Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

On this night in 1944

Started by Yoko Oinko, December 24, 2010, 06:05:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoko Oinko

December 24, 2010, 06:05:25 pm Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 11:06:38 pm by Yoko Oinko
On this night in 1944 my dad was in a frozen foxhole south of Bastogne at the Battle of the Bulge.  He was later wounded in an artillery attack, got frost bite, and trench foot.  He survived the misery of the war, married a pretty girl from Arkansas and had three sons.  He loved the Hogs.

A warm and heart-felt Merry Christmas to all of our servicemen and women who are away from their home and family tonight.   
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

HF#1

Great lil story...  Same to ya pal! :razorback:
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pigs Been Fly

all those old timers BRAVEST MEN WHO EVER LIVED

merry christmas to all you guy's away from home

much love

Shag66

Amen!  The certainly were the Greatest Generation...

and Merry christmas and Happy Holidays to all our servicemen and women that are away from their homes this year...

ronmahony

Great story, I'd love to meet him sometime. +1
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: Yoko Oinko on December 24, 2010, 06:05:25 pm
On this night in 1944 my dad was in a frozen foxhole south of Bastogne at the Battle of the Bulge.  He was later wounded in an artillery attack, got frost bite, and trench foot.  He survived the misery of the war, married a pretty girl from Arkansas and had three sons.  He loved the Hogs.

A warm and heart-felt Merry Christmas to all of our servicemen and women who are away from their home and family tonight.  

He and many like him are the reason we aren't eating kraut and exclaining Zeig Heil. If he's still alive give much thanks from the H-n-R family. I love these stories and to all servicemen out there,both past and present, Keep your head down,powder dry and come home soon,MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

Doyle Hograves

Great story, and I echo your sentiments on all our service men and women....

Was your father's unit portrayed in Band of Brothers, just out of curiosity?
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

ammohog

As a member of the USAF I've given a lot of thought to the sacrifices of the men and women that served in previous generations.  The things that they endured in the name of freedom are astounding and I can't imagine what the world would be like without these valiant individuals. They truly are HEROS!  Their bravery in the face of death is what built this country.  Thanks to your father for his service.  He truly helped shape the future of our nation.
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S

GTOWNHOG

AWESOME!  My DAD was a WWII Disabled Vet with Purple Heart, Bronze Star and other awards.  He was a  proud 1949 graduate of the University of Arkansas.  He loved his University.  He took me to my FIRST Razorback game in 1960.  He also served as Mayor of Parkin for 8 years.  I miss my DAD.    This may be inappropriate for this board, but TO MY DAD......Thank you for being my DAD and thank you for making me a Razorback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

LZH

Amen.

On this night in 1943 my Dad was drydocked at Purvis Bay after the U.S.S. Foote took a hit from a Japanese torpedo on 11-2-43 at the Battle of Empress Augusta Bay...19 of his shipmates were lost.  God bless you brother and God bless America.

BA Hogwild

Thank you for your Dads service and all who are serving. Just read about Germans and Americans calling a truce on Christmas eve. Some sang hymns and others actually exchanged gifts. Tis the season.
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

Yoko Oinko

Quote from: ArkieRebel on December 24, 2010, 06:44:46 pm
Great story, and I echo your sentiments on all our service men and women....

Was your father's unit portrayed in Band of Brothers, just out of curiosity?

Here's the story of Dad.  He was born in 1923 in a little village near Bordeaux, France.  His father was a veteran of the French Army and a survivor of Verdun.  Dad's aunt was a nurse during the Great War and met and married an American Dough Boy from Little Rock who was wounded at Chateau Thierry in 1918.  They never had children, but they would bring Dad to America during the summers for vacation.  One summer in 1939 WWII started and Dad was stuck over here.  By 1940, France was over run by the Germans and Dad lost contact with his parents.  Dad enrolled in American schools and was basically taken in by his aunt and uncle.  By 1942, when he graduated from East Orange, NJ High School he wanted to join up.  His aunt wouldn't let him do it so he ran off to Canada to join the Royal Canadian Army.  His Uncle, who by now was re-called into the Army Signal Corps tracked him down and dragged him back to NJ. 

Dad went one semester to Hendrix in Conway when a law was enacted that if you were a refugee from an occupied country you could join the American army and thus, become an American citizen.

