Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

food plot photos

Started by 195bc, May 07, 2008, 08:46:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

195bc

May 07, 2008, 08:46:16 pm Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 08:55:13 pm by 195bc
These are pics of different forages in my plots near Russellville. Some look good, some are OK, some aren't so good. But I guess that's the point of testing. There are several other forages that I didn't take pics of - festulolium, forage turnips, ryegrass, red clover.

An alfalfa variety that is easier to manage and suitable for grazing:

A quality ladino variety:

small burnet, a forage that is just starting to gain popularity because it grows in various tough conditions, high quality, also some chicory in this photo:

a chicory variety, no verdict yet from me on its performance:

Another pic of a different ladino variety, also looks good:

Dwarf essex rape, cheap variety, nothing special, it's flowering now:

A wider view of the rape flowering, the forage turnips look similar right now:

Buck Forage oats that were planted in September, this is actually my Illinois site, didn't put them in Arkansas this year.

Going in in the next week - a new Roundup Ready corn hybrid, viney peas, a new Roundup Ready soybean variety, and maybe a few other things.

wendellgee

Good stuff growing there. That clover looks like it's on roids :)

195bc

You're right, ladino varieties are getting bigger. It helps a lot when the soil pH is 6.5-7.0 and it's fertilized.
You should see some of our new red clover varieties. They are huge. I'm surprised the stem is strong enough to hold it up with leaves so big. I'll try to post pics when the plot is established. Just planted it last month. It actually will look similar to that ladino.

HogBreath

If you need someone to go up to Illinois and patrol that stand of Buck Forage Oats and shoot any huge bucks trying to eat some of it, let me know.  I work fairly cheap.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

195bc

Hogbreath, you're more than welcome to hunt the oats. That's not where the deer were through gun season. But you'll have a good view of of me shooting a big buck.

The biggest we've killed (my partner at the site killed it) was 192 net, 189 gross. The number of deer we seen (and a couple missed and a couple killed) between 130 and 180 would make you sick to live in Arkansas. We found a pretty good shed last month, scored close to 140 last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see it add 20 inches or more.

HogBreath

Quote from: 195bc on May 08, 2008, 02:15:24 pm
Hogbreath, you're more than welcome to hunt the oats. That's not where the deer were through gun season. But you'll have a good view of of me shooting a big buck.

The biggest we've killed (my partner at the site killed it) was 192 net, 189 gross. The number of deer we seen (and a couple missed and a couple killed) between 130 and 180 would make you sick to live in Arkansas. We found a pretty good shed last month, scored close to 140 last year. I wouldn't be surprised to see it add 20 inches or more.

Maybe I could set up where I could watch both those plots for ya, anything to help out a good friend.

Seriously, I had a chance to get acquainted with those Illinois behemoths last year.  Not hunting, just observing, but they were freakin huge, one buck I saw would have honestly made about two of the bucks I'm used to seeing.  He almost acted like he was taunting me too.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?