Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's over start the search for a new basketball coach now

Started by forrest city joe, February 21, 2007, 09:33:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

We have to move quick on this because the 2008 recruiting class is a must. even a blind man can see that this was never going to work. Stan is not ever going to make it here. and i said that two years ago. open the freaking checkbook and get a bigtime coach in here. give Stan the news after the next 3 games that it's over. and here are the guys i want us to talk too.
1.Bill self. Kansas
2.Billy Gillispie
This has to happen soon.enough is enough.

HogFan1973

I am not sure we can hire Billy Gillispie away from Aggie land.

UAfan

Quote from: Air It Out Gus on February 21, 2007, 09:35:59 pm
I am not sure we can hire Billy Gillispie away from Aggie land.
I think Gillespie is definitely in Arkansas' range. 

elksnort

Hell, I don't even know Coach Ripley or Coach Larry Bray, but they could do better than Stan. I really bet they could!

forrest city joe

Bottom line,we have to do something big to fix this basketball program. these last five years can't stand without Stan getting fired. let's get it over with.

dotnet

This is crazy.  I understand the desire, but you're not going to be able to get those guys.  Its like saying, I'm tired of this, lets go and get Albert Puljos.  You can't just go out and get whoever you want.

We're not going to be able to hire either of those two guys away from their respective jobs.  The only one we really have a shot at is Bill Self, and that would only be if they lost in the 1st round again.  Do you really want him if he loses in the first round again?

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: dotnet on February 21, 2007, 09:40:58 pm
This is crazy.  I understand the desire, but you're not going to be able to get those guys.  Its like saying, I'm tired of this, lets go and get Albert Puljos.  You can't just go out and get whoever you want.

We're not going to be able to hire either of those two guys away from their respective jobs.  The only one we really have a shot at is Bill Self, and that would only be if they lost in the 1st round again.  Do you really want him if he loses in the first round again?

You know what?  It's mentality like this that is the reason we have Houston Nutt and Stan Heath.

"We're just Arkansas.......we can't hire those guys."

It's just a total BS mentality.  YES WE CAN hire those guys.  We just have to do what it takes money wise to do it.  Show a commitment to excellence for god sakes.

PigKahuna

forrest city joe

You may be right, and we may not be able to get either one of those guys. but you atleast give it a shot. because keeping Stan is not an option anymore.PERIOD!

KinkosHog

razorbrass

Listen, go down to the local YMCA and grab any kids league basketball coach and he/she will be able to get these guys to play harder than they are now.  Basketball at the Univ. of Ark. has become irrelevant.  Can we change the seating in the bud to allow baseball all year round?
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

hog caller

money talks a bull crap walks. if you ask them they will come. if you are afraid oine might say no then ask 2 big time coaches, or three ,or five of them, one will say yes. don't be afraid to ask.
it's the purse strings that have held us back. being afraid to loosen them up.

Newcoachplease

Every coach has his price...dont give me that he wouldnt leave nonsense.

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: KinkosHog on February 21, 2007, 09:45:21 pm
Gillespie is definitely a possibility.

Absolutely he is.

We are a school that has 6 final four appearances, 2 national title game appearances, and a national championship.  All but 2 of those final fours have been in fairly recent memory.

We have an outstanding facility in Bud Walton that has proven to be one of the toughest places to play in America.

We have a rabid fan base that has shown it will enthusiastically support basketball in huge numbers.

We are one of the top 15 or so winningest programs of all time.

Texas A&M can't even come close to matching ANY OF THOSE.

Texas native or not, be willing to pay Gillespie what he's worth and you absolutely can hire him.

UAfan

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on February 21, 2007, 09:43:01 pm

You know what?  It's mentality like this that is the reason we have Houston Nutt and Stan Heath.

