Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ALL posts about Altman's PC in Omaha go HERE (Seriously, read more and post less)

Started by Mark Lericos, April 04, 2007, 11:01:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lrhogfan24

Altman sounds convincing.  He really sounds like a stand-up guy who messed up.  He claims the decision was based on his "heart" and that me made the decision before he even went into the office.

Since 1894

The first thing I heard today was that he grew up on a pig farm. That's quite a start in my book. And my last memory was watching him hang 70 on Nebraska. Just those two facts are enough (for me to like him). Then, I hear that he's out of the Hayden Fry-Bill Snyder-Barry Alvarez coaching tree. Oh, that's enough for me to like a lot. Then, I hear he's got a 27-year-old wife. Okay, we can stop. I like him.

BARRY SWITZER- Former Arkansas Asst. Coach
Quote given to Clay Henry

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

SunriseHog

GO CARDINALS!! GO HOGS!!

Little E

Bless his heart, even he can see our desperation.

Hammibal Lecter

really skirted the issue with good media savy....directed them away from subject, of our ALLEGED shortcomings
Quote from: Breems on January 14, 2014, 10:53:08 pm
I PEED. I PEED. MY PANTS HAVE PEE PEE.

southern hawg

per The Wedding Singer...  "all this information WOULD'VE BEEN USEFUL YESTERDAY"

Lokirain

I am glad he's not going to be our guy. This is for the best Hog fans. Altman is a wimp and a liar. Not to mention a mediocre coach.

hogsanity

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 04, 2007, 12:16:49 pm
That was a funny line about thinking he had one job change left in him, but it turning out to be two.

I wonder if this isn't a situation caused by the way coaching hires are done now. He wasn't allowed to go to Fayetteville and look around. He wasn't allowed to meet with the players or administration.

Sounds just like When Cremins left/returned to Gterch and the Winthopw coach doing the same with COC.  Altman too.  All "agreed" to move without having spent much or any time in the new place. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

AFWarrior83

What a whiny brat; QUICK someone get this man some breast milk!
Hogville member since 2005.

GrantMerrill

I'd give money if someone would ask him if he planned on recruiting at the Real Deal on the Hill this weekend....

hogsanity

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on April 04, 2007, 12:19:08 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on April 04, 2007, 12:12:14 pm
Quote from: PigKahuna on April 04, 2007, 12:09:23 pm
has to see that this guy is an emotional wreck and wanted to run home.

This has NOTHING to do with academics, drug tests, etc.

He loves Creighton, was greeted here with unhappiness with his hiring and he wanted to go home.

End of story.

As  I said earlier, when he turned on the 10pm news here on Monday night, saw interviews with fans and a internet poll showing DEFINITE unhappiness with is hiring, how would you have felt.

Source/Link?

The source was my pair of eyes ( and those of my wife as well, who used to work at 40/29 btw ), i do not know if there is a link or not.  They reported the poll during their rewport on the new coach. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RocknRollRazorback

at least he sounded like he had some personality this time.

just points out to me exactly how awkward our PC with him really was
"You're no rock and roll fun! Like a party that's over before it begun. You're no walk in the park- more like a shot in the dark with clues left for no one."

sooie dog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 04, 2007, 12:14:10 pm
Quote from: bigyellowdog on April 04, 2007, 12:13:05 pm
Screw him.  I hope his wife ends up in The Tavern.

Wow, we are a classy classy bunch.  I am not sure I would want to come here either.

You and Dana are 2 big ole P's in a pod!

AFWarrior83

Quote from: RocknRollRazorback on April 04, 2007, 12:23:49 pm

Dude your pic make me LOL, but it's kind of wrong... Still made me laugh though!
Hogville member since 2005.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Method Ham on April 04, 2007, 12:11:21 pm
It amazes me that everyone wants to tear the program down from WITHIN.  Let this go, let's hire another coach, WIN SOME GAMES NEXT YEAR, and restore some dignity to being Arkansan in the nation's eye.

Amen.

hogsanity

Quote from: sooie dog on April 04, 2007, 12:26:14 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on April 04, 2007, 12:14:10 pm
Quote from: bigyellowdog on April 04, 2007, 12:13:05 pm
Screw him.  I hope his wife ends up in The Tavern.

Wow, we are a classy classy bunch.  I am not sure I would want to come here either.

You and Dana are 2 big ole P's in a pod!

If he left 100% because he was 'homesick"  thats one thing.  If, as many here would lead you to believe, that there is more to it, grades, durgs, etc, then are you saying he should have stayed, regardless?  If so, shoudn't Gus, and MM, and DW have stayed, even though what they were told "apparently" was not what actually happened?

