Quote from: Head Dahn Hog on May 10, 2007, 10:38:01 am
Quote from: USAF Hog on May 10, 2007, 10:21:46 am
Quote from: 311Hog on May 10, 2007, 09:59:54 am
Quote from: Razor-back on May 10, 2007, 09:53:28 am
Quote from: IronHog on May 06, 2007, 07:17:13 pm
Quote from: ilovepinebluff on May 06, 2007, 07:08:38 pm
Quote from: IronHog on May 06, 2007, 07:04:00 pm
Quote from: 870hogg on May 06, 2007, 06:04:56 pm
The hogs are in bad need of a true rival.  Texas has lost it's luster as the new generation of fans actually root for them sometimes.  The national media (CBS) helps us out by televising the golden boot game everything friday after thanksgiving.  Let's not forget LSU has turned the Rock into their house.  Also I don't care what we are ranked and they are ranked you can throw it out the window.  LSU has our number.   It's time for fans to start hating LSU with a passion and get behind our team everytime we play them.  Lower Arkansas is sick of taking heat from these tiger fans.   Hate Those Tigers....!!!

Whatever. We will be lucky if TCU doesn't take our place in the SEC soon.

He is the new attitude of far too many fans:

I'm just enjoying being in the SEC.  Did you see Florida and ND win those BCS games this year? That was great.  I was proud.  We must be good too because we are in the SEC.  We are doing the best we can because we are just a little state with poor HS football. The SEC rules.  All those SWC championships were nothing because the SWC was not a good conference........... 

Why would TCU take our place?

Because we have not proved we belong in the SEC unless they were just looking for second tier patsies.  Give someone else a shot so we can accept our mid-major status in a mid-major conference.  I am sick of this attitude coming from the BAC that we can't beat a Florida or a LSU on a regular basis..

We went to the SEC championship game in Football and Basketball last year.  WE BELONG!!!  The Big 12 would be a better fit for us in Football though.

Wrong, you dont belong unless you win.  Moral Victories do not count.

Dang, there are a lot of teams in the SEC that don't belong in the SEC. I guess you can only belong in a conference if you win the championship game.

That's a tough standard.

It's a tough standard, but that's the way it is.  The SEC will always be a football conference first, bar none.  Since we've been in the conference, 6 teams have won the championship.  Obviously, Arkansas is not one of those teams.  If someone from another part of the country was refering to SEC football, they could refer to any one of those 6 teams and get no arguement from me.  If Arkansas was their first reference, I would be shocked.  That's just the way it is.  Championships bring recognition.  We have yet to take a seat at that table.

I like your passion for football, but the SEC is also a dominant force in basketball.

We belong in the SEC.

Agreed that the SEC is a dominant force in basketball.  I also agree that we belong in the SEC.  Just saying that the SEC will alway be synonomous with football first.  If it was a football championship and not basketball in '94, we would never have this conversation. 

I smell what you're cooking, but, thanks to Florida, the SEC is the conference to beat in basketball now too. The SEC has pulled itself out of the "one-sport conference" syndrome.

Saying that, I don't see many teams that could stand the SEC conference football schedule.

I disagree a bit with you giving Florida the props for "putting SEC basketball" on the map. It has always been on the map, SEC basketball is also the best basketball conference in the nation, but this is still a football conference because football is number 1 in the south always has, always will be.

So many SEC teams have made it to the Final Four, won the NCAA championship etc in basketball in the last 15 years i cant even count them all.  What signals to the world that you have arrived is winning the National Championship in football, and/or a Conference championship.  Divisional "titles" are a joke if you strive to be in the elite, right now we belong in the SEC, the BOTTOM of the SEC, all hail the King of the "almost's".

Don't know what the Razorbacks did to belong at the bottom of the SEC. Those young men won 10 regular season games. The players don't deserve to be the bottom for that.

Keep polishing that turd, i can almost see my reflection.

You dont understand again, we are the "Kings of the "almosts". Every SEC ranking from top to bottem in football where do you find Arkansas?

In the Middle that is where, we are the Kings of the Losers, we cant beat the good teams but we shore look gud against the basement teams.

I think there are a few guys in Cardinal jerseys that might disagree.

"If you aren't first you are last" 

Well, I guess I can't argue against that logic.

