Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dana Altman 101: What every Hog fan should know...

Started by SidApollo, April 01, 2007, 07:06:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SidApollo

God, it's absolutely ridiculous reading this board!

First, Altman has stayed at Creighton for 13 years, because a.) he's close to his family (mom and dad), b.) he's making almost $1M per year at Creighton, c.) Creighton sold over 12,000 season tickets last year and averaged 16,000 per game in a freakin' beautiful arena (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwest_Center_Omaha), and d.) he gets pretty much whatever he wants.

Get this through your thick skulls -- he has not stayed at Creighton because no one else has wanted him or tried to lure him away. Every spring after the season is over, Creighton fans spend a month or two worrying their a**es off that he'll leave, because he's on almost every big-time school's list of potential coaches. Georgia offered, Illinois offered him before Bruce Weber, Iowa wants him right now, Minnesota wanted him (when they hired Dan Monson), I could go on and on.

And he and his staff can recruit. With the new arena, Creighton is starting to get higher-profile kids, and the Bluejays will have four Top 150 recruits on the roster next season. Now, keep in mind that that's at Creighton, not Arkansas. If he was at Arkansas, with the budget, and the facilities, and all the perks and attractions to get recruits there, you damn well better believe that he could get 5-star kids to come play for him. And I'd say, as far as recruiting goes, it's often more on the assistant coaches and the players that you have in your program to get the kids there.

His style is to have a deep bench, press and trap and force turnovers, and score lots of points in transition. When he's had the depth at Creighton, they've utilized a full-court press, or a three-quarter court press, and have forced lots of turnovers. He also likes to switch defenses during games and come up with looks that confuse the hell out of opposing teams. It's fun to watch. Unfortunately, Creighton has had too many injuries to key players the past two seasons, so they haven't been able to press quite as much.

And he didn't "fail" at Kansas State. This is from Kansas State's media guide: "Although his four-year tenure as Kansas State's head coach only produced one NCAA Tournament appearance, Dana Altman will be remembered most for his uncanny ability to win close ball games, and for pulling off some of the biggest upsets in school history. Altman's teams were a remarkable 28-13 in games decided by six points or less, which included a 6-1 mark in one-point games. His 1992-93 club perpetuated a K-State tradition. Picked to finish last in the Big Eight, Altman's Cardiac 'Cats won 11 games in the final minute, earned the school's first Top 25 ranking in five seasons, finished 19-11, reached the championship game of the Big Eight Tournament and returned K-State to the NCAA Tournament for the 21st time. Altman's peers named him Big Eight Coach of the Year in 1993 and he capped the season by upsetting No. 6 Kansas 74-67 in the Big Eight Tournament semifinals. The following season, Altman made it two in a row over Kansas when he upset the No. 1 ranked Jayhawks 68-64 on ESPN in Lawrence. The 1993-94 squad finished the year with a 20-14 record and advanced to the NIT Final Four in New York City. Altman left in 1994 to become head coach at Creighton, where he is now in his 13th season at the helm of the Bluejays' program in his home state of Nebraska."

Believe me, Kansas State has regretted the decision not to renew his contract since the day he stepped off that campus. They finally hired a coach who can win there, in Bob Huggins. But they wish they had kept Altman...

And, by the way, Altman was responsible for getting Mitch Richmond to come to Manhattan, Kansas. If you've ever been to Manhattan, you know Dana Altman can recruit.

Hopefully, that answers some questions about him...

badbrad

Oliver

Thanks Shavers.  We'll listen to this same BS come Monday when you are trying to sell us Altman.   :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

pigfeet

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 01, 2007, 07:08:57 pm
Thanks Shavers.  We'll listen to this same BS come Monday when you are trying to sell us Altman.   :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

lol

darth sooie

This class isn't taught at UA, like i said, i would rather have this guy, than DA if JFB doesn't go after grant:

Mike Dunlap    

(As of May 15, 2006)

Dunlap's second USA Basketball selection came on May 15, 2006 as a court coach for the 2006 USA Men's U18 National Team Trials. He also was a court coach at the 2005 USA Men's U22 National Team Trials.

"This will be the second year in a row for me, and as always, I'm looking forward to helping however I can," Dunlap said. "It's an honor to work with USA Basketball."

After nine seasons (1997-98 to present) at Metropolitan State College of Denver (Colo.), Dunlap is 248-50 (.832 winning percentage), making him the school's all-time winningest basketball coach. He has led Metro State to two NCAA Division II National Championships (2000 and 2002) and nine consecutive NCAA Division II Tournaments (1998 through 2006).

In 2005-06, the 21-10 Roadrunners broke a streak of 11 straight wins in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) Tournament with a loss in the championship game. Dunlap's squad had won the previous three tournament titles as well as tournaments in 1999 and 2000.

Dunlap guided Metro State to the NCAA Division II Elite Eight in 2005, finishing 29-4 and capturing regular season and conference tournament titles.

In 2003-04, the Roadrunners' 32-3 finish included a school-record 30 straight wins, an undefeated conference mark and a trip to the NCAA Division II Final Four. Beating opponents by an average of 28.1 points per game, Metro State ranked No. 1 nationally in margin of victory and No. 3 in scoring offense (93.4 points per game). Following Metro State's 2002 national championship, Dunlap was the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and the Bulletin Division II Coach of the Year.

After helping Metro State capture it's first national championship and a school record 33 wins in 1990-00, Dunlap was recognized as the NABC National Coach of the Year and RMAC Coach of the Year. The 1998-99 Roadrunners finished 28-9 after losing in the NCAA Division II national championship game.

In his first season at Metro State, Dunlap inspired a team that had been 13-13 the previous year to finish 25-5 and advance to the national tournament. After securing the school's first RMAC regular season title, Dunlap was honored as the RMAC Coach of the Year.

He coached professionally for three seasons (1994-95 through 1996-97) for the Adelaide 36ers of Australia and was 59-33 (.641 winning percentage). His squad advanced to the National Basketball League Final Four in 1995 and 1996.

In five seasons (1989-90 through 1993-94) as the head coach at California Lutheran University, Dunlap was 80-54 (.600 winning percentage), securing three Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference titles (1992, 1993 and 1994). Following NCAA Division III Sweet Sixteen appearances in 1992 and 1994, Dunlap was named the 1994 Kodak District Coach of the Year.

He was a assistant at the University of Southern California for three seasons (1986-87 through 1988-89), a graduate assistant at the University of Iowa for one season (1985-86) and an assistant at Loyola Marymount University (Calif.) for four seasons (1980-81 through 1984-85).

As an athlete, Dunlap played two seasons (1976-77 and 1977-78) at Pierce College (Calif.) before transferring to Loyola Marymount (1978-79 and 1979-80).

Big Papa Satan

Dana who?  Men are not named Dana.

I'm past through of glorified mid-major rejects.  No Altman.

SidApollo

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 01, 2007, 07:11:14 pm
Dana who?  Men are not named Dana.

I'm past through of glorified mid-major rejects.  No Altman.

Then just call him Dan... :)

pigfeet

Quote from: darth sooie on April 01, 2007, 07:11:01 pm
This class isn't taught at UA, like i said, i would rather have this guy, than DA if JFB doesn't go after grant:

Mike Dunlap    

(As of May 15, 2006)

Dunlap's second USA Basketball selection came on May 15, 2006 as a court coach for the 2006 USA Men's U18 National Team Trials. He also was a court coach at the 2005 USA Men's U22 National Team Trials.

"This will be the second year in a row for me, and as always, I'm looking forward to helping however I can," Dunlap said. "It's an honor to work with USA Basketball."

After nine seasons (1997-98 to present) at Metropolitan State College of Denver (Colo.), Dunlap is 248-50 (.832 winning percentage), making him the school's all-time winningest basketball coach. He has led Metro State to two NCAA Division II National Championships (2000 and 2002) and nine consecutive NCAA Division II Tournaments (1998 through 2006).

In 2005-06, the 21-10 Roadrunners broke a streak of 11 straight wins in the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference (RMAC) Tournament with a loss in the championship game. Dunlap's squad had won the previous three tournament titles as well as tournaments in 1999 and 2000.

Dunlap guided Metro State to the NCAA Division II Elite Eight in 2005, finishing 29-4 and capturing regular season and conference tournament titles.

In 2003-04, the Roadrunners' 32-3 finish included a school-record 30 straight wins, an undefeated conference mark and a trip to the NCAA Division II Final Four. Beating opponents by an average of 28.1 points per game, Metro State ranked No. 1 nationally in margin of victory and No. 3 in scoring offense (93.4 points per game). Following Metro State's 2002 national championship, Dunlap was the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) and the Bulletin Division II Coach of the Year.

After helping Metro State capture it's first national championship and a school record 33 wins in 1990-00, Dunlap was recognized as the NABC National Coach of the Year and RMAC Coach of the Year. The 1998-99 Roadrunners finished 28-9 after losing in the NCAA Division II national championship game.

In his first season at Metro State, Dunlap inspired a team that had been 13-13 the previous year to finish 25-5 and advance to the national tournament. After securing the school's first RMAC regular season title, Dunlap was honored as the RMAC Coach of the Year.

He coached professionally for three seasons (1994-95 through 1996-97) for the Adelaide 36ers of Australia and was 59-33 (.641 winning percentage). His squad advanced to the National Basketball League Final Four in 1995 and 1996.

In five seasons (1989-90 through 1993-94) as the head coach at California Lutheran University, Dunlap was 80-54 (.600 winning percentage), securing three Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference titles (1992, 1993 and 1994). Following NCAA Division III Sweet Sixteen appearances in 1992 and 1994, Dunlap was named the 1994 Kodak District Coach of the Year.

He was a assistant at the University of Southern California for three seasons (1986-87 through 1988-89), a graduate assistant at the University of Iowa for one season (1985-86) and an assistant at Loyola Marymount University (Calif.) for four seasons (1980-81 through 1984-85).

As an athlete, Dunlap played two seasons (1976-77 and 1977-78) at Pierce College (Calif.) before transferring to Loyola Marymount (1978-79 and 1979-80).

Would rather have him than that chick named Dana.

PiggoBitttys

Hey, if I have to, I can drink the koolaid. I don't have any other major college teams to watch in Fayetteville(at the arena). This is the best post I've seen on Altman so far. Definetley info that most on this board don't know, but also definetely info that highlights the better sides of Dana A. Not saying he's a bad coach, but I think we could do better. If not though, I'm happy to see him get a shot instead of Stan boring and players hate him Heath.

ballhog™

If he is the coach.  I want to like him.  Even if I don't I hope he does great.  I am glad to hear some things like that about him.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

rude1

Nice job of spin but it's come too late, somebody already posted his notable wins and who he lost to over the last 3 years and it was less than impressive to say the least. His only noteworthy win in the last 3 years was over a 24th ranked Xavier this year. This guy failed at his attempt to make it in the big leagues once already, we don't need to be his next failed attempt, end of story.

wirebender25

Quote from: SidApollo on April 01, 2007, 07:13:38 pm
Quote from: wirebender25 on April 01, 2007, 07:11:47 pm
Dana is that you?

Damn, how'd you figure it out?!

Well, since that is you then come on down.  You are the next mid-major to coach the Arkansas Razorbacks.

Silver Hog

hogfan47

Quote from: SidApollo on April 01, 2007, 07:06:42 pm

First, Altman has stayed at Creighton for 13 years, because a.) he's close to his family (mom and dad), b.) he's making almost $1M per year at Creighton, c.) Creighton sold over 12,000 season tickets last year and averaged 16,000 per game in a freakin' beautiful arena (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwest_Center_Omaha), and d.) he gets pretty much whatever he wants.

Get this through your thick skulls -- he has not stayed at Creighton because no one else has wanted him or tried to lure him away. Every spring after the season is over, Creighton fans spend a month or two worrying their a**es off that he'll leave, because he's on almost every big-time school's list of potential coaches. Georgia offered, Illinois offered him before Bruce Weber, Iowa wants him right now, Minnesota wanted him (when they hired Dan Monson), I could go on and on.

And he and his staff can recruit. With the new arena, Creighton is starting to get higher-profile kids, and the Bluejays will have four Top 150 recruits on the roster next season. Now, keep in mind that that's at Creighton, not Arkansas. If he was at Arkansas, with the budget, and the facilities, and all the perks and attractions to get recruits there, you damn well better believe that he could get 5-star kids to come play for him. And I'd say, as far as recruiting goes, it's often more on the assistant coaches and the players that you have in your program to get the kids there.

His style is to have a deep bench, press and trap and force turnovers, and score lots of points in transition. When he's had the depth at Creighton, they've utilized a full-court press, or a three-quarter court press, and have forced lots of turnovers. He also likes to switch defenses during games and come up with looks that confuse the hell out of opposing teams. It's fun to watch. Unfortunately, Creighton has had too many injuries to key players the past two seasons, so they haven't been able to press quite as much.

And he didn't "fail" at Kansas State. This is from Kansas State's media guide: "Although his four-year tenure as Kansas State's head coach only produced one NCAA Tournament appearance, Dana Altman will be remembered most for his uncanny ability to win close ball games, and for pulling off some of the biggest upsets in school history. Altman's teams were a remarkable 28-13 in games decided by six points or less, which included a 6-1 mark in one-point games. His 1992-93 club perpetuated a K-State tradition. Picked to finish last in the Big Eight, Altman's Cardiac 'Cats won 11 games in the final minute, earned the school's first Top 25 ranking in five seasons, finished 19-11, reached the championship game of the Big Eight Tournament and returned K-State to the NCAA Tournament for the 21st time. Altman's peers named him Big Eight Coach of the Year in 1993 and he capped the season by upsetting No. 6 Kansas 74-67 in the Big Eight Tournament semifinals. The following season, Altman made it two in a row over Kansas when he upset the No. 1 ranked Jayhawks 68-64 on ESPN in Lawrence. The 1993-94 squad finished the year with a 20-14 record and advanced to the NIT Final Four in New York City. Altman left in 1994 to become head coach at Creighton, where he is now in his 13th season at the helm of the Bluejays' program in his home state of Nebraska."

Believe me, Kansas State has regretted the decision not to renew his contract since the day he stepped off that campus. They finally hired a coach who can win there, in Bob Huggins. But they wish they had kept Altman...

And, by the way, Altman was responsible for getting Mitch Richmond to come to Manhattan, Kansas. If you've ever been to Manhattan, you know Dana Altman can recruit.

well put .
now give up trying to educate some on this board .
There fire em all attitude is what got the hogs where they are .
Untill a AD is hired no coach will come.
You house burners just keep yelling fire em all. :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: hogfan47 on April 01, 2007, 07:19:51 pmThere fire em all attitude is what got the hogs where they are .

The problem is, the people that should've been fired, weren't.

oldtimerhog

Quote from: hogfan47 on April 01, 2007, 07:19:51 pm

well put .
now give up trying to educate some on this board .
There fire em all attitude is what got the hogs where they are .
Untill a AD is hired no coach will come.
You house burners just keep yelling fire em all. :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Its not fire them all, its fire Nutt (one and out)
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

SidApollo

Quote from: rude1 on April 01, 2007, 07:17:37 pm
Nice job of spin but it's come too late, somebody already posted his notable wins and who he lost to over the last 3 years and it was less than impressive to say the least. His only noteworthy win in the last 3 years was over a 24th ranked Xavier this year. This guy failed at his attempt to make it in the big leagues once already, we don't need to be his next failed attempt, end of story.

I saw that post. Think about this for a second. If you're at a place like Creighton, you can't get schools from the big conferences to play you. They won't. They load up on cupcakes in the non-conference, because their conference races are so tough. And, especially with Creighton drawing 17,500+ for big games in Omaha, bigger schools won't play there. And Altman pretty much insists that any bigger school they play does a home and home with them. He wouldn't go to Arkansas for a guarantee game, and he won't do a 2 for 1. So, that's why there are very few marquee opponents on the schedule. But Creighton (and the Missouri Valley) does try to schedule only games against Top 100 RPI teams, so that's why their RPI is so high.

I think you have to look back at his tenure at Kansas State to see that he can win big games against highly-ranked teams. He led the Wildcats to wins against Kansas in back-to-back seasons, and beat the Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse when they were ranked #1 in 1993-94. He can coach in big games and against any opponent.

fu-man-soo

bd93

Hey look at the bright side, it can't get any worse then Heath......or can it?

Arkiebrian

Quote from: PiggoBitttys on April 01, 2007, 07:13:26 pm
Hey, if I have to, I can drink the koolaid. I don't have any other major college teams to watch in Fayetteville(at the arena). This is the best post I've seen on Altman so far. Definetley info that most on this board don't know, but also definetely info that highlights the better sides of Dana A. Not saying he's a bad coach, but I think we could do better. If not though, I'm happy to see him get a shot instead of Stan boring and players hate him Heath.

Agreed...but will Altman be able to keep everybody?

jry04

Great post. I have been trying to tell everyone else about this, but nobody listens to me. My family lives in Omaha so I have been following Creighton basketball for plenty of years now. He is a very good coach.

hogfan47

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 01, 2007, 07:21:52 pm
Quote from: hogfan47 on April 01, 2007, 07:19:51 pmThere fire em all attitude is what got the hogs where they are .

The problem is, the people that should've been fired, weren't.

I agree full hearted.
But untill a AD is hired stan should not have been fired and Nutt should not be fired.
You will not be able to hire a name coach .
If folks want to yell at the BOT then make them get a AD ASAP.
That is all i am saying.
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

Dugann

fire dana before he is our coach yep 68 points a game going fill up the seats.......WTH is he thinking.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

dotnet

Hollywood_HOGan

you dont fire coach heath to settle for Altman.

If we ended up with DA, that would mean firing heath would be  a mistake

Arkiebrian

Quote from: SidApollo on April 01, 2007, 07:27:27 pm

I saw that post. Think about this for a second. If you're at a place like Creighton, you can't get schools from the big conferences to play you. They won't. They load up on cupcakes in the non-conference, because their conference races are so tough. And, especially with Creighton drawing 17,500+ for big games in Omaha, bigger schools won't play there. And Altman pretty much insists that any bigger school they play does a home and home with them. He wouldn't go to Arkansas for a guarantee game, and he won't do a 2 for 1. So, that's why there are very few marquee opponents on the schedule. But Creighton (and the Missouri Valley) does try to schedule only games against Top 100 RPI teams, so that's why their RPI is so high.

I think you have to look back at his tenure at Kansas State to see that he can win big games against highly-ranked teams. He led the Wildcats to wins against Kansas in back-to-back seasons, and beat the Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse when they were ranked #1 in 1993-94. He can coach in big games and against any opponent.
Thanks for the effort on letting us know about Altman.  Are you from up there?

jhawg

Quote from: SidApollo on April 01, 2007, 07:08:26 pm
Quote from: pigfeet on April 01, 2007, 07:07:41 pm
Fire Dana!

Man, you're a quick reader...or dumb as nails.

You will learn quickly that there are many on here that are not very bright.

Thanks for the info.
"They are not worried about selling tickets. They are not worried about selling offenses and gimmicks and things of that nature. They are worried about winning and having a winning tradition."- Reggie Herring

jhawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on April 01, 2007, 07:38:08 pm
you dont fire coach heath to settle for Altman.

If we ended up with DA, that would mean firing heath would be  a mistake

did we fire stan just to hire a "big name?" Or did we fire him over job prefromance?
"They are not worried about selling tickets. They are not worried about selling offenses and gimmicks and things of that nature. They are worried about winning and having a winning tradition."- Reggie Herring

darth sooie

April 01, 2007, 07:42:46 pm #32 Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 07:45:16 pm by darth sooie
I like Mike Dunlap 401 better:

This is what Mike DeCourcy said about Mike Dunlap (now an assistant with the denver nuggets):

Unless you hang around coaching clinics or the Division II national championship, it's not a name you're going to know. If you've seen Dunlap give a lecture or coach his team, however, you know this is an uncommon talent whose value goes beyond his imposing record: 248-50 at Metro State, including two Division II titles.

Having listened to Dunlap speak several times, I can tell you he has an amazing basketball mind. I've seen him in action as a court coach for USA Basketball. Coaches who have made more money and coached on TV a lot more than Dunlap speak of him with a degree of reverence. Not many programs will look at a Division II coach when they're trying to decide on a coaching hire, but Dunlap also has experience as an assistant at Southern California and Iowa. So the level isn't foreign to him.

From the Philadelphia Inquirer...

The Web site is Mike Dunlap's site. www.startsmartbasketball.com, Most basketball fans may not recognize the name, but Dunlap is esteemed within his business, which is coaching basketball. The videos are all his work. You may never heard of his school, but Metropolitan State College of Denver won the Division II national title in 2000 and '02. A coaching magazine called him the best unknown coach in America.

Dunlap reportedly has turned down offers to coach Fresno State, San Francisco and Loyola-Marymount. A columnist in Portland wrote earlier this year that Dunlap would be perfect to coach Oregon. "Think Bob Knight... without the temper," Oregonian columnist John Canzano wrote.

3kgthog

And he didn't "fail" at Kansas State. This is from Kansas State's media guide: "Although his four-year tenure as Kansas State’s head coach only produced one NCAA Tournament appearance, Dana Altman will be remembered most for his uncanny ability to win close ball games, and for pulling off some of the biggest upsets in school history. Altman’s teams were a remarkable 28-13 in games decided by six points or less, which included a 6-1 mark in one-point games. His 1992-93 club perpetuated a K-State tradition. Picked to finish last in the Big Eight, Altman’s Cardiac ‘Cats won 11 games in the final minute, earned the school’s first Top 25 ranking in five seasons, finished 19-11, reached the championship game of the Big Eight Tournament and returned K-State to the NCAA Tournament for the 21st time. Altman’s peers named him Big Eight Coach of the Year in 1993 and he capped the season by upsetting No. 6 Kansas 74-67 in the Big Eight Tournament semifinals. The following season, Altman made it two in a row over Kansas when he upset the No. 1 ranked Jayhawks 68-64 on ESPN in Lawrence. The 1993-94 squad finished the year with a 20-14 record and advanced to the NIT Final Four in New York City. Altman left in 1994 to become head coach at Creighton, where he is now in his 13th season at the helm of the Bluejays’ program in his home state of Nebraska."

Be honest. You are a Creighton fan that's just trying to push Altman off on us so you guys can try and get someone better.

SidApollo

Quote from: Dugann on April 01, 2007, 07:36:50 pm
fire dana before he is our coach yep 68 points a game going fill up the seats.......WTH is he thinking.

So, Dugann, you really think that Dana Altman's pressing style, which creates lots of transition baskets, would only average 68 ppg with the type of kids he could attract to Arkansas? What does that say about Fayetteville, or the Arkansas program?

He'll get batter recruits there, and his style of basketball will not be what it was at Creighton, especially the last two years with all the injuries the Bluejays have had. You can't look simply at last year's per game average points as an indicator of the type of system he utilizes...

