee did in all the other times he has worked here.

You know whats funny....is in any other thread you same guys will say Nutt called all the plays and GM only called the plays for one series against USC.  So how has he proven himself or done more?  I like GM and wish he was still here but you guys contradict yourselves so bad its stupid.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) and you call us stupid?  Good grief.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Retired Radio Host

hogtastic14

wow, I must have missed all the option plays the Cowboys ran last year. Some of you idiots fail to realize that Malzahn ran the ball at Hughes. David Lee went to the NFL and improved his knowledge. I like Malzahn but will gladly take LEE all day

Ugly Uncle

I like Lee on a personal level.  I hope he does well.

Would love to have seen what Gus would do as more than just a playcaller...but someone that actually got to run his offense.
Retired Radio Host

311Hog

Quote from: hogtastic14 on May 22, 2007, 02:15:48 pm
wow, I must have missed all the option plays the Cowboys ran last year. Some of you idiots fail to realize that Malzahn ran the ball at Hughes. David Lee went to the NFL and improved his knowledge. I like Malzahn but will gladly take LEE all day

That is because DAVID LEE HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OFFENSE OF THE DALLAS COWBOYS. He was like Tony Romo's personal QB coach, and was the film guy, he wasnt the OC at Dallas, he didnt call any plays, nor did he design any game plans.

hogtastic14

Quote from: Stella on May 22, 2007, 02:14:01 pm
Would some of you really rather have Gus Malazahn than David Lee? Malazahn is a very good coach and has a lot of talent but Is David Lee not deserving of the job over Gus? Tony Romo paid for Lee and his family to come to Hawaii with him to the pro bowl. He said that he owed his success to David Lee. I understand many of you are upset because Malazahn got the shaft which I think the way he left was not right, but what I don't understand is how anyone can say Malazahn is better than Lee. Lee has been in the pro game and is well respected around the NFL. I for one think he is a great hire and support him 100% I understand many on here love Gus but he is gone now and it is not David Lees fault that some people would rather support Tulsa because of their hate for HDN

David Lee was unsuccessful here in his two other stints (especially throwing the ball) and he was basically a waterboy at Dallas.  Get a clue!

You my friend are ignorant.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hogtastic14 on May 22, 2007, 02:15:48 pm

Gus also ran the ball at Springdale.  He had a 1000 yrd. rusher.

Lee couldn't control if Dallas was running the option from the film room.

I HOPE you are right that Lee did learn things at Dallas.
Retired Radio Host

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: hogtastic14 on May 22, 2007, 02:17:22 pm

If Lee was successful, why was he fired?

311Hog

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on May 22, 2007, 02:18:40 pm

TWICE

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: BubbaHawg on May 22, 2007, 02:11:54 pm

Nope.  Now, if we were hiring a defensive guy I would give him credit for being under Bill.

Bill Parcells has a great defensive mind.  His teams typically won because of their defense.
Retired Radio Host

BubbaHawg

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 22, 2007, 02:14:13 pm
Gus.

he did more in his 1 year here than Lee did in all the other times he has worked here.

You know whats funny....is in any other thread you same guys will say Nutt called all the plays and GM only called the plays for one series against USC.  So how has he proven himself or done more?  I like GM and wish he was still here but you guys contradict yourselves so bad its stupid.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) and you call us stupid?  Good grief.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

I love your posts.  If any post doesnt agree with your opions then its absurd and trash.  Read my post again.  I never called you stupid.  

hogtastic14

please show me a link where Lee was fired. Serious
Quote from: 311Hog on May 22, 2007, 02:19:22 pm

TWICE

TWICE

I had not idea he was fired. Provide a link please

press ham

Stella

Quote from: bsking on May 22, 2007, 01:39:29 pm
gus has not proved anything.  The only reason everyone is saying gus is because they are the extremists wanting to strengthen their case against nutt.  high school is the only place so far that gus has been successful, and lee has been in the NFL.  NFL is a little bit of a step up from 5-A highschool football.

Lee's career has been terrible.  Check out his days as HC at UTEP.  Don't say it can't be done at UTEP - Mike Price has done fine there. 

