Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Check These Numbers 2007-08 SEC West Football

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 17, 2007, 07:19:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

May 17, 2007, 07:19:41 am Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 07:25:18 am by MuskogeeHogFan
I am getting ready to leave for Chicago for a day or two, so you guys have fun with these numbers from last year, for the teams we play this year in the SEC. Just a little more fuel for the fire, some positive, some negative. These numbers speak for themselves and I am not sure how those who look through "rose colored glasses" can continue to do so. I believe that with a different coaching philosophy in place at Arkansas, these numbers would have looked a lot different and better, than they turned out to be. We did well in some areas and looked pretty bad in others. Keep in mind that Red Zone Offense is the percentage of time that we score when inside the opponents "Red Zone" and Red Zone Defense is the percentage of time that our opponents score on us, once inside our "Red Zone". Our Turn Over Margin sucks as do field goals and 4th Down Coversions. Defense saved us last year in many ways. Give me your take on these numbers in comparison to those we play in the coming season.
                                                                       Opp        Red      Red     
                     Total     Total    T/O      4th Dwn   4th Dwn    Zone    Zone      FG
                      Off        Def    Margin     Conv        Conv       Off       Def        %
LSU                417.5    242.8    0.0        76.5%      40.0%    83.0%   55.2%   64.3

Arkansas         378.0    299.6   -.29        30.8%      27.8%    78.3%   74.4%   42.9

Tennessee       372.5    327.5    0.0        54.5%      46.2%    88.6%   85.4%   81.8

Kentucky         375.3    453.4   +1.15      50.0%      37.5%    72.5%   69.1%   55.0

S. Carolina       395.0    336.8   -.15        45.0%      66.7%    73.6%   70.6%   76.2

Auburn            320.9    292.4   +.38        78.6%     42.1%     86.7%   64.7%   83.0

Alabama          335.9    297.7   +.54        53.8%      58.8%    75.5%   81.1%   70.0

Miss State       286.8    321.3   -.42        33.3%      63.6%     65.6%   88.1%   50.0

Ole Miss          261.5    353.9   -.25         43.5%      66.7%    77.4%   83.3%   82.0
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Among the teams we play for the coming year, we had the 3rd highest total offense, 4th best total defense, worst turn over margin and worst 4th down conversion ratio, while being the most difficult to convert a 4th down against. 4th best in scoring once in the red zone and 4th best in defending against scoring inside the red zone. Then of course, there is the FG% which is absolutely deplorable for a Div. I school.

The "good" categories pretty much put us firmly in the middle(nothing to crow about) and the "bad" categories just make us look silly.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Geez.........you guys are a tough crowd...........no comments? I figured you would go after this.
Go Hogs Go!

Swino

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2007, 08:24:41 am
Geez.........you guys are a tough crowd...........no comments? I figured you would go after this.

Thanks for the numbers.  I've found that facts seem to stifle the anti vs. pro crowds

arkjay19

it's still early man, give everybody some time

Herring's defense was underappreciated last year and will probably be the same this year with all the hype on offense.  The TO margin is really the result of the first 4 games: 3 fumbles and 2 interceptions against USC, McFadden fumbles for his first time as a Razorback on the goal line against USU, and 3 interceptions against Alabama.  After that, the TO margin was pretty solid for Arkansas. 

The offensive Red Zone percentage and especially FG% will be helped tremendously by Tejada or someone else. 

bighog5

If we can improve our turnover margin and improve the hideous FG % we will be salty. I think the offensive #s will improve and I am praying our defense can perform as well as last year. 

Ashdownpanther

For Arkhog 9--------- your statement about all the turnovers being in the first part of the season.  Well, it was the first part of the season for the other teams too.  Your analogy is similar to " yeah, after he died, it didn't hurt any more"

Silver Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2007, 07:53:18 am
Among the teams we play for the coming year, we had the 3rd highest total offense, 4th best total defense, worst turn over margin and worst 4th down conversion ratio, while being the most difficult to convert a 4th down against. 4th best in scoring once in the red zone and 4th best in defending against scoring inside the red zone. Then of course, there is the FG% which is absolutely deplorable for a Div. I school.

The "good" categories pretty much put us firmly in the middle(nothing to crow about) and the "bad" categories just make us look silly.

Just my take.

True definition of mediocre. Like I said we finished middle of the pack.

