Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Inside Grilling"

Started by RBLtoHOG, July 11, 2013, 07:12:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RBLtoHOG

So I live in an apartment now where I can't have a grill on my balcony. There's a community one outside in the court yard but I'm 4 floors up and don't feel like walking out there when all I'm wanting to do is throw a steak on the grill for myself.

When you guys don't have access to the grill, what are you favorite means of cooking steaks, burgers, chops... whatever?

I currently use the cast iron and oven.
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HuntinHog

Grill plate for your stove.

RBLtoHOG

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 11, 2013, 07:23:16 pm
electric grill

I've thought about that but was iffy. I've never tried it. Does it taste at least close to a true grilled piece of meat?
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

tophawg19

it's decent . put it close to a window with a fan and you can burn a wood chip on tin foil. just stay on top of it at all times if you do this . a good rub or sauce and it gets pretty good .

tophawg19

also an electric griddle works good if you add rubs or a good bbq sauce . thinner meat works better though . it would be great for those who like medium rare

Iamphatman

Cast iron grill pan. Small bit of liquid smoke in the marinade or what have you.

jacobp

2nd the grill pan. those electric grills don't get hot enough.

catfish07

I use a cast iron skillet. High heat and finish in the oven; good sear on the outside and medium rare in the middle.
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

DeltaBoy

July 19, 2013, 04:24:31 pm #9 Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 04:34:33 pm by DeltaBoy
Get a Lodge Grill pan and it will go live you the Grill marks you desire.

What I do also is use peanut oil and heat that pan till it is Hot as Hades. Slap that room temp seasoned steak in it 2 minutes each side and into a 350 degree oven to finish.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kibster

Didn't feel like firing up the grill tonight.

Used a cast iron skillet that was super hot to put a sear on stuffed pork chops, then finished in the oven.

Used a cast iron grill plan to cook some egg plant.

Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Verge

Quote from: RBLtoHOG on July 11, 2013, 07:12:57 pm
So I live in an apartment now where I can't have a grill on my balcony. There's a community one outside in the court yard but I'm 4 floors up and don't feel like walking out there when all I'm wanting to do is throw a steak on the grill for myself.

When you guys don't have access to the grill, what are you favorite means of cooking steaks, burgers, chops... whatever?

I currently use the cast iron and oven.

oven cast iron is spectacular.

Can you put an electric smoker on your balcony? They work well.