Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Emergence of Michael Washington

Started by jchill, March 08, 2007, 07:48:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jchill

Michael is becoming a bigtime contributor for the Hogs lately. I think that may be the edge the Hogs need to win the tourney, because he gives Hill and the other big men more rest. I hope that he keeps improving every game.

mbgrulz

whatever he is, is better than vince hunter.

Hawgvillain

Equally important...between him and Townes we can hopefully have 1 guy play well.

Washington is a bit like a little Durant - in that he is a lanky big guy that can shoot and dribble.  Of course, Durant is a thousand times better - but if Washington can continue to improve, he has all the potential in the world.

ballhog™

Quote from: jchill on March 08, 2007, 07:48:26 pm
Michael is becoming a bigtime contributor for the Hogs lately. I think that may be the edge the Hogs need to win the tourney, because he gives Hill and the other big men more rest. I hope that he keeps improving every game.

good observation.  I think he has been a big factor in the better play by the team lately. 
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Dugann

gdang better then hunter and yes he has been great think if he was the same play time from day one to now instead of hunter /ponder.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

VinnyW

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 08, 2007, 07:52:13 pm

i loved how V-hun only came in after we were up by 25....You're finally getting it Stan!!!

VinnyW

This kid is gonna be a stud...I mean he was thinking about jumping to the next level at one point...He obviously made the right decision comming to college...but to even have that option, no matter how remote, is a good thing

weevilhogg

One of the goobs on DTS mentioned that he played a little PG in AAU ball.  Now, there's no way he does that at the college level, but if he can really work on his ball handling skills, just imagine what kind of damage he could do in an up-tempo style --- he could play 2,3,4, and 5.  He could lead the break and have superior court vision.  He could  be the emergency outlet when we face a pressing team.

The possibilities are endless.

He can be the ultimate indside-outside post player.

Oh my!

slopinhogs

he's going to be a good one and he definitley is not lazy ,he hustles every second he is on the court.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Sharkansas

Early in the season you could really tell that he was a defensive liability (missed assignments, etc).  That really limited his minutes and prevented us from seeing what he could do.  Now it looks like he has improved defensively, which is allowing him to stay on the floor more and display his offensive skill.

ConcreteHog

Hard to believe 4 years ago...

Vin Hunter = Mr Basketball in Ark
Ronnie Brewer runner up

Now...

Ronnie Brewer = Mr NBA
Vin Hunter is clean-up duty

riccoar

I almost did a double take when I heard McGowan's name.  Hell, I forgot he was on the team.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: weevilhogg on March 08, 2007, 09:16:27 pm
One of the goobs on DTS mentioned that he played a little PG in AAU ball.  Now, there's no way he does that at the college level, but if he can really work on his ball handling skills, just imagine what kind of damage he could do in an up-tempo style --- he could play 2,3,4, and 5.  He could lead the break and have superior court vision.  He could  be the emergency outlet when we face a pressing team.

The possibilities are endless.

He can be the ultimate indside-outside post player.

A bit like Kevin Durant...

With tall athletic guys like him and Weems that have some ball handling abilities - there is no reason we should not be able to get the ball in bounds against Tenn.

GrumpyHog

Quote from: mbgrulz on March 08, 2007, 07:52:13 pm

You can say that again.

jchill

Nice story about Michael on Razorback Central website. This kid has so much going for him. He will be fun to watch in the upcoming years.

slopinhogs

they should be teaching him how not to foul so much this week.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

AHogalypto

We're going to need him to keep playing well, since it doesn't look like Thomas will play. Also, Hill and Townes need to score some more and be aggressive on the boards.

Break & Run

We're not winning the NCAA Tournament.  We MIGHT make it to the Sweet 16
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

kenton

Quote from: hog_fan_08 on March 12, 2007, 06:17:44 pm
We're not winning the NCAA Tournament.  We MIGHT make it to the Sweet 16

Gotta have a good attitude
Hogville is full of winners and smiters.

