Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky buys out UMASS to cancel game.

Started by Tone, May 21, 2007, 05:50:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tone

I heard this on XM nation this AM and found this espn article.  Billy wanted another game at Rupp this year.  They basically bought out Travis Ford's team for $50,000.  They did it to an ex-player too, that is the sad part. It is all about the green.  Do you think Tubby would have done this? or Pitino?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2877223

chiefsfan

Its too bad our schedule is full...I wouldnt mind playing a game at UMASS.   A good team that is very beatable, and will have name recognition for hog fans. 
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

blacksuit

Definitely a low class move, particularly this late in the scheduling game.

southern hawg

Maybe Gillispie is afraid of getting beat by a Kentucky alumnus, he can't snub us though.

javajockey

Remember when we were all crushed that BG wasn't coming?  I like how things turned out at this point.

VoR

That will stick in the craw of many of the Big Blue's faithful for a long time. If BG does real well this year, it may get forgiven, but I really doubt it ever gets forgotten.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

bd93

Quote from: javajockey on May 21, 2007, 08:29:32 pm
Remember when we were all crushed that BG wasn't coming?  I like how things turned out at this point.

Who is BCG? ;)

catfanNar

Pitino did it in like his 1st or 2nd year at louisville getting out the western kentucky game to be played at nashville. I dont agree with this move either, but we play Indiana, North Carolina, Louisville, and possibly texas and UConn.

mword

I'd figure it'd be kinda of late to do something like that.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Tone-Loc on May 21, 2007, 05:50:53 pm
I heard this on XM nation this AM and found this espn article.  Billy wanted another game at Rupp this year.  They basically bought out Travis Ford's team for $50,000.  They did it to an ex-player too, that is the sad part. It is all about the green.  Do you think Tubby would have done this? or Pitino?

So why not pay UMass $50,000 to come play at Rupp?

BleedsBlue

May 25, 2007, 12:58:16 pm #10 Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 05:11:58 pm by BleedsBlue
Quote from: southern hawg on May 21, 2007, 07:00:26 pm
Maybe Gillispie is afraid of getting beat by a Kentucky alumnus, he can't snub us though.

We will be waiting for you at Rupp.  Bring it.   ;) I always enjoy our games.  I cannot wait until both teams are back on top and we get some national exposure like we did in the mid 90's.

BleedsBlue

May 25, 2007, 01:06:09 pm #11 Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 01:10:24 pm by BleedsBlue

You only hear what is reported on the radio and really don't know much about it actually.  UK fans like Travis Ford, but knowing him is knowing that he tries to be a bit of a hot head.  Ford was a transfer player from Missouri.  Don't get him confused with a KY boy like your new coach who played his whole 4 years career at Kentucky.  Travis Ford is no John Pelphrey.  During the coaching search Travis tried to strong arm himself into a position to be considered the next coach at UK after Tubby left.  This did not sit well with UK's AD.  The contract with UMASS had a buy out clause of $50,000 which UK exercised to get another home game, since we are already playing Memphis, UNC, Indiana, and Louisville.  Read into this what you want, but know the facts before you start trashing UK.  Would Tubby or Pitino have kept the game on the schedule?  Probably.  But Tubby is at Minnesota freezing his a$$ off ice fishing and RP is at Loserville.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: BleedsBlue on May 25, 2007, 01:06:09 pm

You only hear what is reported on the radio and really don't know much about it actually.  UK fans like Travis Ford, but knowing him is knowing that he tries to be a bit of a hot head.  Ford was a transfer player from Missouri.  Don't get him confused with a KY boy like your new coach who played his whole 4 years career at Kentucky.  Travis Ford is no John Pelphrey.  During the coaching search Travis tried to strong arm himself into a position to be considered the next coach at UK after Tubby left.  This did not sit well with UK's AD.  The contract with UMASS had a buy out clause of $50,000 which UK exercised to get another home game, since we are already playing Memphis, UNC, Indiana, and Louisville.  Read into this what you want, but know the facts before you start trashing UK.  Would Tubby or Pitino have kept the game on the schedule?  Probably.  But Tubby is at Minnesota freezing his a$$ off ice fishing and RP is at Loserville.

Seems to me it's all about the money.  They can pay 50K to UMass, get another game at Rupp, and rake in a few hundred thousand for that game.

I doubt it has anything to do with the quality of the opponent or the kids having to many road games already or anything like that.  It's all about the green...not the blue.

BleedsBlue

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 25, 2007, 01:21:37 pm

Seems to me it's all about the money.  They can pay 50K to UMass, get another game at Rupp, and rake in a few hundred thousand for that game.

I doubt it has anything to do with the quality of the opponent or the kids having to many road games already or anything like that.  It's all about the green...not the blue.

