Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Robkin--How many remember him from the Sutton era?

Started by SunriseHog, April 11, 2007, 04:11:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DrSwineESQ

April 12, 2007, 12:50:39 pm #100 Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 01:02:19 pm by DrSwineESQ
Quote from: Bogghawg on April 12, 2007, 12:43:10 pm
I was on the hill from 84-88 and again in 90-91 and this thread is an awesome plast from the past, but it also shows how far we have fallen.  Our new coach could do a LOT worse than trying to pull some strings and bring back the greatest pep band director in history.
I was at many SWC tourney's in Dallas and didn't miss a game my 4 years in the Barn... Robkin had the whole state trained to react instantly.  Nowhere was the crowd as important a part of the actual game than at Fayetteville.
Something that hadn't been mentioned...when we were making the switch in conferences, Robkin and the band came up with "All my ex's life in Texas" and passed out lyrics to the student section.  It went something like this...hmmm, hmmm, 
"All our ex's life in Texas.  Texas is a place we realy HATE TO BE.
All our ex's life in Texas.  That's we were moving, that's why were leaving,
that's right, we're going to the S-E-C !!!"

It brought the house down.  We sang it all season.  I especially remember one night we were playing Kansas State and their mascot loved it so much he stood at center court and bowed down to our band and student section when we finished.

That was my last year in band.  And reminds me of a classic Robken moment.  We're playing Rice (I think) in Little Rock, and during halftime we're marching along and Robken comes out of the Press box at War Memorial and stops the band while we're on the field.  He's screaming at us over the PA system to stop playing.  He jumps onto the field and introduces "all my ex's" to the Little Rock crowd.  60,000 people singing along with us--I still get chills.     

zebra

They used that noise meter the first couple of years in BWA, then got rid of it, it just wasn't the same as when Jim got the Barn thumping.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Quote from: cityhog on April 11, 2007, 10:56:28 pm
I remember at a pep rally in front of the Hyatt one year at the SWC Tourney, he had the crowd whipped into a frenzy.  He started talking about how all these Texas schools had their hand signals.  UT had the "hook 'em", A&M had the "gig 'em", Baylor had the "Bear Claw", and Tech had the "shooting pistols".  He then said "i think it's time Arkansas had a hand signal, and I think it should be this.  He then holds up his arm high in the air with the single "we're #1" finger.  The crowd went ape crazy.  Greatest moment at a Razorback pep rally ever.  Those rallys were insane, but that one took the cake.

I REMEMNDER THAT!!!  I WAS PROBABLY ONLY 7 or 8!  I can remember that like it was yesterday!

Sir Hog Alot

MR. Robkin married a french horn player in the band.  She was not a majorette.  I got to visit with him at a game this past fall up in hog heaven.  He still loves the hogs! 

Big Hawg 21

Quote from: zebra on April 12, 2007, 01:35:54 pm
They used that noise meter the first couple of years in BWA, then got rid of it, it just wasn't the same as when Jim got the Barn thumping.

its my understanding that the SEC made us remove it b/c it was in the line of sight of the players

Mad Dog Hog

Man, if you never experienced this you really missed out.  I had seats on row 5 right next to the band my senior year in '81-'82.  There is no way to describe it.  Even when they were not playing the energy from the band fed the crowd, it was constant cheering and noise.  Miss that atmosphere so much, just not the same!  Thanks Jim Robkin and all the band members of those days for helping create something that may never be duplicated again, it was special!
UofA Class of '82

pignatious

I don't think you can underestimate the importance of a great band director and a great pep band. Ask Coach Sutton and Coach Richardson and they will tell you. It is very important to your team and your fans and their relationship during the game. Let's face facts, the current band director is awful. I cringe every time I see him out there, thinking how things used to be with Jim Robkin. He has no sense of the game at all. If we can't get Jim, they need to hire that search firm again and go find somebody who knows when to play the William Tell Overture, when to call the Hogs, and can learn some new songs once in a while. Go get Jim back and give him a raise, and if he can't run around anymore, send out some band members to do it. Bring back the noise meter. Let's get the Bud rocking again for the new coach!
Freedom is never free.

