Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC non conference give mes (2007)

Started by arkyvol, April 21, 2007, 12:21:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

deshahawg

We'll always have a couple, but we don't need every non-conference game as one.

DeltaBoy

I am not sure but the UA noncon is a JOKE with the exception of Troy !  I would love to see us play Memphis,Southern Miss, TCU and Baylor in Non com this year. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 30, 2007, 10:41:10 am
I am not sure but the UA noncon is a JOKE with the exception of Troy !  I would love to see us play Memphis,Southern Miss, TCU and Baylor in Non com this year. 

We had tcu this year, but, in order to add tx IN 2008-09,we had to move the TCU series. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

stchane

Quote from: HuntinHog421 on April 30, 2007, 09:58:01 am
Quote from: stchane on April 21, 2007, 06:08:41 pm
Quote from: gangstaback on April 21, 2007, 05:59:46 pm
we brought in malzahns spread offense against USC. Thats what happened.

Uh...Why don't you take a look at what Malzahn's offense did to USC, and then get back to me....http://youtube.com/watch?v=PPyWudGUxc8

As I recall,  Felix Jones fumbled 3 times, and RoJo threw a pick, in addition to MM throwing a pick.  So that's 5 turnovers.  If you want to blame the INT's on Malzahn's offense, fine...be my guest.  However, Felix fumbling 3 times is not the fault of anyone but HDN.  Why?  For not allowing him to take any live contact during fall camp. 

Also keep in mind that the king of the delta blues was playing quarterback for us.  He did have a decent game for him, but thats not saying a whole lot is it?  If they were going to play MM anyway, he shoulda just started.
That was USC's second-string defense.
Oh. My. God. Did you seriously blame Nutt for Felix's fumbles. If felix fumbles the fall, it's felix's fault, and no one else's. If Mitch or Rojo throws a pick, it's Mitch and Rojo's problem. If Sonny Weems misses a shot, nobody goes, "Well, that damn Stan Heath! It's all his fault!"
The coaches do everything but play the game.

How many more fumbles did Felix have the entire year after that game??? Maybe 3 at best.  Its the coaches job to have the players ready to play.  Obviously, he wasn't ready for contact.  Is it his fault he didn't take contact during fall camp???   I might disagree with you on the INT thing too for the same reason.  With enough practice and preparation time, everything should be crystal clear as to what is suppose to happen during a game.  Yes mistakes will happen, and thats just how it is.  But you cannot tell me that Felix was ready to take hits in the USC game. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

cbjagman

Quote from: stchane on April 21, 2007, 04:36:04 pm
Quote from: PigWig on April 21, 2007, 12:37:23 pm
I would rather play 4 easy teams then get romped on opening day again.

I know the TCU deal fell through this year, but whatever.  In order to compete with the big boys, you have to play the big boys.  We've done a decent job of doing that the last four years with Texas and USC.  We need to keep it up; play some good Big Ten or Big 12 teams too.  Thats the only way we are ever going to get any respect nationally.  We started getting it last year by beating Auburn, but thats a conference game.  We haven't had a big Non-Conference win since 2003.  Its time to elevate the program, play the big boys, and change the mindset of Arkansas football
I agree that this coming season's nonconference schedule is a joke; however, in order to "elevate the program and change the mindse of Arkansas football" IMHO you have to do one other thing: change your HC. With HDN you will always be thinking and playing for medicority.

Joe

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Did I mention Fire  :puke: Houston (Text Message) Nutt?!
You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!    
:razorback: Welcome to the future of Razorback football :razorback:

stchane

Quote from: cbjagman on April 30, 2007, 12:22:22 pm

I know the TCU deal fell through this year, but whatever.  In order to compete with the big boys, you have to play the big boys.  We've done a decent job of doing that the last four years with Texas and USC.  We need to keep it up; play some good Big Ten or Big 12 teams too.  Thats the only way we are ever going to get any respect nationally.  We started getting it last year by beating Auburn, but thats a conference game.  We haven't had a big Non-Conference win since 2003.  Its time to elevate the program, play the big boys, and change the mindset of Arkansas football
I agree that this coming season's nonconference schedule is a joke; however, in order to "elevate the program and change the mindse of Arkansas football" IMHO you have to do one other thing: change your HC. With HDN you will always be thinking and playing for medicority.

Couldn't agree more cbjagman
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

HuntinHog421

Quote from: stchane on April 30, 2007, 12:08:48 pm
Quote from: HuntinHog421 on April 30, 2007, 09:58:01 am
Quote from: stchane on April 21, 2007, 06:08:41 pm
Quote from: gangstaback on April 21, 2007, 05:59:46 pm
we brought in malzahns spread offense against USC. Thats what happened.

Uh...Why don't you take a look at what Malzahn's offense did to USC, and then get back to me....http://youtube.com/watch?v=PPyWudGUxc8

As I recall,  Felix Jones fumbled 3 times, and RoJo threw a pick, in addition to MM throwing a pick.  So that's 5 turnovers.  If you want to blame the INT's on Malzahn's offense, fine...be my guest.  However, Felix fumbling 3 times is not the fault of anyone but HDN.  Why?  For not allowing him to take any live contact during fall camp. 