Blue35

No, coon asses are not the Texas Longhorns, never will be.

bigghurtt

Quote from: 870hogg on May 06, 2007, 06:04:56 pm
The hogs are in bad need of a true rival.  Texas has lost it's luster as the new generation of fans actually root for them sometimes.  The national media (CBS) helps us out by televising the golden boot game everything friday after thanksgiving.  Let's not forget LSU has turned the Rock into their house.  Also I don't care what we are ranked and they are ranked you can throw it out the window.  LSU has our number.   It's time for fans to start hating LSU with a passion and get behind our team everytime we play them.  Lower Arkansas is sick of taking heat from these tiger fans.   Hate Those Tigers....!!!

I will stop hating texass the day they shut down their athletic department.

and I die.

and I no longer have the ability to hate because I am in heaven.

tuck fexass.

HogGod

Quote from: 311Hog on May 11, 2007, 09:36:04 am

"Damn, Ricky, I was drunk when I said that.  That don't even make any sense.  'If you're not first, you're last'...Hell, you could be 2nd or 3rd..."

~Reese Bobby, Talladega Nights, explaining to Ricky Bobby how stupid his catch phrase was.

LSUAlum24

Meh, it'll take alot of time for LSU-Ark to come close to Texas.  LSU has no rivals similar to Aub-Ala or UGA-UF.  The hottest matchup is Auburn but LSU is third to Auburn behind UGA and Bama.  Bama has Tenn and Aub.  Ole Miss used to be LSU's biggest rival but that has faded.  LSU is lacking a true hated rival and Arkansas is in the same position. It will happen assuming Ark is in the SEC long term.  Ole Miss is never going to be good ever again.

AFWarrior83

I've heard LSU fans are the worst in the SEC, but I've never met one, and people that I talk to on-line from LSU or follow LSU are nice people and say we are a scary team to play in Nov. On the other hand you have those Texas inbreds that try and say the same thing about us, and they try and act like their sh*t don't stink. I HATE TEXAS!! I can stand LSU, but I am getting tired of losing close games to them...
Hogville member since 2005.

jimblast

2 things:

1.  Arkansas isn't leaving the SEC from a shared revenue standpoint.  Bolting to the Little XII means less revenue and even less exposure nationally. 

2.  It is a perfect scenario and pretty much a guarantee that Arkansas/LSU will not only become a fierce rivalry, the two schools are destined to be arch rivals. 

LSU and Arkansas are starving for an arch rival whereby the logistics are conference involvement are mutual.  Think about it:

*Texas does not remotely consider Arkansas their arch rival and never will.  Ask most Longhorns and the majority will say OU while others will mention A&M.  That makes about as much sense as LSU considering Auburn or Alabama as their number one rival.  Bama has an in state rival in Auburn and of course Tennessee is another major Alabama rival.  Arkansas rarely will play Texas in the future.

*Not only do Arkansas and LSU play every year, it is marked as the final SEC game for both teams annually.  Both teams have shown success in the SEC and this game is typically a pivotal game for either one or both teams with regard to winning the SEC West.  Its cyclical as one team will string a few wins in the rivalry while the other is 'down'.

*LSU's arch rival used to be Ole Miss.  The Rebels are pretty much an afterthought now.  Arkansas and LSU both have a very rich football tradition.  Neither team really has an 'in state' rival, yet they are border states.

LSU has not always been in the SEC, and its time to quit calling Arkansas 'the new kid on the block' as the Hogs have been welcomed into the SEC for fifteen years.  Arkansas has shown more success than other SEC schools that have participated since the SEC Championship Game's inception such as Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, not to mention far besting South Carolina's SECCG appearances.

Did I miss something or did Arkansas have a 10 win season last year in by far the toughest conference in the land?  All in all?  Arkansas has fared very well in football not to mention other sports. 

LSU has shown success over the decades in the SEC but much of their success has been recent in sports.  The schools have extraordinarily similar winning traditions. 

It is 'done deal' that LSU and Arkansas will become arch rivals and likely one of the more fierce rivalries in the SEC and possibly nationally as time goes on.  The Arkansas Baby Boomers are aging and arriving on retirement age.  In those 15 years, 4 generations of 4 year college students have graduated and now we're in the midst of a 5th generation.  Those kids see Arkansas play LSU within their division and as a border state flagship school at season's end each year.  Texas is becoming an afterthought in terms of a rivalry. 