Ouachihog

Amazing that our red zone scoring percentage was comparable to the other teams despite our obvious shortcoming on FG accuracy.  Does this mean we scored a higher % of TDs in the red zone compared to other teams? 

I'd be curious to see all of the teams' FG vs TD ratio in the red zone.  Not that it would say much, just be interesting. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Ouachihog on May 17, 2007, 10:03:53 am
Amazing that our red zone scoring percentage was comparable to the other teams despite our obvious shortcoming on FG accuracy.  Does this mean we scored a higher % of TDs in the red zone compared to other teams? 

I'd be curious to see all of the teams' FG vs TD ratio in the red zone.  Not that it would say much, just be interesting. 

You know, now that is a tough call but it would be interesting to know. The thing is, I got these numbers from the SEC website and the NCAA site does not even track red zone efficiency. If they did, I am sure there would be a breakdown that reveals in terms of red zone scoring, how many scores were TD's and how many were FG's, and I think that is a pretty significant number to track for the NCAA not to track it on their stat's site. They told me that all the schools aren't tracking that and until they All TRACK IT, they won't add it to the stats they track(because guess from where they are fed their stat's?...........that's right, the schools themselves). Some research might turn this up and I would like to know, so I will look into it.....but if I have to get them the way I think I will, it is so difficult to ascertain the true numbers, that I might have to put it off.

As to your point, it would make sense with such a crappy FG%, that for our red zone stats to be comparable to other schools, that perhaps we did score more TD's than most inside our opponents 20. Good Point!
Go Hogs Go!

Lanlord

May 18, 2007, 08:59:11 pm #10 Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 09:00:43 pm by Lanlord
+1 for all you do MuskogeeHogFan.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

MHF . me thinks you have too much free time or your not working hard enough on the job ;D great job as usual. we are stuck in the middle of the pack as always . the FG's was horrible .but special teams always are a problem . one that HDN has never addressed . it's time to hire people to fix these problems . HDN could still be a good coach if he would start replacing our assistants with good ones and let them do the coaching . frank made his career by doing this . look how many of his assistants went on to good careers as head coaches . nutt has no one who has had success as a head coach after leaving . and the fact that few teams ever try to hire our coaches away speaks volumes about what we have . tracy rocker and reggie herring both are the type we need to hire .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

RebelliousHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 17, 2007, 07:19:41 am
I am getting ready to leave for Chicago for a day or two, so you guys have fun with these numbers from last year, for the teams we play this year in the SEC. Just a little more fuel for the fire, some positive, some negative. These numbers speak for themselves and I am not sure how those who look through "rose colored glasses" can continue to do so. I believe that with a different coaching philosophy in place at Arkansas, these numbers would have looked a lot different and better, than they turned out to be. We did well in some areas and looked pretty bad in others. Keep in mind that Red Zone Offense is the percentage of time that we score when inside the opponents "Red Zone" and Red Zone Defense is the percentage of time that our opponents score on us, once inside our "Red Zone". Our Turn Over Margin sucks as do field goals and 4th Down Coversions. Defense saved us last year in many ways. Give me your take on these numbers in comparison to those we play in the coming season.
                                                                       Opp        Red      Red     
LSU                417.5    242.8    0.0        76.5%      40.0%    83.0%   55.2%   64.3

Arkansas         378.0    299.6   -.29        30.8%      27.8%    78.3%   74.4%   42.9

Tennessee       372.5    327.5    0.0        54.5%      46.2%    88.6%   85.4%   81.8

Kentucky         375.3    453.4   +1.15      50.0%      37.5%    72.5%   69.1%   55.0

S. Carolina       395.0    336.8   -.15        45.0%      66.7%    73.6%   70.6%   76.2

Auburn            320.9    292.4   +.38        78.6%     42.1%     86.7%   64.7%   83.0

Alabama          335.9    297.7   +.54        53.8%      58.8%    75.5%   81.1%   70.0

Miss State       286.8    321.3   -.42        33.3%      63.6%     65.6%   88.1%   50.0

Ole Miss          261.5    353.9   -.25         43.5%      66.7%    77.4%   83.3%   82.0

The turnover margin is pretty bad considering the D played pretty well last year. The lack of INTs (IMO) is because our corners tend to follow and tackle rather than cover. This does cut down on YAC, but will also cut down on INTs beacause they are not watching the ball.

