Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Stan Heath going to be fired? If so when?

Started by Hollywood_HOGan, March 16, 2007, 11:10:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

weresoclose

Good question.  IMO the talent we had on our team could have been coached to the Sweet 16, but no more.  Without solid Point Guard play, and without consistent perimeter shooting -- of which we really had only a couple reliable options, and Weems was needed in a slightly different role -- I don't think we could have been coached higher than that.

Bring in one really solid point gard, though, and who knows. 

Since our players weren't in top physical condition, it's really hard to tell what they were capable of.  But I would say that they were definitely Sweet 16 capable -- talent-wise.

RevHog77

Apparently we do have the talent seeing we swept one team (Vandy on the road and in Atlanta).  And we beat So. Ill. in Florida.  It's all about matchups.  A lot of teams with more talent than us is sitting at home or playing in the NIT. 

Boner

Not sure on the answer, but either way you answer the head coach is responsible.

mdizzy

No we didn't have the talent to beat USC in the tournament.

Exhibit A:  USC big men dominated Arkansas's big men.
Exhibit B:  Arkansas chucked 20+ 3 pointers and only made 3.

Conclusion:  We were outplayed at every position by USC (and Florida).

Result:  Blowout losses.

RevHog77

Am I the only one who still doesn't see how in the world we can fire Heath?  I can't think of anyone outside of UCLA teams in the 80's, firing a coach coming off of two NCAA tourney's and having a clean program. 

Hogtropolis™

I know we have been throwing names around of possible coaching candidates for a while now, but I would like to ask those in the know; Is Stan Heath 100% for sure not going to be the Arkansas  Razorback's Head Coach next year?

Rooka

Well I can think of why we can fire him since we have been one and done since Nolan was here, and that we have all the talent in the world on this team yet we play like crap during the tournament.

darth sooie

I believe jerry Green can't canned at Tennessee for Buzz Peterson, didn't turn out too well for them.

hogfan47

Only White and Frank can answer that at this sec
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

UAfan

there are too many people on here in the "know" who all have conflicting reports...nothing is for sure until the university issues something

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: RevHog77 on March 18, 2007, 06:35:07 pm
Am I the only one who still doesn't see how in the world we can fire Heath?  I can't think of anyone outside of UCLA teams in the 80's, firing a coach coming off of two NCAA tourney's and having a clean program. 

Rev, you might not be the only one, but you're close. :D
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

HawgG

According to those that actually make a living writing, scouting, and talking basketball. ARK did not even have the talent to be a NCAAT team.

So to answer the question it is a big Fat NO, we didn't have to talent or experience to be a NCAAT team.

That means ARK overachieved this season.Heath is the only basketball person that believed that the HOGS were an NCAAT team.

What USC did to us was simply put ARK in our place.NIT teams shouldn't be playing against the Big Boys.

Michael Porkleone

At Arkansas, we've earned the right to fire a coach for only making it to the NCAA tourney. 

Don't you know our RICH tradition of championships???
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

98hogs

How about a coach that plays to the level of competition and consitently is losing the high profile games.  How about a coach that can't fill an arena?  Has anyone ever seen those fired?  Just doing a job to get by doesn't accomplish anything.  You should always strive for best and if you can't get it done move on!

Ironhawg

The clean program part is commendable and is what our programs should always strive for.  The two NCAA tourney appearances ended in first round losses, one of which was to that basketball powerhouse Bucknell.  In five years Stan's teams have managed to post a winning conference record once.  Stan's teams have managed a 35-54 record in conference.  Included in that conference record is what, five road victories?  Arkansas season ticket sales are at the lowest level since Bud Walton Arena opened.  This seems to me to be at best a mediocre program.  Maybe our expectations are too high, but I remember a time when the waiting list for season basketball tickets was into the thousands.  I remember a time when we could legitimately expect to advance to at least the Sweet 16.  I remember a time when teams visiting Bud Walton were assured of a win.  I remember a time when we were playing for conference championships, not just to have a winning record.  IMHO Stan has not done enough to warrant another year.

swinestein

Quote from: 98hogs on March 18, 2007, 06:42:33 pm
How about a coach that plays to the level of competition and consitently is losing the high profile games.  How about a coach that can't fill an arena?  Has anyone ever seen those fired?  Just doing a job to get by doesn't accomplish anything.  You should always strive for best and if you can't get it done move on!
I second the motion.  The fans have already voted, with their feet.  Have you been to any games?  BWA only 1/2 full.

