Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pel and Recruiting

Started by dotnet, May 15, 2007, 02:06:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dotnet

I thought he would be able to handle his own, but I am even more confident in JP's recruiting after today. 

He recruited Sanchez for two months and beat out BG who had recruited him for three years.  I don't care how close Arkansas is to his home, to make up three years on one of the best recruiters in BG in two months is impressive. 

At the absolute very least I think it shows JP can build relationships and hold his own.  I also think it points out how hard he works to get recruits.  I'm really pumped about the 08 and especially the 09 class. 

On a side note: I think the above is important for 08 too, because with basketball recruiting starting so early, he is behind in that class too.

Anyone else feel better?

Conway Cool Daddy

What Pel has shown so far is that he values Arkansas kids.

This was something Stan never could understand. You bring in the best Arkansas kids, who are traditionally
underated, THEN you go national to fill out your roster. The fans want to see kids from their hometown play.

This is a great start for JP. I hope he can carry the momentum into the 2008 class.

3kgthog

The Arkansas kids are underrated based on what? Ole Miss got a lot of decent Arkansans, but what did Ole Miss ever win with them? What other players from Arkansas have left the state and gone on to become impact players? I can't think of any.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: 3kgthog on May 15, 2007, 08:06:16 am
The Arkansas kids are underrated based on what? Ole Miss got a lot of decent Arkansans, but what did Ole Miss ever win with them? What other players from Arkansas have left the state and gone on to become impact players? I can't think of any.

A couple that come to mind
Quincy Lewis made a huge impact at Minnesota

Nick Bradford (from fayetteville) was very very good for Kansas

Daryn Selvy was a pretty good player off the bench for some really good Oklahoma teams.

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 15, 2007, 08:15:47 am

Daryn Selvy was a pretty good player off the bench for some really good Oklahoma teams.
Who were the brothers who played down at Auburn? I think they were from Parkview.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on May 15, 2007, 08:19:09 am

Who were the brothers who played down at Auburn? I think they were from Parkview.

OH man .
The name is on the tip of my tongue.

Dangit. I just know they had a father named Al though that was a pretty good player and coach.....i think.

Conway Cool Daddy

The Arkansas kids are underrated based on what? Ole Miss got a lot of decent Arkansans, but what did Ole Miss ever win with them?
The Arkansas- Ole Miss games for about 3-4 years.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on May 15, 2007, 08:38:17 am
The Arkansas kids are underrated based on what? Ole Miss got a lot of decent Arkansans, but what did Ole Miss ever win with them?

Got it

the Flanigan boys.

They were pretty good with Auburn.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on May 15, 2007, 08:38:17 am

also won a couple western division titles.

razorback93

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 15, 2007, 08:33:52 am

OH man .

Dangit. I just know they had a father named Al though that was a pretty good player and coach.....i think.
Flanigan. I believe the boys were named Jason and Wes.

I think what was meant was that many ARK kids don't get highly rated b/c they are from Arkansas.  I think Pelphrey realizes the value of not only getting the top kids from ark, but that second tier talent as well.

Razor8

Anyone recognize the name - Derrick Fisher - I think he's done pretty good for himself.
Razorbacks

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: razorback93 on May 15, 2007, 08:56:28 am

OH man .

I think what was meant was that many ARK kids don't get highly rated b/c they are from Arkansas.  I think Pelphrey realizes the value of not only getting the top kids from ark, but that second tier talent as well.

MIght just be me but i thought Jason Flanigan played at Ole Miss.

You do not want to miss out on Arkansas kids or you could have another Quincy Lewis or Derek Fisher make you look like a fool for not recruiting them.

LordStanleysHog

Derek Fisher- UALR
Quincy Lewis- Minnesota
Jason Flanigan- Ole Miss
Wes Flanigan- Auburn
Jason Harrison- Ole Miss
Keith Carter- Ole Miss
Bam Doyne- Ole Miss
James Anderson(McDonald's All-American)- OsU
Alex Weber- OsU

Get the picture?  I could go on... all except Anderson were starters on Div. I basketball teams; Fisher, Carter and Lewis all played (various lengths) in the NBA.

Beaverfever

All 5-5 of Jason Harrison was beastly.  Love that guy.

Conway Cool Daddy

Wasn't Michael Cage from Arkansas? Seems like there was a kid named Lee from West Memphis as well that was a baller in the NBA.

mbgrulz

bring in the future NBA guys any way you can from anywhere you can, and surround them with arkansas high school standouts. i think that is what we need to strive for.

little pigee

Great article.  Keep it up, Coach!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

razorback93

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 15, 2007, 09:54:43 am
Quote from: razorback93 on May 15, 2007, 08:56:28 am

OH man .

MIght just be me but i thought Jason Flanigan played at Ole Miss.

You do not want to miss out on Arkansas kids or you could have another Quincy Lewis or Derek Fisher make you look like a fool for not recruiting them.
After I posted that, I realize that.  Yeah, Jason played for OM.  Fisher is guy that I mean By 2nd tier talent.  I don't think he was highly recruited by anyone, but he developed into a solid NBA player.  Quincy played briefly in the League as well.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on May 15, 2007, 07:31:00 am

This was something Stan never could understand. You bring in the best Arkansas kids, who are traditionally
underated, THEN you go national to fill out your roster. The fans want to see kids from their hometown play.