Hog_Beatz

April 12, 2007, 11:41:42 pm #107 Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 11:43:54 pm by Hog_Beatz
One of the main problems we have now with Mr. Gunter is he is very political.  He spends more time and effort trying to please the chancellor than the fans.  I'm not old enough to really remember much of Robken, but I've been in the band, and know the stories.  Robken was a true pep band director, and that is what you need in college bands, but nowadays band directors, here and elsewhere, forget that their job is to entertain the crowds, instead they try to satisfy their own egos.

Gunter is riding the coatails of those before him, it just so happens those coattails were really long because of the successes of Robken.

hawgtahm

April 13, 2007, 05:59:32 am #108 Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 03:14:56 pm by hawgtahm
Jim Robken was a hoot, but there was a method to his madness that borders on brilliance. He understood, maybe more than anyone else ever has, how integral the band could be in the flow of the game. His famous hat waving sprint around the barn was much more than entertainment. It was good strategy.

He realized that every time the Hogs started to get the momentum on the court, crowd response would build at a relative rate, just as it does for any home team. The natural response of the visiting coach is to call a T.O., not just to regroup his team, but to quell the crowd and start anew. That is when Robken would go to work. His reactionary statement was, essentially, "That won't work, here. Not in this house. Not on my watch."

The intent of the opposing coaches T.O., at least as it related to the crowd, would backfire. During the T.O., the crowd, because of Robken's antics, would actually get louder more often than not (but never quieter). How intimidating is that?

Brilliant is what it was. It is somewhat amazing, to me, that this type of band (director) participation did not become the norm for collegiate basketball programs.

Granny fan

Quote from: Hoggywentacourtin on April 11, 2007, 04:55:00 pm
I was in the Hogwild band under Robkin the year US Reed hit that shot to beat Louisville. What a great time. I'll come back and run the Hogwild Band if the money is right.  :razorback:

I wish somebody would come back and run the Hogwild Band right.  There is NO COMPARISON in what it is today as compared to what it was back then.  They DO NOT excite the crowd now.

HogBrew

I remember how Jim would do at the games. Man, this is a great memory thread.

JohnsonHog

Talk about giving me the chills.  This thread is awesome.  A lot of good memories I have of watching BB games growing up in Barnhill arena had to do with Robken and the band and the level of excitement they brought to the game.  The "we're going to beat the hell out of you" chant doesn't even compare nowadays.  Bring him back!!  Get Pelphrey on the phone.  Talk about making a lot of fans happy!!

WhenPigsFly

The Jim Robken "phenonenon" was one of those  unique blends of timing and oportunity meeting up with the perfect person for the job. 

Jim was a grad assistant in the music department when Eddie Sutton has gotten the basketball progam moving forward.  Sutton wanted something like the "Cougan Brass" at Houston.  Jim was "assigned" the pep band because the band directors (understandably, with a full load of teaching) didn't want to do it.

A contest was held to name the pep band, ala "Cougar Brass".  The winning entry was "The Hogwild Sound of Red".  (I had favored "RazorBrass" myself.)  This was (thank goodness) shortened to "HogWild Band" eventually.

The rest is history.  But, like many great memories, I'm afraid that we'll not see it recreated.  It took the perfect circumstance and the perfect person for the job.  That will not likely happen again.

94 Hawg

we have a new coach, it's time to liven things up a bit. having the band director run around BWA would be a great tradition to resume.
:razorback:
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

kgr

It gives me chills thinking about it. 

It was a trip. 

skilldawg

Robken is still at TECH and he is still great.  TECH's hooptroop is by far the most popular band at the WAC Tournament every year.  They have even gotten rave reviews from National Media.  Check out this link from a couple of yers ago.
http://www.latechbbb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25984

javajockey

My family went to Dallas every year for the SWC tournament.  Razorback fans took over Reunion Arena.  All of the teams from Texas hated us and the tournament basically died along with the conference soon after we moved to the SEC.  I can remember the pep rallies just outside of the Hyatt Regency.  Jim Robken would do anything to get the fans fired up.  I remember one time he took off his shoes, rolled up his pants and jumped into the fountain to get the fans going.  Keep in mind, this was in the early spring and that water had to be cooooold!!!   :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

josh_sec33

Warren (cough Winky) and Gunter are good concert directors. But honestly they aren't Robkin in the way he could fire up the place.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

OKCHogFan

It was a lot of fun... the old barnhill arena... sawdust on the floor... free tickets and crazy student fans.

