Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coverage of Tulsa football on KFSM

Started by mikeirwin, March 24, 2007, 03:05:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CorningHog

Mike, Mark & Beau, don't even get into defending what you are doing on Hogville with some of these fans.

I watch Tulsa's channel from time to time and I live in NW Arkansas.  They always have a nice recap for the Hogs and usually cover Tulsa, Oral Roberts, Oklahoma, Okl State and Arkansas. 

Maybe some might think it is a shot at Houston Nutt by adding in Tulsa since Gus left.  There is a story there and there are a "ton" of folks that respect and admire Gus Malzahn.  Why not cover TU for at least some of the storylines and of course the potential story that will grow into a future college head coach.  It is too "easy" to pass this up.  There have been some incredible and unique things that have happened to Arkansas' program.  # 1, you hire a hs coach that was ultra successful and very innovative, whether the central arkansas folks wish to concede that point or not, as a hs fan from NE Arkansas and just a fan period, Gus Malzahn plays an exciting brand of football, whether he has to be "stifled" under a conservative head coach his first season as a college coach or not, he brings a very high level of "execution" and I thought he added a lot to the Arkansas offense, even though some of it was not necessarily his plays.  Gus will do fine.  With all the drama that played out in one of the most successful seasons at Arkansas in over 17 years, with Mustain, Damian and Gus, it would be fitting to follow Gus, follow Damian eventually in 2008 at USC and in 2008 with Mitch wherever he transfers.

Don't expect TU to replace Arkansas as the program that is being covered.  But adding Gus and his career at TU, the passing offense that so many are starving for at Arkansas and the real "disappointment" that a huge contingent of NW Arkansas and Arkansas fans from all over the place, state, etc...the U.S. for that matter, is a smart move and I applaud you.

Personally, I may go over and see a TU game this coming year.  I will give up 2007 season tickets for the first time in 15 plus years.  I will also predict that I won't be alone.

The only thing that can change that will be Houston Nutt being removed as head coach in the next few weeks.
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

TX_razorhog

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 25, 2007, 05:44:46 pm
Quote from: TX_razorhog on March 25, 2007, 05:38:17 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 25, 2007, 11:44:37 am
Quote from: ballhog24 on March 25, 2007, 09:27:44 am
The storyline is that 5 will cover TU football because of Gus; that's fine, and understandable to a point, but that's not the main reason.

The main reason is the same reason you see numerous threads about it, it's the "hot topic", the flavor of the month. It causes talk, it stirs the pot, and it helps ratings, and that is the bottom line. The reason you don't see other former Arkansas coaches or players covered as much is because there is little or no drama associated with it, hence it isn't important in the emotional realm of news/sports coverage. Gus' move to TU along with all the fever that it has caused makes covering TU sports in Arkansas, at least NWA a chance to boost their ratings.
Did you read that in a book somewhere ?
The truth is it's become very popular to accuse the media of only going after a story to boost ratings.
KFSM has been number one in our TV market from the day it signed on more than 50 years ago.
I work there. I know what is discussed. The subject of ratings rarely comes up.

KFSM has been number one in your TV market?  I have a website here that says that's completely false.  NWA Business Journal says KNWA is tops in the market with an 8 Nielsen rating with KFSM pulling up the rear with a 6 Nielsen.  KHBS+ was the (40/29) was the leader in previous months.

Perhaps the drop-off from previous years (assuming you were atop the Nielsen many moons ago) is your attachment to out-of-state coaches and their associated out-of-state football programs.  But who knows precisely why a news cast is not getting the ratings it needs?  It could be a number of things. . .

Perhaps the drop in the ratings is the leadership of its senior staff members/employees.  Isn't this the same reason why we blame the coaches rather than a single player for not performing in a game?
Those numbers are for Washington and Benton counties only. The Ft. Smith TV market is bigger than two counties.

That sure sounds like an excuse, although technically they quote that these ratings are for Washington, Benton and Madison counties combined.  I'm not entirely sure your rating would change that much, and I'm guessing here, since the population of Ft. Smith/Van Buren is around 100K and the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area is almost double that (I calculate a population around 170K), and also since the Nielsen rating is based upon population and the number of people watching it, your rating would still probably come in under theirs (more people up there watching them than the number of people watching you in yours.)  Oh sure, you can pick and choose your counties just to try to ignore the numbers where you lose, but that's just lying to yourself.  And I absolutely don't mean to lecture.   ;D

I also suppose if you turn the other counties loose, you'd find a winning news program.  If those other counties had progressed a bit more in population, they wouldn't have to be pulled.  You know that NWA Business Journal has a quick trigger, especially in big markets like NWA.  But I'm glad you called that to my attention, bruthah, because the numbers don't lie.  But boy, when the people just simply accept news-reporting mediocrity, and the fans are left screaming for a national Nielsen ranking, then I think the news program needs a proven winner, with someone who's ready to move the news team to a higher level.  Maybe find someone that's written a book on no-teleprompter/no-rehearsal philosophy and hire him/her!!!

