Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Trumain Carroll is the program’s new head strength and conditioning coach.

Started by BR, January 09, 2018, 10:34:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

WaltonCollege

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: BadHog on January 09, 2018, 01:27:29 pm
So we are SMU North now. OK.

I think it's one of the drawbacks of hiring a guy that cut his teeth and had a fairly lengthy career in HS.  His coaching network is not as deep as a guy that say started out as a GA, moved around and worked with numerous programs and coaches on his way up the ladder.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Not being critical but I do hope that this staff realizes and recognizes what it takes to compete in the SEC west. I only say this because I really don't think that CBB, and this last group ever fully grasped that.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Shorttimer

I don't know if he's any good, but I want a S&C coach that looks like he wants to kick your ass.  Mission accomplished.

311Hog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 09, 2018, 01:31:41 pm
I think it's one of the drawbacks of hiring a guy that cut his teeth and had a fairly lengthy career in HS.  His coaching network is not as deep as a guy that say started out as a GA, moved around and worked with numerous programs and coaches on his way up the ladder.

maybe not but i bet these guys are hungry as hell.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: BOAR_N2BWILD on January 09, 2018, 01:38:17 pm
Not being critical but I do hope that this staff realizes and recognizes what it takes to compete in the SEC west. I only say this because I really don't think that CBB, and this last group ever fully grasped that.
I'm not sure any coach understands this until they actually get there.

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 09, 2018, 01:44:06 pm
I'm not sure any coach understands this until they actually get there.
Chavis understands as well as anyone, and I'm sure he will share the message.

AlmaHog2011

Whatever...BS there are tons of college coaches who aren't near the coaches that many in high school are.
Gus says how you like me now?

AlmaHog2011

And I might add I love the new strength and conditioning coach.

Under Herb we got pushed around way too much.

SemperHawg

I understand this thought process.  The main reason I am going to disagree is Chavis.  I think what you will see out of CCM is similar to what you saw with Petrino.  CCM is going to be running everything offensively and this teams identity will reside on that side of the ball like it or not.  For S&C coach he would rather have a guy that he is familiar with and knows EXACTLY what the identity and philosophy of the team should be.  Hiring Chavis and hopefully having his mixed networks of coaches from over the years on that side of the ball tells me CCM know enough to stay our of that.  Petrino had a bunch of dudes from smalls schools and nowhere but it works for him because he was/is running the show and just needs to have people around him that understand the direction.  I think this is why S&C and all the offensive coaches are going to look "SMU North" as you put it. 

racinghog

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on January 09, 2018, 02:08:29 pm
Whatever...BS there are tons of college coaches who aren't near the coaches that many in high school are.
That is not what he said.. He didn't say he was a bad coach, only that his group of coaches or network is in HS. If you notice he brought 3 GA with him to SMU and now he has brought them to UA.

311Hog

Quote from: racinghog on January 09, 2018, 02:15:36 pm
That is not what he said.. He didn't say he was a bad coach, only that his group of coaches or network is in HS. If you notice he brought 3 GA with him to SMU and now he has brought them to UA.

those GA's came to SMU from Clemson so is that now a bad thing?

Dwight_K_Shrute

I guess you read something into my post about coaching ability.   There was nothing there about that.  All I did was point out that a person that has worked his entire career in the college game will know and have networked with more college coaches.  Morris's college career has been relatively short so his network isn't as vast or deep as someone that had been coaching college for 20 to 25 years.  So of course when he is putting together a staff his network or who he knows or is comfortable with isn't as broad.  That's just common sense and probably a reason his staff will be young and SMU heavy.  That may be a good thing if they are young and hungry, but the reach of a coach's network can be seen as a drawback when putting together as staff.  Doens't mean the staff won't succeed just means he is drawing from a smaller pool of talent.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

secfan30

This is why the Chavis hire was a smart hire.

redeye

I think he's put together a nice staff already, even though I agree with that.  I bet after he's proven himself a little here, that he'll have no trouble finding top assistants, because he seems well liked and respected.

311Hog

Quote from: redeye on January 09, 2018, 02:22:21 pm
I think he's put together a nice staff already, even though I agree with that.  I bet after he's proven himself a little here, that he'll have no trouble finding top assistants, because he seems well liked and respected.

i am sure he is of the mind of if it isn't broke don't fix it. it isn't like he hired several former HS coaches to come here, he brought up and coming coaches who were with him at Clemson, came to SMU and now come here to install and run his offense.  It wouldn't make sense to go hire "big names" and piece them into the offensive puzzle when he already has it done.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Hmm, I would say that CBB fully grasped it, panicked, then failed to recruit safeties and LBs. 

