Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3-2-1 Ribs

Started by Boog41, May 21, 2016, 03:42:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog41

I've always struggled with ribs. Finally found something easy to remember that works every time.

3-2-1 ribs. Rub ribs with favorite dry rub. Smoke at 225 for 3 hrs. Baste and wrap in foil for two hrs at 225 then unwrap and continue smoking for one more hr at 225

ImHogginIt

It is usually too windy here in Texas to fight my WSM and keep it at 225. So I go at 250-260 for 2, 1 1/2 and 1 .
Have yet to see a difference in taste and texture either way

HogimusMaximus

majestic

Quote from: Boog41 on May 21, 2016, 03:42:25 pm
I've always struggled with ribs. Finally found something easy to remember that works every time.

3-2-1 ribs. Rub ribs with favorite dry rub. Smoke at 225 for 3 hrs. Baste and wrap in foil for two hrs at 225 then unwrap and continue smoking for one more hr at 225
I thought everyone knew about that method, LOL. Better to do 2-2-1 with babybacks. Otherwise, they "fall off the bone".
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Boog41

May 21, 2016, 07:59:38 pm #4 Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:37:50 am by Boog41
My apologies if I posted something that everyone already knew. I just learned this from a friend. And with 3-2-1 the baby backs did not fall off the bone.

PorkRinds

Did some ribs tonight.  I usually do the 2-1-1. After talking to pharm I decided to go without wrapping. 5 hours at 250.  Best ribs I've made. One had "chipotle sweet heat" rub I got as a gift. The other was "pig trail BBQ rub" I got in eureka springs at the spice store. Both good, preferred the pig trail.

PorkRinds

First pic kind of shows my smoking set up on the primo.  Foil is wrapped up corn on the cob. Sorry the pictures are terrible.

Boog41

Looks really good Pork. 250 X 5. Were they at all dry? Did you mop any? Pharm knows his stuff. It's good to take advice from him.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boog41 on May 21, 2016, 09:16:20 pm
Looks really good Pork. 250 X 5. Were they at all dry? Did you mop any? Pharm knows his stuff. It's good to take advice from him.
No mop at all. Not dry at all. I like more of a crust on the outside of my ribs so they were just my style. Not fall off the bone, but super tender.  Way easier than foiling, and just as good or better. I won't foil any longer honestly.  I really should admit it was about 225-240 and not a full 250 part of the time.

Boog41

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 21, 2016, 09:20:13 pm
No mop at all. Not dry at all. I like more of a crust on the outside of my ribs so they were just my style. Not fall off the bone, but super tender.  Way easier than foiling, and just as good or better. I won't foil any longer honestly.  I really should admit it was about 225-240 and not a full 250 part of the time.

That's the kind of info I'm after. Thanks!

PharmacistHog

Sorry my texts were kinda short earlier. I was driving. I actually stopped at a stop sign and answered you the first time. The ribs look great. I've gotten away from foiling cuz mine slways comebout mushy and fall of the bone. I dont care for that. I just cook them straight thru. When they shring back from the bone and I can pick them up with tongs and they bend 90 degrees and hold I pull them off.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 21, 2016, 10:59:20 pm
Sorry my texts were kinda short earlier. I was driving. I actually stopped at a stop sign and answered you the first time. The ribs look great. I've gotten away from foiling cuz mine slways comebout mushy and fall of the bone. I dont care for that. I just cook them straight thru. When they shring back from the bone and I can pick them up with tongs and they bend 90 degrees and hold I pull them off.

No worries dude! I got the point, and they worked out just fine!

PharmacistHog

Well I'm glad they turned out. They look excellent. Got me wanting to cook ribs now. Thanks a LOT!  Guess I'll hit the store after church tomorrow. Hope the wife is doing well. Thinking about ya'll.
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

BR

3-2-1 for spares, 2-2-1 for Baby Backs...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

ricepig

Quote from: BR on May 22, 2016, 10:23:50 am
3-2-1 for spares, 2-2-1 for Baby Backs...

I can eat more than that.......seriously, looks good, but any more time to grill a burger or steak, and I lose interest.

BR

majestic

Quote from: Boog41 on May 21, 2016, 07:59:38 pm
My apologies if I posted something that everyone already knew. I just learned this from a friend. And with 3-2-1 the baby backs did not fall off the bone.

Sorry if my reply came across dickish.  Didn't mean it that way.

Now.... putting a butt on in a few minutes.  My dumbass wasn't paying attention and I bought the shank, so I have a bone in there.  We'll see how that turns out.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: majestic on May 22, 2016, 11:51:14 am
Sorry if my reply came across dickish.  Didn't mean it that way.

Now.... putting a butt on in a few minutes.  My dumbass wasn't paying attention and I bought the shank, so I have a bone in there.  We'll see how that turns out.

So you bought a picnic shoulder?  I usually cook those to about 185 and pull it off and slice it or chop. If I try took them to pull they seem to always turn out dry on me.
Millennials suck...

majestic

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 22, 2016, 12:53:35 pm
So you bought a picnic shoulder?  I usually cook those to about 185 and pull it off and slice it or chop. If I try took them to pull they seem to always turn out dry on me.
Yep. I usually take the temp on a butt to about 205 and then let it set for about 20 minutes before pulling it apart. You think that's too high? I've never smoked a shank before, I don't want it dry. It's only about 4 lbs., so I'm thinking ~5 hours at 225 should do it.  I'm smoking it uncovered in a foil pan with the usual mustard and dry rub.

PharmacistHog

I wouldnt go to 205 if it were me. I'd shoot for about 190 and just slice it thin if it doesnt see to pull. Some are drier than others. If you are cooking it in a pan you will have pan juice left. I'd slice and toss with the pan juice and a little more rub and call it good. 5 hours would be a good guess.
Millennials suck...

PharmacistHog

ANYBODY that turned out that salmon like you did need not offer apologies for never hearing of 3-2-1 method. I dont foil ribs cuz I dont like the texture PLUS I cant look and touch and feel them while they are wrapped. I ruined plenty of meat but not being enough "hands on" with it. Cooking by time is a pitfall for me. Seems I hardly ever have two hunks of meat cook the same way twice.
Millennials suck...

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 22, 2016, 01:10:02 pm
ANYBODY that turned out that salmon like you did need not offer apologies for never hearing of 3-2-1 method. I dont foil ribs cuz I dont like the texture PLUS I cant look and touch and feel them while they are wrapped. I ruined plenty of meat but not being enough "hands on" with it. Cooking by time is a pitfall for me. Seems I hardly ever have two hunks of meat cook the same way twice.

Same here. In fact one time I had two butts on to smoke. Both weighed roughly the same. One was 4.5 and the other was 4.7.  The 4.7 was done and ready a good two or three hours before the one that was actually smaller. I think it has a lot to do with how much connective tissue is inside the meat and lord knows what else. But yeah cooking by temp is the way to go.  That and the feel/texture of the meat.

majestic

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 22, 2016, 01:06:28 pm
I wouldnt go to 205 if it were me. I'd shoot for about 190 and just slice it thin if it doesnt see to pull. Some are drier than others. If you are cooking it in a pan you will have pan juice left. I'd slice and toss with the pan juice and a little more rub and call it good. 5 hours would be a good guess.
I'll take your advice and pull it off at 190. The kids really want pulled pork sandwiches tonight. I might slice some for me since I'm off of bread. (down 15 lbs. since first of the year...)

majestic

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 22, 2016, 01:13:54 pm
Same here. In fact one time I had two butts on to smoke. Both weighed roughly the same. One was 4.5 and the other was 4.7.  The 4.7 was done and ready a good two or three hours before the one that was actually smaller. I think it has a lot to do with how much connective tissue is inside the meat and lord knows what else. But yeah cooking by temp is the way to go.  That and the feel/texture of the meat.
Yeah, have to go by temp due to the meat stalling out.  I had a brisket stall out at 160 for over 3 hours once. It kind of freaked me out.

PorkRinds

Quote from: majestic on May 22, 2016, 01:19:15 pm
Yeah, have to go by temp due to the meat stalling out.  I had a brisket stall out at 160 for over 3 hours once. It kind of freaked me out.

The stall drives me crazy. I've gotten to the point where I just walk away for a while when the stall starts. Go shopping or something. I trust my grill enough that I know the temp is going to hold. So rather than watch it for two hours I just forget about it. Eventually it comes up though. But it's torture. 