Little E

Quote from: RocknRollRazorback on April 04, 2007, 12:23:49 pm

Your avatar is hilarious!

kitshicker

Quote from: hogsanity on April 04, 2007, 12:12:14 pm
Quote from: PigKahuna on April 04, 2007, 12:09:23 pm
has to see that this guy is an emotional wreck and wanted to run home.

This has NOTHING to do with academics, drug tests, etc.

He loves Creighton, was greeted here with unhappiness with his hiring and he wanted to go home.

End of story.

As  I said earlier, when he turned on the 10pm news here on Monday night, saw interviews with fans and a internet poll showing DEFINITE unhappiness with is hiring, how would you have felt.
Even more motivated to prove that I was the man for the job.

sylvia

That's exactly right.  I watched it and thought he might break down and cry at first.  When asked if problems within the athletic dept such as player ineligibility were part of the reason for his changing his mind, he flat out denied it, stating "That is not true."  Concerning the statement about some players needing to attend classes, he said that there were Creighton players who also needed to attend class more, which brought a laugh from the audience. I don't remember his exact words here, but something along the lines that the things going on at U of A were no different than any other college.  He was much more relaxed and at home at this press conference, very different than the one at BWA.

Lokirain

I watched it. He was very humble and stuck with the family story. It sounded really sincere. Like he didn't want to leave Creighton. I have never and will never like this guy. I am glad he's out of here, but it seemed that he thought about this job and it just wasn't for him.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Anon2

That was a funny line about thinking he had one job change left in him, but it turning out to be two.

I wonder if this isn't a situation caused by the way coaching hires are done now. He wasn't allowed to go to Fayetteville and look around. He wasn't allowed to meet with the players or administration.

You beat me to that last part, Scott.  Before the next hire, if the coach hasn't been to the campus before and knows some of the PTB's,  He should be required to visit before being hired.

hogsanity

Quote from: Anon2 on April 04, 2007, 12:53:05 pm

You beat me to that last part, Scott.  Before the next hire, if the coach hasn't been to the campus before and knows some of the PTB's,  He should be required to visit before being hired.

The problem with that is that it can not be done "quietly".  Do you think Bill Slef is going to come tour the campus, knowing it will be reported in Jayhawkland 10 seconds after he gets here. 

Marshfieldhog

I think he saw Otis Kirk in cutoffs and a T-Shirt and thought " you my goodness, what did I get myself into" and when Otis asked him what trash can he leaves his recruiting lists in that was the final straw for DA.

moses_007

Sounds like he clearly got cold feet about taking our job.  :razorback:

Hog Fan 51

The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

atlheff

Quote from: Lokirain on April 04, 2007, 12:46:57 pm
I watched it. He was very humble and stuck with the family story. It sounded really sincere. Like he didn't want to leave Creighton. I have never and will never like this guy. I am glad he's out of here, but it seemed that he thought about this job and it just wasn't for him.

If that's the case then DON"T accept the position to begin with. If it is truly a decision that HE made because he felt that he just made a mistake in taking it then screw him. I want Grant any way.

Lokirain

I just want someone that can win now. Altman was horrible and what he did to this team might seem band now, but in the end, he wasn't going to last here. This job would have eaten him alive.

jlnhog

He specifically mentioned that he called back his old boss 6:00 in the morning. This should be before he got a chance to look at anybody's record.

Houston h

You guys don't be swayed by this news conference.........Altman has been around too long to jump into something like this without weighing all the factors involved.  He held this press conference in the same manner a defeated politician would and said all the right things without speaking the truth.
If there are eligibility issues out there or other concerns with players, we will find out in time!

ifghog

case closed men.His wife took control of his balls and said hey we are going home. Drop it. I am sure we have problems, but just because football is out of control doesn't mean basketball is. Man you all always expect the worst. >:( Altman said it all right here! Good ridance!

OrvilleRedenporker

We've got to get DEVICEHIGH to get to work on a little diddy called "BRINGIN' DANA BACK". Can you feel a little Justin Timberlake vibe.......

stan the man

He'd better plan on retiring at Creighton because noone else will touch him.  there is a reason why a coach would go from a major school to a mid major and that is because he doesn't like the pressure that comes from a major university.   

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ifghog on April 04, 2007, 01:35:41 pm
case closed men.His wife took control of his balls and said hey we are going home. Drop it. I am sure we have problems, but just because football is out of control doesn't mean basketball is. Man you all always expect the worst. >:( Altman said it all right here! Good ridance!

