Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

National Championship?

Started by hogmafia, May 13, 2007, 02:53:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogmafia

How long will it take coach Pelphrey to win a NC here at Arkansas? I havent been this excited about our basketball program since the start of the 95 season. Good Luck Pelphrey :razorback:

Proud Hog

Give coach Pel 4 to 5 years to get his type of players and we will be in line for a NC.

hogmafia

It would be nice to have both FB and BB be in line for a NC like Florida.

hogmafia

I think it will Basketball before Football.

tophawg19

he may never win one . there is a lot of luck in winning a n/c but i think we will compete for 1 in 3 years .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hview

I would like us first to compete for an SEC championship. If we reach that level then we'll be competitive for a NC.

gomersnerd

never.

if he gets close Broyles or the new AD-HDN will fire him to take the heat off.
It's time to burn a lower case "t" in his yard to tell him "It's time for you to go".

IcEwalker

its alot harder to win a national championship in football than it is in basketball.
so dont be jumping on nutt for not winning one.
SEC Championship- go ahead.  

tophawg19

why do you have to throw nutt into every thread ? give us a break . if you can't add to a thread then please leave it alone . this is a basketball thread .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

arkjay19

wow, it really is NC or bust here in Arkansas

holtzhog

Should have been that way for years

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: holtzhog on May 13, 2007, 06:07:38 pm

So we should fire every coach who doesnt win a NC?

Lanlord

If you don't then you end up with an eighty something year old AD.

Heck, we've even fired a coach who won a NC.

Hogs-n-Roses

Pigskin_Porker

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 13, 2007, 06:16:42 pm

Eventually . . . YES!  Fire them if they can't produce the rings!
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

HITCHER

If Frank would just crawl off and leave things be, I'd say 3 to 4 years. By the way, Frank and the U of A claim to have won a National Championship in 1964. It's not on the net, not in any football publications, not even in the Almanac. I see no where that says Arkansas won a National Title in Football in 1964. HUMMMMMMMM?????

hawaiianhogster

I give him as long as he needs. As long as he gets us in the winning bracket and in the top ten constantly. I give every coach five years to get us to the elite eight.

The team coming back has been to the NCAAT twice in a row. He should get us past that first game at least. He should get us eligible to play in the NCAAT in 2008 before the SECT begins.

Realistically he should be given the chance to build his team with his recruited players for five years. That senior class should get us there to the final game of the NCAAT or darn close to it.

Just get our team playing hard and smart for 40 minutes each game and I will be happy. The wins will be habitual. Frank? Is that you?

hawgsav1

Quote from: HITCHER on May 13, 2007, 07:43:10 pm
If Frank would just crawl off and leave things be, I'd say 3 to 4 years. By the way, Frank and the U of A claim to have won a National Championship in 1964. It's not on the net, not in any football publications, not even in the Almanac. I see no where that says Arkansas won a National Title in Football in 1964. HUMMMMMMMM?????

The 1964 championship disparity was because in those days, the polls were finished before the bowl games.  However, that season, Alabama was number one in most and Arkansas was number two in most.  Both were undefeated.  However, Alabama lost it's bowl game while Arkansas won it's bowl game, leaving us as the only undefeated squad.  But all the major polls except the Football Writers Poll had come out already.  We were the best team yet due to poll error we were discounted.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

mword

VoR

If we don't make a serious run for it this year ( which I think we can honestly be thought of as a dark horse) then it will be at least 2 more years and most likely 3 years as 08 is going to be a complete rebuilding season (5 players isn't enough of a nucleus) short of a miracle season.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: HITCHER on May 13, 2007, 07:43:10 pm

Umm.....your wrong.

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/history

Yes, we won the NC in 1964.

Bomis Hawg

Depends. 
I want Coach Pel to get his system in place with his style of players.  He has a mesh of players now.
We'll see if he recruits to his style and not just picking the best player available.
If we are looking up the well in 4 years still and not consistantly getting to the top of the division, we should evaluate things.

It's not always about national titles.  If they aren't playing for a regular season or tournament title in 4 years, we might should look. 