42.9% in FGs is horrible for any big time FB program. Here's hoping Tejada makes the difference. 
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 19, 2007, 08:19:39 am
MHF . me thinks you have too much free time or your not working hard enough on the job ;D great job as usual. we are stuck in the middle of the pack as always . the FG's was horrible .but special teams always are a problem . one that HDN has never addressed . it's time to hire people to fix these problems . HDN could still be a good coach if he would start replacing our assistants with good ones and let them do the coaching . frank made his career by doing this . look how many of his assistants went on to good careers as head coaches . nutt has no one who has had success as a head coach after leaving . and the fact that few teams ever try to hire our coaches away speaks volumes about what we have . tracy rocker and reggie herring both are the type we need to hire .

Tophawg, I have been keeping stats on all NCAA Div I football teams for 2-3 years now, so I know where to go for stats if I don't already have them in my data base. Doesn't take a lot of time, except for special requests. :) Fortunately, my work schedule at this time, is flexible and it allows me the time to be involved in things like this that I enjoy.

Don't expect HDN to make significant changes.......I think he plans to work D-Mac and F-Jo like pack mules in the hope that will get him where he wants to go. Total quality in a program is difficult to achieve unless someone is totally committed to it.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

brother i thank god for you . i to like stats etc. but perfer that you look them up  ;) i will happily discuss them with you though. i don't look for any changes . it's too late now to do much. casey is going to be a suprise to many on here .

tophawg19

also i'm not sure many good assistants would work for him.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 19, 2007, 09:13:30 am
also i'm not sure many good assistants would work for him.

Check the thread on Best Coaching Jobs in the Country.....THAT is where we need to be looking for a coach.
Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

my heart is on butch davis . that recruiting class at UNC. is very good. and was done in a hurry

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on May 19, 2007, 09:52:22 am
my heart is on butch davis . that recruiting class at UNC. is very good. and was done in a hurry

I am not as enthusiastic as many about Butch Davis. I think he is a good coach, but I am not certain he would pull up roots so soon to come back to Arkansas, though I may be 100% wrong. I personally favor Mike Stoops who is currently at Arizona and is predicted to have a break out year in the Pac 10. Whomever it is, it needs to be someone who is a recognizable name, open to new philosophies, is hard nosed, a hard charger and hungry for a NC.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

JEM

Opp        Red      Red     

Fixed it   :)

judgeroyswine

Barring injuries, this year will come down to defense.  Will we be able to stop people when we need to do so?
Our FG % should rise dramatically; our O line may take a few games to gel, but they'll be okay; however, I am once again worried about us giving up the big plays on defense..

We'll see.
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JEM on May 19, 2007, 12:00:52 pm
                                                                       Opp        Red      Red    
                     Total     Total    T/O      4th Dwn   4th Dwn    Zone    Zone      FG
                      Off        Def    Margin     Conv        Conv       Off       Def        %
LSU                417.5    242.8    0.0        76.5%      40.0%    83.0%   55.2%   64.3

Arkansas         378.0    299.6   -.29        30.8%      27.8%    78.3%   74.4%   42.9

Tennessee       372.5    327.5    0.0        54.5%      46.2%    88.6%   85.4%   81.8

Auburn            320.9    292.4   +.38        78.6%     42.1%     86.7%   64.7%   83.0

Alabama          335.9    297.7   +.54        53.8%      58.8%    75.5%   81.1%   70.0

Miss State       286.8    321.3   -.42        33.3%      63.6%     65.6%   88.1%   50.0

Ole Miss          261.5    353.9   -.25         43.5%      66.7%    77.4%   83.3%   82.0

Fixed it   :)

Fixed what?
Go Hogs Go!

JEM

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 19, 2007, 12:07:36 pm
                                                                       Opp        Red      Red     

Fixed what?

