Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008 NBA Draft=Weems

Started by zebra, May 21, 2007, 01:30:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

zebra

Mock NBA Draft 2008

http://nbadraft.net/index.asp?content=mock2008

They have Sonny Weems as a second rounder.

HawgG

Quote from: zebra on May 21, 2007, 01:30:51 pm
Mock NBA Draft 2008

http://nbadraft.net/index.asp?content=mock2008

They have Sonny Weems as a second rounder.

That's where he should be in a Mock draft right now.

At this point it will be close on whether or not Weems get drafted in 2008.

He will still have a chance by playing in the NBDL.

There are a lot of guys just like him in college that look like a NBA player because they are fit and athletic, but it takes more then that to get to the league and have a career there.

bd93

If Weems plays good this season.  I think the he can be a mid-second round pick.

Bomis Hawg

I love Weems' game.  He has the overall athletic ability to play his position in the NBA.  That's a key part.  A lot of the good college players that don't make a successful move to the NBA is due to size issues as it relates to their natural position.  Corliss comes to mind.  Outstanding 4 on the college level.  Too small for the 4 in the NBA, but doesn't have the offensive ability or speed to play the 3.  He did make a nice career, though.

Weems has the style of game to get drafted.  He does need to work on his fundamentals, though.  He seems to disappear in some games and can be turnover prone.  But, his mid-range jumper is very good.  Can slash the lane and dunk, lay it up, or draw the foul.  I think he'll have a good season in Pelphrey's system, which will get him looks. 

Second round is about right.

waphill

He must get more agressive and take over ball games. If he plays passive this year, I don't think he will be drafted.

Held Hawgstage

He'll be mid teens to mid twenties first round. Perfect "upside" candidate. He'll play the 2-3. He will be one of the better 2-3's in the nation this year. GM's always drool over the athleticism. But Sonny is the type of player that needs success early in the game or he will fade into the background. You have to get him the ball early and often. If the focus is not on him, he'll lose focus. Best player on the team, hands down. Beverly close second.

Tomhog™

I don't see Weems going in the first round unless he has a breakout year this year.  I hope he does and leads Arkansas to a deep NCAA run.  If he doesn't show himself the best player on the Arkansas team, I don't see him making it earlier than the second round...

Break & Run

I think if he has a break out season this year with Pelphery's system, He's likely to be taken in the late first round.  :razorback:
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

Held Hawgstage

As much as Pelphrey claims they are going to run....there isn't a better player in the open court. What bugs me about these new guys is they are soooooo negative. Especially with his quote about the players missing something 6 inches between the ears. The guy is positive only about himself, drops cliche's everytime he speaks, and gets the fan base riled up by dropping some razorback history. He hasn't said anything positive about the players he's going to coach. Just negativity and generalities.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 02:16:00 pm
As much as Pelphrey claims they are going to run....there isn't a better player in the open court. What bugs me about these new guys is they are soooooo negative. Especially with his quote about the players missing something 6 inches between the ears. The guy is positive only about himself, drops cliche's everytime he speaks, and gets the fan base riled up by dropping some razorback history. He hasn't said anything positive about the players he's going to coach. Just negativity and generalities.

Pot calling kettle.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mbgrulz

boy, you just get less credible with every post. if you know people around the program, then you know that this post is bogus. good job HH, keep making it easier to not believe the crap you spew.

bd93

I never heard anything good about us from my high school coach but we were pretty damn good.

Held Hawgstage

People around the program? Do some research into who made suggestions (coached him) on what to say at the press conference. First coach I can remember who needed a speech writer.

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: bd93 on May 22, 2007, 02:50:35 pm
I never heard anything good about us from my high school coach but we were pretty damn good.

I'm sorry to hear that your coach never built up your self esteem. But it didn't take a coach to motivate you to go out there and perform.....or maybe you did. 

bd93

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 02:52:40 pm
Quote from: bd93 on May 22, 2007, 02:50:35 pm

I'm sorry to hear that your coach never built up your self esteem. But it didn't take a coach to motivate you to go out there and perform.....or maybe you did. 

All the crap he said about us pissed us off so we went out there to prove him worng every night.

So maybe that is what Pel is trying to do.

bd93

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 22, 2007, 02:50:56 pm
People around the program? Do some research into who made suggestions (coached him) on what to say at the press conference. First coach I can remember who needed a speech writer.

And you did your research where exactly?

Seriously, with you it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Bomis Hawg

Weems might be the best true athlete on the team.  I think you could make a case for Patrick Beverley or Stefan Welsh.  But, I'll take Weems.

Thing about him that bugs me is his turnover problem.  I think he can turn it on anytime of the game.  He can score 6-8 points in a row anytime, which is a good thing.  Can create his own shot.  He is a lot better catching a pass off the screen then stopping and popping at the elbow. 

I think they had to rely too much on him running with the ball rather than without it, which caused turnover problems.  He has a nice outside touch and can hit his freebies.  A GM could take a shot on him early or middle second round and have him pull 12 minutes his rookie year.  I think he could be an effective pro in 2-4 years.

hawgtime

i think he will POP this year and be in the first round.  He is a superstar waiting to happen.

Just give him some confidence and selfishness and he is GONE!!!!!

Foshodo

they dont draft seniors based on potential or upside... (unless theyre centers)  they draft seniors who can come into a game and not screw up... He will have to be the leader of the team this year (same as Thomas) to come anywhere near sniffing first round. As an athlete, he has what it takes to be a second round pick by merely improving on his stats from last year but if he is picked, he'll have to move past the passive moments he showed last season to stick on a roster.

the only player i see as a 1st round pick after next year is Hill... a team like Phoenix who runs the court and will likely have one of the last 3 picks in the first round might pick him up... Townes could end up being like Darnell and being the last pick of the second round and shipped off to europe but he'll have to be much more consistant

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Foshodo on May 26, 2007, 10:48:52 pm
they dont draft seniors based on potential or upside... (unless theyre centers)  they draft seniors who can come into a game and not screw up... He will have to be the leader of the team this year (same as Thomas) to come anywhere near sniffing first round. As an athlete, he has what it takes to be a second round pick by merely improving on his stats from last year but if he is picked, he'll have to move past the passive moments he showed last season to stick on a roster.

the only player i see as a 1st round pick after next year is Hill... a team like Phoenix who runs the court and will likely have one of the last 3 picks in the first round might pick him up... Townes could end up being like Darnell and being the last pick of the second round and shipped off to europe but he'll have to be much more consistant

Agree with everything but the part about Townes.  I think he could play in Europe or elsewhere but I don't think he'll be drafted.  Of course, like you said, if he shows up this season and can manage 10 pts and 10 boards a game then that would change everything.