Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beverley trusts Altman, why can't the fans do the same?

Started by arkjay19, April 02, 2007, 09:51:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

arkjay19

if our players think this is a good hire, then the fans should see that the players and everyone outside of the state are saying that this was a good hire.  Stop bi***ing and at least wait until the season comes around to doubt. 

hog_fan

Why can't people have their own opinion? The guy might be fine, but people can grip if they want.

SPAL

because our classless fans have forgotten more about basketball than beverly will ever know.

SPAL

Quote from: hog_fan on April 02, 2007, 10:00:11 pm
Why can't people have their own opinion? The guy might be fine, but people can grip if they want.

you can...thats your right. Stupid and ignorant and classless though it may be, you are entitled to it.

HaWg 10

The fans that are saying Fire Dana, are stupid and retarted, thats about all there is to it, give the guy a chance for Gods sake
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

3kgthog

Look how many threes we jacked up in our last two blowout losses. Apparently that's what our guys want to do regardless of whether it wins games. So of course when Altman said his teams usually shoot lots of threes you know our guys' ears perked up.

SquirrelMasterFunk

This is a glittering jewel of an example of how clueless and classless some of the razorback fan base has become.

Dana Altman is a good to great hire.
This could possibly be a turning point in the basketball program.
While not as flashy a hire a JC or BG, it is just as solid a hire.

You so called Hog fans need to back off and let the guy coach a game as a razorback before starting you "fire Altman" crap.
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

PigSue-E

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on April 02, 2007, 10:15:59 pm
because our classless fans have forgotten more about basketball than beverly will ever know.

Or you could be even more classless and piss and moan about those that think this hire stinks of laziness and settling because the dip doing the search doesn't think Ark can get a big name coach.

jry04

Quote from: PigSue-E on April 02, 2007, 10:57:42 pm

Or you could be even more classless and piss and moan about those that think this hire stinks of laziness and settling because the dip doing the search doesn't think Ark can get a big name coach.
Was he not right though? At this point in time we couldn't get one. Bill Self said no, BG said no, Calapari said no, Tim Floyd said no, Bruce Webber said he wasn't interested. Who else would we go after with a legit shot?

heathshogs

I think this is a fine hire. But want to point out Patrick Beverley also believed everyone who told him if we went to the tournament Stan Heath wasn't going anywhere. Maybe Beverley is just a trusting kind of guy. 
A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

hoglee

We only know what we are told.   How do we really know what happened with those other offers.  The lack of candor in the past begs the question and creates the suspicion.

RazorbackNutt

QuoteOr you could be even more classless and piss and moan about those that think this hire stinks of laziness and settling because the dip doing the search doesn't think Ark can get a big name coach.

We tried to get pretty much every big name out there.  1.8 million just ain't enough to get 'em to move. 

Does anyone know why Arkansas, with all its Tyson, Wal-Mart, Jim Lyndsey money cannot offer more money than this?

HawgSolid

When did PB say he trusts Altman?  I have his interview DVR'ed, and he said, he and his mom would talk to the coach, but there are a lot of days between now and the first day of school, and he couldn't really say what this hire would do for his college career at UA.  He also didn't look happy or excited about this coach.

Jazorback

Quote from: cbad on April 02, 2007, 10:39:51 pm

This is a glittering jewel of an example of how clueless and classless some of the razorback fan base has become.

Dana Altman is a good to great hire.
This could possibly be a turning point in the basketball program.
While not as flashy a hire a JC or BG, it is just as solid a hire.

You so called Hog fans need to back off and let the guy coach a game as a razorback before starting you "fire Altman" crap.
I agree.

TorsinAHog

To borrow from Mark Twain, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, darned lies, and the UA Athletic Department.

http://foas.us/images/sigs/hamilton.jpg

hawaiianhogster

"SOME" of them are griping and complaining which is not an opinion. Nothing but hatred. They have no clue. The only way to settle this thing is to watch them play this season. If you watch them you will learn exactly how they play. If you go to the games you will see how Altman coaches. Don't watch them your opinion is meaningless if you don't get involved and watch the team play. Run and hide for all I care. That hatred should be vented towards Nutt. He's the one that's been here over 9 years and can't get it done. He hasn't proved anything other than dividing the fan base and players on the team. That is classless.

WestMemphisHogFan

Just because you have THE RIGHT, doesn't make it RIGHT. 

Yes, you have the right to gripe and complain about anything and everything if you would like...but WHY?  That just seems like a horrible way to live to me. 