BigDave70

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

hogtusk

Quote from: Tomcat on May 22, 2007, 01:48:44 pm
The reason I say David Lee isn't based on who is the better OC.  It is based on which OC fits in better with Houston Nutt's vision of the offense.  Right or wrong, he is the head coach and choses the direction of the offense.  I might not like the direction, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is that if you have an OC that is on the same page as the HC, there will be more harmony on the sidelines, less confusion, and will be able to get the most out of the players.

I wish Gus would have fit in with the current staff, but he didn't and there's nothing we can do to change that.  Let's move forward with the new OC and see if the 3rd time is a charm...
Pretty well sums up the situation.

+1
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: BubbaHawg on May 22, 2007, 02:21:51 pm
Gus.

I love your posts.  If any post doesnt agree with your opions then its absurd and trash.  Read my post again.  I never called you stupid. 

You are right.  You didn't call me stupid.  I should not have inferred that you did.

It isn't "if any post doesn't agree with.." my opinions then it's absurd or trash.  There are many I have intelligent debate with on here. 

You just aren't one of them.

Kidding.

mostly.
Retired Radio Host

DukeOfPork

You have to realize that David Lee was basically mowing the grass for Parcells.  He was not a full fledged assistant.  Tony Romo made it to the NFL under Wittke's tutelage.  Maybe Roy should get some credit too.

Gus was the Rivals national OC of the year in his first year; I was interested to see how much upside he had, because I suspect it is quite a bit.

Having said all of that, I will be pulling for David Lee to tear it up this year.  I'm just not convinced that he has that in him.

Stella

Quote from: hogtastic14 on May 22, 2007, 01:44:06 pm
Quote from: Flatfoot on May 22, 2007, 01:39:34 pm
Gus..........

David Lee has been here twice already.  If he was so great why did he leave?

hmm.....be an assistant for the cowboys or the QB coach for the HOGS???? Are you an idiot?

He was not an actual assistant.  He worked film duty.....

Stella

Quote from: bsking on May 22, 2007, 01:46:35 pm
Quote from: hogtastic14 on May 22, 2007, 01:45:41 pm
Quote from: rodkell on May 22, 2007, 01:31:00 pm
Gus - Hands down

Want to bet a grand that David Lee is not AP, Broyles, or Rivals Coordinator of the year ??

I thought HDN called all the plays last year????????? Remember darksider, Gus never got to run his offense

FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP

They preach that all the time, but change thier stories when trying to glorify an unworthy coach.

If you want to talk about "unworthy" coaches, NUTT is at the front of the line!!!!!

Stella

The reason I say David Lee isn't based on who is the better OC.  It is based on which OC fits in better with Houston Nutt's vision of the offense.  Right or wrong, he is the head coach and choses the direction of the offense.  I might not like the direction, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is that if you have an OC that is on the same page as the HC, there will be more harmony on the sidelines, less confusion, and will be able to get the most out of the players.

I wish Gus would have fit in with the current staff, but he didn't and there's nothing we can do to change that.  Let's move forward with the new OC and see if the 3rd time is a charm...

And Nutt will ultimately lose his job over trying to control the offense rather than let someone control it who actually knows what they are doing!

BruceSwinesteen

Quote from: grizzlyhawg on May 22, 2007, 01:41:47 pm
Gus.

David Lee went 45-15-1 and we had five consecutive bowl appearances. He  was made OC in 1988 and we won the SWC title in 1989

David came back again in 2001 and we won the SEC West. 

Gus watched DMac lead the team to  the SEC West title.

So actually no....

David was much more succesful than Gus was.....

but Gus did coach and Springdale and that is one of those intangibles that you can't coach or develop....you've either lived there or you haven't....

Yet I understand the attachment.  Gus likes to throw the ball and Ark has traditionally ran the ball too much. 

Not to be picky but Jack Crowe was the OC in 1989.  Just look at the two Cotton Bowls to see the difference.  89 CB w/DL 42 yds total offense, 90 CB w/JC 500+ yds of total offense.  Both were loses and both were records at the time.