Isn't satire fun?  LOL!

reddierazorback

I would say about 5% do not seem to think it is a good idea for our local stations to cover Tulsa FB.  Just probably 5%.  ( I have heard that somewhere before. )
Go HOGS!

TX_razorhog

Quote from: reddierazorback on March 25, 2007, 06:41:47 pm
I would say about 5% do not seem to think it is a good idea for our local stations to cover Tulsa FB.  Just probably 5%.  ( I have heard that somewhere before. )

HA HA!!! :P

hoggerdinger

TX_razorhog

Quote from: reddierazorback on March 25, 2007, 06:41:47 pm

And don't forget - Nutt and ONLY Nutt is the reason KFSM is number one in their market since the day they signed on more than 50 years ago!!!!  These are the FACTS, plain and simple!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!

jodygaston

Quote from: TX_razorhog on March 25, 2007, 06:15:45 pm
The storyline is that 5 will cover TU football because of Gus; that's fine, and understandable to a point, but that's not the main reason.

The main reason is the same reason you see numerous threads about it, it's the "hot topic", the flavor of the month. It causes talk, it stirs the pot, and it helps ratings, and that is the bottom line. The reason you don't see other former Arkansas coaches or players covered as much is because there is little or no drama associated with it, hence it isn't important in the emotional realm of news/sports coverage. Gus' move to TU along with all the fever that it has caused makes covering TU sports in Arkansas, at least NWA a chance to boost their ratings.
The truth is it's become very popular to accuse the media of only going after a story to boost ratings.
KFSM has been number one in our TV market from the day it signed on more than 50 years ago.

KFSM has been number one in your TV market?  I have a website here that says that's completely false.  NWA Business Journal says KNWA is tops in the market with an 8 Nielsen rating with KFSM pulling up the rear with a 6 Nielsen.  KHBS+ was the (40/29) was the leader in previous months.

Perhaps the drop-off from previous years (assuming you were atop the Nielsen many moons ago) is your attachment to out-of-state coaches and their associated out-of-state football programs.  But who knows precisely why a news cast is not getting the ratings it needs?  It could be a number of things. . .

Perhaps the drop in the ratings is the leadership of its senior staff members/employees.  Isn't this the same reason why we blame the coaches rather than a single player for not performing in a game?
Those numbers are for Washington and Benton counties only. The Ft. Smith TV market is bigger than two counties.

That sure sounds like an excuse, although technically they quote that these ratings are for Washington, Benton and Madison counties combined.  I'm not entirely sure your rating would change that much, and I'm guessing here, since the population of Ft. Smith/Van Buren is around 100K and the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area is almost double that (I calculate a population around 170K), and also since the Nielsen rating is based upon population and the number of people watching it, your rating would still probably come in under theirs (more people up there watching them than the number of people watching you in yours.)  Oh sure, you can pick and choose your counties just to try to ignore the numbers where you lose, but that's just lying to yourself.  And I absolutely don't mean to lecture.   ;D

I also suppose if you turn the other counties loose, you'd find a winning news program.  If those other counties had progressed a bit more in population, they wouldn't have to be pulled.  You know that NWA Business Journal has a quick trigger, especially in big markets like NWA.  But I'm glad you called that to my attention, bruthah, because the numbers don't lie.  But boy, when the people just simply accept news-reporting mediocrity, and the fans are left screaming for a national Nielsen ranking, then I think the news program needs a proven winner, with someone who's ready to move the news team to a higher level.  Maybe find someone that's written a book on no-teleprompter/no-rehearsal philosophy and hire him/her!!!

Isn't satire fun?  LOL!

Since we are talking about counties, you are wrong.  Sebastian (Ft. Smith area 115k)and Crawford (Van Buren area 53k) counties have around 168k residents.  Soure = wikopedia.com.  Look it up.  Or do a google search w/ the counties and their populations.  So, Mike is on point. 

But, here is my thought on TU coverage.  Fine if you want to cover it.  I am curious how Gus does.  But don't cut into my Hog coverage.  If TU coverage equals even slightly less Hog coverage, I'll find another channel.