As for your picnic I've read that some people do them starting off at 200 for a couple hours then crank up to 250 so that the outside doesn't dry out before the inside is done. I actually prefer smoking pork butts with the bone in. Just seems to stay more moist. For shank roasts I'd expect it to be 1.5 hours a pound.  They just seem to take longer.

majestic

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 22, 2016, 01:26:41 pm
The stall drives me crazy. I've gotten to the point where I just walk away for a while when the stall starts. Go shopping or something. I trust my grill enough that I know the temp is going to hold. So rather than watch it for two hours I just forget about it. Eventually it comes up though. But it's torture. 

As for your picnic I've read that some people do them starting off at 200 for a couple hours then crank up to 250 so that the outside doesn't dry out before the inside is done. I actually prefer smoking pork butts with the bone in. Just seems to stay more moist. For shank roasts I'd expect it to be 1.5 hours a pound.  They just seem to take longer.
I'm one of those cheaters who uses a pellet smoker. It's been on at 225 since noon. I'll go flip it around 2 and check the temp then.

And Boog41, I apologize, again, if my post was rude.  If I had the patience, and a rig that would hold 115, I'd love to try your salmon recipe; looks kick-ass.

BR

Hell Brother, it's Hogville always at least 5-10 in every crowd..   Not usually any over here in the Tailgate area... 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: majestic on May 22, 2016, 01:15:52 pm
I'll take your advice and pull it off at 190. The kids really want pulled pork sandwiches tonight. I might slice some for me since I'm off of bread. (down 15 lbs. since first of the year...)

I think at 190 you will have some meat that will pull or chunk and some of the leaner will be to slice. Should get best of both worlds at that temp. Hope it turns out great.
Millennials suck...

majestic

What are the chances of the battery dying in your probe? Unbelievable! Guess I'll use the old fashioned one.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: majestic on May 22, 2016, 03:07:38 pm
What are the chances of the battery dying in your probe? Unbelievable! Guess I'll use the old fashioned one.

Uhhhh. That sucks!  Thats the kinda luck I usually have.
Millennials suck...

PorkRinds

I've had terrible luck with probes in general. I've been wanting to spring for a thermapen but haven't convinced the wife it's a necessity yet because he cheaper ones work pretty well for what I need. I think my next purchase will either be a BBQ dragon or a cast iron griddle accessory.  Not sure though.  The griddle would be for smash burgers and what not, but I have a decent sized cast iron skillet that does the trick.  The BBQ dragon would be nice too, but I've been using my shop vac with similar effects.  Got a birthday coming up so I may or may not get one or the other then.  Or a May get a good carving and slicing knife instead.  I really need one of those worse than I do either accessory at this point.

PharmacistHog

My wife uses my thermopen a lot just in the kitchen. I love it. What kinda slicer you wanting?
Millennials suck...

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 22, 2016, 03:55:02 pm
My wife uses my thermopen a lot just in the kitchen. I love it. What kinda slicer you wanting?

Just a good slicing knife.  I use an electric knife right now, but it's not all that great.  I need to get a commercial grade slicing knife. Not electric, just sharp as heck so it'll make thin slices.

PharmacistHog

I bought a victorionox and then got talked into buying a dexter. That dexter is badass. Cheap, too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NG98RI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
Millennials suck...

PorkRinds

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 22, 2016, 04:15:42 pm
I bought a victorionox and then got talked into buying a dexter. That dexter is badass. Cheap, too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NG98RI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

That's exactly what I'm planning on getting, the Dexter knife. That's what you see all the pros use.

Boog41

Quote from: majestic on May 22, 2016, 01:32:18 pm
I'm one of those cheaters who uses a pellet smoker. It's been on at 225 since noon. I'll go flip it around 2 and check the temp then.

And Boog41, I apologize, again, if my post was rude.  If I had the patience, and a rig that would hold 115, I'd love to try your salmon recipe; looks kick-ass.

No worries Maj. It's all good.

