Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Almost finished with my BGE nest

Started by 1873Hawg, September 21, 2012, 07:42:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

1873Hawg

Currently I have an XL but I made it with the intention to be able to add a Large right next to the XL. It is 8' long by 34" wide. Tomorrow I am going to put on the finishing touches...

Going to put an eating surface on the front side...

Going to get some waterproof storage containers for my eggcessories, charcoal, smoking wood, etc...  (now all currently stored in my shed). I am also going to get a piece of tile to put on the board in front of the paver so when ashes/embers come out of the vent hole they do not come in contact with the wood.
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

1873Hawg

Quote from: Shag66 on September 21, 2012, 09:28:48 pm
SWEET!  Putting on wheels or is it going to be stationary?

Mine is a Large but Slacker was looking at an XL.  How much can you get on there? 

Going to leave it stationary.

Most I have ever had on there is 4 @ 7lb Boston Butts... but with my rack I can get 20-30 lbs of country style ribs on there...
"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting a bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey

1873Hawg

Quote from: Shag66 on September 21, 2012, 09:49:38 pm
Nice!  I have a three teir rack for my Large.  I can get 4 butts on it using two teirs. 

Slacker was worried about it not holding enough meat but I told him it would hold more than he thought.

Boar has a Large and a Medium in his table.  It is sweet.  Made a granite top for it..

You going to tile the top or leave it natural?  I am thinking about routing out a spot for a heat tile in my table.

Originally I was going to tile the top but I decided just to go with a lumber top. I made it in a way that if I decide to tile it later I can fairly easily, but I will probably leave it like it is. I like the way it turned out; the green in the treated lumber complements the BGE. :)

BTW here is a pic of a 6lb pork but and a bacon explosion on the XL... as you can see plenty of space left on tier 1...

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

1873Hawg

vol_in_ar

1873Hawg

Quote from: vol_in_ar on September 26, 2012, 07:20:17 pm
That's a really nice set up

Thanks

Quote from: Shag66 on September 26, 2012, 07:22:13 pm
Did you leave enough room around it to get it out if need be?

The eating bar is a cool idea!  I like that!  Gonna have bar stools?

Yeah on getting it out...

the eating height is normal table height 29" so normal chairs work... right now we use our normal pool chairs when needed ... have not decided what I am going to do for a more permanent seating arrangement.

vol_in_ar

1873Hawg

Quote from: vol_in_ar on September 26, 2012, 07:41:40 pm
are you going to stain it

Nah... it is treated lumber... I sort of like the green tint on it...

vol_in_ar

1873Hawg

Quote from: vol_in_ar on September 26, 2012, 07:49:29 pm
does look good, nice work

Thanks ... it is a heavy sucker (even without the BGE)

DeltaBoy

Great Job and good wood work.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

buckyhog

Awesome setup.  One question, does the lid open back toward the eating platform?  If so, I'd turn it to open to the outside so that it won't be in the way if someone is sitting there.

1873Hawg

Quote from: buckyhog on September 27, 2012, 03:33:51 pm
Awesome setup.  One question, does the lid open back toward the eating platform?  If so, I'd turn it to open to the outside so that it won't be in the way if someone is sitting there.

Thanks ... the way the lid opens it never gets above (or in the way of) the eating platform.

Slacker

Quote from: 1873Hawg on September 21, 2012, 07:42:23 pm
Currently I have an XL but I made it with the intention to be able to add a Large right next to the XL. It is 8' long by 34" wide. Tomorrow I am going to put on the finishing touches...

Going to put an eating surface on the front side...

Going to get some waterproof storage containers for my eggcessories, charcoal, smoking wood, etc...  (now all currently stored in my shed). I am also going to get a piece of tile to put on the board in front of the paver so when ashes/embers come out of the vent hole they do not come in contact with the wood.

Nice idea. Thank you sir.

Slacker

Whatcha got in invested in the hardware? About $200?

1873Hawg

1873Hawg

Quote from: Shag66 on September 27, 2012, 06:20:03 pm
That is a lot of table for $200...    Well done..

Thanks ... Ridout lumber, good wood ;) for good prices...

DeltaBoy

Ridout is a great lumber company!