Also keep in mind that the king of the delta blues was playing quarterback for us.  He did have a decent game for him, but thats not saying a whole lot is it?  If they were going to play MM anyway, he shoulda just started.
That was USC's second-string defense.
Oh. My. God. Did you seriously blame Nutt for Felix's fumbles. If felix fumbles the fall, it's felix's fault, and no one else's. If Mitch or Rojo throws a pick, it's Mitch and Rojo's problem. If Sonny Weems misses a shot, nobody goes, "Well, that damn Stan Heath! It's all his fault!"
The coaches do everything but play the game.

How many more fumbles did Felix have the entire year after that game??? Maybe 3 at best.  Its the coaches job to have the players ready to play.  Obviously, he wasn't ready for contact.  Is it his fault he didn't take contact during fall camp???   I might disagree with you on the INT thing too for the same reason.  With enough practice and preparation time, everything should be crystal clear as to what is suppose to happen during a game.  Yes mistakes will happen, and thats just how it is.  But you cannot tell me that Felix was ready to take hits in the USC game. 
Well, I'm pretty sure you'd have a big objection if he allowed Felix to take hits and then got him hurt.
Better safe than sorry.
Nutt is gone, so let's move on.

Hog in MO

May 02, 2007, 10:20:28 pm #58 Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 10:21:59 pm by Hog in MO
Quote from: stchane on April 29, 2007, 08:24:17 pm
Quote from: Hog in MO on April 29, 2007, 09:18:56 am

let's think about that logic for a second.  How many of the top 10 teams from other conferences  play a schedule as tough as most SEC schools play every season?  There's no need for us to schedule a USC or Texas every year when we already have Florida, LSU, Tennessee, Georgia, Auburn and Alabama.  The only years that we need to add a team like this from out of conference are years like last year when we aren't playing Florida or Georgia from the East - but even then you don't really need to because you still have LSU, Auburn and Alabama.

You don't see other SEC schools stepping out of conference on a regular basis to play those type of games.  Maybe we need to recognize that the SEC carries enough clout on its own.  If you beat LSU, Florida, Tennessee and Auburn then you get respect.  I still love playing Texas, but that's just a selfish fan obsession.  The team doesn't need that game.  What they need is a break against a weaker opponent so they can rest and get healthy in the middle of the season - or they need a couple of warm up games at the beginning of the year so they can get themselves ready for the "big boys" that we already play in conference. 

Read more, Post less.  This was already discussed.  The conclusion was that we need to play one Non-Conference game per year against a team from another major conference.

So, according to you that was the conclusion and we should all agree with it with no further discussion or opinion needed?  I'll post my thoughts where I want and when I want, but thanks for your smartassed comment.  It made my day :)

mj4president

Out of all the crap that is spilled on this board this is by far the topic that ruffles my feathers the most. We Play Tennesee, Auburn, LSU, South Carolina, Bama (will be better), a much improved Kentucky team this next year. Last year we played USC, LSU, FLORIDA, AUBURN, TENNESSEE, and WISCONSIN. And fans bitched that it was a CUP CAKE. TAKE A LOOK AT THE TEAMS I JUST WROTE. Yes I believe all 6 are in the top 25, I believe that 5 are in the top 15, and I think 4 are in the top 6. Are those teams big enough boys? I would say so.
By the way THE WHOLE CONFERENCE IS PLAYING CRAP NON CONFERENCE GAMES.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

humphrey

Quote from: jjones on April 29, 2007, 10:02:04 pm
Quote from: demonHOG1013 on April 29, 2007, 09:47:45 am
Troy has a hell of non-conf. schedule. Arkansas, Georgia, and Florida!!

welcome to the SEC troy!  you can join the west and we'll just quit traveling to starkville

When did Troy join the SEC?  They play a tougher schedule (and almost as many SEC games) than the Hogs do!

stchane

Quote from: mj4president on May 02, 2007, 10:25:52 pm
Out of all the crap that is spilled on this board this is by far the topic that ruffles my feathers the most. We Play Tennesee, Auburn, LSU, South Carolina, Bama (will be better), a much improved Kentucky team this next year. Last year we played USC, LSU, FLORIDA, AUBURN, TENNESSEE, and WISCONSIN. And fans bitched that it was a CUP CAKE. TAKE A LOOK AT THE TEAMS I JUST WROTE. Yes I believe all 6 are in the top 25, I believe that 5 are in the top 15, and I think 4 are in the top 6. Are those teams big enough boys? I would say so.

The big-boys of the conference are playing AT LEAST 1 major non-conference team.  Of those teams that you wrote, how many did we beat??  If we can't beat the big-boys, how are we gonna develop the players to be nationally competitive and win a NC??