Dad joined up, and at Camp Croft, SC  in the summer of 1943 on the rifle range, he became an American citizen.

Dad was 20 years-old when he went in with the 29th on the 2nd wave at Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944.  He was badly wounded.  Dad told me that when he was in an England hospital that Bing Crosby came by and sang "I'll Be Home for Christmas" for the guys.  He told that story with tears in his eyes.

Dad became a victim of the Army's "repo depot."  A system where wounded soldiers weren't returned to their original unit, but to a bunch of strangers.  He fought with the 35th most of the rest of the war.  He was at the liberation of Nancy, crossed the Rhine, and saw the death camps.

Several years after the war, Dad got a draft notice from the French army.  At the time, they were knee deep in Vietnam and Algeria.  Dad told them, "Don't you think I've done enough for France?"  They wrote back, "Oui."

"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

BigoBoys

EastTexasHog

Wow!  That is certainly a great story and something to be proud of.  What a service your dad provided to our country.

earlenehawg

My Dad was at Mussilini's Dairy Farm with the U.S. army. He had a cameo ring and bracelet carved for my grand-mother while there that I still have, she wore the ring until the day she died.  I wish they had buried it with her

trollhog

Thanks for the stories guys.  God bless and Merry Christmas.
WPS!

4thdownnutt

I had an uncle captured @ the bulge.   Real men back then.

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

HogBreath

My dad drove a truck in the 3rd Army, he never saw any of the heavy fighting, mostly Germans trying to surrender.  After the defeat of the Germans, they were preparing the 3rd Army to go to the Pacific theatre, and Patton was being relieved of his command, Patton told the troops that he wouldn't be going with them, but for them to stick their bayonets up the Jap's a#&, and twist it sideways.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

rickm1976

My uncle drove a tank in the third army.  While they were on the way to relieve the paratroopers at Bastogne,  they were traveling up a row between some trees when somebody screamed "STOP!".  My uncle hit the brakes, and a German 88 shell glanced off the front of the tank.  If he hadn't stopped, the shell would have hit them broadside and killed the whole crew.  My uncle asked which one of them saw the gun and hollered stop, but none of them had.  My uncle and his crew all believed it was an angel.

Hoggish1

All the best to you, too, Hog Fan!

Hogsooey

Thanks for sharing Yoko Oinko.  Wonderful story.

North hog

Pretty interesting.  My dad got shot down on Christmas day in 1944 flying bombing runs in the battle of the bulge in a B-26.  He was a POW until liberated in the spring of '45.  He came home and married an Arkansas girl from Stamps.  I am the last of six kids and still remember his stories today...A very brave generation of Americans..

jmingram911

Wonderful stories of real American heroes!  Thanks!

jep_hog_fan

I salute yours and all war heroes.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

snoblind

Excellent stories, thanks for getting this started Yoko.  I don't know exactly where my dad was Christmas Eve, 1944.  His big fights were still ahead of him, including Pelilu.  A few months back I found a stash of B&W pictures I never knew existed from the Pacific War.  Sure wish my Dad was alive to ask him about them.

A holiday thought for those who still have their parents alive,  take advantage of it while you can, it doesn't last forever.         

TexHog188

My dad was there as well. Part of the 634 tank destroyer battalion assigned to the 1st Infantry Division. Recon platoon. He was 5'7", 155 lbs and the bravest man I will ever know.  I miss you dad.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Ugly Uncle

My favorite thread ever. I can't get enough of these stories.
Retired Radio Host

Shag66

My Great Uncle was blown off a Jeep on Omaha the day after D-Day...  When my cousin and her family went to France on a vacation a few years ago, they went to the D-Day memorial and to the beaches and graves...  Brought back a ton of pics...

Sitting on the porch with my Great Uncle looking at those pictures with him was tough.  Still brought a tear to his eyes. 

Gotigers08

On this night in 1944 My Grandfather was liberating Leyte.  He was in the 96th Deadeye Infantry.  I miss him very much!  Sorry i dont have a story.  1500 wounded and 500+ killed Deadeyes in the battles at Leyte.  That says alot!  What a bunch of great men!

