Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC is not better, just average

Started by 3of5-2, January 24, 2018, 09:49:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

3of5-2

I am not buying this myth that the SEC is better this year. ALL of these teams can lose on any given night. Notice I didn't say win on any given night. There is not one dominant team in the SEC this year. From top to bottom, they are closer in ability than in most years. I think that gives Arkansas an advantage in the SECT. Even though we struggle at times, a lot, it could pay off at the end of conference play. As long as we get our legs back after each of these games, I think it helps us more than any other team in the tournament.

ShadowHawg

popcornhog

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 24, 2018, 09:49:22 pm
I am not buying this myth that the SEC is better this year. ALL of these teams can lose on any given night. Notice I didn't say win on any given night. There is not one dominant team in the SEC this year. From top to bottom, they are closer in ability than in most years. I think that gives Arkansas an advantage in the SECT. Even though we struggle at times, a lot, it could pay off at the end of conference play. As long as we get our legs back after each of these games, I think it helps us more than any other team in the tournament.

Lol
WPS

TomasPistola

I'm not buying anything from a poster than can't even set an avatar in his profile. See? I can post stupid stuff too!
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

3of5-2

Quote from: TomasPistola on January 24, 2018, 09:54:56 pm
I'm not buying anything from a poster than can't even set an avatar in his profile. See? I can post stupid stuff too!
With an ugly girlfriend like yours, I wouldn't.

BannerMountainMan

Guess we will find out in 3 days ole boy
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Breems

But average is better.

There's only 1, maybe 2 teams in the traditional SEC cellar. AU and FL are pretty good. The rest of us have all upped our game a bit which has left the middle wide open. UK was even nice enough to join us in the middle this year.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

stan the man

Take a look at Auburn slaughter of Missouri. They are definitely best team in conference

3of5-2

Quote from: Breems on January 24, 2018, 10:01:48 pm
But average is better.

There's only 1, maybe 2 teams in the traditional SEC cellar. AU and FL are pretty good. The rest of us have all upped our game a bit which has left the middle wide open. UK was even nice enough to join us in the middle this year.
Yep, glad see Cal's Gals humbled a bit, just think if we make it to the championship game, there's a pretty good chance we get the automatic bid anyway.

Cinco de Hogo

So my question would be how many teams fit into your scenario and where do we rank among those teams?  Also how many team rank in your "could win any night"?   And then you need to figure out how many teams we couldn't beat on any given night.  Probably a couple more of these scenarios and you will be able to tell us our record at years end, what our seed will be in the tournament, if we will meet UNC again.  Ha that's what I want to know, will we meet UNC again and at what level!   

3of5-2

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 24, 2018, 10:15:42 pm
So my question would be how many teams fit into your scenario and where do we rank among those teams?  Also how many team rank in your "could win any night"?   And then you need to figure out how many teams we couldn't beat on any given night.  Probably a couple more of these scenarios and you will be able to tell us our record at years end, what our seed will be in the tournament, if we will meet UNC again.  Ha that's what I want to know, will we meet UNC again and at what level!
I would say all the teams that make the SECt, would fit that scenario. Not that we have gotten a lot better, but I'm not sure UNC has gotten ANY better, if not worse. It sounds like you want another shot at them.

Pig Tymer

SEC is much better than in previous years. Last year was a step in right direction, but the conference was in a downward spiral over the last decade. Sports analysts are projecting 7-8 teams to make the tournament; it's previously been UK and 2-3 others. At this point, it doesn't look like there's a title contender, but at least half of the conference is slightly less interested in Spring football.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Pig Tymer on January 24, 2018, 10:25:21 pm
SEC is much better than in previous years. Last year was a step in right direction, but the conference was in a downward spiral over the last decade. Sports analysts are projecting 7-8 teams to make the tournament; it's previously been UK and 2-3 others. At this point, it doesn't look like there's a title contender, but at least half of the conference is slightly less interested in Spring football.

I do not see us getting over 6 teams in the NCAAT but we will see.   So many good teams out there.  I would be shocked if a SEC team with a losing SEC record gets in.

JayHog

A losing SEC record? Lol. First, I don't think we'll have a losing SEC record.
We have several top 50 rpi wins and we'll get another one when Kentucky comes to Bud Walton Arena.

We are also currently #22 in the rpi rankings. Teams with Rpi's in the 20's or 30's don't get left out.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: JayHog on January 24, 2018, 10:44:48 pm
A losing SEC record? Lol. First, I don't think we'll have a losing SEC record.
We have several top 50 rpi wins and we'll get another one when Kentucky comes to Bud Walton Arena.

We are also currently #22 in the rpi rankings. Teams with Rpi's in the 20's or 30's don't get left out.
3 top 50's and 7 top 100's. That's a recipe for success.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Kevin

the top of the league is not elite, and the bottom is not awful.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: Breems on January 24, 2018, 10:01:48 pm
But average is better.

While the SEC may be better in the middle and at the bottom, there is not one team you look at and say Oh yea, they are a final 4 team or a elite 8 team or maybe even a sweet 16 team. Depending on which poll you look at, the league only has 3 top 25 teams, all in the 20 range, and only 1 in " others receiving votes" in one poll ( Ky ) and 2 ( KY and Bama ) in the other of the 2 major polls.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on January 25, 2018, 08:27:13 am
While the SEC may be better in the middle and at the bottom, there is not one team you look at and say Oh yea, they are a final 4 team or a elite 8 team or maybe even a sweet 16 team. Depending on which poll you look at, the league only has 3 top 25 teams, all in the 20 range, and only 1 in " others receiving votes" in one poll ( Ky ) and 2 ( KY and Bama ) in the other of the 2 major polls.

I could easily see Auburn, Florida, KY or Tennessee in the Sweet Sixteen and one of them being in the elite 8 wouldn't shock me at all. If Arkansas gets it's defense together, I would put them up there with those other teams as a serious threat to make a run. A&M may even get untracked and start playing like a top 10 team again.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Cinco de Hogo

Couldn't that just be a product of the whole league being substantially better?   Maybe we don't have a final four team but at the sametime I could see the league having a very good tournament record.

Hawg Red

Oh boy.

Look, I've argued with people on here for years that said the SEC was better than it was getting credit for, but the league is very good this year. Basically, only Vanderbilt isn't a good team. Every other team in the league has a shot at an at-large bid right now. I think 7 teams will get a bid this year, maybe 8. That's clearly above average.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on January 25, 2018, 08:35:40 am
Couldn't that just be a product of the whole league being substantially better?   Maybe we don't have a final four team but at the sametime I could see the league having a very good tournament record.

The league could have a team or even 2 in the final 4 or elite 8. The NCAAT is all about matchups, so the league could have a very good record, average, or poor depending on who the teams are that get in and what draws they get.

It could be that the league is really good so anyone can beat anyone, or it could be that it is average and so anyone can beat anyone. There is not one or 2 dominant teams like we have seen in years past.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wisco Pig

January 25, 2018, 09:29:25 am #22 Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:44:20 am by Wisco Pig
We can apply some numbers to this discussion and see that the SEC is clearly better than in previous years, although I agree with posters who say no single team stands out as elite. 

For example, the bracketologists at ESPN and CBS have 8 SEC teams in their latest tournament fields, with a 9th team (S. Carolina or Georgia) listed in the first four out or next four out.   I can't find a quick confirmation online, but I don't think the SEC has ever received more than 6 bids to a single tournament.

The SEC is currently rated as the nation's 4th best conference according to RPI, and it's possible for that ranking to improve with a strong showing this weekend against the Big 12, which has the best conference RPI.   The 2nd- and 3rd-rated conferences (Big East and ACC) have collective RPIs that are less than half a percentage point ahead of the SEC.

In terms of RPI, the SEC currently has 9 teams in the top 50; a 10th team, Georgia, is 55th.  Overall, 13 of 14 SEC teams are in the RPI top 100.  I can't prove it, but I doubt the conference has ever had such numbers.  Here's a quick comparison with the past few seasons:

Year    Conference RPI    Top 50 teams   Top 100 teams
2018        4th                        9                   13
2017        5th                        5                   10
2016        6th                        3                    9
2015        6th                        3                   10
2014        7th                        4                    8
2013        9th                        3                    8
2012*      4th                        4                    8

* Last year of 12-team SEC.