Maybe it is to help pay for Billy G's new jet UK is buying him for recruiting? ;)

ColumbianHog

Quote from: BleedsBlue on May 25, 2007, 01:30:14 pm
Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 25, 2007, 01:21:37 pm

Maybe it is to help pay for Billy G's new jet UK is buying him for recruiting? ;)

LOL...quite possibly!

Tone

Not trashing anyone.  Where did you get that?  Seems your trying to read more into the post than I wrote.  Maybe it is because you know it is sad that it is about the money.  That is my only supposition.  My advice to you is that you shouldn't assume to know what I am thinking. It sounds as if you have some issues about the decision or you wouldn't have made such a remark.  In addition, if your information is correct, it makes the decision even more petty and bordering on pathetic.

BleedsBlue

Quote from: Tone-Loc on May 25, 2007, 08:16:26 pm

Not trashing anyone.  Where did you get that?  Seems your trying to read more into the post than I wrote.  Maybe it is because you know it is sad that it is about the money.  That is my only supposition.  My advice to you is that you shouldn't assume to know what I am thinking. It sounds as if you have some issues about the decision or you wouldn't have made such a remark.  In addition, if your information is correct, it makes the decision even more petty and bordering on pathetic.
No advice is needed from you I can see that thank you.  If you have even taken the time to read my post and my other posts on this board you would know that I am not over flaming anyone.  Most of my posts have been very informative in regards to recruiting and complimentary of your new coach and his recruiting efforts.  Trust me, UK does not need the money from one non conference home game.  Look on the bright side, you got Pelphrey who will soon make you forget Stan Heath and his legacy of SEC road losses.

hawgtime

I am SSSSOOOOOOOOOOO glad we didn't get Gillispie.  He is slimey.

BleedsBlue

Quote from: hawgtime on May 26, 2007, 01:05:27 pm

I am sssssssssssssssssssoooooooooooooo glad you didn't get him either. ;D

grayhawg

Quote from: hawgtime on May 26, 2007, 01:05:27 pm

Still an aggie at heart ain't he. hee heeeee hee. ;) ;) ;)

Break & Run

Quote from: bd93 on May 21, 2007, 08:52:47 pm

Who is BCG? ;)

Obviously someone you know, that's because  VoR only said BG, not BCG...
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Break & Run

BleedBlue, are you really that eager for Kentucky to get their a*ss*es whipped up and down the floor by a ex-Kentucky player as the coach that does it to them?

I'm betting Pel will get a standing-O when he walks into Rupp, but at the end of the game, all the fans will be chanting, "TRADE COACHES!!!TRADE COACHES!!!"
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

catfanNar

Quote from: hog_fan_08 on May 26, 2007, 07:10:43 pm
BleedBlue, are you really that eager for Kentucky to get their a*ss*es whipped up and down the floor by a ex-Kentucky player as the coach that does it to them?

I'm betting Pel will get a standing-O when he walks into Rupp, but at the end of the game, all the fans will be chanting, "TRADE COACHES!!!TRADE COACHES!!!"
Come on now you guys haven't won at rupp since 1994, what makes you think it will be next season?

BleedsBlue

Quote from: hog_fan_08 on May 26, 2007, 07:10:43 pm

Yes, Coach P will get a standing O, no doubt.  If I was there I would certainly give him one.  I am hoping the games we played in the 90's will begin again starting with the 08 game in Rupp.  It should be a good game.  At this point you have the better team on paper.  But who knows.  I just hope it is a good game.  I know who the 24000 will be chanting for after the standing O for Pelphrey.  Nice post. ;)

justonefan

Looks like we gonna have us a texas-style rivalry once again. ;)
Can't wait for basketball.
:razorback:

BleedsBlue

Quote from: justonefan on May 27, 2007, 05:20:22 pm
Looks like we gonna have us a texas-style rivalry once again. ;)
Can't wait for basketball.
:razorback:

Makes two of us.  Let the good times roll.

jry04

Quote from: hog_fan_08 on May 26, 2007, 07:07:55 pm

Who is BCG? ;)

Obviously someone you know, that's because  VoR only said BG, not BCG...
BCG stands for Billy Clyde Gillespie. I think he was being sarcastic when he said that like he had forgot who the guy was. That is just how I interpreted it.

bd93

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on May 30, 2007, 12:47:18 am
Quote from: hog_fan_08 on May 26, 2007, 07:07:55 pm

Who is BCG? ;)

Obviously someone you know, that's because VoR only said BG, not BCG...
BCG stands for Billy Clyde Gillespie. I think he was being sarcastic when he said that like he had forgot who the guy was. That is just how I interpreted it.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic.