Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scotty Thurman's Shot

Started by razrken, March 14, 2007, 08:11:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razrken

While speaking of media bias, has anyone ever wondered whenever they do a promo of the greatest shots in tourney history...that never makes it.  Also whenever they do a promo for greatest games in NCAA history...that game is never discussed...it was decided by 4 points in the last minute.  I think it was pretty exciting.  My opinion is that it was against Duke and they try to slide under the radar because no one wants to remember that Big prestigious smart Duke was beated by Lil' Ol' Nuckle Draggin Arkansas.  This prolly my biggest pet peave of the tourney.

spudhog

Quote from: razrken on March 14, 2007, 08:11:46 am
While speaking of media bias, has anyone ever wondered whenever they do a promo of the greatest shots in tourney history...that never makes it.  Also whenever they do a promo for greatest games in NCAA history...that game is never discussed...it was decided by 4 points in the last minute.  I think it was pretty exciting.  My opinion is that it was against Duke and they try to slide under the radar because no one wants to remember that Big prestigious smart Duke was beated by Lil' Ol' Nuckle Draggin Arkansas.  This prolly my biggest pet peave of the tourney.

Nantz and Packer Labeled it the greatest game they had ever done together ( a quote from the 2nd half of that game). I don't get it either, the shot was memorable and in the last minute. Jordan's shot went in with like 20 seconds left. I don't get it either.

Tejano Jawg

Every time when the tourney promos start running, I wonder the same thing. You've got it...to many in the esteemed national media, the Arkansas-Duke game was just a little glitch for them. It didn't really matter. Hell to them, maybe it really didn't happen at all! And you'll also notice there's no shortage of Christian Laettner highlights.

But the main thing is...WE remember.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

razrken

Yep that Laetner shot against Kentucky gets replayed over and over...I am sick of that...Or even Tius Edney driving the length of the court against Mizzou...I just don't get it.

Biggus Piggus

Anything that helped Arkansas win a national title can't be great.
[CENSORED]!

zebra

Could it be because we beat media darling Duke?

razrken

But of all teams to win a title against...We could not have asked for a better game to win

Michael

anyone have videos from that game?

razrken

I have a video, but my tape ran out before the "Shot"  and I rewound the tape and began recording again and missed some of the last few seconds becuase I wanted to record the trophy presentation

razrken

Yep I called that mistake Brutha'

Frank and Swine

No one will want to hear this, but I think it is true and applies to both our FB and BB programs.  With the exception of two short lived periods in Razorback history (mid '60's and early '90's) we have been a middle of the pack type of program.  The Universities that are always promoted have storied past over many years of being the elite teams that win big consistently.  There are big tournament rivalry's where the winners are the same teams in different years.  Occasionally an outsider will sneak in and grab some spot light then fade out again, such as we did.  Sutton made BB big in Arkansas and briefly nationally during the triplets years, but other than a final four appearance once that was it.  Nolan came on and forced the nation to take notice because of a new style of ball, a continuous winning record and the race card he played demanding acceptance.  Then he faded out.  Football has been the same way.  Like Rick S. likes to point out, we have spurts of glory about every 25 years then fade back to mediocrity.  Once you get to the pinnacle of a sport you have to stay there to earn the respect of the rest of the country and become the standard that the other programs are reaching for. 

I think a few posters on this board understand what I'm trying to say which is, we have a 10 win season for the first time in school history and some are ready to pound their chest and proclaim we have the right coach, facilities and vision to play with the big dogs.  In actuality, we just hit that anomaly and will most likely fade back to mediocrity because that has been our history with the present coaches and even the past coaches.  Our AD and RF have not made the commitment to go after the very best coaches available or even unavailable(Sabin, B. Davis, B. Self).  What do we have to offer the top players in the nation to come here that they can't get at the elite schools? 

Media is about ratings.  They report the sensational and hype it to get your attention.  In order to do that you have to have exceptional players that everyone is talking about or a new style of ball that is controversial but exciting.  We actually had this recently with 40 min of hell and HUNH.  Unfortunately, we chased off the implementers.