KlubhouseKonnected

You should try to be less obvious than this when you are trying to frame a narrative for your little agenda
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

jjdlc

Lets see what happens in the SEC/Big 12 challenge before we start posting crap like this.  To this point the SEC has performed very well in it's OOC schedule, so yeah, as of right now, the SEC looks much improved from past years.  The parity across the league is also much tighter.

lynbug

Quote from: hogsanity on January 25, 2018, 08:49:27 am
The league could have a team or even 2 in the final 4 or elite 8. The NCAAT is all about matchups, so the league could have a very good record, average, or poor depending on who the teams are that get in and what draws they get.
It could be that the league is really good so anyone can beat anyone, or it could be that it is average and so anyone can beat anyone. There is not one or 2 dominant teams like we have seen in years pa?st.
But with either of those scenarios couldn't it make the teams stronger....being in so many "dog fights" that go down to the last few seconds of the game?  Seems like there has been more of those games than usual this year.

pigroots

The SEC needs to win 4-5 games in this challenge to be considered legit. I think the media likes to bash the SEC due to the success we garner in football. If the conference gets hammered it will probably cost a bid or 2 come March. Too bad Auburn is not involved cause right now they are the SEC's best team

k.c.hawg

WTH?? Did you just start watching the league this year??
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hogsanity

Quote from: Wisco Pig on January 25, 2018, 09:29:25 am
We can apply some numbers to this discussion and see that the SEC is clearly better than in previous years, although I agree with posters who say no single team stands out as elite. 

For example, the bracketologists at ESPN and CBS have 8 SEC teams in their latest tournament fields, with a 9th team (S. Carolina or Georgia) listed in the first four out or next four out.   I can't find a quick confirmation online, but I don't think the SEC has ever received more than 6 bids to a single tournament.

The SEC is currently rated as the nation's 4th best conference according to RPI, and it's possible for that ranking to improve with a strong showing this weekend against the Big 12, which has the best conference RPI.   The 2nd- and 3rd-rated conferences (Big East and ACC) have collective RPIs that are less than half a percentage point ahead of the SEC.

In terms of RPI, the SEC currently has 9 teams in the top 50; a 10th team, Georgia, is 55th.  Overall, 13 of 14 SEC teams are in the RPI top 100.  I can't prove it, but I doubt the conference has ever had such numbers.  Here's a quick comparison with the past few seasons:

Year    Conference RPI    Top 50 teams   Top 100 teams
2018        4th                        9                   13
2017        5th                        5                   10
2016        6th                        3                    9
2015        6th                        3                   10
2014        7th                        4                    8
2013        9th                        3                    8
2012*      4th                        4                    8

* Last year of 12-team SEC.

Ok, the rpi is better but us that because they played much better ooc schedules or won more of them , or both. It was not long ago that SC played like a 251rpi ooc schedule.

Does better rpi mean the teams are actually better though?

gchamblee

It isn't a myth when math proves you wrong.

010HogFan

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 25, 2018, 10:10:01 am

LMFAO it's so much better it's not funny! He must have forgotten what SEC basketball looks like traditionally...

Wisco Pig

Quote from: hogsanity on January 25, 2018, 10:18:10 am

I'd say yes, particularly when applied to whole conferences rather than individual teams (i.e., more data = better data), and when the differences are as dramatic as some of those shown in the numbers above.

The merit and value of RPI has been debated endlessly by college basketball wonks, and that debate is a rabbit hole I'd rather avoid, but I do think RPI is useful for discussions like these. 

razorhead94

January 25, 2018, 10:52:01 am #32 Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 11:58:58 am by razorhead94
Quote from: hogsanity on January 25, 2018, 10:18:10 am
Ok, the rpi is better but us that because they played much better ooc schedules or won more of them , or both. It was not long ago that SC played like a 251rpi ooc schedule.

It does when the teams actually win those big games in non conference which this league has.  There is a reason for the numbers.

Texas A&M - W over (7) West Virginia AP Ranked#7 and @USC (37)
Tennessee -  W over (10) Purdue AP Ranked #3 and wins over NC State, Georgia Tech, and Wake Forest
Kentucky -    W over (17) Louisville
Arkansas -    W over (9) Oklahoma AP Ranked #12 and Minnesota
Alabama -    W over (11) Rhode Island and Memphis
Florida -       W over (24) Cincinnati and Gonzaga AP Ranked #15
Georgia -      W over (41) Saint Mary's AP Ranked #16 and (44) @Marquette and (45) Temple
LSU -           W over (34) Michigan and (44) Marquette

It's not every single team in the conference but you get my drift. 