RevHog77

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 18, 2007, 06:43:55 pm

Yet we want a coach who had more talent and lost to an unexperienced Bucknell team, when we lost to a much more experienced basketball team.

The clean program part is commendable and is what our programs should always strive for.  The two NCAA tourney appearances ended in first round losses, one of which was to that basketball powerhouse Bucknell.  In five years Stan's teams have managed to post a winning conference record once.  Stan's teams have managed a 35-54 record in conference.  Included in that conference record is what, five road victories?  Arkansas season ticket sales are at the lowest level since Bud Walton Arena opened.  This seems to me to be at best a mediocre program.  Maybe our expectations are too high, but I remember a time when the waiting list for season basketball tickets was into the thousands.  I remember a time when we could legitimately expect to advance to at least the Sweet 16.  I remember a time when teams visiting Bud Walton were assured of a win.  I remember a time when we were playing for conference championships, not just to have a winning record.  IMHO Stan has not done enough to warrant another year.

Old Tusk

He is no better than Stan Heath.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

TRUHOG718

Dont start...totally different situation
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

WilsonHog

You're exactly right. Rick Barnes is only 216-86 in nine years at Texas, which is an average of 24 wins a year.

By contrast, Stan Heath can boast of an outstanding mark of 82-71 at Arkansas in five years, which is an average of 16 wins a year.

I don't know why other people haven't realized your point by now. Great job.   

jamie72921

I agree.

Rick Barnes has taken Texas to its first final four in only about 3 decades. Texas, an obvious basketball juggernaut, deserves more than 24 wins a season.

I think both coaches deserve fresh starts at new programs.

I propose that if the removal of Heath doesn't happen, that we should at least offer Texas a trade. Our head coach for their head coach.
Bless your heart

TRUHOG718

Hey should he be fired?  Maybe, maybe not but sometimes its just time for some old fashioned house cleaning to shake things up. Better to do it now because if we wait until next year we are screwed and it may be the start of our ending for the next few years.

Fatty McGee

I don't understand why we care what anyone else does?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

TRUHOG718

weresoclose

TRUHOG718

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on March 18, 2007, 07:04:09 pm
Ask me again on Friday
Quote from: weresoclose on March 18, 2007, 07:07:35 pm
Won't take that long, truhog.  My bet's on Monday.
Ask me again on Friday Tuesday

Factual Fiction

no.....................110%......................

BA Hogwild

The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

Dugann

Michigan coach got canned and he has very simular record and track record of heath so I would say yes.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

TRUHOG718

Hes got one foot in Bud Walton and the other foot in a Michigan Quicky Mart.

stormurr

I don't think anyone can answer that question ATM.

3kgthog

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on March 18, 2007, 07:24:00 pm

So Stan's got some "jewel in the forehead" Indian in him huh? Sweet.

Pork Twain

Quote from: tenhog on March 17, 2007, 02:49:29 pm
How can you fire Heath who has done as well as Nutt???  The only difference is that Heath has character and Nutt is an egotistical slime ball.
How can you keep camparing the two???  HDN is JFB's golden boy, oh well move on.  We should not be stuck with two poor coaches just because we are stuck with one.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TRUHOG718

March 18, 2007, 07:29:34 pm #83 Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 08:29:24 pm by TRUHOG718
Quote from: 3kgthog on March 18, 2007, 07:26:00 pm
Quote from: TRUHOG718 on March 18, 2007, 07:24:00 pm

So Stan's got some "jewel in the forehead" Indian in him huh? Sweet.