One of the only things standing in the way is the heinous 'boot' trophy.  Seriously though, there are way too many major factors contributing to these two traditionally rich football programs to be on an epic collision course which will result in an arch rivalry. 

Like it or not, its the future.  For the record, I'm an LSU alumni.  From the moment Arkansas joined the conference I was thrilled at the prospect of finally having a serious arch rival.  Trust me, LSU fans do not take Arkansas lightly.  I promise that there will be years where one team is highly ranked while the other keeps that team from playing in the SECCG and possibly for a national championship.  I cannot wait for both teams to be in the top ten before the Thanksgiving week kickoff.  One day....before we're all gone, Arkansas and LSU will enter that game as the top 2 teams in the country.  Farfetched?  Take a look at the history of the 2 schools. 

By the way, Arkansas should be proud of their accomplishments in the SEC.  Tougher competition?  Of course!  It makes winning all the more worthwhile.  Do you really want to replace LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, Florida and Georgia with the likes of Kansas, Okie State, Baylor, Texas Tech, and Iowa State? 

Practically every week is a war with few breaks in your schedule.  You're in the elite conference now and you've actually fared well so far.  Be patient.  Trust me that Arkansas will become a major SEC power and win championships.  When you do.....you'll be the big fish in the big pond......not the big fish in the little pond a.k.a. Southwest or Little XII conference.

Welcome to the SEC guys.......don't think that many LSU fans aren't proud of you.  We are.  You've shown success in this conference and there's many more successes to follow.  Don't kid youselves.  This is shaping up to be a fierce arch rivalry.  Bank on it.

hawaiianhogster

For me LSU is our rival. We beat them and we win the SEC west outright and go to a BCS bowl game. We beat them and we beat the best team in the SEC west. They have more money and better coaches than we do just like Texas. We have a difficult time beating them every year just like Texas. Their fans are a holes just like Texas. They dominate us most of the time just like Texas. They get better recruits just like Texas. I hate them just like Texas. Yep they are my knew Texas. We have got to beat them every year and rub it in their faces. We owe them big time to beat them in their house this season, which I don't think we can with Nutt. But with luck we have a chance.

PrescottHog

No, living in Texas and to listen to all of there crap makes me sick so LSU will never even come close to the hatred i have for Texass.

AR_dustoff

May 13, 2007, 06:21:21 am #109 Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 06:24:39 am by AR_dustoff
Its still sweeter to beat Tx than LSU, IMHO.  I'm 26, so we've been in the SEC during most of the time I've been closely following the Hogs, but something in me just hates TX.

twistitup

no, I hate Texas....deep down

Louisiana is home to my relatives.....don't feel as much hatred--although I love to kick the shiiite out of them when possible.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

311Hog

Quote from: HogGod on May 12, 2007, 02:04:49 pm

"Damn, Ricky, I was drunk when I said that.  That don't even make any sense.  'If you're not first, you're last'...Hell, you could be 2nd or 3rd..."

~Reese Bobby, Talladega Nights, explaining to Ricky Bobby how stupid his catch phrase was.

But we arent even 2nd or 3rd.  We are the 4th best team in the SEC on a "Great" season....

Ftsmithmike

Quote from: coachp on May 11, 2007, 02:19:05 pm
Quote from: Ftsmithmike on May 10, 2007, 10:41:05 am
Quote from: Luke STYwalker on May 10, 2007, 07:24:27 am
I do remember Texas being a big rival game back in the 80's and in the last few years, it has proven to still be a very big one...  I guess I never had true hatred for them.. I was pulling for them big time against usc in that championship game..
  A team that I never fail to hate is aTm..    I'm pissed off everytime I ever hear that name mentioned..  I want them to lose always..    I would rather watch "brokeback mountain" all the way through than to watch a game where that team wins..
This quote is wrong in so many ways. I mean is it ok to just watch half of it?
So whats the difference between an aggie and a boy scout? A boy scout knows how to build a bonfire.