OKCHogFan

SuckingSow

I was in the band there the year we went to the Orange Bowl and played Oklahoma (Jan. 87).  We took I don't know how many charter busses down to Miami and I was fortunate enough to ride on Robkin's bus.  The man was a hoot.  I wish we had the energy now that he provided then.

Go Hogs!

pignatious

We need someone with even half the energy and enthusiasm that Jim had for the job to take over as band director. I don't know if Arkansas has to keep a band director forever unless he does something wrong or what, but a change would really do wonders. The Arkansas fans need every bit of spark they can get to rid ourselves of the general malaise and excruciating boredom of the Heath years. Surely one of the old Hogwild band members under Robkin would be capable of doing the job and following in his footsteps? That part of Razorback tradition is something we need back as much as pressing, hard nosed defense and playing hard until the end of every game and never quitting.
Freedom is never free.

Dawgpix

Jim Robken came back to Louisiana Tech, his alma mater, after I sent to Dr. Dan Reneau, Tech's president, the Arkansas Gazette article about Jim's leaving UA.

And he is doing well.

He has done wonders for our band program, but, yes, basketball season is super with him.

In recent years, when Tech has gone to Western Athletic Conference basketball tournaments other schools brible Tech's Hoop Troop to play for them until their band can make it to town later in the week (imagine a SEC school not bringing its band from the start of their tournament games.

He is the epitome of basketball band directors and we're proud to have him in Ruston.
tm

jwdento3

Quote from: pignatious on April 14, 2007, 03:04:21 pm
We need someone with even half the energy and enthusiasm that Jim had for the job to take over as band director. I don't know if Arkansas has to keep a band director forever unless he does something wrong or what, but a change would really do wonders. The Arkansas fans need every bit of spark they can get to rid ourselves of the general malaise and excruciating boredom of the Heath years. Surely one of the old Hogwild band members under Robkin would be capable of doing the job and following in his footsteps? That part of Razorback tradition is something we need back as much as pressing, hard nosed defense and playing hard until the end of every game and never quitting.

Even if White doesn't want to fire Gunther (sp?), maybe a petition could be circulated to allow a separate band leader with a fire like Robkin solely for the basketball HawgWild Band...or maybe someone could talk Gunther into allowing a student with this type of passion to lead the way. 

Regardless, the comments about bringing a new fire to the basketball arena with our firey new coach are spot on!  We need to give Coach P the backing, tools and resources to be successful, including strong fan support and a band "experience" that creates a real home court advantage.
"From the start/ She knew she had it made/ Easy up 'til then/ For sure she'd make the grade/ Adorers came in hordes/ To lay down in her wake/ Gave it all she had/ But treasures slowly fade.

Now she's falling hard/ Feels the fall of dark/ How did this fall apart?/ She drinks to fill it up/ A smile of sweetest flowers/ Wilted so and soured/ Black tears stain the cheeks/ That once were so admired.

She thinks when she was small/ There on her father's knee/ How he had promised her,/ "You'll always be my baby."

"Daddy come quick,/ The dreaming tree has died/ I can't find my way home/ There is no place to hide/ The dreaming tree has died."

Soooie21

Hog lite

Can we get a petition started on hogville to get Robkin back?  

Brer Hog

Quote from: Hog lite on April 16, 2007, 08:25:59 am
Can we get a petition started on hogville to get Robkin back?  

I'd sign it!  I was there for Robken's majic and Nolan's early years in the Barn.  If we can't get Robken, this thread should be mandatory reading for whomever is chosen to resurrect the HogWild Band and for Coach Pelphrey.  Surely 19,000 could become equally as intimidating as 11,000, if whipped up a little. 