I dont know but that may be the first stop when he gets to town. At least they know he'll keep the  fruits and vegetables fresh especially around march.

ceegar

He will most assuredly not be the Michigan coach.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

redbarn

If the powers that be want to fire Heath they can fire him.............as a former boss told me one time............"Rank has its' priveliges."
"I'm against the constitutionality of marriage in any way, shape, or form.  You may quote me......."  Rev Jerry Falwell

ArkieBrat

My belief is that JW has the final say.  And who even has a clue as to what his decision will be.
My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

forrest city joe

He is not going to get a job offer from michigan or minnesota. he is not even on the list. we have to fire him folks. and we have to do it now. open this job up and see who wants it. we don't have time to keep Stan on hold. i hope monday is the day.

Toad Suck Pork

Frank needs to convice Stan to leave and then fire him if he won't.  That buyout money will come in handy.

imtad16

They can still show him the door because its not like it was some official anouncment..... it was someone who was close to the program who leaked it... it was't even someone in the program that leaked it.

Pigonometry

Nope, I've been saying that since we made the tourney.  It would be a PR nightmare to fire a coach who brought our program from the abyss to back-to-back 20 win seasons and NCAAT appearances.

I don't think Heath will ever get it done but it will look bad to fire him.  Maybe he'll just "resign".......
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

forrest city joe

i Agree. i too wish Stan would step up and resign. but that is not going to happen. we need to stop wasting time and get on with it. Stan should be fired on monday if he does not resign. it's the way it is going to end short of him staying.we may be suprised who wants this job when it opens up.and now that broyles is out, our chances are better we can get a big name guy.like it or not. some top coaches did not want to work for Frank.

Thermonuclearpig

weresoclose

I can't believe what I'm reading.  So all the sudden you're no longer worried about the wrecking-ball disaster that would ensue?  Just because of ONE game?  Seriously, FCJ, how could your doom-and-gloom prediction just disappear after a performance everyone should have seen coming Friday in Spokane?

elksnort

I doubt FCJ or anyone else is judging Stan by this last game only.

Immensehog

Quote from: weresoclose on March 18, 2007, 08:34:55 pm
I can't believe what I'm reading.  So all the sudden you're no longer worried about the wrecking-ball disaster that would ensue?  Just because of ONE game?  Seriously, FCJ, how could your doom-and-gloom prediction just disappear after a performance everyone should have seen coming Friday in Spokane?

The dissapointing perfomance is the last 5 years.

His players don't respect him, they won't play hard for him.

Our program is teetering on becoming a joke after 20+ years of being a powerhouse.

He has to go, or it's really over for Razorback basketball.
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

weresoclose

Well ONE SINGLE GAME AGO he said that if we fired Heath the whole world would come crashing down around us.  I'm just wondering what that one game did to change his mind.

forrest city joe

Let me give it to you like this. i was wrong for letting my harsh feelings about nutt, cloud my thinking about Stan. no more. it's time to fix both these programs now.starting with this basketball program. there you go. i admit my feelings for Stan before this last game was based on nothing  more than my dislike for nutt. i was wrong to do that. this last game was a wake up call for me. as this season should have been. Stan must go now.

jbcarol

There is a poll on another thread that suggests Tubby Smith will be fired at UK.

It true they will have fired a coach who has been to 10 straight NCAA Tournaments just at that school including winning in the first round each of those 10 years.

Obviously, Tubby Smith will not be fired.  I just like to compare the rationale with the perceptive question asked on this thread.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Rooka

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 18, 2007, 08:41:49 pm
Let me give it to you like this. i was wrong for letting my harsh feelings about nutt, cloud my thinking about Stan. no more. it's time to fix both these programs now.starting with this basketball program. there you go. i admit my feelings for Stan before this last game was based on nothing  more than my dislike for nutt. i was wrong to do that. this last game was a wake up call for me. as this season should have been. Stan must go now.
I agree, We were once a basketball school so lets return to be a national power. First of all, Let's get rid of Heath MONDAY, no later.  Like FCJ says see who wants the job and if there is a big name coach that is interested in it lets see if we can make it happen. I don't mean someone from Southern Illinios or VCU. I like Anthoney Grant alot BUT we need to hit a homerun with this next coach. Not take chances, lets get a proven coach and pay whatever it takes to get this Razorback Basketball program back on the map where it belongs.