TX_razorhog

Quote from: jodygaston on March 25, 2007, 07:50:13 pm

That sure sounds like an excuse, although technically they quote that these ratings are for Washington, Benton and Madison counties combined.  I'm not entirely sure your rating would change that much, and I'm guessing here, since the population of Ft. Smith/Van Buren is around 100K and the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area is almost double that (I calculate a population around 170K), and also since the Nielsen rating is based upon population and the number of people watching it, your rating would still probably come in under theirs (more people up there watching them than the number of people watching you in yours.)  Oh sure, you can pick and choose your counties just to try to ignore the numbers where you lose, but that's just lying to yourself.  And I absolutely don't mean to lecture.   ;D

Isn't satire fun?  LOL!

Since we are talking about counties, you are wrong.  Sebastian (Ft. Smith area 115k)and Crawford (Van Buren area 53k) counties have around 168k residents.  Soure = wikopedia.com.  Look it up.  Or do a google search w/ the counties and their populations.  So, Mike is on point. 

But, here is my thought on TU coverage.  Fine if you want to cover it.  I am curious how Gus does.  But don't cut into my Hog coverage.  If TU coverage equals even slightly less Hog coverage, I'll find another channel.

Obviously you didn't read my post.  If you're going to go looking things up on Wikipedia (which don't get me started on how wrong they are most of the time and should NOT be used as a reference), then you need to make sure you finish your work.  Since you used Wikipedia, then so shall I:

These numbers represent the year 2000, and should also not be used due to 7 YEARS of growth.

Benton Co: 153K
Washington Co: 157K
Madison Co: 14K

Now, I don't care what planet you're from, you've just dug yourself straight into the WRONG hole and can't climb out.  My assertions still stand.  I sure hope you're not a college student as you need to learn to finish your work.

jodygaston

Quote from: TX_razorhog on March 25, 2007, 08:04:04 pm

That sure sounds like an excuse, although technically they quote that these ratings are for Washington, Benton and Madison counties combined.  I'm not entirely sure your rating would change that much, and I'm guessing here, since the population of Ft. Smith/Van Buren is around 100K and the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area is almost double that (I calculate a population around 170K), and also since the Nielsen rating is based upon population and the number of people watching it, your rating would still probably come in under theirs (more people up there watching them than the number of people watching you in yours.)  Oh sure, you can pick and choose your counties just to try to ignore the numbers where you lose, but that's just lying to yourself.  And I absolutely don't mean to lecture.   ;D

Isn't satire fun?  LOL!

Obviously you didn't read my post.  If you're going to go looking things up on Wikipedia (which don't get me started on how wrong they are most of the time and should NOT be used as a reference), then you need to make sure you finish your work.  Since you used Wikipedia, then so shall I:

These numbers represent the year 2000, and should also not be used due to 7 YEARS of growth.

Now, I don't care what planet you're from, you've just dug yourself straight into the WRONG hole and can't climb out.  My assertions still stand.  I sure hope you're not a college student as you need to learn to finish your work.

You said that you figured the population of Fay./Spring./Rogers to be about 170k.  Now you say it is over 300k.  The 2nd # is probably right, but chill out a little and don't get so personal unless your facts are exactly right.  And even then, chill out and don't get so personal.  Life is too short.  We are posting on the internet on a Sunday night.  Did I mention life is too short?

TX_razorhog

Quote from: jodygaston on March 25, 2007, 08:12:20 pm
Quote from: TX_razorhog on March 25, 2007, 08:04:04 pm

Isn't satire fun?  LOL!

You said that you figured the population of Fay./Spring./Rogers to be about 170k.  Now you say it is over 300k.  The 2nd # is probably right, but chill out a little and don't get so personal unless your facts are exactly right.  And even then, chill out and don't get so personal.  Life is too short.  We are posting on the internet on a Sunday night.  Did I mention life is too short?

You're just sanctimonious just because you know I'm right.