EastTexasHog

The Great Hambino

Quote from: snoblind on December 24, 2010, 10:14:57 pm
Excellent stories, thanks for getting this started Yoko.  I don't know exactly where my dad was Christmas Eve, 1944.  His big fights were still ahead of him, including Pelilu.  A few months back I found a stash of B&W pictures I never knew existed from the Pacific War.  Sure wish my Dad was alive to ask him about them.

A holiday thought for those who still have their parents alive,  take advantage of it while you can, it doesn't last forever.        

I would really like it if you could scan these pictures and put them online for the rest of us historians to see. If you are unable to do this I would be happy to do it for you. I have access to the best Xerox scanners money can lease (they are too expensive to buy). PM me if this is something you are interested in. This truly was the greatest generation. My father fought in Vietnam. The horrors he tells of that are not appropriate to repeat publicly. It did inspire me to get a History degree from the UofA, though, and I've studied everything from major wars to middle eastern cultural history.

10thPlanet

LZH

USS Foote DD511 - Fletcher Class Destroyer Squadron 23

Hit by Japanese torpedo at the outset of the Battle of Empress Bay, at 2:45am 11-2-43, lost 19 sailors and 54 feet of the fantail blown off.  A smokescreen from another tin can (probably the USS Thatcher) likely prevented another hit and the sinking of the ship.  The Foote was towed into Espirito Santo drydock by the Bobalink (towed for days in Japanese waters with no power, no depth charges, and no cover).

My Dad was down in the engine room that night when a kid named Alton Watts came in and told him to go up on deck as he was taking over for him, due to Japanese subs reportedly in the area and a Japanese surface force not too far away.  He told Watts that he had been ordered to stay put, but Watts yelled "dammit Arkie, I said get your skinny ass up top right now!"

As Dad was leaving, he just so happened to see his friend Ernest Benson from Toledo laid up between the torpedo tubes sleeping, believe it or not.  Dad told him "get up, I think there are Japs in the water".  So Benson and my Dad went topside together, and less than five minutes later everyone in the engine room was killed when the torpedo hit, including Alton Watts.  Daddy told me many times that about all he could remember after hearing "torpedo wake, starboard side!", was Benson crawling around looking for his shoes, having been literally blown out of them.

In the mid '80's, the crew members and their families began to have annual reunions in different cities around the country.  Our first year was 1989.  I got to be there as Dad reconnected with people he hadn't seen for 40 years (including Ernest Benson and Mrs. Margie), and each year during the memorial service (always held on water) we said a prayer for those 19 men and especially for Alton Watts, who was just 19 when he, knowingly or not, saved my Dad's life.  We were able to meet Watt's family in 1994 at the Philadelphia reunion, and it was really something.  I'm soooo lucky I was able to be a part of all that, and for my Dad and his old shipmates to share those things with me.

Dad passed in June of 2000, but I still keep in touch with the few old swabs that are left, as well as their kids and grandkids and great-grandkids.  I think it's pretty damn neat because I don't really know of anyone, especially around my age (43), that has been able to learn from and be so close to men from that generation and had the chance to appreciate their contributions to the life I live today.

SC Hogfan

I've got a respect for that group of guys (ALL of our WW2 vets) that is above all others.  Just lost my grandpa a couple years ago.  He never spoke to me about the war or even mentioned that he was in until the day I got back from basic training.  He opened up and told me stories that made us both tear up.
Those guys went through hell for all of us.  They don't make them like that any more.  Today is a day to send up a prayer to God to take extra care of those guys and tell them "NUTS!"  They'll be glad to know we're thinkin of em!
American by birth.
Southern by the grace of God.
And a Razorback till I die.
WPS!

Kevin

My grandfather drove a jeep onto the beach omaha, 2nd wave.  He was also, in 3rd Army at the Battle of the Bulge.

God Bless, all who have fought and all who are serving.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

94 Hawg

thanks everyone for sharing these great stories with us. that generation has my eternal respect.
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Hardman

My dad's Christmas 1944

Vicious and intense firing erupted about 2200.  The front awoke to the thump and shattering growl of the artillery smashing at the concentrating German troops.  The Germans were hit by the 334th's counterattack at 0100 (Christmas Day), which was preceded by a violent twenty-minute preparation.  It seemed strange to be killing men on Christmas but we forgot about it and bent to the task.  Intensified shelling kept up the rest of the night as huge concentrations of harassing fire battered the already mauled woods and draws to the front of the division.  Howitzer tubes seemingly groped and fingered for the targets, pausing only to strike with tons of explosives, and then moving on to somewhere else.

