Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here is the only thing that I does not make any sense...why would JC

Started by titan12071973, April 01, 2007, 10:49:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

titan12071973

flirt with Arkansas just to get a raise AFTER signing a 1 years extension? Even considering his history I don't think he would try and pull that one off. It seems that until he was able to obtain information that Arkansas would listen and respond to his interest in the job, he was totally content to stay where he was. He does have a good thing going, but what could he do at Arkansas? This guy has been a big fish in a small pond the two places he has coached in college. Arkansas and the SEC, other than the big 5 jobs, it doesn't get much bigger than that. On this one I am going to use logic and wait till I hear something from his mouth from more than one source. :razorback: I think we all should. This is not the BCG situation. :razorback:

HeathWimp

Just trying to use us big dummies as leverage for more money from Memphis.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

ark30inf

It's possible that he saw the BCG situation and decided to pile on.  If we ask him....and he turns us down....he will be able to go to recruits and say...."I turned them down, you should too".

He has done that before by no longer scheduling us (so we don't get media attention there) and saying we are "unworthy" (to decrease our repuation in Memphis).

Memphis has been a fertile recruiting ground for UA.  Calipari has been protecting his own turf.  This may or may not be another move like that.

ark30inf

Quote from: HeathWimp on April 01, 2007, 10:51:57 am

Memphis is not Texas A&M.  The money leverage argument does not apply as much to them.  If we got in a bidding war with A&M we lose.  If we got in a bidding war with Memphis, we win.

arklahoman36

Quote from: titan12071973 on April 01, 2007, 10:49:56 am
flirt with Arkansas just to get a raise AFTER signing a 1 years extension? Even considering his history I don't think he would try and pull that one off. It seems that until he was able to obtain information that Arkansas would listen and respond to his interest in the job, he was totally content to stay where he was. He does have a good thing going, but what could he do at Arkansas? This guy has been a big fish in a small pond the two places he has coached in college. Arkansas and the SEC, other than the big 5 jobs, it doesn't get much bigger than that. On this one I am going to use logic and wait till I hear something from his mouth from more than one source. :razorback: I think we all should. This is not the BCG situation. :razorback:

I don't know if the information was correct, but on one of the Memphis boards, they said while he agreed to the two-year extension -- he hasn't actually signed it yet. Like I say, don't know if that was correct or not. But if it is, it would give some credence to the leverage argument.

3kgthog

Calipari hasn't actually SIGNED his one year extension has he? Isn't it still sitting on his desk?

arklahoman36

Quote from: ark30inf on April 01, 2007, 10:54:53 am

Memphis is not Texas A&M.  The money leverage argument does not apply as much to them.  If we got in a bidding war with A&M we lose.  If we got in a bidding war with Memphis, we win.

But if he prefers Memphis, it doesn't necessarily mean he's expecting more than what Arkansas offers, just more than what he's getting from Memphis right now.

moses_007

How do we know Memphis won't fork out $2.5 million themselves to keep Coach C?  We don't know that guys.  I doubt Memphis is as financially bad off as Mississippi State. :razorback:

discombobulationist

I just ran across this article where JC declined the Missouri job in '99 after being fired by the Nets. It says he was visiting his in-laws in Osceola when he made the decision. Anybody know which Osceola his in-laws live in?
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/news/1999/04/06/calipari_missouri/

Apparently Missouri was going to interview Bill Self from Tulsa afterward. I guess he turned them down too.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

ark30inf

Quote from: arklahoman36 on April 01, 2007, 10:58:41 am

But if he prefers Memphis, it doesn't necessarily mean he's expecting more than what Arkansas offers, just more than what he's getting from Memphis right now.

I don't presume to know his, or Memphis's mind.  But my impression of Calipari is that its not about a few hundred thousand dollars out of millions.  His is more about media attention and being one of the top coaches, and moving toward that "greatest coach of all time" goal.  And we can admit that no matter what, Memphis is not Texas A&M.

I see it two ways.
1) He is piling on after BCG.  To knock us down further, give recruiting ammo, get his name in the media as "desirable".  Arkansas IS a big recruiting competitor on his home turf.  One of the biggest.  Any damage to a foolish-looking UA is good for the Memphis program.  It may be about that, and not money.
2) He really is interested in ditching CUSA while he is hot and moving from a mid-major conference and getting on tv more.  The SEC West is ripe for the plucking.  This is not like taking a job at NC State.  This would be taking a job with a team with a lot of unfocused talent in a division that sucks.  He could really rip through the SEC West if he put his mind to it.