Bigfoot

Quote from: arkhog9 on April 02, 2007, 09:51:14 pm
if our players think this is a good hire, then the fans should see that the players and everyone outside of the state are saying that this was a good hire.  Stop bi***ing and at least wait until the season comes around to doubt. 
im with you man! need to give altman a chance. this guy can coach trust me! he is no stan heath at all.

jst01

wait...dont you mean that PBev has forgotten more about basketball than our classless fans will ever know...makes lots more sense this way

Bigfoot

Quote from: HawgSolid on April 02, 2007, 11:18:59 pm
When did PB say he trusts Altman?  I have his interview DVR'ed, and he said, he and his mom would talk to the coach, but there are a lot of days between now and the first day of school, and he couldn't really say what this hire would do for his college career at UA.  He also didn't look happy or excited about this coach.
patrick is fine with altman! thats why he's staying dude! if he wasnt happy with altman he would not have made a statement yet. altman's a helluva hire in my opinion. just get behind him and support the hogs!

hview

revolution

Okay, can you not understand?  I hope Altman does well.  I hope he wins and restores our program's pride.  But I don't think this was a great hire, and I don't think Altman has the track record that suggests great success is in store. 

Just because a very few people are saying fire Altman doesn't mean you can paint all those who think his hiring was not good with the same brush.  You can believe he'll be great, I can think he'll be okay.  Past results back up my guess about what will happen better than yours.

But we'll see.  In the mean time, we can still discuss our differing opinions and defend them vehemently without questioning each other's loyalty to the Hogs, can't we?

Porkem

Quote from: arkhog9 on April 02, 2007, 09:51:14 pm
Hey no cursing...Mike Irwin is watching you!
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

revolution

I don't support Altman as our coach, but I will support Altman as he is our coach.  I think we should have done better, and I will continue to say that, but I hope he does great.

razorback3072

I don't have anything against DA.  I think he's a good coach.  However, this was messed up to begin with.  I don't see firing Heath to get Altman.  Was he the best we could do??  I think as long as Frank was around, probably.  Had he not been here, maybe we do better.  I will reserve judgement on him until I see his teams play.  Anyone notice on DTS that Frank skirted the question about how many guys did you offer the job too?  He never did answer.  That tells me we got turned down a few times and he doesn't want anyone to know about it and because of that, maybe this was the best we could do and maybe he will take us back to consistent winning.  Time will tell.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

pigsooiec5

PB was on Drive Time Sports and even mentioned that he could see Altman becoming a "father figure" type.

RazorbackNutt

QuoteHow the **** do you know this?  Arkansas tried to get every big name out there?  Do you have factual evidence of this?  Who told you who the Hogs did or didn't offer?  Can you give us a list? 

You retards read message boards and equate opinion with fact.  You have no idea who we offered or didn't offer.  You have no idea who we have been in contact with, what information was extracted from these contacts and what conclusions were deducted from these conversations.  Please shut the **** up and support our new basketball coach.

Hey, PSYCHO, calm down...  Retard??  Did you take your valium today, bud?  You're right, I don't know this, I was making a generalization so I could save time since I WASN'T MAKING AN ARGUMENT ANYWAY. I do support our new coach, genius.  If you would actually read the post you would see I was responding to someone who obviously was not in support of the new coach. 

I love people who call others a retard and then keep talking until it's clear that they read one sentence, got excited, and started screaming obsenities.

hview

Go read the Creighton board and think about the guy we just hired. I have and I am excited about having him as our HC.

RazorbackNutt

U.P. HOGG

Its one thing to gripe, it is another to whine, bash him and start a fire Dana Altman thread.  That is just stupidity and immature people at its best. Its okay to gripe by all means, but have some sort of class when doing it.

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: HawgSolid on April 02, 2007, 11:18:59 pm

No way you were watching the PC or the news.  PBev and the rest of the team had smiles on their faces during the presser and that has been reported by just about every media agency, KHOG has announced that Bev has decided to stay and that he didn't commit necessarily to a coach, but to the University of Arkansas and the basketball team.

U.P. HOGG

April 03, 2007, 12:28:36 am #31 Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 12:30:10 am by U.P. HOGG
Quote from: RazorbackNutt on April 03, 2007, 12:16:45 am
you have a link?

http://thebluejaycafe.com/BB/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=526edf81c88e45211920e06ccb88ac4b

or you could look at the top in MMQB where everything is stickied at the top and click Creighton Message Board.  ;)

clifflee4mvp

yeah beverly also said Arkansas was going to the sweet 16 and that Stan Heath was one of the greatest coaches to ever coach the game. Those might not have been his exact words but I am not sure I am going to base my decision on whether or not an 18-19 year old basketball player trusts him or not.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: mcmarti on April 03, 2007, 12:30:16 am
yeah beverly also said Arkansas was going to the sweet 16 and that Stan Heath was one of the greatest coaches to ever coach the game. Those might not have been his exact words but I am not sure I am going to base my decision on whether or not an 18-19 year old basketball player trusts him or not.