When dawn finally came we had a chance to check ammunition expenditures.  The battery had fired 475 rounds on the 24th; still the pitiless firing went on.  Now and then we got a break for twenty minutes or more.  The going was tough for both the infantry and supporting arms because we were slugging it out with a crack unit of the Fifth Panzer Army, the 116th Panzer Division.  It took more than two or three volleys per battalion to stop the attackers; seven or eight was the usual dose.  At any rate we were giving as good as we were getting.

Sporadic firing continued the rest of the day.  Artillery lashed out with startling suddenness at targets of opportunity.  Christmas dinner featured turkey and all the trimmings, in a mess kit.  The officers also brought out their liquor ration and distributed it to the battery, under the supervision of the 1st Sgt. Though each man who wanted some only got about "one finger's worth"; it was better than none at all.  The roar of the howitzers provided Christmas music.  Up where men lived by seconds of time, the 84th's doughs spent a nasty day cleaning up the Germans holding Verdenne.

327th FA Bn 84th Infantry Div.

BPsTheMan

Oinko, my great Uncle Ralph was there around your Dad somewhere. He died a few decades back, so I don't know the specifics. But he was with Patton's Third Army, which rolled in. Maybe they met.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Yoko Oinko on December 24, 2010, 07:13:02 pm
Here's the story of Dad.  He was born in 1923 in a little village near Bordeaux, France.  His father was a veteran of the French Army and a survivor of Verdun.  Dad's aunt was a nurse during the Great War and met and married an American Dough Boy from Little Rock who was wounded at Chateau Thierry in 1918.  They never had children, but they would bring Dad to America during the summers for vacation.  One summer in 1939 WWII started and Dad was stuck over here.  By 1940, France was over run by the Germans and Dad lost contact with his parents.  Dad enrolled in American schools and was basically taken in by his aunt and uncle.  By 1942, when he graduated from East Orange, NJ High School he wanted to join up.  His aunt wouldn't let him do it so he ran off to Canada to join the Royal Canadian Army.  His Uncle, who by now was re-called into the Army Signal Corps tracked him down and dragged him back to NJ. 

Dad went one semester to Hendrix in Conway when a law was enacted that if you were a refugee from an occupied country you could join the American army and thus, become an American citizen.

Dad joined up, and at Camp Croft, SC  in the summer of 1943 on the rifle range, he became an American citizen.

Dad was 20 years-old when he went in with the 29th on the 2nd wave at Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944.  He was badly wounded.  Dad told me that when he was in an England hospital that Bing Crosby came by and sang "I'll Be Home for Christmas" for the guys.  He told that story with tears in his eyes.

Dad became a victim of the Army's "repo depot."  A system where wounded soldiers weren't returned to their original unit, but to a bunch of strangers.  He fought with the 35th most of the rest of the war.  He was at the liberation of Nancy, crossed the Rhine, and saw the death camps.

Several years after the war, Dad got a draft notice from the French army.  At the time, they were knee deep in Vietnam and Algeria.  Dad told them, "Don't you think I've done enough for France?"  They wrote back, "Oui."

BPsTheMan

Quote from: HogBreath on December 24, 2010, 08:58:02 pm
My dad drove a truck in the 3rd Army, he never saw any of the heavy fighting, mostly Germans trying to surrender.  After the defeat of the Germans, they were preparing the 3rd Army to go to the Pacific theatre, and Patton was being relieved of his command, Patton told the troops that he wouldn't be going with them, but for them to stick their bayonets up the Jap's a#&, and twist it sideways.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: rickm1976 on December 24, 2010, 09:31:13 pm
My uncle drove a tank in the third army.  While they were on the way to relieve the paratroopers at Bastogne,  they were traveling up a row between some trees when somebody screamed "STOP!".  My uncle hit the brakes, and a German 88 shell glanced off the front of the tank.  If he hadn't stopped, the shell would have hit them broadside and killed the whole crew.  My uncle asked which one of them saw the gun and hollered stop, but none of them had.  My uncle and his crew all believed it was an angel.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: North hog on December 24, 2010, 09:46:15 pm
Pretty interesting.  My dad got shot down on Christmas day in 1944 flying bombing runs in the battle of the bulge in a B-26.  He was a POW until liberated in the spring of '45.  He came home and married an Arkansas girl from Stamps.  I am the last of six kids and still remember his stories today...A very brave generation of Americans..