I didn't include the entire county, just the major cities in the area.  I thought you were able to deduce that from my post explicitly expressing CITY populations, but I was in error.  Why you're STILL calling my numbers into question astounds me.

redbarn

Gee, according to what I am reading, if I watch a football game on channel 5 other than the Hogs, then I am considered some kind of traitor.  Mike Irwin, please talk to your station manager and let them know that they can not show any thing other than Hog Football.  I presume this will include Friday night football clips and scores as well.  No more Oklahoma scores or anything else. Of course I am being sarcastic but in truth, how in the world can anyone think that by giving some insight to what is happening at another University at a school as close as Tulsa is could in any way be shoving the Hogs aside.  If a station shows Auburn vs Alabama, that doesn't mean that station is giving air time to some other team than the Hogs.  And I might add that to come down on someone like Mike Irwin and the other sportscasters at the various stations should never be done.  Without these guys, how would we know what is going on with any team especially the Hogs.
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

TX_razorhog

Quote from: redbarn on March 25, 2007, 08:24:04 pm
Gee, according to what I am reading, if I watch a football game on channel 5 other than the Hogs, then I am considered some kind of traitor.  Mike Irwin, please talk to your station manager and let them know that they can not show any thing other than Hog Football.  I presume this will include Friday night football clips and scores as well.  No more Oklahoma scores or anything else. Of course I am being sarcastic but in truth, how in the world can anyone think that by giving some insight to what is happening at another University at a school as close as Tulsa is could in any way be shoving the Hogs aside.  If a station shows Auburn vs Alabama, that doesn't mean that station is giving air time to some other team than the Hogs.  And I might add that to come down on someone like Mike Irwin and the other sportscasters at the various stations should never be done.  Without these guys, how would we know what is going on with any team especially the Hogs.

Now I can't answer for everyone, but for me, I just saw the humor in Irwin's original post.  I think the reason we are having a little fun with this is due to the way in which Irwin presented this announcement.  He presents the *new* coverage of Tulsa as if this was major news (which I'd bet money he also announces this in his broadcast, but I live in TX so I can't monitor it.)  Not to mention the announcement also seemed like a little rub in the face to the Razorbacks, but I could be WAY off with that assessment.  The point is, we saw an opportunity to have a little fun.   ;D

insanehog

Quote from: TX_razorhog on March 25, 2007, 08:56:00 pm

Now I can't answer for everyone, but for me, I just saw the humor in Irwin's original post.  I think the reason we are having a little fun with this is due to the way in which Irwin presented this announcement.  He presents the *new* coverage of Tulsa as if this was major news (which I'd bet money he also announces this in his broadcast, but I live in TX so I can't monitor it.)  Not to mention the announcement also seemed like a little rub in the face to the Razorbacks, but I could be WAY off with that assessment.  The point is, we saw an opportunity to have a little fun.   ;D

I just dont see what so funny, the ANGLE is that they covering a former assistant of Coach Nutt to see what he learn and how far he can come and go after being an assistant for the Hogs. 

He is from Arkansas, they hope to follow his successes and ups and downs and ins and outs and what he enjoy from being under Coach Nutt, and Coach Nutt simultaneous taking advantage of him and his HUNYHU, for the benefit of the Razorbacks.

See, everybody win!

reddierazorback

Wonder if they might expand to broadcast some TU FB games?  That way I could really keep up with our former FB coaches.  Forget high lights.   
Go HOGS!

TX_razorhog

Quote from: insanehog on March 25, 2007, 09:02:18 pm

Now I can't answer for everyone, but for me, I just saw the humor in Irwin's original post.  I think the reason we are having a little fun with this is due to the way in which Irwin presented this announcement.  He presents the *new* coverage of Tulsa as if this was major news (which I'd bet money he also announces this in his broadcast, but I live in TX so I can't monitor it.)  Not to mention the announcement also seemed like a little rub in the face to the Razorbacks, but I could be WAY off with that assessment.  The point is, we saw an opportunity to have a little fun.   ;D

I just dont see what so funny, the ANGLE is that they covering a former assistant of Coach Nutt to see what he learn and how far he can come and go after being an assistant for the Hogs. 

He is from Arkansas, they hope to follow his successes and ups and downs and ins and outs and what he enjoy from being under Coach Nutt, and Coach Nutt simultaneous taking advantage of him and his HUNYHU, for the benefit of the Razorbacks.

See, everybody win!

Such would be the case if Irwin was consistent in his coverage of the successes and ups and downs and ins and outs of coaches from Arkansas.  Not to mention, something tells me there won't be a story of how Malzahn enjoyed his tenure with Coach Nutt, as this would not conform to the conspiracy theories of Malzahn being railroaded and not allowed to utilize his offense.  Sometimes, it does seem to present an air of "man-crush", but only Irwin would be able to answer whether or not he has one.