These are SEC East teams    :)

MuskogeeHogFan

Opp        Red      Red    
LSU                417.5    242.8    0.0        76.5%      40.0%    83.0%   55.2%   64.3

Arkansas         378.0    299.6   -.29        30.8%      27.8%    78.3%   74.4%   42.9

Tennessee       372.5    327.5    0.0        54.5%      46.2%    88.6%   85.4%   81.8

Auburn            320.9    292.4   +.38        78.6%     42.1%     86.7%   64.7%   83.0

Alabama          335.9    297.7   +.54        53.8%      58.8%    75.5%   81.1%   70.0

Miss State       286.8    321.3   -.42        33.3%      63.6%     65.6%   88.1%   50.0

Ole Miss          261.5    353.9   -.25         43.5%      66.7%    77.4%   83.3%   82.0

So you fixed it by removing the results for S. Carolina and Kentucky from what I had posted? Hmmmmm, not sure why you did that, but if you could do that for real for the coming season, I am sure you would be HDN's best bud. Those are two games he probably wished he didn't have to play.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JEM on May 19, 2007, 12:10:45 pm
                                                                       Opp        Red      Red    

Fixed what?

Kentucky         375.3    453.4   +1.15      50.0%      37.5%    72.5%   69.1%   55.0

S. Carolina       395.0    336.8   -.15        45.0%      66.7%    73.6%   70.6%   76.2

Yes, but if you will notice, I said these are the teams on our schedule this year and whether they are east or west schools, they do count for our western side of the conference numbers. They are just the cross over games that everyone plays.
Go Hogs Go!

JEM

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 19, 2007, 12:18:01 pm
                                                                       Opp        Red      Red     

Fixed what?

Yes, but if you will notice, I said these are the teams on our schedule this year and whether they are east or west schools, they do count for our western side of the conference numbers. They are just the cross over games that everyone plays.

Thanks for correction!!   :)  My mistake, I needed to read a little closer before I posted, thanks for information!!   8)    :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JEM on May 19, 2007, 12:22:40 pm
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 19, 2007, 12:18:01 pm
                                                                       Opp        Red      Red    

Fixed what?

Kentucky         375.3    453.4   +1.15      50.0%      37.5%    72.5%   69.1%   55.0

S. Carolina       395.0    336.8   -.15        45.0%      66.7%    73.6%   70.6%   76.2

Thanks for correction!!   :)  My mistake, I needed to read a little closer before I posted, thanks for information!!   8)    :razorback:

No problem.
Go Hogs Go!

TheRealDeal

The only 'bad' numbers as I see it is fourth down conversion % and FG %.  I think fourth down % needs to be improved, but the sample size for this type of category is very small usually (maybe 10-15 times a season) so a lot of variance can come into play.  I am not sure if we just had bad luck, if they were long tries, bad execution....but I am not ready to say this is a major problem because it seems like too small a sample size to make that judgement.

I will say FG% is a problem.  We just had bad kickers last year, end of story.  Hopefully, Tejada is working on accuracy and we will see this problem get fixed.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TheRealDeal on May 19, 2007, 12:55:51 pm
The only 'bad' numbers as I see it is fourth down conversion % and FG %.  I think fourth down % needs to be improved, but the sample size for this type of category is very small usually (maybe 10-15 times a season) so a lot of variance can come into play.  I am not sure if we just had bad luck, if they were long tries, bad execution....but I am not ready to say this is a major problem because it seems like too small a sample size to make that judgement.

I will say FG% is a problem.  We just had bad kickers last year, end of story.  Hopefully, Tejada is working on accuracy and we will see this problem get fixed.

Well, you are right perhaps in those categories but I would say our turnover ratio is certainly a horrible number and our Red Zone efficiency on defense is not a good number either, and those aren't small samplings.
Go Hogs Go!

TheRealDeal

I disagree that our Red Zone efficiency on defense is not good.  When compared to LSU it looks suspect, but LSU had the best defense in the country.

T/O margin as well I don't think was horrible.  You would love to be in the black in that stat, but remember, we went four games without a turnover and were last in NCAA to start the season.  I think that stat is more indicative of the defense learning how to create turnovers early in the season rather than its play throughout.  They created plenty of turnovers against both LSU and Florida.

tophawg19

we should always be a + in turnover margin . we are a running team

slopinhogs

i don't want a done there and done that coach . i want one who is a strong leader and hungry for a title.

one that has an open mind when it comes to offencive schemes .  willing to pass first and run second. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

JEM

Quote from: slopinhogs on May 19, 2007, 01:48:58 pm
i don't want a done there and done that coach . i want one who is a strong leader and hungry for a title.

one that has an open mind when it comes to offencive schemes .  willing to pass first and run second. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

+1

Ftsmithmike

I want a coach who runs runs runs when McFadden is our tail back.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on May 19, 2007, 02:33:12 pm

Congrats.........you got him.
Go Hogs Go!