BroyledNutts

I think they think they know, but outside of Chavis, and maybe Caldwell, I seriously doubt they do ... that's why this first year will be a wash, as they get their collective baptism by fire.

I hope Mr. Carroll will have a positive impact, particularly on the O and D lines. I'd like to see hard chiseled men there, strong and mean, not puss gutted guys waddling to the line and sucking air by halftime.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Ya, we should have hired _____ as s/c coordinator.  Haha, whatever dude.  It's all about having a coaching staff on the same page and moving in the same direction. 

hogginbama

Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 09, 2018, 02:28:30 pm
I think they think they know, but outside of Chavis, and maybe Caldwell, I seriously doubt they do ... that's why this first year will be a wash, as they get their collective baptism by fire.

I hope Mr. Carroll will have a positive impact, particularly on the O and D lines. I'd like to see hard chiseled men there, strong and mean, not puss gutted guys waddling to the line and sucking air by halftime.

If the first year is a wash with every new hire, why do we hold it against them 5 yrs down the road when we are firing them? Watch it happen with this guy, you say year 1 is a wash while they get adjusted, but 5 yrs from now everyone on Hogville will hold year 1 against him as if that was the start of the downfall.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

DeltaBoy

I wish him all the best I hope these young Coaches come in with chips on their shoulders and out work the rest of our opponents staffs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GuvHog

After beating both Bama and Georgia in regular season play then screwing it up so bad that he and his team were sitting at home Monday night watching those 2 teams play for the national championship, Gus needs to keep his mouth shut. The guy is a joke.

The Hog football staff however, is FAR from being a joke.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 09, 2018, 02:37:54 pm
I wish him all the best I hope these young Coaches come in with chips on their shoulders and out work the rest of our opponents staffs.

You are a good soul....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

pghawg1

He worked as an assistant at Okie State,isnt that strength  coach in the top 5 in the nation? If he learned from him we will be ok.

parallaxpig

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 09, 2018, 02:26:21 pm
Hmm, I would say that CBB fully grasped it, panicked, then failed to recruit safeties and LBs.

If he had fully grasped it he wouldn't have screwed up recruiting in Texas right out of the gate...........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

opineonswine

On the plus side no chemistry issues.  They know each other and what to expect.  Carry over/continuity.  A lot to be said for that.  Plus they are all fairly young, aggressive and hungry.  I like it.

Boarmonger

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 09, 2018, 02:17:25 pm
I guess you read something into my post about coaching ability.   There was nothing there about that.  All I did was point out that a person that has worked his entire career in the college game will know and have networked with more college coaches.  Morris's college career has been relatively short so his network isn't as vast or deep as someone that had been coaching college for 20 to 25 years.  So of course when he is putting together a staff his network or who he knows or is comfortable with isn't as broad.  That's just common sense and probably a reason his staff will be young and SMU heavy.  That may be a good thing if they are young and hungry, but the reach of a coach's network can be seen as a drawback when putting together as staff.  Doens't mean the staff won't succeed just means he is drawing from a smaller pool of talent.

You're probably correct.  I would think if a coach has D1 type players in HS, as CCM did, he'd get to know a LOT of D1 coaches.  I have no idea how one would equate to the other.

theFlyingHog

WaltonCollege

Quote from: theFlyingHog on January 09, 2018, 03:06:05 pm
Does this mean we aren't feeding whiskey to the plants anymore?

The plants got accustomed to Crowne, now they gotta go back to Jim Bean

ricepig

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: opineonswine on January 09, 2018, 03:01:02 pm
On the plus side no chemistry issues.  They know each other and what to expect.  Carry over/continuity.  A lot to be said for that.  Plus they are all fairly young, aggressive and hungry.  I like it.