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on April 11, 2007, 04:43:20 pm
The thing that video doesn't show is that the band would hold that last note on the WTO until robken got back to conduct it.  Sometimes he'd be way up in the rafters on the other side of the arena, and the thing would just go on and on with the crowd going even more nuts.

That's what I liked best. When he'd get too far from the band toward the end of the Wm Tell...they'd be holding that last note and we'd all say "Damn Robkin...you're gonna have to haul some ass to get back for this one..." Great stuff.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hog inAustin

Quote from: RazorbackDude on April 11, 2007, 04:11:46 pm
Back when Eddie Sutton was coach, we had a man named Jim Robken who lead the HogWild Band. That man must have lived on sugar and caffeine. He had so much energy.  He would get the band playing and then run around Barnhill Arena getting everybody worked up to a frenzy!   I wonder if anyone knows where he is at these days.  It would be great to have someone like that again......

The guy was a riot and really got things going!  You couldn't sit on your hands when he took charge...WPS!

RedSatinHog

How could anyone from the Sutton era NOT remember Jim Robkin?
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

secfan30

Quote from: theman22 on April 11, 2007, 07:14:26 pm
yes I do remember robkin I was just a little kid at barnhill. That was the first time I said HELL in front of my dad when the band and crowd would chant we going to beat the Hell out of you.

LOL!!! Funny you said this, becuase it was my first time saying anything like that in front of my dad too. When it got to that part, my dad did not say it and I did. I looked up at him and he acted like he did not even hear it. Man the memories.

hog 47

Someone should try to get Jim back. He was the most wonderful, loving, full of energy person I ever saw. Go Hogs Go

NMMIHog

He definately should get an "assist" for making Hog Basketball what it was and will once again be.

mr4pt

Would he come back?

I don't know the man, I'm just askin'....

Hoggywentacourtin

He is either at southwest louisianna or louisianna tech.

TruthHog

I've read every post in this thread. The people who experienced what energy this guy brought to the games understand the kind of alchemy at play. I was darned lucky to see a lot of it from the Barnhill stands.

Robken was fantastic. A part of Hogs lore.
Calmer than you are.

The Kid

Shook hands with the man after one of his famous jaunts around Barnhill.

He stopped by our group and thanked us for being so rowdy, even during a cakewalk game.

I was a student at the time, circa 1984.
Let's get the train back on the tracks.

skybo53

I see him in Ruston, LA at LA Tech games... reminds me to the good ole days.....

razorbass

Ex-Trumpet

Good times!!  JR is by far the best pep band leader in the world!  My tenure there in the mid-80's was highlighted by seeing him work--and it was work--and play every day (and, yes, many of the party rumors are true!!)  He didn't get the respect from many other staff in the music dept but his talents were very apparent at every basketball game--football too.

I'm not sure how to express a longing for the past without running down the current staff, but...JR is what the UA and BWA need!! 

If we can pay TCTWF $3.5M to leave, what can we afford to pay Jim Robken to return?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Oklahawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 06, 2008, 04:58:31 pm
Good times!!  JR is by far the best pep band leader in the world!  My tenure there in the mid-80's was highlighted by seeing him work--and it was work--and play every day (and, yes, many of the party rumors are true!!)  He didn't get the respect from many other staff in the music dept but his talents were very apparent at every basketball game--football too.

I'm not sure how to express a longing for the past without running down the current staff, but...JR is what the UA and BWA need!! 

If we can pay TCTWF $3.5M to leave, what can we afford to pay Jim Robken to return?

If ladder sales continue to surge we're a lot closer than you think!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Uncle_dad

Legalsax

QuoteI was in the band there the year we went to the Orange Bowl and played Oklahoma (Jan. 87).  We took I don't know how many charter busses down to Miami and I was fortunate enough to ride on Robkin's bus.  The man was a hoot.  I wish we had the energy now that he provided then.

Me too... man that was a looooooooooooooong trip. I remember we spent NYE at some cheap bar with a Tiki Hut motif next door to the cheap ass motel somewhere north of Miami that they put the band in. What a great underage drunk-fest that night was!!!
"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Oklahawg

Quote from: Legalsax on February 06, 2008, 05:32:38 pm
Me too... man that was a looooooooooooooong trip. I remember we spent NYE at some cheap bar with a Tiki Hut motif next door to the cheap ass motel somewhere north of Miami that they put the band in. What a great underage drunk-fest that night was!!!