And I'm not arguing, just offering you a perspective on how I crack myself up.  HA HA!

boarhog12

Nice excuse to stick a finger in Nutt's eye and stir the 'siders

arklahoman36

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 25, 2007, 11:00:25 pm
Quote from: PigPusher on March 25, 2007, 12:08:37 pm
I grew up in NWA and after college moved to Tulsa. I can say without equivocation that Tulsa is and always has been a sister city to Western Arkansas.

As somebody who grew up in Fort Smith, I can say you're right on the money with that. People in the River Valley used to be more likely to drive to Tulsa than to Little Rock for a weekend getaway or a shopping trip.

That's nothing against Little Rock, it's just the drive to Tulsa is so much quicker thanks to the tollroad.

Well, and Tulsa doesn't look like a big crackhouse as you drive in on the Broken Arrow Expressway.

MDH

I'm glad TU is going to be covered, I have an interest in how they fare.  I'm a Hog fan first and foremost, but I'd really like to see GM shine there.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

chromehog

Quote from: insanehog on March 25, 2007, 09:02:18 pm

Now I can't answer for everyone, but for me, I just saw the humor in Irwin's original post.  I think the reason we are having a little fun with this is due to the way in which Irwin presented this announcement.  He presents the *new* coverage of Tulsa as if this was major news (which I'd bet money he also announces this in his broadcast, but I live in TX so I can't monitor it.)  Not to mention the announcement also seemed like a little rub in the face to the Razorbacks, but I could be WAY off with that assessment.  The point is, we saw an opportunity to have a little fun.   ;D

See, everybody win!

You have got to be related to HDN.

Michaelt

March 26, 2007, 07:32:06 am #169 Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 07:42:13 am by ballhog24
Actually yes, I've read that, and other statements very similar in many books, articles, periodicals, newspapers, etc. through the years. The subject of ratings comes up in many aspects of media, that's the nature of that beast. If there had not been the drama of season and Gus had gone to TU quietly and didn't ruffle so many feathers, his actions there would be nothing more than a snippit, a passing blurb just to cover lost time.

I'm not disagreeing with the decision to cover what Gus does at TU, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just looking at the basic reasons above all the fodder that has been explained as to why covering TU football is such a big deal now for the NWA news market.

And it's a good thing that by working there you know what is discussed. I would hope that by working there you DO know what is discussed, but there is no reason to get defensive if someone who doesn't work there knows what is (generally speaking) discussed as well.

Oh, one more small thing; you might want to detail what KFSM is #1 at; 10pm news? 5pm? 6pm? mornings? Are you sure that KFSM is overall #1 in all categories since their inception?
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

taoteching

It is so obvious that there is lots of interest in Tulsa football.

It is also very related to hog sports because of the "what ifs" and expectations that were had by bringing in Gus Malzahn.  Now that those expectations are gone....razorback fans are thinking "Why?"

Pig_Lebowski

The frat guy, and some of the other Gus haters are right!  We dont need to see Tulsa football, when there is soooooooooo many more interesting stories from the Hill..

"Houston has a headache"

"Teresa set to rub Dannys feet"

"Reggie got his head buffed"

If its Razorback related these guys are mystified.

mikeirwin

March 26, 2007, 10:01:13 am #172 Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:04:02 am by mikeirwin
Quote from: ballhog24 on March 26, 2007, 07:32:06 am
Actually yes, I've read that, and other statements very similar in many books, articles, periodicals, newspapers, etc. through the years. The subject of ratings comes up in many aspects of media, that's the nature of that beast. If there had not been the drama of season and Gus had gone to TU quietly and didn't ruffle so many feathers, his actions there would be nothing more than a snippit, a passing blurb just to cover lost time.

I'm not disagreeing with the decision to cover what Gus does at TU, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm just looking at the basic reasons above all the fodder that has been explained as to why covering TU football is such a big deal now for the NWA news market.

And it's a good thing that by working there you know what is discussed. I would hope that by working there you DO know what is discussed, but there is no reason to get defensive if someone who doesn't work there knows what is (generally speaking) discussed as well.

Oh, one more small thing; you might want to detail what KFSM is #1 at; 10pm news? 5pm? 6pm? mornings? Are you sure that KFSM is overall #1 in all categories since their inception?
Sign on to sign off KFSM has always been number one.
Over the years we have occasionally lost the 10 pm or the 5 pm news by a small margin but there is no way you or anybody else can accuse us of making decisions based on ratings because that's not done. As I said before ratings are rarely discussed. You aren't there. You
have never been there but you know. Right.
Defensive ? More like amused that so many know so much about what motivates the media.
It's not possible that a decision would be made to cover a story simply because it's a good story that many of our viewers would find interesting.
There always has to be a cynical explanation for everything with some of you people.

hogsanity

So are we also going to get more Auburn coverage because of the ties Kodi and Lee have to the area?  What about NC because of Zach and Butch?  Maybe Nd because of Bartley? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jhudson84

March 26, 2007, 10:11:04 am #174 Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:19:59 am by jhudson84
+1 to KFSM and thanks Mike.  Those of us who like to follow Gus and integrity are very appreciative of your coverage of Tulsa football.
[/quote]

Did'nt Graham just sign a new contract with Rice and left a week later, talk about integrity.