It's just a total BS mentality.  YES WE CAN hire those guys.  We just have to do what it takes money wise to do it.  Show a commitment to excellence for god sakes.
I agree.  There is no reason that Arkansas shouldn't be in the upper echelon of college athletics.  We've got the money, facilities, and we're in the SEC.

lrar1974

BILL SELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He would come. He has learned, no matter how good you are, it's tough to replace a legend.

He comes here, he can replace Stan Heath. Get more money and be at a place he can still win it all!

Immensehog

No big time coach wants any part of this soap opera athletic department right now.
Life is short.  Act accordingly.

PigKahuna

Mark Few.  Gonzaga is down this year, now's the time.

mizzouman

There is no way these two will leave their schools.  Self dream job is Kansas.  If goes anywhere, and that's a BIG IF, it will be Oklahoma St.

Gillespie is a Texas man.  He won't leave A&M for Arkansas besides if anyone is looking at Gillespie, A&M would make him an offer he can't refuse.  In other words, he ain't leaving.

I would look at Mark Few.

ark8302

kuhog

Quote from: lrar1974 on February 21, 2007, 09:49:46 pm
BILL SELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He would come. He has learned, no matter how good you are, it's tough to replace a legend.

He comes here, he can replace Stan Heath. Get more money and be at a place he can still win it all!

There is no way Bill Self comes to Arkansas. What makes you think he gets more money? How can you assume he is worrying about replacing a legend? Yes, Bill Self did inquire about the vacant Arkansas position while he was at Illinois, but instead, he landed one of the top jobs in NCAA basketball.

razorbrock

Quote from: kuhog on February 21, 2007, 10:16:26 pm

There is no way Bill Self comes to Arkansas. What makes you think he gets more money? How can you assume he is worrying about replacing a legend? Yes, Bill Self did inquire about the vacant Arkansas position while he was at Illinois, but instead, he landed one of the top jobs in NCAA basketball.

Ark is one of the top jobs in NCAA basketball.  Not saying we can (or even want to) get Self--I just don't think Kansas is a better job than Ark.  Equal, but not better.

**I'm referring to the last 25-30 yrs.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." ~Winston Churchill

dotnet

Quote from: UAfan on February 21, 2007, 09:49:12 pm
Quote from: hogwildinhouston on February 21, 2007, 09:43:01 pm

I agree.  There is no reason that Arkansas shouldn't be in the upper echelon of college athletics.  We've got the money, facilities, and we're in the SEC.

Okay, I don't think my attitude is the problem.  I'm realistic.  It takes more than money.

Billy G. is in Texas where he wants to be at a place that has more money than Arkansas.  There is better recruiting places in Texas and they have shown that they will do what is necessary to upgrade facilities.  He is in a conference that is easier to make the tournament in too.  Any given year there are 6 gimmie wins in the big 12. 

Bill Self is the same, except they already have the facilities. 

Mark Few has turned down tons of people over the years.

I'm not saying don't go after them.  I'm not saying don't fire Stan.  What I am saying is don't fire him thinking you're going to get one of those guys because it is extremely unlikely that it happens.  Bigger and traditionally better programs with more money have tried and failed.  It would be illogical and unrational to assume that it would work for Arkansas. 

helmet

It come down to money folks. In my opinion Arkansas is a good or better job than Kansas. We are in a better conference have better facilities and as good of a fan base as Kansas. Bottom line is if we are committed to paying top dollar to get Gillespie or Self we will get them. The money will be huge 1.5 mil or better.

brodie_hawg

i think you can cross mark few off the list.  he said some pretty bad things about the UA years back when the nolan saga was going on.

lrar1974

How can you assume that he won't make more money at Arkansas? We certainly have more money than  Kansas. I know for a fact that Self has coveted the Arkansas job more than once. Even if he was at Illinois at the time, Arkansas is still a great place with tons of potential.

How do I know that he is having trouble replacing a legend? Because everyone does. Don't discount the viability of the Arkansas job.

Last time I checked, we have won a title since Kansas has.

tweakmyhamstrings

Stan stays for another year while our next coach gets another year of experience in the Big 12. 

rebelhogdog

How about the Butler or Southern Illinois coach, I don't recall their names but they have gotten those programs to national promenience, but I wouldn't mind having Mike Anderson either........

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: dotnet on February 21, 2007, 10:21:45 pm

Okay, I don't think my attitude is the problem.  I'm realistic.  It takes more than money.

Billy G. is in Texas where he wants to be at a place that has more money than Arkansas.  There is better recruiting places in Texas and they have shown that they will do what is necessary to upgrade facilities.  He is in a conference that is easier to make the tournament in too.  Any given year there are 6 gimmie wins in the big 12. 

Bill Self is the same, except they already have the facilities. 

Mark Few has turned down tons of people over the years.

I'm not saying don't go after them.  I'm not saying don't fire Stan.  What I am saying is don't fire him thinking you're going to get one of those guys because it is extremely unlikely that it happens.  Bigger and traditionally better programs with more money have tried and failed.  It would be illogical and unrational to assume that it would work for Arkansas. 

Defeatist can be confused with realistic.  It will be realistic once we've offered Self and Gillespie very competitive contracts and they turn us down.  Until then, offer them.  I'd also like to hear of examples of top programs who didn't hire who they wanted.  UNC got Williams, UL got Pitino when no one thought they could, etc. 

As for recruiting, basketball recruiting is national.  Heath has proven you can recruit from Chicago and Detroit to Arkansas.  He just can't coach them.  Gillespie being in Texas has nothing to do with recruiting.  Prior to Barnes at Texas, you have to go back to the Phi Slamma Jamma days to find an even remotely competitive college Bball program in Texas.  That great Texas talent left to play for real programs. 

As for facilitites, A&M can't even possibly spend enough to renovate the brand-new Reed Arena and make it comparable to Bud Walton.  They aren't going to bulldoze it.  Expanding it to make it comparable to BWA will cost ungodly money. Kansas has tradition, but their facilities are an absolute joke.

Mark Few can turn down all the jobs he wants.  The coach who actually built Gonzaga, Dan Monson, was recently fired by Minnesota.....so maybe Few knows he needs to stay where he is. 

ishankem

Is Pitino a real possibility?  at louisville, it seems he will always be second fiddle to UK. here, he could recruit like crazy, I believe, and he could possibly rule the sec again. surely, we could pay more than louisville could.  he would put us back where we belong very quickly, I think.  I just don't know if he would like living in NW ark.

Dugann

Hell ya joe you nailed it Galp or Self start burning the phones to their agents tonight IMO
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

94 Hawg

I'm excited about Arkansas basketball....

as soon as stan leaves
it will be fun to watch the tourney and listen to all the talk about coaches moving
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

tweakmyhamstrings

When DS gets home you will never have to worry about them playing hard again. ;)   When he gets thru with those boys they'll be more than happy to kick your ass and the zone will no longer be an enigma wrapped within a riddle.  Right Ark 8302?

Squeal

Quote from: razorbrock on February 21, 2007, 10:21:29 pm

Ark is one of the top jobs in NCAA basketball.  Not saying we can (or even want to) get Self--I just don't think Kansas is a better job than Ark.  Equal, but not better.

Surely you jest.......

Kansas is the equal of Arkansas over the last 25-30 years?

Wrong..........

tweakmyhamstrings

We've secured another NIT bid...gonna be sick....almost time to call the ... :puke:

ark30inf

Folks, if South Carolina can get Lou Holtz and Spurrier then we can get whoever the heck we want if we pay for it.  SOUTH CAROLINA.  Too small to be a nation, too big to be an insane asylum and all that.  COCKS for crying out loud.  If the COCKS can get a decent coach then Arkansas most certainly can.  Stop with the inferiority complex.

