Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Didnt we do alrght the last tme we hired a BB coach from Creighton?

Started by hogsanity, April 02, 2007, 10:28:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

I think so, maybe I am wrong.  Didnt Eddie come from there?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jamie72921

That is right we did "alright."

We had an arena that didn't even have seating along the baselines and the goals hung from the rafters.

Sorry folks, a little has changed since then and "alright" is no longer accepteble.
Bless your heart

Squealsonwheels

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2007, 10:28:30 am
Yes but we played on a dirt floor back then...We dont need someone to build our program...We needed someone to take us to another level and have name appeal...Sorry Im 100% against this hire but as I have stated earlier this isnt Dana'a fault.

Winner

I'm sure that has lots of bearing on whether Altman is a good hire.

hogsanity

Quote from: Winner on April 02, 2007, 10:40:03 am

It really has none except to show that no one really knows what will happen.

Ulysses_S_Grunt

As someone said earlier, you can't make comparisons like that. Thats like saying Huckabee would be a good president too, because he's from Arkansas like Clinton.

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: jamie72921 on April 02, 2007, 10:39:11 am

We had an arena that didn't even have seating along the baselines and the goals hung from the rafters.

Sorry folks, a little has changed since then and "alright" is no longer accepteble.

Alright was defined as how Eddie did when he coached here. You're saying going to the Final Four is not acceptable here? Having all-americans like the Triplets is not acceptable?

WHO THE HECK CARES WHAT HIS NAME IS, as long as he WINS!!

jamie72921

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2007, 10:41:04 am
Quote from: Winner on April 02, 2007, 10:40:03 am

It really has none except to show that no one really knows what will happen.

The old universal negative approach.

Bless your heart

jamie72921

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on April 02, 2007, 10:41:48 am

Alright was defined as how Eddie did when he coached here. You're saying going to the Final Four is not acceptable here? Having all-americans like the Triplets is not acceptable?

We went to A final four. ONE!!!!!!!!!

That's it!!!!!!!!

We only got close to that one more time.

NO, THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE now that we are 3 more final fours, a national championship, and a 19000 seat arena down the road.

Bless your heart

moses_007

Yes Frank made perhaps the best coaching hire of his career when he hired Eddie Sutton away from Creighton.  It was Sutton who put the Razorbacks on the national basketball map after years of being a loser in old Barnhill Arena.  However, remember that Sutton and his Arkansas teams only played in the old SWC...they never played a game in the SEC.  Nolan was our coach when we jumped to the SEC.

I have often wondered if Eddie could have been half as successful in the SEC as he was in the SWC.  Dana Altman may turn out to be a good hire, but we might have just gone back to the well (Creighton) one time too many.

We will have to just sit tight and see.  :razorback:

PiggoBitttys

Quote from: jamie72921 on April 02, 2007, 10:44:25 am

That's it!!!!!!!!

NO, THAT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE now that we are 3 more final fours, a national championship, and a 19000 seat arena down the road.

You go out and try to hire a coach and tell him he will have to make it to multiple final fours or he will be fired. See what kind of response you get.

biggiepiggie

CalHog

I b

I believe Sutton was a little more than alright.  Where were you when he came to UA?

jamie72921

Quote from: moses_007 on April 02, 2007, 10:50:24 am
Yes Frank made perhaps the best coaching hire of his career when he hired Eddie Sutton away from Creighton.  It was Sutton who put the Razorbacks on the national basketball map after years of being a loser in old Barnhill Arena.  However, remember that Sutton and his Arkansas teams only played in the old SWC...they never played a game in the SEC.  Nolan was our coach when we jumped to the SEC.

I have often wondered if Eddie could have been half as successful in the SEC as he was in the SWC.  Dana Altman may turn out to be a good hire, but we might have just gone back to the well (Creighton) one time too many.

We will have to just sit tight and see.  :razorback:

I disagree with the premise that Sutton made us "nationally respected".

He did build the enthusiasm in our own fan base and made a splash with the trippletts but other than that we were not a feared program. We were probably on par with say a Villanova of today.

National prominence came after Nolan followed the Outstanding foundation Sutton laid and took it to a new level.
Bless your heart

bigbrutha

Quote from: biggiepiggie on April 02, 2007, 10:52:21 am
Just because he's from Creighton doesn't mean he's Eddie.

True.  He could end up being better.  Only time will tell.

jamie72921

Quote from: CalHog on April 02, 2007, 10:52:36 am
I b

I believe Sutton was a little more than alright.  Where were you when he came to UA?

In Barnhill arena.

Where were you?
Bless your heart

BartIV

This topic makes no sense what-so-ever. Just because we hired a coach from Creighton 25-30 years ago, doesn't mean we are going to have success with this coach.

jamie72921

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on April 02, 2007, 10:51:58 am

That's it!!!!!!!!

You go out and try to hire a coach and tell him he will have to make it to multiple final fours or he will be fired. See what kind of response you get.

If you don't have high expectations see what you get. You won't be happy.
Bless your heart

CalHog

That's it!!!!!!!!

You sound to me like an up and comer message board poster.  I'm not sure you will ever be a winner.

BartIV

Quote from: bigbrutha on April 02, 2007, 10:54:20 am

He could end up being worse. Only time will tell.