TX_razorhog

Quote from: mikeirwin on March 26, 2007, 10:01:13 am
Quote from: ballhog24 on March 26, 2007, 07:32:06 am

Over the years we have occasionally lost the 10 pm or the 5 pm news by a small margin but there is no way you or anybody else can accuse us of making decisions based on ratings because that's not done. As I said before ratings are rarely discussed. You aren't there. You
have never been there but you know. Right.
Defensive ? More like amused that so many know so much about what motivates the media.
It's not possible that a decision would be made to cover a story simply because it's a good story that many of our viewers would find interesting.
There always has to be a cynical explanation for everything with some of you people.

Number one in your heart or number one in the market?

Also, I don't think some of us are questioning the motivation of the media in full.  Frankly we're questioning YOUR motivation to cover Tulsa.  As the sports Director, I'm sure that you are the person that all eyes turn to when a decision is to be made.  If not the decision-maker, then I'm sure you have a profound say in what it is your portion of the news includes.  Perhaps it is true that YOU honestly believe this would be a story your viewers wish to follow.  From my perspective, however, it just seems hilarious and a little sad to me, as if you're following the controversy and holding on to a subject that has made you EXTREMELY popular on this board (so much so that people are willing to defend your bravado.)

Not quite as bad as George Lucas milking that Star Wars cow, but it sure is close.

And be honest. . .  In the back of your mind, isn't this just a way you see to just rub the U of A's nose a little?  I mean, had you committed yourself to covering other coaches with ties to Arkansas so prominently in your work in the past you wouldn't have had to come out to Hogville and make such a bugle-and-fanfare announcement.  I don't mean this unsympathetically, but this is how it appears to quite a few people here.  The fact that you feel the need to be so defensive of your announcement also leads to this conclusion.

hogsanity

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 26, 2007, 10:13:57 am
Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2007, 10:04:29 am
So are we also going to get more Auburn coverage because of the ties Kodi and Lee have to the area? 

If and when Burns is a regular starter for Auburn, we will try to have a little more coverage in the Times Record of Auburn since he is from Fort Smith.

We've tried to increase the Jaguars coverage as well. Not because Jones was a former Razorback, but because his home is in Van Buren.
Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 26, 2007, 10:13:57 am
Quote from: hogsanity on March 26, 2007, 10:04:29 am
So are we also going to get more Auburn coverage because of the ties Kodi and Lee have to the area? 

If and when Burns is a regular starter for Auburn, we will try to have a little more coverage in the Times Record of Auburn since he is from Fort Smith.

We've tried to increase the Jaguars coverage as well. Not because Jones was a former Razorback, but because his home is in Van Buren.

Ah good, at least it will be some coverage of something local, sort of. 

Print, imo, is different than tv in this matter because tv has a mimited sportcast time period.  I know the paper isnt going to put out a 20 page sports section, but it is much easier to find room for a story on Kodi than it is for the tv guys to do so. 

I just think covering someone elses spring practice is ridiculous.  If they watched KFSM in Tulsa it would be different.  KTUL does cover Hog sports, to some extent, but lots of people in W and NWA watch KTUL. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MCPeePants

March 26, 2007, 10:38:12 am #177 Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:39:52 am by MCPeePants
Quote from: arklahoman36 on March 25, 2007, 11:23:30 pm
Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 25, 2007, 11:00:25 pm
Quote from: PigPusher on March 25, 2007, 12:08:37 pm
I grew up in NWA and after college moved to Tulsa. I can say without equivocation that Tulsa is and always has been a sister city to Western Arkansas.

Yeah, but unless you're going to the airport, you might not want to look too closely at anything north of, say, 11th street...

As somebody who grew up in Fort Smith, I can say you're right on the money with that. People in the River Valley used to be more likely to drive to Tulsa than to Little Rock for a weekend getaway or a shopping trip.

That's nothing against Little Rock, it's just the drive to Tulsa is so much quicker thanks to the tollroad.