Quote from: Hog in MO on May 02, 2007, 10:20:28 pm
So, according to you that was the conclusion and we should all agree with it with no further discussion or opinion needed?  I'll post my thoughts where I want and when I want, but thanks for your smartassed comment.  It made my day :)

The point was not to make your day, or ruffle your little feathers, but to get you to look at the reasoning behind the conclusion.  Do whatever you want with you opinion, its the only thing that any of us truly have to ourselves.  But at least look at the reasoning behind what conclusion was drawn; and then decide whether it makes sense to you or not; then make your conclusion and support it.  That was the point.  I would quote it, but its on page 1 of this thread.

Hog in MO

Quote from: stchane on May 03, 2007, 01:16:19 am

The big-boys of the conference are playing AT LEAST 1 major non-conference team.  Of those teams that you wrote, how many did we beat??  If we can't beat the big-boys, how are we gonna develop the players to be nationally competitive and win a NC??

The point was not to make your day, or ruffle your little feathers, but to get you to look at the reasoning behind the conclusion.  Do whatever you want with you opinion, its the only thing that any of us truly have to ourselves.  But at least look at the reasoning behind what conclusion was drawn; and then decide whether it makes sense to you or not; then make your conclusion and support it.  That was the point.  I would quote it, but its on page 1 of this thread.

You stated that we don't play the big boys and therefore cannot prove ourselves on a national level.  I stated that we DO in fact play the big boys - the biggest boys in the nation are already in our conference.  its irrelevant who we play out of conference because our strength of schedule - based solely on conference games -  will always be strong enough to compare favorably with any team in the nation. What reasoning do I need to look at?  you stated your opinion, I replied with my own.  My feathers aren't ruffuled - but if someone replies to my post with a snide comment then they'll get one in return. 

Ftsmithmike

southern miss, UCF, Western Carolina, Florida state + 1 SEC Loss = NCG Gators 2006.
It would seem we are just behind the times. It was a great formula for success because if the gators had played any top teams out of conf they might have had a bad day and gotten trounced. I like what Arkansas is doing this year. We are legitimizing the SEC. The same way florida did last year. If we sweep we go #1 if we drop one but win the SEC and all things being equal we will be there for the first time in a long time. I for one am ready for it.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

BigDave70

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

stchane

Quote from: Hog in MO on May 03, 2007, 02:21:51 am
Quote from: stchane on May 03, 2007, 01:16:19 am

You stated that we don't play the big boys and therefore cannot prove ourselves on a national level.  I stated that we DO in fact play the big boys - the biggest boys in the nation are already in our conference.  its irrelevant who we play out of conference because our strength of schedule - based solely on conference games -  will always be strong enough to compare favorably with any team in the nation. What reasoning do I need to look at?  you stated your opinion, I replied with my own.  My feathers aren't ruffuled - but if someone replies to my post with a snide comment then they'll get one in return. 

Since your too lazy to do the read the board, I'll do the legwork:  (from previous post in this thread)

"I thought it was good that we were playing USC because that would give us a gauge on how far we have to go.  But come to find out, we aren't committed to winning anyway, so what's the point?  When the new people (AD, Head Coach) come in next year, we had damn well better recommit to winning.  We should play at the very least One big-boy Non-Conference team.  NON-CONFERENCE being the key word and/or words there.

Playing a major non-conference opponent isn't going to matter in winning 10 games.  Playing harder competition is going to make us better.  You can't win a conference or NC by beating cupcakes.  You hafta win big games against good teams."

Other people agreed that playing one major conference team would be healthy for our team, program, etc. etc.  They don't hafta be a top 5 team, but my goodness, at least be in a major conference.  Is that really to much to ask for??  If we compare favorably to anyone in the nation, whats the point in scheduling cupcakes?  Why not play a real game against a real team, and get our players real experience that will give them preparation for post-season play? 

The SEC is the best conference in America; anyone who doesn't agree with that is kidding themselves.  Its also a smash mouth conference for the most part, and you get beat up.  Not every conference is like that.  So playing teams from outta conference would give an edge in how to play in big-games.  Look at the last 4 major non-conference opponents:  Wisconsin, USC (x2), and Texas.  We didn't win one of those games.  So that should tell you where we are on a national level. 

Most of that is the coach we have, but that gets beat into the ground in every thread doesn't it?  Solution?  Schedule one major conference team per year.  I don't really care who it is.  Iowa?  Baylor?  West Virginia would be fun? Rutgers? Another Pac-10 team?  If we compare so well to all these Major non-conference opponents, why haven't we beaten one since 2003?

DEVIL DOG HOG

The NCAA should have ALL major conference schools play all but one major teams. That way we would be closer to a true NC. When the NCAA went to a 12 game schedule the Pac 10 conference went to a full 9 game schedule the only major conference to do this.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

hogsanity

Quote from: DEVIL DOG HOG on May 03, 2007, 07:27:38 am
The NCAA should have ALL major conference schools play all but one major teams. That way we would be closer to a true NC. When the NCAA went to a 12 game schedule the Pac 10 conference went to a full 9 game schedule the only major conference to do this.

The first thing the ncaa should do is stop counting games against non-d1 opponents as wins toward bowl eligibility.  That would cut out alot of the garbage games.  Of course, it would cut out a ton of $ to d1aa schools, and home games for d1 schools, so we know that isnt going to happen.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE