Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remains of 274 US Troops dumped in landfill

Started by Flying Razorback, December 08, 2011, 10:47:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Razorback

This is sick.

http://news.yahoo.com/remains-274-us-troops-dumped-landfill-report-081234306.html

I am sick to my stomach over this, I am furious, and I am very disappointed in my service and the lack of leadership.  Many heads should roll over this.

Coming home with honor, and the respect and dignity of me after I die for my country is the fundamental foundation that makes you stand up and charge an uncertain situation.  Once that foundation is shaken, it's hard to get it back.

I can't believe this happened to those fallen heroes.

Here's to them, a toast to the host.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

Ftsmithmike

"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

DOGALUM

December 09, 2011, 02:33:59 am #2 Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:36:12 am by DOGALUM
Unbelievable.....unacceptable. 
heads should indeed roll.....anyone who had any knowledge of this.....truly sickening.

Those in command should be ashamed and obviously have no appreciation for sacrifice.

This country owes the families of those heros an apology and so much more.
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

DOGALUM

darned USAF!  The United States Navy would never let this happen......Lord I hope not.

Flying Razorback

Quote from: DOGALUM on December 09, 2011, 02:33:59 am
Unbelievable.....unacceptable. 
heads should indeed roll.....anyone who had any knowledge of this.....truly sickening.

Those in command should be ashamed and obviously have no appreciation for sacrifice.

This country owes the families of those heros an apology and so much more.

I'm very upset.  All service members have an internal core belief that our country will bring us home no matter what when they send us away.  There's a very core and internal mechanism that makes us all serve, it's very similar to religious belief.  However, some of that sacred belief has been exposed to be a fraud.  That hurts.

I am still very disappointed and disgusted at the lack of leadership displayed.  There were so many better ways to handle this.  It would not have taken anything to have an internment place at Arlington for unidentified or late returning remains.

Old Tusk

This is not the first time this has happend. Every sad!
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

82abn Ard

Totally unacceptable, someone or many need to hang for this one

sooieet

What would you do with random pieces of remains that were unidentified, and not found until after the rest of the body had already been buried?  Not saying this is right, but don't know what else you could do with the fragments. 

Arctic Hog

Quote from: sooieet on December 10, 2011, 01:36:02 pm
What would you do with random pieces of remains that were unidentified, and not found until after the rest of the body had already been buried?  Not saying this is right, but don't know what else you could do with the fragments. 

I don't care if the parts are identified or not, dumping remains in a landfill with common garbage is disrespectful.  Cremate them and sprinkle the ashes off a ship or something.  Pretty much anything is better than what those idiots did at Dover.  As a 25 year, retired AF veteran, I'm ashamed for my service.

bellavistamike

You'd treat all the parts of fallen US military personnel with honor and respect, not just throwing them in the trash. Group cremation and a respectful resting place is one idea that beats the trash pile.

And yes, heads should roll over this crap. I'm the most liberal person in most of the rooms I'm in but this has nothing to do with politics. It has everything to do with honor and respect. Get it right!

Flying Razorback

Quote from: sooieet on December 10, 2011, 01:36:02 pm

I saw this same question come up in another forum I follow and I know it's a serious question.  In fact, on the form the family completes there is a box asking what the military should do if further remains are identified at a later date and I'm guessing most chose Option 2 that says they leave it to the military to deal with them appropriately.

However, like Arctic and bellavista say, there are many respectful and "appropriate" ways to deal with the disposition of remains.  There's basically no way they can claim that dumping the remains in a dumpster was the "appropriate" disposition as Option 2 led the families to believe.

My answer would be to have them scattered at sea or have some sort of group disposition place at Arlington. 

We man the tomb of the unknown soldier 24/7/365 at Arlington, we spend millions bringing home fragments and following clues in Vietnam and the Pacific, and yet at the end of the trail they thought it was right to throw them in the garbage to be dumped with the kitty litter, trash, and other debris in a landfill???

There were correct ways, and there were only a couple of wrong ways.  They straight chose a wrong way to deal with this.

snappy

On my work vehicle I have a decal stating (Proudly served USAF) now I'm not so sure!

RyanLR

Yeah that's pretty terrible. And apparently they've been doing this for years.

Ftsmithmike

Quote from: snappy on December 11, 2011, 01:07:04 pm
On my work vehicle I have a decal stating (Proudly served USAF) now I'm not so sure!

Dont throw out the baby with the bath water. Your service is still meaningful to your country.
"Here a question arises: whether it is better to be loved than feared, or the reverse. The answer is, of course, that it would be best to be both loved and feared. But since the two rarely come together, anyone compelled to choose will find greater security in being feared than in being loved."

DOGALUM

Quote from: Ftsmithmike on December 11, 2011, 10:04:27 pm
Dont throw out the baby with the bath water. Your service is still meaningful to your country.
True......even if it was in the USAF.  :)

GolfnHog

Though not a service member, nor have I ever been, this is absolutely criminal. What sickens me is that the very POS(OBL) that resulted in these brave men to die was given greater dignity in death than our very own.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Ftsmithmike

Quote from: TxRzrbak on December 15, 2011, 10:19:21 am
Though not a service member, nor have I ever been, this is absolutely criminal. What sickens me is that the very POS(OBL) that resulted in these brave men to die was given greater dignity in death than our very own.

Don't misunderstand the situation. This is a separate issue from memorialized remains. These troops received proper burial but these remains we're not identified at the time of transfer to the family. These later identified parts or perhaps unidentified should get the same care we already provide our troops. It's inexcusable to dump them but we don't want to engage in hyperbole if the goal is a policy change.