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: Frank and Swine on March 14, 2007, 10:39:56 am
No one will want to hear this, but I think it is true and applies to both our FB and BB programs.  With the exception of two short lived periods in Razorback history (mid '60's and early '90's) we have been a middle of the pack type of program.  The Universities that are always promoted have storied past over many years of being the elite teams that win big consistently.  There are big tournament rivalry's where the winners are the same teams in different years.  Occasionally an outsider will sneak in and grab some spot light then fade out again, such as we did.  Sutton made BB big in Arkansas and briefly nationally during the triplets years, but other than a final four appearance once that was it.  Nolan came on and forced the nation to take notice because of a new style of ball, a continuous winning record and the race card he played demanding acceptance.  Then he faded out.  Football has been the same way.  Like Rick S. likes to point out, we have spurts of glory about every 25 years then fade back to mediocrity.  Once you get to the pinnacle of a sport you have to stay there to earn the respect of the rest of the country and become the standard that the other programs are reaching for. 

I think a few posters on this board understand what I'm trying to say which is, we have a 10 win season for the first time in school history and some are ready to pound their chest and proclaim we have the right coach, facilities and vision to play with the big dogs.  In actuality, we just hit that anomaly and will most likely fade back to mediocrity because that has been our history with the present coaches and even the past coaches.  Our AD and RF have not made the commitment to go after the very best coaches available or even unavailable(Sabin, B. Davis, B. Self).  What do we have to offer the top players in the nation to come here that they can't get at the elite schools? 

Media is about ratings.  They report the sensational and hype it to get your attention.  In order to do that you have to have exceptional players that everyone is talking about or a new style of ball that is controversial but exciting.  We actually had this recently with 40 min of hell and HUNH.  Unfortunately, we chased off the implementers.

the basketball program at Ark is one of the top in the nation for all-time.  About two years ago, Sporting News printed up a magazine about the top 100 basketball programs.  Ark was ranked EIGHTH.  Thats pretty dang good, IMO. 
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!

mrcrowley

we were pretty good in the 70's too. rember that guy holtz....78 orange bowl....we just couldnt beat texass

wooly

I was screaming at the TV when they mention teams that had the chance to repeat. It is always like we are just barely mentioned.

booogaga

off the subject but i was at that game with my dad. 13th row on the same corner that scotty made the shot. i almost had a heart attack, it was awesome.
GO HOGS!

3kgthog

If we had one of the talking heads in bed with Stan Heath then I'd bet we would get more play. Having Billy Packer and some of the producers as hardcore fans of Coach K probably has something to do with them getting stroked so much by CBS. Not to mention Coach K gets to jump through the NCAA recruiting advantage loophole and have his commercials plastered all over the NCAAT more often than that stupid "They call me the busdriver kid cause I'm takin' you to school. Fada!" commercial that was played to death during the SECT.

Personally, I like things the way they are. That way if we ever become great again it's just going to gnaw and grate on the media idiots like fingernails on a chalkboard. We saw a glimpse of it during football season, but that obviously went down the toilet with every consecutive loss. If you think back the same thing happened when the Diamond Hogs eventually went to Omaha. Kyle Peterson sat there on the ESPN regional selection show and said we were the only team that didn't deserve to be a #1 seed. It bothers all of them when a member of the ESPN, ABC, CBS fraternity is beaten by a team with no shoes or cable tv.

RootnShoot

Another example of bias against "the shot" from CBS is on their highlights of the tourney on cbssportsline. When you sign up to watch the games online, they give you some teasers from the last few years. From the early 80s to last year the only year I saw missing was 1994. Maybe there is a a weird broadcasting regulation that they have to deal with, or maybe they hate Arkansas, I don't know. 
There are more important things.

HouTxRzbck

March 14, 2007, 11:23:30 am #18 Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:30:35 am by HouTxRzbck
My avatar explains it all
"Do you do drugs Danny...?"

"...Every Day"

"So what's the problem...?"

Mo_Better_Hogs

Not only was Scotty's shot great, clutch, but it put a wrap on one of the best seasons in modern times (only 3 losses). Plus, while we had our stars, our strength was the quality of the depth we had. One of the deepest teams ever. If the media doesn't want to think about that ever again, screw 'em.

Also, what's up with Biggus pulling the pic of Nutt in his avatar for the Cubs logo?

Pigonometry

Quote from: Michael on March 14, 2007, 09:52:37 am
anyone have videos from that game?

Yes, And I also taped Mike and Rick calling the whole game on the radio..........
Baseball is simple, but never easy.

jbcarol

In the category of "it's a small world":  I was just at a luncheon and had a conversation with a highly successful woman.  When she heard me mention "Arkansas", she asked if I had ever heard of her former hometown friend, a guy named Scotty Thurman.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

IronHog

You are flat out wrong on the basketball program.  Few programs can match Arkansas' success on on the court.

http://daresler.net/info/top/basketball-programs/

Our football program is very average.  It should not be pathetic as it has been the past 15 years.

http://sportssay.beloblog.com/archives/2005/09/ut_cant_beat_ya.html

Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

pneaville

You're absolutely right.  Every year I wait to see it, and I never do...  That was a great game, all the way through.  I agree its the pro-Duke bias of these networks.  They don't even know teams like us exist.  I'll never forget Dean Smith in his pre-game commentary saying that there was no way Arkansas could hang with Duke, and I'll never forget being in that stadium as we won the game. 
God is a Razorback

pneaville

Before anyone asks I taped the game (like any good hog fan) since I was in Charlotte, so I didn't see Smith say that until after we had won the game and I was watching the coverage.   :razorback:
God is a Razorback

jamie72921

We had our first ten win season in our history this year?
Bless your heart

HogsGranpa

It is thing that TV sports have pushed for years.   

They always want a NYC, eastern coast regional, or LA, western regional audiences because of the large metro population base, because of ratings.

A St. Louis Cardinal/Kansas City World Series, or any fly-over midwestern area, the TV people hate..

A Yankee/Mets Series, NY/Boston, NY/Philadelphia, or in states that have large populations, or are big electoral vote states they love, such as Texas, etc, that is what they want, badly.

In other words, it is a bias toward large population area, simply because of ratings, and Arkansas, for them, does not qualify. 

In my opinion, that is the reason for the "eastern bias", which is indeed there, because of ratings.

bigyellowdog

Quote from: razrken on March 14, 2007, 09:44:51 am
Yep that Laetner shot against Kentucky gets replayed over and over...I am sick of that...Or even Tius Edney driving the length of the court against Mizzou...I just don't get it.

....and neither of those plays were for the national championship.

Frank and Swine

Quote from: mrcrowley on March 14, 2007, 10:53:35 am

we were pretty good in the 70's too. rember that guy holtz....78 orange bowl....we just couldnt beat texass

Yeah, I remember watching the game.  That was our moment of glory at the time, then what?  Back to middle of the pack as best I can remember.  Hatfield came on board and we had some good 9 win seasons and trips to the Cotton bowl.  However, we couldn't beat Texas, Miami and the other big name schools.  If we want to be recognized outside of this state as a perennial power, you have to win big consistently.  That was my point.

BigoBoys

Yep, we should bombard their emails with that point!

Frank and Swine

Quote from: IronHog on March 14, 2007, 12:51:07 pm

You are flat out wrong on the basketball program.  Few programs can match Arkansas' success on on the court.

http://daresler.net/info/top/basketball-programs/

Our football program is very average.  It should not be pathetic as it has been the past 15 years.

http://sportssay.beloblog.com/archives/2005/09/ut_cant_beat_ya.html

Thanks for the response and the link to top 100 BB schools as per Street & Smith.  This was done in 2005.  I would be curious to see where we would rank previous to 1990.  My guess is further down the list, much further, which points to my last paragraph.  Our winningest years were under Nolan and we were beginning to get the notoriety we crave.  We had down years after the 95 season, but Nolan had some good recruits on the way.  Then Nolan is released and a new unproven coach is brought in on the cheap and we haven't done anything since.  It's easy to overlook us.

RBLtoHOG

If I remember right... wasn't Dickie V a Nolan fan?
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

razorback3072

March 14, 2007, 10:04:24 pm #33 Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 10:07:37 pm by razorback3072
Quote from: zebra on March 14, 2007, 09:48:52 am
Could it be because we beat media darling Duke?

Ding, ding, ding.  We have a winner.  Even though we were ranked #1 almost the entire season, poor little ole Arkansas beat the mighty Duke.  You can bet if the roles were reversed, the shot would be getting all kinds of air time

I have both the AZ and Duke games on tape(they're actually my wife's, gotta love that woman).  The AZ game is still amazing to me because of the job Beck and McDaniel did in shutting down that "great" backcourt that was supposed to beat us. 
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

balhawg

I've wondered about this before.  The most likely reason for the snub is that one Mr. Packer was not a Nolan fan.

As I recall he said something like, "there's no way a Nolan Richardson coached team can beat a Mike Ksiveski (yeah, I know the spelling isn't right but ya'll get the point) in a championship game".  Not only was he proven wrong, Nolan was none to gracious about it.

This game is probably one of the best championship games of the modern era (underdog overcomes large second half deficit to win with clutch 3-pointer in last minute).  IMO the snub has more to do with Nolan than the Hogs.