Beaverfever

Idk, the team this comming year should be seriously good.  Best since '95 I'd say.  NO ONE in the sec will have a starting 5 to match ours.  By the end of the year each of our starters could very well be considered in the top 2 at their position in the sec.  Depth at guard might cause a few problems.  If either Britt or Rakestraw can be a pretty good first year contributor and provide a solid 4/5 guard rotation, then a nc won't be out of the picture this year, especially with all the early entries into the nba (like 55 or something?!?).  I'm excited!

dotnet

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on May 15, 2007, 09:16:22 am
Depends. 
I want Coach Pel to get his system in place with his style of players.  He has a mesh of players now.
We'll see if he recruits to his style and not just picking the best player available.
If we are looking up the well in 4 years still and not consistantly getting to the top of the division, we should evaluate things.

It's not always about national titles.  If they aren't playing for a regular season or tournament title in 4 years, we might should look. 

I agree... rhis was my problem with Stan, not the tournament.  I think a lot of other things come in to play during the tournament that you have no control over.  That and upsets happen.

If in four years we are continually winning our division, then other good things will eventually happen.  It may not be immediate (ie. Florida), but it will eventually.

Bomis Hawg

If you are in the top 2 of your division and consistantly fighting for the SEC overall and SECT title, you're going to be in the top of the nation and a top contender for the national title.

Starts there and works up.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Beaverfever on May 15, 2007, 10:36:19 am
Idk, the team this comming year should be seriously good.  Best since '95 I'd say.  NO ONE in the sec will have a starting 5 to match ours.  By the end of the year each of our starters could very well be considered in the top 2 at their position in the sec.  Depth at guard might cause a few problems.  If either Britt or Rakestraw can be a pretty good first year contributor and provide a solid 4/5 guard rotation, then a nc won't be out of the picture this year, especially with all the early entries into the nba (like 55 or something?!?).  I'm excited!

I agree. We should be the favorites to win the SEC West this season with all the talent we have returning.  If Pel can whip them into shape then they shouldn't have a problem fitting into his system.  If we can win the West and everyone stays healthy...then I could see us making a serious run in the NCAA tourney. 

After this year things could dip a bit.  Although we would have Patrick Beverley, Michael Washington, Stefan Welsh, Michael Sanchez and others still around.  That could make for a pretty decent team still.  I look for us to be very competitive from this year on.

GO HOGS!

Held Hawgstage

This new guy needs to win now. Not in 3-4 years. Now. He wasn't brought in to rebuild a program. That was already done by the sweat of another man's brow. He was supposedly brought in to take us to the next level because allegedly our prior coach could not do so. So let's now lower expectations by saying he should bring in his own players. Nope. He was brought in to win with the players on campus. He was brought in to win with Heath's players. He knows this...no excuses. He wins now. If a proven coach becomes available in the interim we go after them. We don't wait around until the base grows weary again. Let's be proactive this time around. And let's stop with this wait until he gets his own players because then that leads to they need experience blah blah blah. It's do or die. Now or never. Raise the bar.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 15, 2007, 11:34:57 am
This new guy needs to win now. Not in 3-4 years. Now. He wasn't brought in to rebuild a program. That was already done by the sweat of another man's brow. He was supposedly brought in to take us to the next level because allegedly our prior coach could not do so. So let's now lower expectations by saying he should bring in his own players. Nope. He was brought in to win with the players on campus. He was brought in to win with Heath's players. He knows this...no excuses. He wins now. If a proven coach becomes available in the interim we go after them. We don't wait around until the base grows weary again. Let's be proactive this time around. And let's stop with this wait until he gets his own players because then that leads to they need experience blah blah blah. It's do or die. Now or never. Raise the bar.

I actually agree.  He does need to win now.  And  certainly think he has the tools to do it.  Let's see:

Big men? Check.
Big men who can shoot? Check.
Athletes? Check.
3 pt shooters? Check.
Defenders? check.

All that's missing is some conditioning and 5 months should be plenty of time to get that taken care of.

I agree that he needs to win now and I really think that he will win now.  Look for a deep tourney run this season (barring any devastating injuries).

Held Hawgstage

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 15, 2007, 11:47:24 am

I actually agree.  He does need to win now.  And  certainly think he has the tools to do it.  Let's see:

Big men? Check.
Athletes? Check.
3 pt shooters? Check.
Defenders? check.

