Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Love the basketball team and MA.. BUT......

Started by synthartist69, November 18, 2017, 04:11:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

synthartist69

There is just one tiny thing that I wish could change...."Fastest 40 minutes of basketball" slogan. UGH   40 minutes of HELL sounded so good but I guess in today's world that is considered offensive. Blah

rusvegashog

Man I really thought this was gonna be another crap thread. Wa wa and what not, but I agree with the O.P. wholeheartedly.

BrooklynRoss

I'd say the world we currently live in is actually more accepting of casual light profanity than the 90's. Am I missing something?
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

hogwood

I notice some of the players still say 40 minutes of hell. I'm sure it's still used, just not the brand the university puts out. So maybe it is a political thing, which is stupid. What was the slogan at Mizzou? UAB? Has it always been "Fastest 40"?

Hogimus Prime

40 minutes of Gafford posterizing people would be a good one

hawkhawg

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on November 18, 2017, 04:36:49 pm
I'd say the world we currently live in is actually more accepting of casual light profanity than the 90's. Am I missing something?

In my experience you are right.  also I would love to go back to 40 minute of Hell

Rbill

Good point. I am officially making this my number 1 issue for choosing a new AD. Let's make it happen.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: synthartist69 on November 18, 2017, 04:11:34 pm
There is just one tiny thing that I wish could change...."Fastest 40 minutes of basketball" slogan. UGH   40 minutes of HELL sounded so good but I guess in today's world that is considered offensive. Blah

They stopped out of respect to Nolan because we haven't bared any resemblance to that since the early 90''s.

We play in the era of the "TOUCH FOUL" and 15 TV & Team timeouts. Momentum can no longer be sustainable venture because were forced to see a 15 second ad about a drug who use is barely more beneficial than it's side effects.

I can forsee it's name (40 minutes of hell) make a return once the court is re-named and some of the good ole boys offended by Coach Richardson pass away.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hog of steele

Yes. Go watch a movie for teenagers from the 90's. Way more foul language and sexual innuendo than you will have now. I was surprised to discover this.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Rbill on November 18, 2017, 05:35:52 pm
Good point. I am officially making this my number 1 issue for choosing a new AD. Let's make it happen.

You should start a petition!!!
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Cinco de Hogo

I don't and never have used foul language and it still sounds good to me.  Bring it back! 😎

tennesseehogwild

Hoggish1

Way better than 40 minutes of Pell!

Junkyard Hog

rwspear

if yall would ever listen to MA youd know why #Fastest40 is not the same thing as #40minutes

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: rwspear on November 18, 2017, 10:00:34 pm
if yall would ever listen to MA youd know why #Fastest40 is not the same thing as #40minutes

Well could you explain that for us?

rwspear

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 18, 2017, 10:03:27 pm
Well could you explain that for us?

Simply put, Fastest 40 is about offensive philosophy. 40 minutes of hell was more of a defensive idea.

popcornhog

People seem more easily offended today than 25 years ago to me.
WPS

Birminghog

Hugo Bezdek

Long is out. Time to bring back 40 Minutes of Hell.

Hugo Bezdek

hobhog

The vendor/food selection in BWA is worse thn football. That's saying something.

hobhog

Quote from: rwspear on November 18, 2017, 10:00:34 pm

What tha.....

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: rwspear on November 18, 2017, 10:05:52 pm
Simply put, Fastest 40 is about offensive philosophy. 40 minutes of hell was more of a defensive idea.

Does that mean it can't be "hell" as they say just because the sentence isn't finished.

HogMantheIntruder

40 Minutes of Purgatory??

CMA wanted to start his own thing, from what I understand. That being said, I think it would be a brilliant PR move to reintroduce 40 Minutes of Hell, with Nolan's blessing, beginning this season. A sort of official passing of the torch, maybe even with an accompanying ceremony.

This team, along with what's in the pipeline, should usher in a new era of Arkansas basketball, which we all hope will be reminiscent of Nolan's heyday. I would LOVE to see the return of 40 Minutes of Hell, especially now that we can back it up. Great recruiting tool, too.

Why not start a petition? I think it would be seen as high praise by Mike and the team.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

MountieDawg

SEC!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hobhog on November 18, 2017, 10:43:42 pm
The vendor/food selection in BWA is worse thn football. That's saying something.

Eat before
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

SardisHog

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."<br />- Robin Williams

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: hogwood on November 18, 2017, 04:49:15 pm
I notice some of the players still say 40 minutes of hell. I'm sure it's still used, just not the brand the university puts out. So maybe it is a political thing, which is stupid. What was the slogan at Mizzou? UAB? Has it always been "Fastest 40"?

Just go back to 40 minutes of hell...I'm with you on the fastest 40 minutes it just doesn't roll of your tongue like the original.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 19, 2017, 11:50:36 am
I like Hell  better BECAUSE it offends the politically correct people.  LOL
Ditto but in this world everybody is offended by everything so call it the original! And PLEASE DON'T LOSE TO BLOW U!

synthartist69

40 minutes of HELL sounds so good, I loved it back in the day. We would be down 17-1 against Kentucky. Then Nolan would give the team the 40 minutes of Hell signal and suddenly it was Arkansas 27, Kentucky 25.... out of nowhere... the good ol days... yeah I'm getting old...

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on November 18, 2017, 05:02:44 pm
40 minutes of Gafford posterizing people would be a good one
As long as Gafford keeps playing like this, I propose we change our slogan to,

40 Minutes of "Hell, yes!"

rwspear

Quote from: hobhog on November 18, 2017, 10:44:57 pm
What tha.....

different coach, different philosophy. if you think we play EXACTLY the same ball as we did in 94 you either didnt watch in 94, you dont watch now, or you dont watch basketball at all.

rwspear

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on November 18, 2017, 10:53:34 pm
Does that mean it can't be "hell" as they say just because the sentence isn't finished.

i don't care what what were called. i was just offering a point of information.

rusvegashog

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: rwspear on November 19, 2017, 01:46:08 pm
different coach, different philosophy. if you think we play EXACTLY the same ball as we did in 94 you either didnt watch in 94, you dont watch now, or you dont watch basketball at all.

No we don't play at the defensive end like Nolan's teams played.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on November 19, 2017, 05:16:39 pm
No we don't play at the defensive end like Nolan's teams played.
We can't. The NCAA is constantly finding ways to insert themselves deeper into the games with more rules and tighter officiating. If the 94 team played today like they did back then (and that was not a dirty team), they wouldn't make it past the Sweet 16 because of foul trouble and free throws for the other teams. It's rare to see more than one or two trips up and down the court without a whistle these days.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Maybe he wanted his own branding and not Nolan's deal...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Wooderson

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 19, 2017, 05:52:15 pm
Maybe he wanted his own branding and not Nolan's deal...

This.  Mike started it to make his own brand.  To step out of Nolan's shadow.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

HawgnCorona

I agree and play like that...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8