So I don't think its about money.....but I am not sure which "ego" element is the key factor here.  Given his past comments about UA and not scheduling us (smart moves) I am leaning toward the idea that he is piling on after BCG.

MTPAWR

Calipari is a marketing major. He knows how to keep his name out front and center during the final four hype. He does this every year. From this point on Cal will be able to look recruits and their families in the eye, and tell them he turned down offers from the SEC and the ACC to coach at Memphis. Cal will then use his personal  decision making process to explain to the recruits why they should then come to Memphis. Cal works the national media better than any coach in America today. He may be the best recruiter in all of America.

Hogustus Caesar

It was reported that JC did have an extension sitting on his desk and that it is unsigned. Other media outlets have reported that JC was to sign after returning from the final 4. This much we know to be true about the contract at Memphis.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

ark30inf

Quote from: MTPAWR on April 01, 2007, 11:17:52 am
Calipari is a marketing major. He knows how to keep his name out front and center during the final four hype. He does this every year. From this point on Cal will be able to look recruits and their families in the eye, and tell them he turned down offes from the SEC and the ACC to coach at Memphis. Cal will then use his personal  decision making process to explain to the recruits why they should come to Memphis. Cal works the national media better than any coach in America today.

I think you may be right that its about knocking one of his biggest recruiting competitors (us) down a notch.  The only way it might not be, is if he is tired of not getting on tv playing CUSA teams and getting no respect during the year.  I don't think its money, its one of those two.

OrvilleRedenporker

Here's a pretty cool coaching bio on Calipari from Wikipedia.....

In his first 15 seasons as a collegiate head coach, Calipari's record is 374-134 (.736). His record in the month of March is 75-29 (.721). His record in the NCAA tournament is 18-9 (.667) and in the NIT is 15-5 (.750). He has made nine NCAA tournaments, the Sweet Sixteen five times, the Elite Eight four times, and the Final Four one time. He has made five NITs, with one championship at Memphis in 2002. He is one of only three coaches in NCAA Division I history to direct two different schools to a number one seed in the NCAA Tournament; Roy Williams and Bill Self are the others.
Through 15 collegiate seasons, only North Carolina coach Roy Williams has won more games than Calipari. He hit the 300-win mark in February of 2005 when his Tigers upset No. 9 Louisville 85-68 in Freedom Hall.

SOLID.

hogblade

Calipari probably just hates Arkansas that he wants mess with us, and tease us. Is he that diabolical?

ark30inf

Quote from: hogblade on April 01, 2007, 12:08:52 pm
Calipari probably just hates Arkansas that he wants mess with us, and tease us. Is he that diabolical?

It would have nothing to do with hating us, it would have to do with protecting his recruiting turf in Memphis against a major competitor.  Arkansans have to take everything as a "they hate us" situation which is silly.     

MtownTiger

Quote from: ark30inf on April 01, 2007, 11:21:00 am
Calipari is a marketing major. He knows how to keep his name out front and center during the final four hype. He does this every year. From this point on Cal will be able to look recruits and their families in the eye, and tell them he turned down offes from the SEC and the ACC to coach at Memphis. Cal will then use his personal  decision making process to explain to the recruits why they should come to Memphis. Cal works the national media better than any coach in America today.

I think you may be right that its about knocking one of his biggest recruiting competitors (us) down a notch.  The only way it might not be, is if he is tired of not getting on tv playing CUSA teams and getting no respect during the year.  I don't think its money, its one of those two.

Sorry, but you really aren't one of our recruiting competitors.
Most of our recruits didn't list Arkansas as an interest, and right now we've given out most of our scholarships.
Check out our recruits coming in:
Derrick Rose
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w6G_RRGHzfA
Jeff Robinson
http://www.hssmtv.com/HSSMTV%20Template/With_FL/HTML/Players%202007%20Index.html  (click his name)
and S. Taggert-- a stud transfer from Iowa St. who will be eligible to play next year.

Not to mention the identical 6'9 Morris twins from Philadelphia who have committed for 2008.