Well, and Tulsa doesn't look like a big crackhouse as you drive in on the Broken Arrow Expressway.

Yeah, but unless you're going to the airport, you might not want to look too closely at anything north of, say, 11th street...

hawkeyefan17

I get a Tulsa station on my cable. I am sure they will give plenty of coverage to Tulsa football. If hog fans want Tulsa coverage, it is there for them.

When the Frank Broyles coaching tree was sending out coaches like Joe Gibbs, Hayden Fry, among others, did you start giving special coverage to them? If you did it would surprise me.

The fascination with Malzahn is weird.

hogslobber

Mike, two thoughts:

1.  I am glad to see coverage of TU football this fall.

there will be lots of interest in it.  I think it is a legitimate story.

2.  KFSM still sees Ft. Smith and the " River Valley", the Ouchita Mountain area, Eastern Oklahoma AND NWA as 1 market.

We in NWA don't.

When you lead with a story for Roland , Oklahoma , we can't grab the remote fast enough. 

We aren't interested in Greenwood or Ft. Smith either.

To tell you the truth, KNWA has found a nice niche. 

The news is from NWA only.

Yes, I have discussed this with your GM many times.  I understand why it is this way, but want you to know there are many that are moving to KNWA.

Michaelt

March 26, 2007, 11:07:24 am #180 Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:10:08 am by ballhog24
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 26, 2007, 10:01:13 am
Over the years we have occasionally lost the 10 pm or the 5 pm news by a small margin
If you've lost a spot by even a small margin, then you've not always been number one.
That would be kind of akin to a certain coach clinging to an SEC West championship, yet losing the SECCG and the bowl game, and saying they're #1 in the West.....wouldn't it?

but there is no way you or anybody else can accuse us of making decisions based on ratings because that's not done. As I said before ratings are rarely discussed. You aren't there. You
have never been there but you know.
Right.
Are you sure I've never been there? That's quite a bold statement to make not knowing my history. Maybe you should do some research before you go out on a limb like you did with this statement.

When someone disputes something someone else says, and does so with a pseudo insult, yes I consider it a defensive posture.
And again, yes it's a long going knowledge at what motivates the media...I'm more amused that you're defending what is common knowledge. What motivates the media? Shock, drama, excitement, etc....

A man walks into a convenience store and guns down three people and kills himself:

A postal carrier retires after delivering mail for 35 years without missing one day due to illness.

They're both news, now which one do you think is going to be reported on over the other??

It's very possible, but as I said earlier, had Gus left without the uproar that it caused, chances are you would not be covering TU football with the fervor that has been since Gus signed on with TU.

Hello pot, meet kettle.

Not a cynical explanation as much as a common sense opinion. There are actually other people, and yes other people even on this message board who are educated and possess an understanding of many facets of business, competition, success, and the means and know how. And they don't have to "work" in the media to know how the media works.

mikeirwin

Okay then post your name.
We can determine very quickly who you are and if you've been in any news meetings at KFSM.

Michaelt

March 26, 2007, 11:36:57 am #182 Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:52:59 am by ballhog24
Quote from: mikeirwin on March 26, 2007, 11:19:26 am
Okay then post your name.
We can determine very quickly who you are and if you've been in any news meetings at KFSM.

I can help you with that. Yes I have been to KFSM. No, I have never been in a news meeting at KFSM. But that wasn't your statement. Your statement was:
You aren't there. You have never been there...
But I will add, that I would guess that overall KFSM news meetings are not that much different than other news organizations news meetings, whether it be print or video media.

I just thought it was interesting that such a bold statement would be made without any knowledge of what your statement was.
I'll fade off and give way to the rest of the pro-Gus/anti-Gus banter, but this little exchange does show something;

Most everyone's glasses are "rose colored" on some subjects.

Maybe those who are dishing out all the barbs against huggers, darksiders, pro-Gus, anti-Gus, etc...can consider that when replying to subjects that are obviously close to the vest to others. :)

hogslobber

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 26, 2007, 11:24:20 am
Quote from: hogslobber on March 26, 2007, 10:45:34 am
2.  KFSM still sees Ft. Smith and the " River Valley", the Ouchita Mountain area, Eastern Oklahoma AND NWA as 1 market.

We in NWA don't.

When you lead with a story for Roland , Oklahoma , we can't grab the remote fast enough. 

Yes, I have discussed this with your GM many times.  I understand why it is this way, but want you to know there are many that are moving to KNWA.

And there are many people on this side of the Bobby Hopper Tunnel who feel the same way about KNWA's all-NWA coverage.