SidApollo

Quote from: Arkiebrian on April 01, 2007, 07:38:55 pm
Thanks for the effort on letting us know about Altman.  Are you from up there?

You're welcome. And I don't want Altman to leave Creighton. I'm just sick of people bashing him without knowing who they're bashing.

Actually, I live in the Twin Cities right now, but I lived in Omaha for four years and was a season-ticket holder for Creighton games.

HoopS

Altman is actually a pretty good coach.  All that seems to matter around here is that, yes, he was fired from Kansas State..... after a 20 win season.    He is an upgrade from Heath, whether anyone cares to believe that or not.  He just isn't the huge name we wanted.   His teams play hard and are fundamentally sound.  Somehow, they average around 15,000 fans a game... which is shocking to me.    Is he my choice?  No... but if we end up with him, I think we will realize that he's not a stiff.  He's well received in the midwest and is supposedly a pretty good recruiter... mind you, he is recruiting to Creighton.... so what could he do with our facilities, our fanbase, our history and against the SEC.

Anyway, nice try Sid.   Your post would get you smited to smitherines... but it's pretty accurate.

rude1

The fact he is at a mid major and won't do whats necessary to play the big boys, tells me all I need to know about his confidence in his program. It's no secret to build a top mid major you have to go on the road and beat the big boys in their house. Not only is this guy not beating them, he isn't even scheduling them, so he can continue to build his not so impressive streak of 20 cupcake win seasons.

Winner

Didn't Richmond play at KSU in the 80s. How does Dana get credit for that?

WilsonHog

April 01, 2007, 08:01:49 pm #39 Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 08:04:36 pm by WilsonHog
The problem has now become one of perception. In retrospect, it would have been better for JFB to have gone hard for Altman (or any other mid-major coach) last week and just sold the hell out of them as the guy we absolutely had to have. A bold, decisive move. The next Nolan. 

What happened instead was that we very publicly chased Billy Gillispie and John Calipari. The simple fact of the chase whetted Hog fans' apetite for a coach with a big name and reputation.

It would be similar to one of you walking onto a car lot and the salesman telling you that he's just certain he can get you in that Escalade, but when it comes time to make the deal all he can deliver is a very reliable Oldsmobile station wagon. Might be a fine vehicle, but you would be hard pressed not to be disappointed.

That's the difficulty at this point. I can't think of a single mid-major coach that we could hire that wouldn't make Hog fans go "bleh."  If we go that route, our new coach will have one heckuva sales job on his hands.  

Niels Boar

Altman is a good coach and would be an upgrade over Heath.  I won't be doing cartwheels, but I would prefer him to some other names being bandied about like Sutton, Sadler, and Lowery.  I think folks are a little too obsessed with hiring a "big name."  Sutton and Nolan became big names AT Arkansas and made Arkansas a FF program.  Newbie dominant programs like Duke, UConn, and UF didn't get that way by hiring a NC coach.  They hired coaches that were capable of winning NCs, which, of course, isn't obvious to discern.   Everybody on this board, including me, would be throwing up if we hired an inexperienced coach from West Point.  Coach Ksheyveski?  Who the heck is he?  We're doomed. 

We need to make a qualified hire.  The product will or will not put arses in seats.  We could do worse that Altman.   Remember we could have hired Gillespie when we hired Heath.   We made the wrong choice.  Sure, I'd piss myself if Pitino came strolling into Fayetteville,  but getting a hungry mid-major coach might work out better in the end than hiring a name looking for one last kaching.   

HoopS

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 01, 2007, 08:01:49 pm
The problem has now become one of perception. In retrospect, it would have been better for JFB to have gone hard for Altman (or any other mid-major coach) last week and just sold the hell out of them as the guy we absolutely had to have. A bold, decisive move. The next Nolan. 

What happened instead was that we very publicly chased Billy Gillispie and John Calipari. The simple fact of the chase whetted Hog fans' apetite for a coach with a big name and reputation.