5 years ago, we did compete with you for recruits, but since we don't rely on Memphis recruits much anymore,  there's really not any competition.

mapdude

Wrong...talk facts, not opinions.  Memphis can and will go north of $3MM if they have to in order to keep Cal.  That is a fact...

mapdude

Quote from: arklahoman36 on April 01, 2007, 10:55:48 am
Quote from: titan12071973 on April 01, 2007, 10:49:56 am

I don't know if the information was correct, but on one of the Memphis boards, they said while he agreed to the two-year extension -- he hasn't actually signed it yet. Like I say, don't know if that was correct or not. But if it is, it would give some credence to the leverage argument.

Once again, post only facts....it was a one year extension.

mapdude

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 01, 2007, 10:56:14 am
Calipari hasn't actually SIGNED his one year extension has he? Isn't it still sitting on his desk?

He's at the friggin Final Four!!!!!!  You think he is gonna fly back just to sign a contract that can wait till he gets back????

ark30inf

Quote from: mapdude on April 01, 2007, 12:48:30 pm

Wrong...talk facts, not opinions.  Memphis can and will go north of $3MM if they have to in order to keep Cal.  That is a fact...

Well, thats fine.  I do not mind them giving Calipari that money instead of doing other things with it.  If thats the case then it was good to do this.  They are still not A&M.  A&M could pay $3 without blinking....Memphis will definitely have to scrape hard.

mapdude

Your kidding, right?  Biggest recruiting competitors???  BWAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHA!!!

Tired of not getting on TV??? Your kidding, right?????

ark30inf

Quote from: MtownTiger on April 01, 2007, 12:39:13 pm

Sorry, but you really aren't one of our recruiting competitors.
Most of our recruits didn't list Arkansas as an interest, and right now we've given out most of our scholarships.
Check out our recruits coming in:
Derrick Rose
http://youtube.com/watch?v=w6G_RRGHzfA
Jeff Robinson
http://www.hssmtv.com/HSSMTV%20Template/With_FL/HTML/Players%202007%20Index.html  (click his name)
and S. Taggert-- a stud transfer from Iowa St. who will be eligible to play next year.

Not to mention the identical 6'9 Morris twins from Philadelphia who have committed for 2008.

5 years ago, we did compete with you for recruits, but since we don't rely on Memphis recruits much anymore,  there's really not any competition.

We did recruit in Memphis quite a bit and could do so again.  Its understandable that you want to minimize our program, but the fact is that we are not Rhodes College in basketball and have been an irritating recruiting competition to Memphis in the past.  That is exactly why Memphis dropped us from the schedule and attempted to dismiss us as unworthy....not because they just have some hate for us.

ark30inf

Quote from: mapdude on April 01, 2007, 12:53:41 pm

Your kidding, right?  Biggest recruiting competitors???  BWAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHA!!!

Tired of not getting on TV??? Your kidding, right?????

The big question all year was "is Memphis for real?"....."is Memphis really for real?". Memphis is only where it is do to coaching skill, not due to strength or repuation of program as a whole. So don't get the big head about the Memphis program.  You are not Kentucky.

HAM ELLIOT

The Memphis guys are cracking me up. They have two decent years, and all the sudden they are then National Power in basketball.  Tradition, facilities, recruits.  ha ha  Just a couple of years ago, no one even knew that Memphis had a team.

discombobulationist

If this is indeed a fact, can you please list your source? Are you personally going to pony up the 3 mil?
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

phoggy

Surely Cal didn't contact us in order to get a raise from UM.
Because of the climate of political correctness now pervading America, those of us in Arkansas will no longer be referred to as HILLBILLIES. We ask that you now refer to us as OZARK-AMERICANS.Thank you!....Now if you'll excuse me, I got possums to fry.

ark30inf

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on April 01, 2007, 12:57:55 pm
The Memphis guys are cracking me up. They have two decent years, and all the sudden they are then National Power in basketball.  Tradition, facilities, recruits.  ha ha  Just a couple of years ago, no one even knew that Memphis had a team.
Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on April 01, 2007, 12:57:55 pm

Memphis is a province in Volunteer country.  Their support is the metro area and they are always going to have trouble with that.  They are an outpost within SEC territory.  Arkansas to the West, Ole Miss and Miss State to the South, Tennessee to the East, Kentucky to the North.  Lots of recruiting pressure there.  They are doing pretty good right now protecting their own turf and branching out.  But its always going to be a problem in establishing some sort of major program.  Being smack dab in the middle of SEC country is tough.

tusksincolorado

MEMPHIS! Excuse me, it is Memphis State, or better yet, MEMPHIS / TIGER HIGH!!!!!!! Second rate, always has been, always will be! Just go slink back over to your side of the river, we will let you know when your coach becomes our coach! Oh, by the way, the SEC doesn't need you!   :razorback:
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

ark30inf

Quote from: phoggy on April 01, 2007, 01:00:18 pm
Surely Cal didn't contact us in order to get a raise from UM.