This is a great start for JP. I hope he can carry the momentum into the 2008 class.

A lot of the players listed in the posts after this quote were from the Richardson era.  Some were from the Heath era but a lot were from the 90s.  Just pointing that out...

Conway Cool Daddy

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 15, 2007, 11:14:34 am

A lot of the players listed in the posts after this quote were from the Richardson era.  Some were from the Heath era but a lot were from the 90s.  Just pointing that out...
You have a point about talent levels in Arkansas during the Heath era. I just think that he could have emphazied recruiting Arkansas kids a little harder. Bam Doyne comes to mind, as well as James Anderson.
Stan wanted a nationwide recruiting base, which is good, but people tend to want to see kids they actually have known and seen play as highschoolers.
I would think that there were Arkansas kids just as good as Jefferson and McCurdy that we passed on.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on May 15, 2007, 11:36:42 am

You have a point about talent levels in Arkansas during the Heath era. I just think that he could have emphazied recruiting Arkansas kids a little harder. Bam Doyne comes to mind, as well as James Anderson.
Stan wanted a nationwide recruiting base, which is good, but people tend to want to see kids they actually have known and seen play as highschoolers.
I would think that there were Arkansas kids just as good as Jefferson and McCurdy that we passed on.

You, sir, are 100% correct.

tolerati

It starts at home and then branches out. Arkansas kids are as competitive as those in other parts of the country. National is great so long as you are getting the best from your own backyard.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

nughaud

I wish we could go back to the days of finding good Tulsa/Memphis talent.  There are a lot of players just a few hundered miles from the campus.

I am very happy at the start Pel has had at Arkansas.  I think he will get things turned around in just a few years.

Ftsmithmike

Are you more excited about Pelphrey as coach or Dmac as the Heisman leader?
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 15, 2007, 11:43:17 am
Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on May 15, 2007, 11:36:42 am

You, sir, are 100% correct.

Not only that, I believe that Pel made the point that hometown kids tend to play harder for the home crowds and thier school for that matter due to the fact of how much they have loved their team.  Keep building that fence Pel.  Go Hogs!!

PigWig

Isn't Scottie Pippen an Arkansas Native? I think he did well for himself.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: PigWig on May 16, 2007, 11:40:19 am

If you are simply asking a question and stating a fact then yes, Scottie is an Arkansas native and yes, he did well for himself. 

If you are trying to prove a point by asking a rhetorical question and answering it yourself then I'm sorry.  I don't see what your point is.

Smithian

He was a 6'1", 180 pound ball boy who couldn't lift the bar on the bench press when he showed up at UCA. He left a first round pick. Can't blame us for not getting him.

501Ben

Quote from: Smithian on May 20, 2007, 03:37:02 pm
He was a 6'1", 180 pound ball boy who couldn't lift the bar on the bench press when he showed up at UCA. He left a first round pick. Can't blame us for not getting him.

Yea, Scottie Pippen grew like 6 inches in college.

RazorRunner

You could also include Mike Conley Jr. who grew up in Fayetteville before the family moved.  He said he grew up wanting to be a Razorback. 

bd93

Quote from: Conway Cool Daddy on May 15, 2007, 10:43:28 am
Wasn't Michael Cage from Arkansas? Seems like there was a kid named Lee from West Memphis as well that was a baller in the NBA.

I remember watching Lee and Cage play a couple of times.  Man, they were good!

hview

Was there an Arkansas player that started for Stanford University?

cardinalhawg

Quote from: hview on May 21, 2007, 11:02:01 pm
Was there an Arkansas player that started for Stanford University?

Dion Cross was the Arkansan who played for Stanford.  I remember his name being brought up during the Hog basketball coaching search, with former Stanford coach, Mike Montgomery, being mentioned by posters as a possible candidate for the position.

sasnakrafan

not trying to make a point or anything, but was karl malone originally from arkansas or weeziana? i was just a thought when he went to college.

olblueyes

Quote from: sasnakrafan on May 22, 2007, 08:48:12 pm
not trying to make a point or anything, but was karl malone originally from arkansas or weeziana? i was just a thought when he went to college.
Karl Malone was born in Bernice Louisiana 7/24/1963. High School was Summerfield High in Summerfield Louisiana. College was Louisiana Tech. 13th pick overall in 1985 by Utah Jazz.
Following, supporting, and rooting the hogs on 24/7 X 365!!!!

cardinalhawg

Quote from: olblueyes on May 22, 2007, 09:03:54 pm
Karl Malone was born in Bernice Louisiana 7/24/1963. High School was Summerfield High in Summerfield Louisiana. College was Louisiana Tech. 13th pick overall in 1985 by Utah Jazz.

I think he may have land in Arkansas, but I am not sure. 

oldfart

Eddie recruited him heavily and was apparently close to getting him before he signed with La Tech. I think he had some grade issues but thats a long time ago.  He was from near the Arkansas border as I recall.. yes he does own a ranch in Arkansas

Quote from: olblueyes on May 22, 2007, 09:03:54 pm