All that's missing is some conditioning and 5 months should be plenty of time to get that taken care of.

I agree that he needs to win now and I really think that he will win now.  Look for a deep tourney run this season (barring any devastating injuries).

Be careful Columbianhog, agreeing with me may get you label as a unloyal fan and get you thrown out of the Garden of Utopia.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 15, 2007, 11:53:06 am

Big men? Check.
Athletes? Check.
3 pt shooters? Check.
Defenders? check.

Be careful Columbianhog, agreeing with me may get you label as a unloyal fan and get you thrown out of the Garden of Utopia.

Yeah, well....I've been called worse. 

Bomis Hawg

Winning next year shouldn't be the problem.
The following 1-3 years will be with a lot of departing Seniors.  That's where Pelphrey's cash will be made.  If he wins, like he should next year, he will get recruits that should have wins following.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on May 15, 2007, 11:59:53 am
Winning next year shouldn't be the problem.
The following 1-3 years will be with a lot of departing Seniors.  That's where Pelphrey's cash will be made.  If he wins, like he should next year, he will get recruits that should have wins following.

Yep.

2007: Hill, Thomas, Townes, Hunter, Weems, Ervin
2008: McGowan
2009: Beverley, Welsh, Washington
2010: Sanchez, Britt, Rakestraw

Beverley, Welsh, and Washington will be a triplet to build around.  Hopefully Sanchez will be a stud and we can build around him after that.  The pieces are in place...let's hope Coach Pelphrey makes it work.

Beaverfever

Big men? Check.
Athletes? Check.
3 pt shooters? Check.
Defenders? check.

We do not have 3 pt shooters...that's going to be our main problem...AGAIN.

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Beaverfever on May 15, 2007, 01:41:06 pm

Big men? Check.
Athletes? Check.
3 pt shooters? Check.
Defenders? check.

Beverley, Welsh, and Weems have all proven they can knock it down.  Ervin seems to hit quite a few as well.  Rakestraw should be a shooter to add to them.  While none of them are JJ Redick they can still make the 3.  Granted, we were streaky last year but the talent is there.

Held Hawgstage

The problem with the 3 point shot is if you live by the 3 you die by the 3. That's exactly what happened in the last two games with Florida and USC. We were hot in the SEC tournament and then fizzled out. No one was willing to take it to the hole and you would think at the DIV 1 level they didn't need a coach to tell them that. I don't want to see another 3 point shot until I see one of them take it the the rim with authority!

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Held Hawgstage on May 15, 2007, 01:47:45 pm
The problem with the 3 point shot is if you live by the 3 you die by the 3. That's exactly what happened in the last two games with Florida and USC. We were hot in the SEC tournament and then fizzled out. No one was willing to take it to the hole and you would think at the DIV 1 level they didn't need a coach to tell them that. I don't want to see another 3 point shot until I see one of them take it the the rim with authority!

It'll be nice seeing Weems on the fast break a lot this season.  He'll be taking to the rim with authority!

Held Hawgstage

Now that will be a sight for sore eyes. Once the team realizes Weems, Beverly, Washington, and Welsh are their best offensive options, the better they will be. But if you have Thomas or Townes not willing to understand that...we'll be in trouble.

Beaverfever

Quote from: ColumbianHog on May 15, 2007, 01:44:48 pm
Quote from: Beaverfever on May 15, 2007, 01:41:06 pm

Big men? Check.
Athletes? Check.
3 pt shooters? Check.
Defenders? check.

Beverley, Welsh, and Weems have all proven they can knock it down.  Ervin seems to hit quite a few as well.  Rakestraw should be a shooter to add to them.  While none of them are JJ Redick they can still make the 3.  Granted, we were streaky last year but the talent is there.
Consider the last several national champions.  I doubt any of these guys but Beverly would be considered an good 3 point shooter on any of these teams.  While Weems, Ervin, and Welsh have their moments, none are big time 3 point threats like the late 90's razorback teams were littered with.  Those teams all had 4-5 good 3 point shooters.