I'm Kenton Rogers from somewhere in Texas and I APPROVE THIS POST

WMS > RRS
RRS < WMS
WMS = KING

Hogville: IF YOU CAN'T SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW THEN I'M GOING TO DEMEAN YOU BY CALLING THE REPOST POLICE.  Most commonly used phrase on Hogville: Read more.  Post less.  (darn, take your own advice!)

Pigzwillfly

Break & Run

guess what...i've been saying that ever since we got a 12 seed and i've been smited away.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

zwhogfan

Washington has all the potential in the world, if he can continue to develop I look for him to do great things

grizzlyhawg

Foul trouble seems to be his biggest hurdle at the moment.  However there were a couple BS calls that he got whistled for in the last two games that weren't his fault. 

It's great to have another scorer emerge this late in the season.  Hopefully he can show some great shooting and scoring against the Trojans.

stronguard

The first game I made this year was the Tulsa game.  I was there 1 hour early and got to get close and watch warmups and shoot around.  MW impressed me to the point that I caled my father from the arena and told him that the best player on the court was MW.  It has kinda been a runing joke since then, but the joke has turned on him the last few games. 

This kid is for real.  He has all the tools, and he knows how to use them.  His biggest problem this year has been work ethic, and like he said in the paper today, he has leanrned to bust his butt in practice.  I'm not a STANLEY fan, but this kid is a keeper. and with his emergence for an entire season we have a good shot at winning the SEC next year. If we get a PG.

STANLEY must go.....to the sweet 16 or another job.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

netteltonhog

Washingtons problem has been conditioning all year.  He didn't get to start practicing with the other guys till October.  He didn't have the stamina until just recently, as everyone can tell by his emergence on the court.

booogaga

GO HOGS!

pcrouch3809

Washington is going to get better and better.  Nobody should worry about keeping Beverley for 4 years, its Washington who is going to leave early.

hogsmaster

He moved ahead of Hunter in the rotation.  Next year, he will take some minutes away from Townes and Thomas (who has heart but a little small).  MW has good skills for a big guy.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

He needs to get rid of the corn rows and loosen up da fro baby!!!  That would be awesome AND help with rebounding!!!!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

booogaga

great hight (almost 7 foot) great speed, good ball handling skills, isnt afraid to drive to the basket or to take a jumpshot. more of a true power forward. i would love to see he and hill in the starting rotation next year. with weems at the small foward and bev and welsh at the guard spots.
GO HOGS!

LZH

I remember seeing him shooting by himself in his driveway countless times (and with other kids too)...I never, ever woulda guessed he would have turned out like this.  I didn't even know at the time he was even on the BB team here.

hawaiianhogster

I have been impressed. I'm glad he's on our team. I really believe that next season we will upset allot more people than we are now.

Verge

he fouls alot cause he has no experience...

he has no experience, cause heath didn'g play him for the first 4 months of the season

litmachog

Man I've been so impressed with his development.  I at first thought he might have to redshirt because of the depth but now he is the depth.

Sometimes I watch him and wonder, is it possible that one of starting bigs will be sitting on the bench to start season.

stronguard

Quote from: rzrbkman on March 13, 2007, 08:10:27 am
Quote from: booogaga on March 12, 2007, 11:16:40 pm
great hight (almost 7 foot) great speed, good ball handling skills, isnt afraid to drive to the basket or to take a jumpshot. more of a true power forward. i would love to see he and hill in the starting rotation next year. with weems at the small foward and bev and welsh at the guard spots.

I don't believe he is close to 7ft. He's been listed as 6'10 ever since Arkansas was serious about him and then signed him but I saw him listed as 6'8 by most recruiting services at the same time. He does'nt look any bigger than Charles Thomas, in my opinion. I believe he is 6'10 only by using the same yardstick they used to measure Corliss and Alonzo Lane and listing them at 6'7.