Stella

Quote from: AlcoHOGic on May 22, 2007, 02:10:26 pm
Gus brought trick plays and some added motion thats about it. He called some good games, others you could tell he was a rookie coordinator. Fortunately for him he had Dmac, Alex Wood, and the Nutts to help him along.

Actually, that was very unfortunate!

OKhogfan1959

OK..Lee played catch with Romo after practice, thye became friends..Big deal..
Lee was not the QB coach at Dallas!! Romo had a real coach..
I would take Gus everyday and on sundays..No brainer..Lee is just here to kiss Nutts ass...
Huggers are you ignorant enough to believe Lee will do anything different than Nutt?/

Quote from: BubbaHawg on May 22, 2007, 02:11:54 pm

termite

How do we know if Gus is the better of the two? Since HDN sabotage then ran him off the team by hiring for the third time Coach Lee.

Stella

Back at you.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: hogtastic14 on May 22, 2007, 02:22:14 pm
please show me a link where Lee was fired. Serious

TWICE

TWICE

I had not idea he was fired. Provide a link please

I don't have the link handy, but Lee was fired because Landon Leach, a passing QB from Russellville, was not going to play for Arkansas with Lee as the QB coach because Lee had never demonstrated that he could develop a passing QB.  I know this really doesn't  mean much because of the source, but Houston Nutt was quoted in an article that he replaced Lee to improve the passing game.  Someone posted that article on here a few months ago when it was announced that Lee would be our next OC.

wholehog92

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 22, 2007, 02:25:50 pm
Gus.

I love your posts.  If any post doesnt agree with your opions then its absurd and trash.  Read my post again.  I never called you stupid. 

You are right.  You didn't call me stupid.  I should not have inferred that you did.

It isn't "if any post doesn't agree with.." my opinions then it's absurd or trash.  There are many I have intelligent debate with on here. 

Kidding.

mostly.

I wouldn't know uncle if he was walking down the street, but I love it when he posts.  He is one of the most open minded posters on this board.  He stays on topic and most of all he is logical.  If you had read, he addressed the very question you originally posed before you posted.  Ugly has more patience than I and you would do well to thank him for it because he is far wittier than you and could make you look very silly.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

311Hog

May 22, 2007, 02:40:17 pm #80 Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:45:23 pm by 311Hog
You guys also realize that David Lee makes twice as much as Gus Malzahn right?

100% state funds to.

So i ask this question

Would you pay twice as much for David Lee over Gus Malzahn?

OKhogfan1959

Gus has more knowledge in his pinky than Nutt-Lee have in both bodies. Nutt-Lee have no idea how to attack defenses..Nutts whole plan is to give the ball to DMac and hope he gets a crease..Nothing else...

jpenrod1

i would take lee, but not under Nutt.

OKhogfan1959

Stella is not ignorant...Very smart!  Hogtastic14 are you ignorant? I think so..

Quote from: Stella on May 22, 2007, 02:38:20 pm

Back at you.

Stella

Who's Malazahn?  HDN is the only one I know who calls Gus that?????

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Stella on May 22, 2007, 02:45:18 pm
Who's Malazahn?  HDN is the only one I know who calls Gus that?????

That can mean only one thing: HDN has infiltrated the board!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: 311Hog on May 22, 2007, 02:40:17 pm

100% state funds to.

Let's FOI his ass.  :D

Stella

Quote from: PorkPariah on May 22, 2007, 02:48:45 pm
Quote from: 311Hog on May 22, 2007, 02:40:17 pm

100% state funds to.

Let's FOI his ass.  :D

That's funny, Lee makes twice as much as Malzahn and is worth half, MAYBE?

oldman1015

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on May 22, 2007, 01:39:48 pm
Hogs fans have a very short memory.  David Lee was replaced at Arkansas to improve the passing game but now has has been hired to improve it?  Only in the delusional world of Nutt ball.
we have a winner.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

DeltaBoy

I'm still on the GUS BUS !

Just say NO to RETREADS!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BubbaHawg

Quote from: wholehog92 on May 22, 2007, 02:39:50 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on May 22, 2007, 02:25:50 pm
Gus.