I agree with this as well.  Looking back at say when Bob Stoops put his first staff together at OU, he was pretty young at the time and had a relatively young staff with many guys just getting started or just recently moved up to FBS level ball.  Everything has pros and cons reasons for success and failure.  Many times the tipping point is the HC himself.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: pghawg1 on January 09, 2018, 02:50:10 pm
He worked as an assistant at Okie State,isnt that strength  coach in the top 5 in the nation? If he learned from him we will be ok.
Good info to know. Thanks
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

navyhog24

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 09, 2018, 02:26:21 pm

As well as OL and DL

Flrazrback

Coach Carroll is Awesome. Expect our players that Herb fattened up to become fast, lean and strong again. No more foolish foot injuries.

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

Al Boarland

SMU was clearly bigger, faster, stronger than anyone they played.  I would put them up there with the likes of Bama and UGA.

lakecityhog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 09, 2018, 02:39:15 pm
After beating both Bama and Georgia in regular season play then screwing it up so bad that he and his team were sitting at home Monday night watching those 2 teams play for the national championship, Gus needs to keep his mouth shut. The guy is a joke.

The Hog football staff however, is FAR from being a joke.

We should all wish to have a coach that beats Bama AND Georgia in the same season!!!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 09, 2018, 03:39:28 pm
SMU was clearly bigger, faster, stronger than anyone they played.  I would put them up there with the likes of Bama and UGA.
How many times a day do you shite in your britches?

CFB_Fanatic

Lol. BUT THE RECRUITING THO!!!...

Wild Bill Hog

Well, we did have a bigger coach than Bama and UGA combined.  How did that work for you?

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Flrazrback on January 09, 2018, 03:36:19 pm
Coach Carroll is Awesome. Expect our players that Herb fattened up to become fast, lean and strong again. No more foolish foot injuries.

What we really need to know is will the freaks still come out at night or won't they?

rzrbk4life

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 09, 2018, 04:06:03 pm
What we really need to know is will the freaks still come out at night or won't they?

Beat me to it. Is this guy a believer in one legged squats??
Let's call those hogs!!!!

d3maybe

Quote from: 311Hog on January 09, 2018, 02:24:05 pm
i am sure he is of the mind of if it isn't broke don't fix it. it isn't like he hired several former HS coaches to come here, he brought up and coming coaches who were with him at Clemson, came to SMU and now come here to install and run his offense.  It wouldn't make sense to go hire "big names" and piece them into the offensive puzzle when he already has it done.

I completely agree here... too many cooks in the kitchen fricks everything up... I'll take talented coaches that are 110% on board with CCM and "knows" what direction he is headed in... I would say its similar to when Paul was calling plays for Bobby... they were 100% on the same page and it showed.

oldhawg

Quote from: hogginbama on January 09, 2018, 02:37:51 pm
If the first year is a wash with every new hire, why do we hold it against them 5 yrs down the road when we are firing them? Watch it happen with this guy, you say year 1 is a wash while they get adjusted, but 5 yrs from now everyone on Hogville will hold year 1 against him as if that was the start of the downfall.

First year does not influence longevity.

Lou Holtz - 11-1 his first year epic Orange Bowl win, had as legitimate claim to #1 ranking as anyone, forced to resign after seven years.

Ken Hatfield - 3 ten win seasons, 2 nine win seasons, 1 seven win season in six years, forced out by fan dissatisfaction and overbearing AD.

jgphillips3

Essentially, looking at what Morris has done, he built a staff at SMU to implement and refine the offensive ideas he developed at Clemson.  They understand EXACTLY what he wants so he brought them with him and that will be a relatively seamless process.  On the defensive side of the ball, he seems to have learned from his time at Clemson.  It looks as if he knew that defense is what will define the success or failure of his tenure at Arkansas and he loaded up on solid, salty, experienced defensive coaches who understand what it takes to compete in this league and he will leave them alone to do what they need to do.  The strength and conditioning coach will get instructions from Morris of course, but also from each position coach on exactly what they want and need from their unit.  Unlike the hodge podge mess that was the last staff, this seems to be a carefully thought out and composed staff that will be on a mission.  Sure, we all wanted Venables but as staffs go, this one on the defensive side looks solid and, if Morris can replicate what he has done at every other stop on offense, we will be some happy fans.

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: Shorttimer on January 09, 2018, 01:38:55 pm
I don't know if he's any good, but I want a S&C coach that looks like he wants to kick your ass.  Mission accomplished.

We need a good ole fashioned Marine Drill Sergeant type that eats nails, kicks ass and takes names.  A Navy Seal instructor would work too.  Ring the Bell if you can't handle it.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"