Then don't.  Just wait and see like everyone else will.

rbarber46

I will always love and support the hogs, but I sure feel like we were mislead by Broyles. The whole idea of firing Heath was to hire a proven winner. I hope he can be the guy. I will give him a chance but hell december is too long to wait for Broyles to go.
" Coach Lee's offense is more broken down all the way where everything is right, " Crawford said. " Everything is for everybody. Coach Lee's offense is more advanced than the offense we had last year was. A lot more advanced. Coach Lee, he knows his stuff. "

lilredheadedlady

Guys and girls, give Altman a chance.

No, he is definitely not the big name we were hoping for, but then again neither was Nolan when he came to the U of A.  Nolan went on to win a NC.  So you never know what you're going to get.  Let's wait until next year before we get our panties in a twist because we didn't get BG or someone of that caliber.

I'm true darksider.  I can't stand Houston Nutt and think he should have been fired based on his record alone years ago.  While I liked Heath as a man (he seemed like he had integrity), he didn't win games.  So I understood fans calling for his head, too.  He was given a chance and didn't produce.  It was time for a change.

But folks, when you're throwing tantrums before the new guy has coached his first game, it's time to throttle it back a notch or two.  I think it's fine for Arkansans to have the reputation for wanting excellence, but right now it seems like a lot of people won't be pleased with anything.   And for an established big name coach to come here, we'd either have to have had a better record than we've had lately and/or offer much more money than JFB (or any Arkansas AD in the near future) is willing to lay out. 

So calm down, untwist your underroos, and let's see if the new guy has any sand.  THEN, if he's terrible, we can call for him to be axed.   In the meantime, all these, "this hire is the end of the world" posts are a bit silly and certainly premature.  Until we've seen him coach at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville, both dire and glowing predictions are a bunch of hoodoo.

Welcome to the U of A, Coach Altman.  :)

I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!

KinkosHog

I'm supporting the guy 100%.

He's going to be successful at Arkansas.

BUCCANEER FAN

April 03, 2007, 02:12:22 am #37 Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 02:14:13 am by BUCCANEER FAN
I did watch dana altman and the creighton blue jays in the ncaa tournament, he has the ability to fire his team back up when times get tough and carry the team.You dont get to stay 10+ years at a d-1 college if your not a good basketball coach.He has lots of experience and i think he will get some good recruits to come to arkansas and i think he will do just fine as a coach here.

I can remember people ditching eddie sutton when he came to arkansas years ago, and look what happened he took arkansas to final four a few times and lots of ncaa appearances.You dont ditch a guy just because you didnt get the coach you wanted, you might get shocked at what altman can bring to this organization. :razorback:

hogninja

7 of 9 years in the Tourney at a private Catholic school with a student body of 6000 students.  Let the guy try it at the BIGS before you trash him.  I don't know enough about him to go one way or the other, but if he is at the same school for 13 years AND they STILL love him, he has to have something going for him.  IF he has averaged 15,000 butts in the seats for the same said school, his style of BB must be at the very least entertaining.  IF within 20 minutes he can get a wavering player to have a smile on his face and totally say he is excited to play for him, we have to be excited about his recruiting ability.  I like what I have seen and heard, so I will have to say I am behind this hire, It has the feel of a Sutton, or Nolan hire.  We don't know much about the guy but it can be a subtle "WOW" hire down the line if we give it a chance. :razorback:

RazorbackNutt

QuoteI don't love idiots or retards.  You are both.

???  Are you serious???

How old are you??

SPAL

Quote from: jst01 on April 02, 2007, 11:41:56 pm

wait...dont you mean that PBev has forgotten more about basketball than our classless fans will ever know...makes lots more sense this way

i was attempting sarcasm.....i guess u missed it.

Razors84

So Beverly is staying.  Dana gets my approval - Step 1: Keep Beverly. Check. Go Hogs!

Junkyard Hog

I think Altman is a solid coach.  My main concern about Altman is "can he recruit?"  The players reactions to his hire make me feel a lot better about that.

Hog inAustin

This fan does until he gives me reason to do otherwise...Go Hogs and welcome Coach!

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: RazorbackNutt on April 02, 2007, 11:17:22 pm
QuoteOr you could be even more classless and piss and moan about those that think this hire stinks of laziness and settling because the dip doing the search doesn't think Ark can get a big name coach.

We tried to get pretty much every big name out there.  1.8 million just ain't enough to get 'em to move. 

Does anyone know why Arkansas, with all its Tyson, Wal-Mart, Jim Lyndsey money cannot offer more money than this?

If we offered more money than the 1.8 we would have to deal with Nuttsack. I don't think the PTB is wanting to give him any more money until he proves that last year wasn't a fluke.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.