It would be similar to one of you walking onto a car lot and the salesman telling you that he's just certain he can get you in that Escalade, but when it comes time to make the deal all he can deliver is a very reliable Oldsmobile. Might be a fine vehicle, but you would be hard pressed not to be disappointed.

That's the difficulty at this point. I can't think of a single mid-major coach that we could hire that wouldn't make Hog fans go "bleh."  If we go that route, our new coach will have one heckuva sales job on his hands.  

good point. 

TransAmHawg

Oh, Dana Altman.   

I thought ya'll meant Dana Caldwell, my bad.
It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

SidApollo

Quote from: rude1 on April 01, 2007, 07:48:16 pmThe fact he is at a mid major and won't do whats necessary to play the big boys, tells me all I need to know about his confidence in his program. It's no secret to build a top mid major you have to go on the road and beat the big boys in their house. Not only is this guy not beating them, he isn't even scheduling them, so he can continue to build his not so impressive streak of 20 cupcake win seasons.

Let's spin that around. Here is Arkansas' non-conference schedule from this season (with the team's final RPI in parentheses): California University (NCAA Division II team); SE Missouri State (292); Stephen F. Austin (246); Southern Illinois (7); Marist (103); West Virginia (57); Missouri (94); UMKC (245); Central Michigan (226); Oakland (124); Texas Tech (53); Texas (25); Oral Roberts (89); Louisiana Tech (192); and Tulsa (118). That's one Division II team (Creighton won't play D-II schools for regular season) and five teams with RPI's of 192 or higher.

Here's Creighton's non-conference: Mississippi Valley State (198); Nebraska (104); George Mason (119); Arkansas-Pine Bluff (240); Dayton (71); Xavier (32); Fresno State (88); Valpo (167); Houston (85); Hawaii (99); and Drexel (43). That's two teams with RPI's of 192 or higher, and we wish UAPB wasn't on our schedule.

Now who's really playing more cream puffs? Honestly...

SidApollo

April 01, 2007, 08:17:10 pm #44 Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 08:18:52 pm by SidApollo
Quote from: Winner on April 01, 2007, 07:56:31 pm
Didn't Richmond play at KSU in the 80s. How does Dana get credit for that?

He was an assistant coach for Lon Kruger before he left to take his first Division I head coaching job at Marshall. He was there for one year, and then he came back to Kansas State to replace Kruger after he left for Florida...

Mitch Richmond actually played JUCO ball for Coach Altman at Moberly Junior College.

IPig

Quote from: rude1 on April 01, 2007, 07:48:16 pm

The fact he is at a mid major and won't do whats necessary to play the big boys, tells me all I need to know about his confidence in his program. It's no secret to build a top mid major you have to go on the road and beat the big boys in their house. Not only is this guy not beating them, he isn't even scheduling them, so he can continue to build his not so impressive streak of 20 cupcake win seasons.

agreed

SidApollo

Quote from: MitchM on April 01, 2007, 08:42:31 pm
Quote from: rude1 on April 01, 2007, 07:48:16 pm

agreed

Hey, Mitch, read my response to rude1's post. It's about 3-4 posts above this...

hvg3

I spoke to a friend of mine today who is an AD for a JC in Dallas. He told me that Dana Altman would be a great find for Arkansas and that the fans would love his style of play.

SidApollo

Quote from: hvg3 on April 01, 2007, 08:48:46 pm
I spoke to a friend of mine today who is an AD for a JC in Dallas. He told me that Dana Altman would be a great find for Arkansas and that the fans would love his style of play.

Dana Altman was 94-18 in three years as a junior college coach. It'd be pretty hard not to be impressed with a resume like that.

Razorod

I made a post yesterday about Altman. No doubt, he's an upgrade over Heath. I also wonder if Altman plus Cyprian wouldn't be a bad combination. Altman can coach, Cyprian can help with the recruiting connections.

By the way, Jay Bilas thinks Altman is a great coach.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.