"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

DeltaBoy

We will see once the Tournament get here.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

niels_boar

In the Massey Composite Computer Index, which includes many computer polls that take into account how well you play against your schedule, 7 SEC teams are in the top 40, which would be virtual locks for at-large bids.  Bama is at #45 and would most likely get in at the present.  Another four teams are then in the #50-#70 range, which puts them in striking range of a bid with a good February and March.  Ole Miss and Vandy, both of whom have really good backcourts, may have too much to do without a long winning streak.  Ole Miss underperformed in nonconconference.  They are playing well right now.  If Ole Miss is your 13th best team, the conference is really good. 

The SEC was fine last year as well.  I posted before the tournament last year that the SEC had competed quite well with the ACC when the national media was slurping how strong the ACC was.  We then saw what happened in the tournament.  The SEC will get the benefit of some feedback effects in SOS this season that may make it look better than it is because there are no bad teams, but the Big 12 has been riding that gravy train to overrated for years. 

The SEC has been better than the rankings indicate in past years, but having 3 or 4 bad teams, which is more likely in a big conference, hammers the computer rankings of everyone. In 2013-14 UK had 6 losses in the SEC and went to the NC game.  How bad could it have been?  The top-9 were fine, but five teams at the bottom had overall losing records.  We swept UK and didn't get a bid.  UK beat a #1-seed, two #2-seeds, and a #4-seed on the way to the title game. 

There is usually a lot more parity in college basketball than the computer polls would lead you to believe.  You see it in the tournament almost every year.  The top four right now are Nova, Purdue, UVA, and Duke.  Tennessee beat Purdue and led Nova by 12 at half. UF led Duke for about 35 minutes.  It's not like it is mission impossible to beat anybody in college basketball this season.  This isn't 2015 when true power was at the top.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

AirWarren

FIRE MIKE! 14-6!!!!

HeyHogs

🧐 Interesting..  Please tell us more?

sadhogfan

You're bad at knowledge.

Dirty

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 24, 2018, 10:23:41 pm
I would say all the teams that make the SECt, would fit that scenario. Not that we have gotten a lot better, but I'm not sure UNC has gotten ANY better, if not worse. It sounds like you want another shot at them.

Doesn't all SEC teams make the SECt?

Wisco Pig

Quote from: Dirty on January 25, 2018, 12:55:41 pm

Yes, all 14 teams will be in the SEC tournament. 
A #11-14 seed would need 5 victories in 5 days to win the tournament.
A #5-10 seed would need 4 wins.
The #1-4 seeds get a double bye and need "only" 3 wins.

Hogsfan1981

8 teams probably getting in from SEC. It is better this year IMO and in circles including most analysts and people that make a living being in the know...

3of5-2

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on January 25, 2018, 09:34:57 am
You should try to be less obvious than this when you are trying to frame a narrative for your little agenda
People like you, always assume there is an agenda. It's that paranoia that drives you to thinking there's a conspiracy around every corner. Take another hydro and crawl back into the dark. It's not safe for you out here.

3of5-2

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 25, 2018, 10:10:01 am
Nope, when teams just beat each other, and there is not much difference between virtually all of them from top to bottom, they are all just average. It doesn't make them better. We will see when the tourney gets here.

3of5-2

Quote from: Dirty on January 25, 2018, 12:55:41 pm
My bad, I forgot it's all about money and juice boxes and orange slices at the SECt.

3of5-2

hawginbigd1

At this same time last year nobody would have said that USC was a FF team, but I think I am in line with your premise the bottom and middle are way better, not sure there is an elite team right now.

hogsanity

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 25, 2018, 02:13:40 pm
My bad, I forgot it's all about money and juice boxes and orange slices at the SECt.

Do any of the major conferences not take all of their teams in their tournament?

jesterzzn

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 25, 2018, 02:09:11 pm
People like you, always assume there is an agenda.

Superfluous comma.  Argument invalidated.

3of5-2

Dirty

Quote from: 3of5-2 on January 25, 2018, 02:13:40 pm

Yes it is!