CoachHogT

You know you are a bad coach if the BOT fires you.........

lrar1974

Quote from: Squeal on February 21, 2007, 10:36:55 pm

Surely you jest.......

Wrong..........
Quote from: Squeal on February 21, 2007, 10:36:55 pm

Surely you jest.......

Wrong..........
It's closer than you may think. And we certainly have won a title since Kansas. And the Kansas team that won the title in 1986 was run off the Barnhill floor in 1985.

tweakmyhamstrings

The answer to our coaching problems used to be just a few miles away in Fort Smith. 

lrar1974

Quote from: tweakmyhamstrings on February 21, 2007, 10:45:40 pm
The answer to our coaching problems used to be just a few miles away in Fort Smith. 
No more darkhorses or experiments. Arkansas Basketball deserves a proven winner on the D1 level.

No less than that this time!

tweakmyhamstrings

Doc would have THIS team so aggressive their mothers would be ashamed of the way they would handle other teams.  He'll do it in the Big 12 eventually and he'll do it here if he gets the chance.  He'll feed em gun powder if that is what it takes. ;)

kuhog

Quote from: lrar1974 on February 21, 2007, 10:30:08 pm

How can you assume that he won't make more money at Arkansas? We certainly have more money than  Kansas. I know for a fact that Self has coveted the Arkansas job more than once. Even if he was at Illinois at the time, Arkansas is still a great place with tons of potential.

How do I know that he is having trouble replacing a legend? Because everyone does. Don't discount the viability of the Arkansas job.

Last time I checked, we have won a title since Kansas has.

Once again lrar1974, your delusional. Or maybe it's denial. Simply put, Arkansas is no longer the program you remember it to be. To put it mildly, it's a train wreck. It can, and will be repaired with the right coach. But no coach from an elite program is going to leave a well established program to rebuild another program.

dotnet

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on February 21, 2007, 10:32:25 pm
Defeatist can be confused with realistic.  It will be realistic once we've offered Self and Gillespie very competitive contracts and they turn us down.  Until then, offer them.  I'd also like to hear of examples of top programs who didn't hire who they wanted.  UNC got Williams, UL got Pitino when no one thought they could, etc. 

No, it won't be realistic then, it will be real then.  Everyone and I mean EVERYONE except for stupid Kansas fan thought UNC would get Williams.  Pitino didn't have a job and had lived in Kentucky for a while.  No one thought that was a big deal when they came away with him.  Those two examples don't make sense to me. 

Your recruiting thing falls through.  It is national, who has Heath gotten nationally?  He got someone from Michigan, but he lived in Michigan for years and had a relationship with the AAU coach.  The Chicago thing was only because no one had heard of Beverly and by the time anyone had, most of the top programs had filled their spots.  Who else have we recruited from?  Only places that are local (ie. Missouri (Hill) and Mississippi).  The one exception is Townes.  That doesn't count though because he had a relationship with Thompson at the time. 

BG is two hours from Houston and three from Dallas.  He will and already has gotten a lot of talent from those areas. 

I'm not saying don't go after them.  What I am saying, is if the decision maker(s) fired Heath expecting one of the three named to come to Arkansas, then they would be making an unresponsible decision. 

tweakmyhamstrings

Seriously...his teams get after it defensively.  When he was here they were known for being aggressive and competitive with a killer instinct.  He built Westark (the JC that Sonny came thru - although he never coached Sonny there).

edt

Gillespie is the one we need to make a serious run at. A&M will never be a basketball school and deep down Billy knows it. Offer the right money he comes in a heartbeat.

kuhog

It's closer than you may think. And we certainly have won a title since Kansas. And the Kansas team that won the title in 1986 was run off the Barnhill floor in 1985.
[/quote]

Actually, the Kansas team that won the championship was in 1988.

tweakmyhamstrings

Folks...let's open our hearts and minds and let Doc come home! :)   For Pete's sake call the DOC!!!  This team is going into NIT seizures ... call the DOC! :P

lumphog