Ftsmithmike

Good, maybe you would like to let MM and CD throw all day but I think we would be 0-10 if we did. So I say go with a winner. Let McFadden run it.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on May 19, 2007, 04:58:43 pm
Good, maybe you would like to let MM and CD throw all day but I think we would be 0-10 if we did. So I say go with a winner. Let McFadden run it.

Problem with that is, without balance, D-Mac is going ot have work harder this year than last, to make as many yards and he may get hurt in the process. A healthy balance of passing and running is what I look for and want. Not home run balls, not high percentage inception balls, but conservative dinks and dunks that keep the defense off balance. Clearly, you seem to be one of the guys who think that D_mac is a superman and is going to run over everyone we play. He has a diminuished O-Line in front of him this year with little experience overall and that does not bode well for the offense. A balanced attack would not only be our friend, but certainly his friend as well.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

RebelliousHog

JESUS! Again? No one has advocated throwing every damn down. No one has advocated putting DMac and the running game on the bench. But you must understand that without a SEMBLENCE of an effective passing game even DMac is gonna have a hard time running this year.  If you want to put ALL our stock in the running game then let's put RoJo back in at QB and run the wishbone option.

DAMN! You guys that think that wanting offensive balance means abandoning the run just make me go NUTS!
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HenduHog on May 19, 2007, 06:19:56 pm

JESUS! Again? No one has advocated throwing every damn down. No one has advocated putting DMac and the running game on the bench. But you must understand that without a SEMBLENCE of an effective passing game even DMac is gonna have a hard time running this year.  If you want to put ALL our stock in the running game then let's put RoJo back in at QB and run the wishbone option.

DAMN! You guys that think that wanting offensive balance means abandoning the run just make me go NUTS!

Ain't it the truth? Another knee jerk reaction from those fans that are so afraid that we want to take away our beloved running game. Good grief. "Balance" certainly does not mean all passing anymore than balance means all running.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorRaider

Imagine this if you will. If we had a passing atack that was effective enough to keep the defense from stacking 8+ in the box what kind of season DMac can have.

No one here wants us to have an all out nothing but passing game. But many of us do want to be able to throw the damn ball when we have to and also when we want to. Good grief man when will people like you learn that an effective passing game(that means one that works) combined with the potent running attack that we already have means gold.
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorRaider on May 20, 2007, 08:30:50 am

Imagine this if you will. If we had a passing atack that was effective enough to keep the defense from stacking 8+ in the box what kind of season DMac can have.

No one here wants us to have an all out nothing but passing game. But many of us do want to be able to throw the damn ball when we have to and also when we want to. Good grief man when will people like you learn that an effective passing game(that means one that works) combined with the potent running attack that we already have means gold.

Bingo! On the nose! Well said Razor.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorRaider

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 20, 2007, 08:32:23 am

Thank you. :)

It just kills me that there are a lot of people out there that don't truly understand that the days of winning with strictly the run have been over for many years.

Whileyes DMac is awesome but these folks don't realize that while as good as he is he cannot walk on water. Another thing I don't think people realize is that outside of Arkansas McFadden was an unknown until about midway through the season last year.

Every one will be gunning for him this year. Just one more reason we need an effective pasing attack.

Of course I know I am probably wasting my time posting this because there are too many out there that will just scoff and claim I don't know what I am talking about.

But at leat  you understand what I am talking about MHF. :)
Quote from: LA HAWG on January 18, 2007, 08:00:42 am
No BCS Bowl Games.
No SEC Championships.
1 10 win season.
2-5 in bowl games.
0-2 in SECCG.

How many times do we need to post this stuff?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorRaider on May 20, 2007, 08:37:07 am
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 20, 2007, 08:32:23 am

Thank you. :)

It just kills me that there are a lot of people out there that don't truly understand that the days of winning with strictly the run have been over for many years.

Whileyes DMac is awesome but these folks don't realize that while as good as he is he cannot walk on water. Another thing I don't think people realize is that outside of Arkansas McFadden was an unknown until about midway through the season last year.

Every one will be gunning for him this year. Just one more reason we need an effective pasing attack.

