Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What would you do?

Started by AFWarrior83, May 18, 2011, 01:32:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AFWarrior83

My fellow vets (both active and retired), I have a genuine question for you.  Would you rather:

A: Retire at 20 years as Enlisted Air Force (probably as E-7 or E-8) "OR"

B: Go Blue to Green (or Navy) at 10 years TIS, and retire at 20 years TIS as an Army/Navy Officer? (probably O-3 or O-4)?

I'm asking because I've been Enlisted AF for almost 8 years, and will finish up my degree w/in my 10 year mark in the military, and want to retire comfortably.

I originally planned to commission in the AF, but failed the Quantitative portion of the AFOQT test by 1 (scored 9/needed 10).  I'm just horrible at Math, always have been...  I can take the test 1 more time, but I doubt my overall scores will be competitive enough to get selected.

That leaves me with two other commissioning options: Army or Navy.  Based off word of mouth, commissioning in the Army is easy (besides the physical training), and the Navy has less stringent test requirements to commission.  I feel confident that I can become commissioned in the Army or Navy, I just don't know if I should make the jump.

If you were in my shoes, would you leave the Air Force and the better quality of life to serve 10 years in a sister service for more retirement money "OR" stay enlisted AF, and retire at about 1/2 the pay?

I want to retire in Arkansas, and L.R.A.F.B. has my job in high demand.  Does the Army or Navy have any active bases in/around Arkansas?  I know there is Ft. Chaffee, but is it even operational?  Millington, TN (Navy) is close, but would it have my job?  What are the good Officer jobs in the Army/Navy?  The flyer's have it the best in the AF.

I'm asking for honest opinions because I know there are a lot of active duty & prior service Hogvillian's that can provide me with some usefull insight.  I still have some time to decide, but want to be proactive not reactive!

FYI: I'm 28, currently work in a Logistics field (2T2X1) and possess an Associates Degree (CCAF) in Transportation Management.  I'll also complete my Bachelor's degree in Business Management through a regionally accredited university.

I read that there are some age/time stipulations, but that they can be waivered if I need to go that route.

Thanks to anyone that can provide me with some helpful advice.

Very Respectfully,
Marc  ;)
Hogville member since 2005.

TeufelHog

If you can hack it, the U.S. Marine Corps is looking for a "few good men."   Call an Officer Selection Officer for another option beside the Army, Navy and Air Force. 

To answer your question though . . . either way, you are in a "no-lose" situation.  Questions you have to come to terms with are:  How well you enjoy your current enlisted occupational specialty?   If you have a family . . . what is best for them?  How important to you is the retirement pay (will be significant in comparison)?  Keep in mind though, money isn't everything.

BiggieHawg

I'm not sure the Navy bases around Ar are for much more than recruiting.  I'm in a somewhat similar situation, I enlisted with my degree with the plan of getting PRK and putting in a flight package.  A year in and I'm still in school, so my plans are getting a bit pushed back but I'm still optimistic.  I know that the AF is the hardest to rank up, and it's getting harder in the Navy so if ease of accession is your biggest worry the Army might be where to go.  When all else fails though, call someone and ask.
I am a United States Sailor.
I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America and I will obey the orders of those appointed over me. 
I represent the fighting spirit of the the Navy and those who have gone before me to defend freedom and democracy around the world.
I proudly serve my country's Navy combat team with Honor, Courage and Commitment.
I am committed to excellence and the fair treatment of all.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It.

Old Tusk

A big unknown is how defense cuts will effect manning in the various services.
The Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the crabgrass out of our lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, and then they get elected and prove it....P.J. O'Rourke

kkbrody

Have you considered going guard? You could try to Palace Chase into the LR unit, then get commissioned.

Ragnar Hogbrok

8)Go Army warrant officer.  You'll be an officer, but you won't lose your soul or your brain "playing the game" to advance your career.  Don't know what your enlisted job is, but there may be a warrant officer MOS that applies.  Or you could always go aviation like the best of us.  8)
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

1CavHog

WHITEPW

I was enlisted in the army made E-7 SFC and then went Warrant officer for my MOS in the army.  I have enjoyed the switch but finding army/navy active duty around Arkansas is tough.  I am stationed at Ft. Sill Which is about 3 hrs away.  This is as close as I have ever been, enjoying being so close.  Good luck in whatever you choose.

hawgsav1

As a Naval Officer, I say go Navy.  However, I may be slightly biased. ;)
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Flying Razorback

I'm an Air Force officer and love it.  I'm operational so I don't have my soul sucked away by too much of the mindless queep you find from some officer career fields.

The problem with going officer is you WILL have to PCS to other bases much more often than being enlisted.  You don't really have much say in which base you'll go to next besides the dream sheet and then you get sent to wherever when they bounce that against the needs of the Air Force.  It's a lot easier to hunker down somewhere enlisted than as an officer.  As this applies to Little Rock AFB, the only way you can guarantee yourself a shot there is by being commissioned in to the Arkansas Air National Guard.  Otherwise you're going to be at the mercy of the Air Force and could end up in Japan or somewhere that is not Arkansas.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

hawgsav1

Btw, as far as promotions go, it's going to be hard to get that bump to O-4 in just 10 years (unless you get the retirement bump), at least in the Navy.  One of the guys I work with is in basically your situation, and he's been at O-3 for almost 8 years now, and probably won't get that bump to O-4 until he's finished his 20 and forced out.

Also, the only stuff you'd get close by Navy-wise in or around Arkansas is just recruiting gigs.  If you want to do that, then fine, but you're probably going to have to do a sea-tour or two once you commission, even if you do something like Supply (and then even afterwards, you probably will be close to one of the big bases, even if you're not doing sea tours).  Millington is just personnel management.  Also, getting in has become a lot more competitive as of late, even for junk stuff like SWO (I sort of apologize to any SWOs out there ;).  OCS isn't bad, but it isn't a joke (If I remember correctly, we lost 25 people out of a class of 60).

TLFHAWG

Stay in the Air Force and make Chief or get a math tutor and bust that tests ass. Stay in the Air Force.

Bugscuffle

Whatever you decide to do, look further down the road than your 20. What are your plans after retirement? Does your MOS/career field translate well to civilian life? If not, either hit the books to complete an undergrad and graduate degree before retiring or switch career fields. Most of us were not forward looking enough to save the kind of money it takes to "retire."

I spent 20 years in the Army, retired as a SFC. I have a decent paying job, but that is only because I finished my degrees before retiring. There is not a big calling for a JSTARS imagery analyst on the civilian side.  ;)

hogginbama

All posts here are solid sound advice. The biggest thing is to look at your individual situation and decide what is best for your and your family. You want to look at the promotion aspects of your current MOS in the AF for both enlisted and officer. Also compare the promotional stats for the other branches. As someone said earlier, more money is not always the happiest thing. What ever you do, plan for the future and make sure you can retire when you want to.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

hawgsav1

One thing you may want to be careful of is that they're considering revamping the 20 year clause to change it that you don't get the full 50% benefits, so if it gets passed you may not be grandfathered in if you go for a commission.  Just a thought.