BPsTheMan

Quote from: snoblind on December 24, 2010, 10:14:57 pm

BPsTheMan

Quote from: TexHog188 on December 24, 2010, 10:28:49 pm
My dad was there as well. Part of the 634 tank destroyer battalion assigned to the 1st Infantry Division. Recon platoon. He was 5'7", 155 lbs and the bravest man I will ever know.  I miss you dad.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: ItcouldBworse on December 24, 2010, 10:32:39 pm
I wonder if him and my Granfather ever crossed paths!  Grandad was also on the 2nd wave.  Utah beach.  He was a tanker.  Injured Christmas day during the battle of the Bulge.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Shag66 on December 24, 2010, 10:49:47 pm
My Great Uncle was blown off a Jeep on Omaha the day after D-Day...  When my cousin and her family went to France on a vacation a few years ago, they went to the D-Day memorial and to the beaches and graves...  Brought back a ton of pics...

Sitting on the porch with my Great Uncle looking at those pictures with him was tough.  Still brought a tear to his eyes.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Gotigers08 on December 24, 2010, 10:54:50 pm
On this night in 1944 My Grandfather was liberating Leyte.  He was in the 96th Deadeye Infantry.  I miss him very much!  Sorry i dont have a story.  1500 wounded and 500+ killed Deadeyes in the battles at Leyte.  That says alot!  What a bunch of great men!

BPsTheMan

Quote from: LedZepHog on December 25, 2010, 05:55:25 am
USS Foote DD511 - Fletcher Class Destroyer Squadron 23

Hit by Japanese torpedo at the outset of the Battle of Empress Bay, at 2:45am 11-2-43, lost 19 sailors and 54 feet of the fantail blown off.  A smokescreen from another tin can (probably the USS Thatcher) likely prevented another hit and the sinking of the ship.  The Foote was towed into Espirito Santo drydock by the Bobalink (towed for days in Japanese waters with no power, no depth charges, and no cover).

My Dad was down in the engine room that night when a kid named Alton Watts came in and told him to go up on deck as he was taking over for him, due to Japanese subs reportedly in the area and a Japanese surface force not too far away.  He told Watts that he had been ordered to stay put, but Watts yelled "dammit Arkie, I said get your skinny ass up top right now!"

As Dad was leaving, he just so happened to see his friend Ernest Benson from Toledo laid up between the torpedo tubes sleeping, believe it or not.  Dad told him "get up, I think there are Japs in the water".  So Benson and my Dad went topside together, and less than five minutes later everyone in the engine room was killed when the torpedo hit, including Alton Watts.  Daddy told me many times that about all he could remember after hearing "torpedo wake, starboard side!", was Benson crawling around looking for his shoes, having been literally blown out of them.

In the mid '80's, the crew members and their families began to have annual reunions in different cities around the country.  Our first year was 1989.  I got to be there as Dad reconnected with people he hadn't seen for 40 years (including Ernest Benson and Mrs. Margie), and each year during the memorial service (always held on water) we said a prayer for those 19 men and especially for Alton Watts, who was just 19 when he, knowingly or not, saved my Dad's life.  We were able to meet Watt's family in 1994 at the Philadelphia reunion, and it was really something.  I'm soooo lucky I was able to be a part of all that, and for my Dad and his old shipmates to share those things with me.

Dad passed in June of 2000, but I still keep in touch with the few old swabs that are left, as well as their kids and grandkids and great-grandkids.  I think it's pretty damn neat because I don't really know of anyone, especially around my age (43), that has been able to learn from and be so close to men from that generation and had the chance to appreciate their contributions to the life I live today.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: SC Hogfan on December 25, 2010, 07:24:33 am
I've got a respect for that group of guys (ALL of our WW2 vets) that is above all others.  Just lost my grandpa a couple years ago.  He never spoke to me about the war or even mentioned that he was in until the day I got back from basic training.  He opened up and told me stories that made us both tear up.
Those guys went through hell for all of us.  They don't make them like that any more.  Today is a day to send up a prayer to God to take extra care of those guys and tell them "NUTS!"  They'll be glad to know we're thinkin of em!