Kidding.

mostly.

I wouldn't know uncle if he was walking down the street, but I love it when he posts.  He is one of the most open minded posters on this board.  He stays on topic and most of all he is logical.  If you had read, he addressed the very question you originally posed before you posted.  Ugly has more patience than I and you would do well to thank him for it because he is far wittier than you and could make you look very silly.

Thanks for your 2 cents worth but ugly posted that while I was typing mine.  Excuse the he!! outta me.

TheHogFan

Quote from: uglyuncle on May 22, 2007, 01:58:56 pm
Simply amazed that there are still people around that bring up this tired, illinformed argument.  Seriously guys...This has  been explained to you so many times.  Gus was the play caller, but it was HdN's system and play book.  Many times HdN took over the playcalling in critical situations.

I have to believe you guys are just being purposely ignorant, or trying to be funny.

Gus - Hands down

Want to bet a grand that David Lee is not AP, Broyles, or Rivals Coordinator of the year ??

I thought HDN called all the plays last year????????? Remember darksider, Gus never got to run his offense

FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP

They preach that all the time, but change thier stories when trying to glorify an unworthy coach.

He took over the play calling in critical situations that did not end up well, correct? But if the situation was critical and the team succeeded then it was Malazahn. Seems pretty simple to me.

TheHogFan

Great post and perfect explanation.

311Hog

Quote from: TheHogFan on May 22, 2007, 03:10:49 pm
Quote from: uglyuncle on May 22, 2007, 01:58:56 pm
Simply amazed that there are still people around that bring up this tired, illinformed argument.  Seriously guys...This has  been explained to you so many times.  Gus was the play caller, but it was HdN's system and play book.  Many times HdN took over the playcalling in critical situations.

I have to believe you guys are just being purposely ignorant, or trying to be funny.

Gus - Hands down

FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP

He took over the play calling in critical situations that did not end up well, correct? But if the situation was critical and the team succeeded then it was Malazahn. Seems pretty simple to me.

I am pretty sure that was 100% Nutt on that 4th down pass play call against LSU, i think he even said it was him.

PeytonManningSUCKS

romo had like 4 good games. 

malzhanista

Lee was a filmboy for the cowboys. He was not a field coach. He played catch romo. When he was a college head coach, he won 5 games in 5 years. He's been fired, or at best run off, from our own university twice. Nutt himself blamed lee for the poor passing game.

David lee is not an sec coordinator by any stretch of the imagination.

cbjagman

As I recall DL is a "retread" that we've driven twice before without any great success are far as our offense is concerned. To answer your question: I'd take GM ANY SATURDAY AGAINST ANY TEAM versus David Lee.

Tiredofhogssucking

You've got to take Malzhan.  Malzhan can relate to today's athlete.  Coaching in college is more than just watching film and coahing your qb's techniques on the proper way to throw a football. 

To be a success at the college level you've got to recruit, motivate, and employ a system that kids want to play in...every saturday.

David Lee has had his chances at the UofA and if you want to compare the two of them, Gus did more in his one year at the UofA than Lee has in all his combined years. 

Does anybody have the offensive stats for the UOFA when David Lee was last here????

Stella

Quote from: Pignoramus on May 22, 2007, 03:27:22 pm
I would take David Lee.  Much more experience.  Will bring more ideas to the program.  Good qb instructor.  But the main reason is that he is a team player.  Our coaching staff will be on the same page now which is very important.

Being on the same page as the rest of our coaching staff is not a compliment for Lee!  Remember there are two Nutts on the staff!

311Hog

Quote from: Stella on May 22, 2007, 03:41:45 pm
Quote from: Pignoramus on May 22, 2007, 03:27:22 pm
I would take David Lee.  Much more experience.  Will bring more ideas to the program.  Good qb instructor.  But the main reason is that he is a team player.  Our coaching staff will be on the same page now which is very important.

Being on the same page as the rest of our coaching staff is not a compliment for Lee!  Remember there are two Nutts on the staff!

Dont forget that it is a proven fact that great things happen when you surround yourself with "yes men"

/sarcasm