tolerati

"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Ftsmithmike

Quote from: hogmafia on May 13, 2007, 02:53:22 pm
How long will it take coach Pelphrey to win a NC here at Arkansas? I havent been this excited about our basketball program since the start of the 95 season. Good Luck Pelphrey :razorback:
Man Im glad to hear you post something positive. I take back all that stuff about you not being a fan. We will win the west. We will win Sec Tourney. We will make a deep run into the NCAAT. 25 wins min. Go Hogs.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

BigDave70

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

cosmodrum

Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 13, 2007, 06:16:42 pm

Yes, if they promise one and ten years later have not produced one, or any championship for that matter, they should be let go.
Go away, batin'

wholehog92

I think we should win next year, but the next couple of years could be lean, but I would still think we would be considered likely for the tournament at low seeds.  This next year all that is missing is consistant point play from last year.  With our defense, the need for the three is not as strong.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

justonefan

I look for us to have some losses early in the next season due to players learning a new system along with a tough non-con schedule.  But should come on strong during conference play, with twenty wins before the SEC tournament starts, including some good conference road wins and a trip to the sweet sixteen.  That would be a big improvement.  About the same the following year.  Consistent contention for SEC championships and trips to Elite 8 and Final 4 after that with finishes in the top 20 rankings.  As has been said, it takes a lot of luck along with your talent and skill to get the NC.  I just want to see us consistently in position to have the ball drop our way.

Smithian

We need three things more than anything to happen, in my mind, for us to have the legit chance to make a run and beat a couple power teams in the tournament.

1. We need Townes to get better and more consistent. He is our only guy who can truly post up offensively with efficency. Thomas and Washington are good scorers, but neither have his natual ability to post up at time.

2. We need one more guard outside of Welsh, Ervin, and Beverley. Ervin and Beverley both wore down last season. Plus, Welsh is also got some minutes as our backup small forward to Weems. The three guard lineup looked nice except we didn't have any guard to sub in. If Britt or Rakestraw can provide us anything, it will help.

3. Ervin must be better. We all know he can shoot the three at times, dunk it, drive, etc, but he must be better at rotating the ball. If he can run the offense, we'll be much better off than last year where it just looked awkward. We're going to face a lot of good PGs come tournament times. Off the top of my head, I think of Lawson at UNC, Augustin at Texas, Paulus at Duke, and I am sure the other year in and year out teams in the Elite Eight will be walking out excellent PGs.

More than anything, if Ervin becomes a better and more consistent PG, we have something special on this team.

Bad PG play, maybe Sweet 16 if we're lucky. If all those things I posted happen, we will be at worst int he Elite 8.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Smithian on May 29, 2007, 07:22:47 am
We need three things more than anything to happen, in my mind, for us to have the legit chance to make a run and beat a couple power teams in the tournament.

1. We need Townes to get better and more consistent. He is our only guy who can truly post up offensively with efficency. Thomas and Washington are good scorers, but neither have his natual ability to post up at time.

2. We need one more guard outside of Welsh, Ervin, and Beverley. Ervin and Beverley both wore down last season. Plus, Welsh is also got some minutes as our backup small forward to Weems. The three guard lineup looked nice except we didn't have any guard to sub in. If Britt or Rakestraw can provide us anything, it will help.

3. Ervin must be better. We all know he can shoot the three at times, dunk it, drive, etc, but he must be better at rotating the ball. If he can run the offense, we'll be much better off than last year where it just looked awkward. We're going to face a lot of good PGs come tournament times. Off the top of my head, I think of Lawson at UNC, Augustin at Texas, Paulus at Duke, and I am sure the other year in and year out teams in the Elite Eight will be walking out excellent PGs.

More than anything, if Ervin becomes a better and more consistent PG, we have something special on this team.

Bad PG play, maybe Sweet 16 if we're lucky. If all those things I posted happen, we will be at worst int he Elite 8.
All good points.  But I don't think Welsh is Weems backup at the 3.  I'm thinking that will be V Hunter and Rakestraw this year.  Am I forgetting someone?

ColumbianHog

Quote from: Smithian on May 29, 2007, 07:22:47 am

Nice post.  I almost agree about Townes being our only post-up threat.  I say almost because I think Washington is capable and I think Hill will show improvement this season.  Thomas doesn't post up as well but is a monster rebounder and will get lots of garbage points.