Of course I know I am probably wasting my time posting this because there are too many out there that will just scoff and claim I don't know what I am talking about.

But at leat  you understand what I am talking about MHF. :)

I do understand. And if these folks could sit down and have a chat with D-Mac one on one, I can assure you he would tell them that his success, or the lack thereof for the coming year, will depend greatly upon two things, the strengths of the overall offensive philosophy and his O-Line. Both of these are weak going into the season. These people you are talkign about are the same people that think that D--Mac is going to call the plays, snap the ball to himself, block for himself, pass the ball........to himself and score all the TD's. Time for a reality check...football is a TEAM sport. Hang in there.......you know the truth.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

tophawg19

don't forget he kicks the extra point too . some people here are blind , others know and don't want to admit that king nutt is clueless     

and that's a fact

Puerco Diablo

The one thing that jumps out at me is our turnover ratio.  YOu would think that with a running game like we have and a high risk, high reward defensive strategy our take aways to turn overs would be much much better.

Since our redzone defense is poor but our total defense is good I can only assume that we are forcing alot of turnovers and giving the offense a short field but they gave the ball back too often lastyear.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Puerco Diablo on May 20, 2007, 01:32:38 pm

The one thing that jumps out at me is our turnover ratio.  YOu would think that with a running game like we have and a high risk, high reward defensive strategy our take aways to turn overs would be much much better.

Since our redzone defense is poor but our total defense is good I can only assume that we are forcing alot of turnovers and giving the offense a short field but they gave the ball back too often lastyear.

Well, here are the turnovers by game:

Hogs               Opp
USC                        5                     0
Utah State               1                     0
Vandy                     1                     0
Bama                      3                     1
Auburn                    0                     0
SEMO                     1                      3
Ole Miss                  0                     0
La-Monroe               3                     6
S. Carolina               2                     1
Tennessee               1                     1
Miss State               1                     2
LSU                        1                     2
Florida                    4                     2
Wisconsin                2                     3

All Totals                25                    21   -.29

Against SEC Opp      13                    9     -.50
Other Major Teams    7                     3     -2.0
Small Non-Conf         5                     9     +1.3

Our 3rd down conversion % was 42% which didn't lead the conference but had us pretty much in the middle. There are many detractors that want to say the only reason our T/O margin was so bad, was because of the USC game. I think you can see that is not true. We basically sucked against anyone except smaller Div I schools. Not sure how much we gave it up after the "D" handed it to the "O" in good field position, but it is a good question.

Just my take.
Go Hogs Go!

Puerco Diablo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 20, 2007, 07:59:42 pm

Hogs               Opp

Our 3rd down conversion % was 42% which didn't lead the conference but had us pretty much in the middle. There are many detractors that want to say the only reason our T/O margin was so bad, was because of the USC game. I think you can see that is not true. We basically sucked against anyone except smaller Div I schools. Not sure how much we gave it up after the "D" handed it to the "O" in good field position, but it is a good question.

Just my take.

Interestingly, 18 of our 25 turnovers were INTs.  For every 9 completed passes, Hog QB's threw an INT.  No one will mistake CD or MM for Steve Young. 

Question is, with defenses stacking hte LOS this year, what can we do to make the passing game more efficient?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Puerco Diablo on May 20, 2007, 08:44:54 pm
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 20, 2007, 07:59:42 pm

Hogs               Opp

Just my take.

Interestingly, 18 of our 25 turnovers were INTs.  For every 9 completed passes, Hog QB's threw an INT.  No one will mistake CD or MM for Steve Young. 

Question is, with defenses stacking hte LOS this year, what can we do to make the passing game more efficient?

That is, unfortunately, the $64,000 dollar question. We MUST achieve some kind of balance in our attack or I think, we will be screwed.
Go Hogs Go!

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Quote from: Ashdownpanther on May 17, 2007, 09:20:41 am
For Arkhog 9--------- your statement about all the turnovers being in the first part of the season.  Well, it was the first part of the season for the other teams too.  Your analogy is similar to " yeah, after he died, it didn't hurt any more"
Umm there actually is a difference.  We actually made a turn for the better and were a completely different team after the bama game.  You can't say that for every single team in the country cause trust me not everyone got better. 
Go Hogs! Go Rangers! Go Cowboys! Go Mavs! Go Stars!