I hate Aggie more than anything but come on, people died and you think that is funny?  Show some class!
Im sorry. +1 for having more class.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

311Hog

Quote from: jimblast on May 12, 2007, 09:07:17 pm
2 things:

1.  Arkansas isn't leaving the SEC from a shared revenue standpoint.  Bolting to the Little XII means less revenue and even less exposure nationally. 

2.  It is a perfect scenario and pretty much a guarantee that Arkansas/LSU will not only become a fierce rivalry, the two schools are destined to be arch rivals. 

LSU and Arkansas are starving for an arch rival whereby the logistics are conference involvement are mutual.  Think about it:

*Texas does not remotely consider Arkansas their arch rival and never will.  Ask most Longhorns and the majority will say OU while others will mention A&M.  That makes about as much sense as LSU considering Auburn or Alabama as their number one rival.  Bama has an in state rival in Auburn and of course Tennessee is another major Alabama rival.  Arkansas rarely will play Texas in the future.

*Not only do Arkansas and LSU play every year, it is marked as the final SEC game for both teams annually.  Both teams have shown success in the SEC and this game is typically a pivotal game for either one or both teams with regard to winning the SEC West.  Its cyclical as one team will string a few wins in the rivalry while the other is 'down'.

*LSU's arch rival used to be Ole Miss.  The Rebels are pretty much an afterthought now.  Arkansas and LSU both have a very rich football tradition.  Neither team really has an 'in state' rival, yet they are border states.

LSU has not always been in the SEC, and its time to quit calling Arkansas 'the new kid on the block' as the Hogs have been welcomed into the SEC for fifteen years.  Arkansas has shown more success than other SEC schools that have participated since the SEC Championship Game's inception such as Vandy, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, not to mention far besting South Carolina's SECCG appearances.

Did I miss something or did Arkansas have a 10 win season last year in by far the toughest conference in the land?  All in all?  Arkansas has fared very well in football not to mention other sports. 

LSU has shown success over the decades in the SEC but much of their success has been recent in sports.  The schools have extraordinarily similar winning traditions. 

It is 'done deal' that LSU and Arkansas will become arch rivals and likely one of the more fierce rivalries in the SEC and possibly nationally as time goes on.  The Arkansas Baby Boomers are aging and arriving on retirement age.  In those 15 years, 4 generations of 4 year college students have graduated and now we're in the midst of a 5th generation.  Those kids see Arkansas play LSU within their division and as a border state flagship school at season's end each year.  Texas is becoming an afterthought in terms of a rivalry. 

One of the only things standing in the way is the heinous 'boot' trophy.  Seriously though, there are way too many major factors contributing to these two traditionally rich football programs to be on an epic collision course which will result in an arch rivalry. 

Like it or not, its the future.  For the record, I'm an LSU alumni.  From the moment Arkansas joined the conference I was thrilled at the prospect of finally having a serious arch rival.  Trust me, LSU fans do not take Arkansas lightly.  I promise that there will be years where one team is highly ranked while the other keeps that team from playing in the SECCG and possibly for a national championship.  I cannot wait for both teams to be in the top ten before the Thanksgiving week kickoff.  One day....before we're all gone, Arkansas and LSU will enter that game as the top 2 teams in the country.  Farfetched?  Take a look at the history of the 2 schools. 

By the way, Arkansas should be proud of their accomplishments in the SEC.  Tougher competition?  Of course!  It makes winning all the more worthwhile.  Do you really want to replace LSU, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, Florida and Georgia with the likes of Kansas, Okie State, Baylor, Texas Tech, and Iowa State? 

Practically every week is a war with few breaks in your schedule.  You're in the elite conference now and you've actually fared well so far.  Be patient.  Trust me that Arkansas will become a major SEC power and win championships.  When you do.....you'll be the big fish in the big pond......not the big fish in the little pond a.k.a. Southwest or Little XII conference.

Welcome to the SEC guys.......don't think that many LSU fans aren't proud of you.  We are.  You've shown success in this conference and there's many more successes to follow.  Don't kid youselves.  This is shaping up to be a fierce arch rivalry.  Bank on it.

This is a great post and i completely agree, LSU will grow into our cheif rival if they arent already, but i still hate Texas more.

USAF Hog

Quote from: 311Hog on May 14, 2007, 08:46:03 am

But we arent even 2nd or 3rd.  We are the 4th best team in the SEC on a "Great" season....
Getting to the SEC Championship game, even though losing, makes us 2nd in the conference. That's easy math right there.