Well after seeing His wife I would have quit too!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

xteri

There's a reason so many are cynical: everyone knows that "family" is a code word.

Everybody.

If you are somebody and don't see that, you have been made aware.

"Something else is going on, but I ain't talking. Next question?"

CTHOG

Quote from: rzrbkman on April 04, 2007, 12:43:53 pm
Post a link if you have one.

http://www.ketv.com/video/11518050/index.html

That's where it was earlier. I tried it didn't work. I am going to see if they have it in their archive.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 06, 2007, 10:13:22 pmI hereby dub you "ThesaurusHog"!

Quondo Omni Flunkus Mortati

If it moves, its Biology.
If it stinks, its Chemistry.
If it doesn't work, its Physics.

Quote from: Tomcat on April 04, 2007, 11:14:13 am
I wish he would open up a little and say what a mess it is up on the Hill...
How would that be helpful?

Quote from: atlheff on April 04, 2007, 01:11:05 pm
Quote from: Lokirain on April 04, 2007, 12:46:57 pm

If that's the case then DON"T accept the position to begin with. If it is truly a decision that HE made because he felt that he just made a mistake in taking it then screw him. I want Grant any way.
I guess no one on this board has ever had a change of heart before.

hoghawk

Dana Don Altman will lead Creighton to the Nat'l Championship when pigs fly out of my arse.  He is a wimp that doesnt have the stomach for leading a team to the Nat'l championship.  He knew those expectations would be here at UofA and not at Creighton, so he goes back to where they have man-crushes on him and gets his little 20 win season one game exit from NCAAT and collects his check.  He will never be fired there and collects 1.4 million a year, would you leave?  You would if you seriously wanted to achieve something great(Nat'l Championship) before you became worm food and had the opportunity to do it.  He had the opportunity but doesnt have the stomach for it.  He is content with the status quo and fine for him.  He still nuked our BBall Program for years to come and is still a wuss and will be forever shunned in this state, but hey he will never get a Nat'l championship and be forever considered a mid-major college coach who did not have the guts to bring a prominent program back to National recognition in the BBall world.  Good riddance Dana!

Hog Fan 51

Quote from: hoghawk on April 04, 2007, 04:31:44 pm
Dana Don Altman will lead Creighton to the Nat'l Championship when pigs fly out of my arse.  He is a wimp that doesnt have the stomach for leading a team to the Nat'l championship.  He knew those expectations would be here at UofA and not at Creighton, so he goes back to where they have man-crushes on him and gets his little 20 win season one game exit from NCAAT and collects his check.  He will never be fired there and collects 1.4 million a year, would you leave?  You would if you seriously wanted to achieve something great(Nat'l Championship) before you became worm food and had the opportunity to do it.  He had the opportunity but doesnt have the stomach for it.  He is content with the status quo and fine for him.  He still nuked our BBall Program for years to come and is still a wuss and will be forever shunned in this state, but hey he will never get a Nat'l championship and be forever considered a mid-major college coach who did not have the guts to bring a prominent program back to National recognition in the BBall world.  Good riddance Dana!

Don't hold back, but I agree with you he is mediocrity at its best.
The over used wildcat will be rendered ineffective as it was after our 8-0 starting QB was benched!

bigyellowdog

OpusJay

Alright, got my flame proof underware on now.

The only way Altman would have done this is because of what he found under the covers.  Then he was denied when he asked to bring some of his non-coaching staff to help him with these non-court issues.  I hate to say it, but these things will come out.

Dana is too classy a person to ruin UA's chance at the next prospect by "outing" the program's ills.

He does love Creighton, but most of his reasons are a nice cover story.

Opus

Hog Fan 51

Quote from: bigyellowdog on April 04, 2007, 04:49:39 pm
Did Dana put on a Blue Jay hat at today's press conference?
I bet it was easier for that panzy than calling the hogs. He is a peice of ummmm... work

Hog Fan 51

Quote from: OpusJay on April 04, 2007, 04:50:45 pm
Alright, got my flame proof underware on now.

The only way Altman would have done this is because of what he found under the covers.  Then he was denied when he asked to bring some of his non-coaching staff to help him with these non-court issues.  I hate to say it, but these things will come out.

Dana is too classy a person to ruin UA's chance at the next prospect by "outing" the program's ills.

He does love Creighton, but most of his reasons are a nice cover story.

Opus

Don't be like the A&M cancer that tried to wreck our board last week. Have some class, and I am glad you guys got your coach back. Would not have been a good fit.