You say it like it was a bad thing... :)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Legalsax

Not at all!!! I think I'm still hung over 20 years later!!!

LMAO...

;D

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

BadDogGHSDogPound

I was one that never got to experience Robkin at a game in person, but grew up knowing who he was and seeing it on tv. I totally agree, let's bring him back! All of you have ton a great job of being positive here building the picture of the excitement and passion he brought to the games. Let's build off that, get the movement going. I have to believe if the moneys right, we can get him. The Razorback Nation has roared this last year to take back OUR programs on the Hill. Someone start up a website..put a online petition on it. Let others write about their memories on there and let's start hitting the NEW powers that be with it.

GO HOGS!
2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2023 State Football Champions Greenwood Bulldogs. Follow The Bulldogs On www.GreenwoodDogPound.com

bootzilla

He was GREAT!  He had it down to a science - he knew when the team needed the crowd... and he knew how to inspire the crowd.  What a fantastic job that man did.

rutman

Jim Robken certainly did a great job back in the day.  Band directing and coaching aren't the same, as in, they don't jump around the country as much.  I suspect the success Jim has enjoyed at LaTech has made him comfortable with his job and family.  Another thing many of you don't understand is BW is not just twice as big as the Barn.  It's more like 3 or 4 times the size.  It's tons of cubic feet.  That's almost impossible for a band of any size to make sound like Barnhill.  Barnhell was 9,000 seats crammed into a space large enough for about 5,000 people.  BW is a nice comfortable place for all the social types to be able to get there late and leave early.  Fill that place up with 20,000 "regular folks" and more students and you'd see one huge difference.  The only way to recreate Barnhell is to play the games there.  Quit talking about firing someone you don't even know in order to buy someone else you only remember.  Wanting someone else to get everyone fired up seems to be everybody's problem.  Get your a$$ to the games and get those people off their hands and start screaming for those HOGS, dammit!  It becomes a feeding frenzy.  Of course, that's just my opinion, you understand.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: rutman on February 06, 2008, 08:19:23 pm
Jim Robken certainly did a great job back in the day.  Band directing and coaching aren't the same, as in, they don't jump around the country as much.  I suspect the success Jim has enjoyed at LaTech has made him comfortable with his job and family.  Another thing many of you don't understand is BW is not just twice as big as the Barn.  It's more like 3 or 4 times the size.  It's tons of cubic feet.  That's almost impossible for a band of any size to make sound like Barnhill.  Barnhell was 9,000 seats crammed into a space large enough for about 5,000 people.  BW is a nice comfortable place for all the social types to be able to get there late and leave early.  Fill that place up with 20,000 "regular folks" and more students and you'd see one huge difference.  The only way to recreate Barnhell is to play the games there.  Quit talking about firing someone you don't even know in order to buy someone else you only remember.  Wanting someone else to get everyone fired up seems to be everybody's problem.  Get your a$$ to the games and get those people off their hands and start screaming for those HOGS, dammit!  It becomes a feeding frenzy.  Of course, that's just my opinion, you understand.

I guess you're assuming that many of us here don't know Tim Gunter or Jim Robken?

As far as playing in Barnhill, I always thought that it was a better (but less profitable) venue...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rutman

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 06, 2008, 08:48:25 pm
I guess you're assuming that many of us here don't know Tim Gunter or Jim Robken?

As far as playing in Barnhill, I always thought that it was a better (but less profitable) venue...

I don't believe I named anyone specifically.  It's obvious that many posters don't know how the band director job really works as far as what they do outside of the 2 hours or so of game time they are in public view. I wouldn't expect them to.  I do know both Jim and Tim and consider them my friends and colleagues.  I am familiar with how they run a band program as well as their talents as educators.  Posts with personal opinions about one's preference as a pep band director should not include references to someone being a lousy excuse for a band director.  And you are correct, except for a one point win over LSU back in the "May-Day" era, I have a hard time remembering any game that came close to the "Barnhill Experience".