CalHog

Quote from: jamie72921 on April 02, 2007, 10:54:34 am
I b

In Barnhill arena.

Where were you?

I was there sitting behind the Arkansas bench.

bigbrutha

Quote from: BartIV on April 02, 2007, 10:56:22 am

Exactly, i only know one thing.  Just like me, you sure as hel1 don't know.

jesterzzn

Didn't the last coach we hired from creepton crawl on his hands and knees to Kentucky?  I guess this one will too...

jamie72921

Quote from: CalHog on April 02, 2007, 10:57:19 am
Quote from: jamie72921 on April 02, 2007, 10:54:34 am
I b

In Barnhill arena.

Where were you?

I was there sitting behind the Arkansas bench.

Who was playing?
Bless your heart

hogsanity

That's it!!!!!!!!

How many Final 4's has Gillespie been to?  Or Self? 

hawgslop74

My understanding is that everybody B##ched when we hired Nolan.
Look where he got us.
Give Dana a chance and then if he sucks start your B##chin then.
It is not his fault he got hired.
Go Hogs and Go Dana. :razorback:

jesterzzn

Quote from: hawgslop74 on April 02, 2007, 11:02:40 am
My understanding is that everybody B##ched when we hired Nolan.
Look were he got us.
Give Dana a chance and then if he sucks start your B##chin then.
It is not his fault he got hired.
Go Hogs and Go Dana. :razorback:
Yea, that's true.  These boards went crazy when we hired Nolan.

jamie72921

Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2007, 10:59:24 am

That's it!!!!!!!!

Isn't the subject Sutton.

I am not a Self believer. I do think Gillispie, though you are correct to point out he isn't truly accomplished yet, shows great promise so far.
Bless your heart

BartIV

Quote from: bigbrutha on April 02, 2007, 10:57:40 am

I know coaching records. Dana Altman went to Tourney 8 times out of 18 years.
7 of those times he lost in the first round.
1 of those times he won in the first round against Florida in 2002 "i think" and lost second round. It looks like Stan heath has a better record in the Tourney.

ishankem

Altmans record his first few years at Creighton:

year before he arrived:  7-22
his first year:               7-19
his second year:           14-15
his third year:               15-15
his 4th year:                18-10  and a NIT bid

Boy, he really set the world on fire (yawn).  in 4 years, he actually got a NIT bid.  OH Big Woop!   looks mediocre me

hogsanity

Quote from: jamie72921 on April 02, 2007, 11:04:42 am
Quote from: hogsanity on April 02, 2007, 10:59:24 am

That's it!!!!!!!!

Isn't the subject Sutton.

I am not a Self believer. I do think Gillispie, though you are correct to point out he isn't truly accomplished yet, shows great promise so far.

Sure, Sutton went to one final 4 at Ua.  How many Fonal 4's have Self and Gllespie, the 2 big names we wanted, been to.  Yet you act as if Eddie was not that great?

jamie72921

Eddie wasn't great.

John Wooden, Dean Smith, Coach K, Denny Crum, Bobby Knight, Adolph Rupp, and Iba were great.

Sutton doesn't belong in that list.

I am as much a fan of basketball as I am a Hogfan. The Hogfan in me wants to say Sutton was great because he built our program.

The basketball fan however knows that while Sutton was very good, he was not great.
Bless your heart

HogHillbilly

I'm tired of being alright all the time...........I want to be great again

I want Arkansas to be feared in the SEC
Pain heals.......Chicks dig scars.......Glory lasts forever.......GHG

Geohul

Didnt we do alrght the last tme we hired a BB coach from Creighton?  I think so, maybe I am wrong.  Didnt Eddie come from there?
Let's see.  We got an alcoholic who "crwaled" to another school to get away from our god awful AD.  The word no comes to mind.

Blue35

We have not come very far in the last 30 years if we still have to go to Creighton to get a head basketball coach. It was one thing to hire a coach from Creighton in 1976 when Ark was in the SWC and Barnhill would only be half full and another thing here in 2007 with a national championship banner and a 19000+ seat arena. Pitiful. I am extremely disappointed.  Bruce Weber or the Pittsburgh coach would have been  better choices. If Frank has 1.5 to 2 million to hire a coach,  he needs to stay on the job until he finds one, not hire the first mid major he likes so he can make it to Augusta for the tee off.

BartIV

Quote from: Geohul on April 02, 2007, 11:24:02 am
Didnt we do alrght the last tme we hired a BB coach from Creighton?  I think so, maybe I am wrong.  Didnt Eddie come from there?
Let's see.  We got an alcoholic who "crwaled" to another school to get away from our god awful AD.  The word no comes to mind.
We have had a lot of coachs crawl from Arkansas because of our AD.

bigbrutha

Quote from: BartIV on April 02, 2007, 11:07:13 am
Quote from: bigbrutha on April 02, 2007, 10:57:40 am

I know coaching records. Dana Altman went to Tourney 8 times out of 18 years.
7 of those times he lost in the first round.
1 of those times he won in the first round against Florida in 2002 "i think" and lost second round. It looks like Stan heath has a better record in the Tourney.

Good points.  I fear your instincts are probably correct about Altman.  I do like his experience.  Maybe he just needed a big time shot.