DeltaBoy

Thanks folks I just never been brave enough to pull the trigger on the Ribs, I cooked Beef Ribs in the Crock pot after a 2 hour bath in smoke on the grill but never pork ribs..
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Boog41 on May 21, 2016, 03:42:25 pm

I do a variation of the 3-2-1.  Brine for 3 hrs.  Wrap in foil and bake for 2 hours.  Add dry seasoning, put on the grill and blast with smoke for 1 hour.  I know the purists will hate this, but it works for me.  Good ribs and very, very simple.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 23, 2016, 10:04:59 am
I do a variation of the 3-2-1.  Brine for 3 hrs.  Wrap in foil and bake for 2 hours.  Add dry seasoning, put on the grill and blast with smoke for 1 hour.  I know the purists will hate this, but it works for me.  Good ribs and very, very simple.

Nah, I just say do it how you like it.  Not everybody likes the same thing.  I know people who cook ribs hot and fast over direct heat. 
Millennials suck...

majestic

I've actually been thinking about brining some ribs.  May have to try this weekend.

PorkRinds

I've heard of brining ribs but a good buddy of mine who does competitions made a good point. Brining is basically to get flavor down into thicker cuts of meat.  Chickens, pork loins, thick pork chops, etc all benefit from it because you can never get flavor deep into a thick cut of meat like that without the brining process. But with something like ribs, there's not much meat there and it's a pretty thin layer. So while it may work, it's almost pointless. 

PharmacistHog

I wouldn't brine them very long because they might get rubbery, but just like a pork chop or boneless chicken breast it should add some moisture and flavor into the meat I would think. 
Millennials suck...

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 23, 2016, 12:56:53 pm
I wouldn't brine them very long because they might get rubbery, but just like a pork chop or boneless chicken breast it should add some moisture and flavor into the meat I would think.
And mine is actually a marinade, not a brine.  Poor choice of words. 

Pigasaurus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 23, 2016, 10:22:09 am
Nah, I just say do it how you like it.  Not everybody likes the same thing.  I know people who cook ribs hot and fast over direct heat. 

Learned from ex pa in law.  lots of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder.  over direct for some char, off and on direct until done.  My favorite way to eat ribs.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

hoosier

Quote from: pigasaurus on May 24, 2016, 09:18:50 pm
Learned from ex pa in law.  lots of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder.  over direct for some char, off and on direct until done.  My favorite way to eat ribs.
When I was a young'un and only had a gas grill that's how I would fix them. After about 30-40 minutes I would baste them with beer every 10-15 minutes till almost done. Then sauce for the final 30 minutes. Always turned out damn good

I haven't been able to get the taste and texture right since I bought me egg. Everybody else always likes them but I've never been satisfied yet. But I don't fix them but 2-3 times a year. I need to fix them every weekend until I find the method I like

PharmacistHog

Quote from: hoosier on May 25, 2016, 10:27:06 am
When I was a young'un and only had a gas grill that's how I would fix them. After about 30-40 minutes I would baste them with beer every 10-15 minutes till almost done. Then sauce for the final 30 minutes. Always turned out damn good

I haven't been able to get the taste and texture right since I bought me egg. Everybody else always likes them but I've never been satisfied yet. But I don't fix them but 2-3 times a year. I need to fix them every weekend until I find the method I like

Ha!  Sounds like me. I can cook them and have people swear they are the best they've ever had and I'll think I ruined them. I've bout decided maybe I'm just not a big pork rib fan?
Millennials suck...

DeltaBoy

Pork Ribs are like women they may be identical twins but they are never the same.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BR

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on May 23, 2016, 01:47:48 pm
And mine is actually a marinade, not a brine.  Poor choice of words. 
Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 23, 2016, 12:56:53 pm
AMEN, Plus the salt would be overbearing in ribs... 

BR

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 23, 2016, 12:23:56 pm
I've heard of brining ribs but a good buddy of mine who does competitions made a good point. Brining is basically to get flavor down into thicker cuts of meat.  Chickens, pork loins, thick pork chops, etc all benefit from it because you can never get flavor deep into a thick cut of meat like that without the brining process. But with something like ribs, there's not much meat there and it's a pretty thin layer. So while it may work, it's almost pointless. 
I have done tons of competitions, never saw anyone doing a brine on Ribs..  Like you said above, thick cuts it works wonders on. Just watch your salt...

theFlyingHog

I'm pretty sure I saw that Rendevous cooks their ribs at 300+ for an hour.
I just put 3 racks on the old POS smoke hollow. We do 3 and 3 @250. Of course, we like our to fall off the bone. Pick up the bone and throw it away and eat what's left  :P