He is most defintely taller than ChuckT.
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

booogaga

Quote from: stronguard on March 13, 2007, 08:36:30 am
Quote from: rzrbkman on March 13, 2007, 08:10:27 am
Quote from: booogaga on March 12, 2007, 11:16:40 pm

I don't believe he is close to 7ft. He's been listed as 6'10 ever since Arkansas was serious about him and then signed him but I saw him listed as 6'8 by most recruiting services at the same time. He does'nt look any bigger than Charles Thomas, in my opinion. I believe he is 6'10 only by using the same yardstick they used to measure Corliss and Alonzo Lane and listing them at 6'7.

He is most defintely taller than ChuckT.

yeah, you might want to look again. he is taller than CT. When he stands next to townes he looks taller when he is next to hill he looks about the same height. hell he is only 18 he could still be growing. so it could be true that when they recruited him he was only 6 foot 9. it isnt unheard of  for someone to grow an inch or two in a year and a half.
GO HOGS!

Bacon The Saddle Again

Washington has been huge, but Welsh has been even bigger IMO.  I say that because he has come in to run the point and has not turned the ball over.  He also hits some BIG shots in crucial situations.  I think Welsh's play has been the key factor in Ervin's play stepping up a few notches.  Ervin quit turning the ball over when the Hogs found out there was another capable point guard on the team.

little pigee

Washington is going to be a great one if he continues this pace.  And, he has no lack of confidence.  He BELIEVES he belongs out there.  What is up with Stan admitting he is playing well, but doesn't start him because he is a freshman.  He starts Beverly?
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Hawgzilla

With Beverly,Washington and Welsh we have a nice FR. class going that all look like future leaders.Add Rakestraw and Bush and if we can add a power forward and a center in 08 or 09 we will be looking at great things for our Hogs for the future.......... :razorback:

311Hog

At this point Washington needs to do two things.

1. Have better shot selection,

2. Dont compound taking a bad shot with pushing to hard on the defensive end and getting a cheap foul.

At this point that is what i see as his problem simple freshman mistakes, otherwise our freshman have stepped up large this year.

HogNuttz

Washington had 17 points & 7 boards against Florida in 19 minutes. 

This is playing against Noah, Horford, and Richards.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

booogaga

i still think stan needs some juco players next season so we will have some senior leadership when the team looses 7 or 8 players
GO HOGS!

catdog

I think if arkansas can get past usc mw could match durant better than anybody else on our team and if u can at least contain durant you got a chance.

LordStanleysHog

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on March 13, 2007, 01:06:29 am
I have been impressed. I'm glad he's on our team. I really believe that next season we will upset allot more people than we are now.

with everyone coming back next year, I don't imagine us in too many games where we're that much of an underdog to be considered an "upset."

jchill

Quote from: little pigee on March 13, 2007, 09:01:50 am
Washington is going to be a great one if he continues this pace.  And, he has no lack of confidence.  He BELIEVES he belongs out there.  What is up with Stan admitting he is playing well, but doesn't start him because he is a freshman.  He starts Beverly?

Maybe because the frontline is so experienced. The backcourt was basically up for grabs this year, but I do agree, if he is the best player he should be on the floor.

Hog Fan from Camden

If Charles Thomas is not 100% Friday, which is likely, I think Washington should start.

catdog

i really think thomas is gonna be good he just doesn't need to make any more bold statements like im not gonna miss a game due to injury lol but if he's not 100% i think washington should start also.

djgaffer

Quote from: little pigee on March 13, 2007, 09:01:50 am

There is a difference in Beverly and Washington.  Beverly doesn't play like a freshman.  He plays with great poise.  Beverly has had to shoulder the load of being this team's go to option all year.  Washington has a world of potential.  Great skills.  He plays hard, and seems to have a knack for the ball.  But as with a lot of freshman, he brings risk.  His fouls are mostly due to poor defensive positioning.  He hasn't quite learned what a good shot is yet, etc. 

That isn't a cut down on Michael as 95% of all freshman have the same characteristics.  His minutes will grow as continues to increase the good and minimize the crazy.   But it is logical to start one freshman, then not start another "because he's a freshman".  One has been ready since he walked on campus.  The other is getting better every day and more ready by the game.