He either did it to get a job in a higher profile conference.....or he did it to screw us over in recruiting with it if he needs to.  Money has little to do with it IMO.  We might get screwed, and we might get a coach.....but either way we had to make the effort and take the risk.  If he's messing with us its nothing to get bent out of shape about.

Razorbacking02

This whole arguement about JC milking Arkansas for more money is bogus to me. I understood the case BG, because TXAM has more money then Arkansas. However in this situation, Arkansas has more money then Memphis. If he is playing both sides for "money", then Arkansas obviously is going to win because a) they have deeper pockets and b) are willing to go deep in order to "save face" with their fan base and peers.

Now don't get what I am saying wrong. JC may truely not be interested in the UA job. He may really enjoy coaching Memphis and feel as though he could stay there until possibly an elite job opens up. There are other reasons other then money, however if money is his driving force, my money is that early next week he will be at a press conference in Fayetville calling the hogs.

ark30inf

LunaticRed

missjtiger

Why is it so hard to believe that your AD asked for permission to talk to Cal (DOES NOT MEAN THAT CAL IS INTERESTED) and Cal said he wasn't interested ? I know you guys/gals don't have any respect for Memphis and really who the heck cares if you do or don't but Cal happens to be content in Memphis. We will have a damn good team next year and probably for the next couple of years. Cal has NOT finished what he came to do in Memphis yet. Good luck in your search.

We DO have top-notch facilities
We DO pay him top-dollar
We DO have Fed-Ex and some big $ boosters
We DO have top 10 attendances year after year

Our conference sucks but we do manage to play a pretty tough OOC schedule. Memphis loves Cal and Cal loves Memphis. He would NOT be a good fit in Ark., believe me when I say this.

rude1

Quote from: ark30inf on April 01, 2007, 12:23:20 pm

It would have nothing to do with hating us, it would have to do with protecting his recruiting turf in Memphis against a major competitor.  Arkansans have to take everything as a "they hate us" situation which is silly.     
I don't get where everyone gets this, "Calipari wants to use this to further his recruiting efforts against us", idea. We quit getting players out of Memphis BEFORE Calipari got there. That pipeline dried up while Nolan was still coaching. Wasn't the last kid we got from there that Marlon Townes kid, who ended up transferring after he and Reid got busted smoking pot? Out recruiting us would be the last thing Calipari has to concern himself about.

Killean

Quote from: rude1 on April 01, 2007, 01:21:16 pm

I don't get where everyone gets this, "Calipari wants to use this to further his recruiting efforts against us", idea. We quit getting players out of Memphis BEFORE Calipari got there. That pipeline dried up while Nolan was still coaching. Wasn't the last kid we got from there that Marlon Townes kid, who ended up transferring after he and Reid got busted smoking pot? Out recruiting us would be the last thing Calipari has to concern himself about.

Not to mention that if Calipari did this for that reason, Broyles would use every connection and favor he had to bury him.  There's no way Calipari would survive that.  There's no way a non-major program could survive it.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

ark30inf

Do you believe that we are not a threat to recruit in Memphis?  When we get a new coach could he recruit in Memphis?  If he did would we be attractive again to Memphis recruits?  Why did Memphis stop scheduling us?  Its not because they "hate" us.  Its because they did not want us getting additional exposure in their recruiting base.  Just because Heath did not recruit there does not mean that Arkansas will not be recruiting there and is not a perceived competitor.

ark30inf

Quote from: Killean on April 01, 2007, 01:22:31 pm

Not to mention that if Calipari did this for that reason, Broyles would use every connection and favor he had to bury him.  There's no way Calipari would survive that.  There's no way a non-major program could survive it.

I am not sure that Broyles is in any position to destroy any program except one.

U.P. HOGG

You sir, are a moron.  They would NEVER, I repeat never go above 3 million.  Showing your true Memphis education.  BWHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!