311Hog

Quote from: USAF Hog on May 14, 2007, 10:21:41 am
Quote from: 311Hog on May 14, 2007, 08:46:03 am

Getting to the SEC Championship game, even though losing, makes us 2nd in the conference. That's easy math right there.

know what else is easy math?  Auburn and LSU both finished with BETTER records and BOWL WINS.  Like i said we are tied for 3rd at best, actually 4th in terms of record.

311Hog

May 14, 2007, 10:31:16 am #116 Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 10:36:43 am by 311Hog
ugh board lag.

Rev. Hog Fan

Quote from: VetRock on May 06, 2007, 08:18:40 pm
I graduated from LSU.  LSU hates Alabama. Like everyone else in the SEC.  They look at Arkansas as more of a nuisance.

I agree. If we ever have more meaningful football games like last year, then it could develop into that rivalry.  But for now, we are still the new kids on the block, and are not taken that seriously.

Echo this--I think for a rivalry to be truly heated, it has to be cooked on both sides--LSU's gotta respect us before we can have a rivalry with them.  (like Michigan and Ohio State both hate/respect each other) I'd say a few years (if not more) where the SEC west is in contention at the battle of the boot would make this a great rivalry.  We already have a good venue and time slot and television.  There have been some great battles too, but I just don't get the sense that LSU really cares about this game more than they do vs. Ole Miss or Bama or whatever.  For that matter, it has been a long time since Texas has really cared about the AR game as much as we care about the TX game.  (Thus their surprise when we stomp them in the Cotton Bowl or beat them in the pre-season)  They're more concerned with OK or A&M or even Tech these days, I'd say.  I remember when I moved to OK and saw all the upside down longhorns on the back of trucks, etc., I thought, "Hey, I thought WE hated Texas, what the hell do they think they're doing?  They're stealing our rival!" 

For what it's worth, I figured TN would be our rival after those years we traded wins (starting with Stoerner's handing the ball over), becasue it felt so good to beat them the following year by the same score and upending their season (they were NC bound if I remember correctly)  Its kind of hard to develop a rivalry with someone in the East though.  I think other than in-state things and old border rivalries from the days before the SEC (Fla GA), the SEC is kind of immune to rivalries because any team can break out a given year and be the important team to beat.  If we have anyone in the SEC though, it is LSU. 

Since 1894

Yea, I hate LSU as much as I hated Texas.
The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

mword

It's not a rival if you don't play that team ever, and we don't play Texas every year.

Rev. Hog Fan

Quote from: 311Hog on May 14, 2007, 09:53:37 am
Quote from: jimblast on May 12, 2007, 09:07:17 pm
2 things:

This is a great post and i completely agree, LSU will grow into our cheif rival if they arent already, but i still hate Texas more.

Okay, after my last post I read this one and got chills--he makes a good case, and did it with class.  See, there's some of that respect that makes for a good rivalry.

cityhog

Don't you have to beat a team occasionally in order for it to be considered a rivalry?  LSU owns us.

mword

Quote from: cityhog on May 14, 2007, 11:07:28 am
Don't you have to beat a team occasionally in order for it to be considered a rivalry?  LSU owns us.

And always will as long as Nutt is the HC.

AllenK

Nothing can take the place of Texas!

LSU could become a great rivalry! Their fans are rabid no doubt.

My aunt and uncle lived in Baton Rouge for 5 years. The people down there are unlike anywhere else I've ever been. I don't necessarily mean that as a bad thing,but it's the truth.
Not drinkin'the Kool-Aid...

LSUfan20

I will agree that the LSU-Arkansas rivalry is largely a manufactured one, but I enjoy it. LSU does not have any major rivals outside of Ole Miss and Auburn, and neither of them consider us their biggest rival.  I would put Arkansas on the bottom of the scale in terms of drawing hatred from LSU fans.  Most of them view Arkansas as the scrappy underacheivers with the "more with less-coach"... you know, the usual nonsense.

bigt05

Its probably cuz im young but i dont really even think of Texas as a rival anymore. I'd much rather beat LSU than Texas anyday. It doesnt even seem like Texas fans care as much as we do about us playin them again.

razorbass