How long did it take KNWA to get a reporter on scene at the murder of the Fort Smith police officer? Did they even bother?

My point is that these are 2 seperate markets.

I don't see pleasing both markets at the same time.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: hogslobber on March 26, 2007, 12:20:36 pm

We in NWA don't.

And there are many people on this side of the Bobby Hopper Tunnel who feel the same way about KNWA's all-NWA coverage.

How long did it take KNWA to get a reporter on scene at the murder of the Fort Smith police officer? Did they even bother?

Why not? We do it every single day.

HarrisonHog

We in NWA don't.

It could be worse.  I live in Harrison and get all of the Fayetteville stations with an antenna.  It's only 62 miles from my house to Fayetteville, yet they don't even cover Boone County for weather warnings/watches.....  There is more to NWA than the metroplex...........

W_KY_Hog

I don't depend on TV for my news and sports info anymore.
Haven't for some time.
(it's them internets, and not just message boards)
I will be curious how Tulsa does in football this Fall, no question.

hogslobber

Quote from: Mark Lericos on March 26, 2007, 12:30:24 pm
Quote from: hogslobber on March 26, 2007, 12:20:36 pm

We in NWA don't.

Why not? We do it every single day.

Ok.

I see that you are KHOG.

This is the channel I can't get in HD on Cox Cable.

Nope.

Don't watch that one.

I am of the opinion that people skip around channels to find the one that is talking about their own area.

You can't be " Hometown News" to all that you try to appeal to.

Truthfully it sounds a little silly to continue to claim this.

You need to be Ft. Smith or NWA.

The day is coming when that decision must be made.

BTW, it would help KHOG to get an HD channel up on Cox.

KTUL is killing you on all programing.

311Hog

If i am going to be forced to watch Sun Belt Football rather it be Tulsa.

hogslobber

Quote from: ScottFaldon on March 26, 2007, 01:54:08 pm
Quote from: hogslobber on March 26, 2007, 01:04:50 pm
You need to be Ft. Smith or NWA.

The day is coming when that decision must be made.

Why?

Other stations don't draw a 25-mile radius on a map and ignore news from outside it. So why should FS/Fay stations?

A more viable option might be to do split telecasts. Have the A block be the main anchors and the big news of the day no matter where it's from. After the break, split the signal between NWA and River Valley, with each getting localized news in that segment. Go back to the main anchors for the C block to skim over the big national or international news of the day. Then do a combined weather and combined sports.

I would buy that.

taoteching

O.K. I will start watching the Tulsa channel too.
Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on March 26, 2007, 10:43:49 am
I get a Tulsa station on my cable. I am sure they will give plenty of coverage to Tulsa football. If hog fans want Tulsa coverage, it is there for them.

When the Frank Broyles coaching tree was sending out coaches like Joe Gibbs, Hayden Fry, among others, did you start giving special coverage to them? If you did it would surprise me.

The fascination with Malzahn is weird.

insanehog

Coverage of Tulsa only motivate Coach Nutt more.  He already a hard worker, he only take a Holiday in when needed and he do anchor even when coming from behind a great team of players.

dsewell70

Mike and Beau

I guess it would depend on how much coverage of Tulsa you plan to do... a story here and there isn't going to be looked at as a big deal by most people on here that are complaining about it, but if it becomes extensive coverage, say every night, they may have a point that a backlash could happen... Living out of state on the East Coast now, I don't have the ability to see the coverage, i have no way of knowing how much coverage y'all are doing

but one thing I can comment on is that no matter how much or how little the decision to cover the Tulsa team is based on your own personal feelings about the happenings on the Hill, some people are going to assume the worst simply for the fact of how outspoken you are on this board. This board has a reputation of a majority of people disliking Nutt and really liking Malzahn. You're both listed as moderators for the site, so regardless of what your personal opinions  are about the situation, many people are going to assume things about your choice of coverage. the old guilt by association line

Are those assumptions correct? Who knows? But working in the media myself, I understand that sometimes the perceptions and the assumptions are what nullifies the positives of making the right story coverage choices...

I noticed the station logos on the front page, but just from my short time on the board, I don't believe these are station sanctioned boards/blogs... but just the fact that those logos are there, some people are going to make the assumption that the stations hold the same opinions as other board members... that's what makes it tough for media members such as yourselves who are so recognizable to be involved in this kind of message board.. but I find it refreshing that you at least put your names out there so people know who you are and lets people decide what credibility to give to your posts instead of a pseudonymn