Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

James Franklin of Vandy - African American Head Coach in the SEC

Started by Arkapigdiesel, January 12, 2012, 11:07:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Choctaw Hog

98hogs

I actually that he was just an American without any labels.

Arkapigdiesel

Doesn't make a hill of beans to me either.  I just have no idea how I didn't know this.

McHogLovin

I was also very surprised when I read this on Rivals.  Had no idea.  I don't really give a crap either way, but I thought he was white.

Adam Stokes

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Arkapigdiesel

Mike_e

I had to look up his picture and do a triple take when I heard.

But then I almost got into an argument with a Vietnamese national once when he asked me if I thought he looked like an American and I told him yes so what do I know.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

little pigee

I had heard he was Presbyterian.  What is this world coming to?
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

1Hog1/2Ham

Actually I thought he was a hypnotist. He had our QB trying to complete passes to his d-backs several times. Just glad they couldn't hold on!

TMc

younghog

GO HOGS

Blue35

Quote from: Mike_e on January 12, 2012, 11:35:58 amBut then I almost got into an argument with a Vietnamese national once when he asked me if I thought he looked like an American and I told him yes so what do I know.
He was probably a Viet Cong.

Craig O Squeal

Quote from: Blue35 on January 12, 2012, 11:59:11 am
Did you mean to type Diet Coke? That darn auto-correct on the iPhone...

COCHISE

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

riccoar

From the article:

Franklin on the fact he and Joker are African American: "But I hope that we get to a point here pretty soon that this isn't even a discussion point."

A-fricking-men.

Uncommon

I didn't know he was African American.  Looked like a really tan white guy to me.

blyhog

James Franklin,Vin Diesel,and The Rock are all black. Just very very light skinned except for The Rock

jamie72921

Bless your heart

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: blyhog on January 12, 2012, 02:19:29 pm
James Franklin,Vin Diesel,and The Rock are all black. Just very very light skinned except for The Rock

WAAAY off topic, but does anyone else besides me remember the Saturday Night Live skit where Eddie Murphy spent a day undercover as a white man (his name was "Mr. White") to see if he would be treated differently?  It was hilarious. 
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

El Guapo

"If I could rest anywhere it would be Arkansaw where the man of the real-horse, half alligator-breed such as grows no where else on the face of the universal earth" Davey Crockett 1834

jkstock04

News to me.  But the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of James Franklin is HDN on the sidelines.  The guy acts like a complete clown.  I don't want a head coach who is going to chest bump with his players after a big play. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 12, 2012, 02:23:35 pm
WAAAY off topic, but does anyone else besides me remember the Saturday Night Live skit where Eddie Murphy spent a day undercover as a white man (his name was "Mr. White") to see if he would be treated differently?  It was hilarious.
No, but Dave Chappelle did a skit that...

Verge

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on January 12, 2012, 11:07:32 am
Who else besides me didn't have a clue he was African American?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/12/james-franklin-joker-phillips-to-make-sec-history-today/

What's an african american really? Has he ever been to africa, was he born there? It's just a stupid word.

Looks like a bro to me. Probably goes to hooters and drinks beer.

GB-Razorback

Quote from: Verge on January 12, 2012, 02:42:35 pm
What's an african american really? Has he ever been to africa, was he born there? It's just a stupid word.

Looks like a bro to me. Probably goes to hooters and drinks beer.

See this:

http://www.trentonian.com/articles/2009/05/11/news/doc4a0874d336365873184269.txt

This guy really was an African-American.

Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tanks of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.<br /><br />Jake: Hit it.

scorekeeper

Quote from: jkstock04 on January 12, 2012, 02:28:44 pm
News to me.  But the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of James Franklin is HDN on the sidelines.  The guy acts like a complete clown.  I don't want a head coach who is going to chest bump with his players after a big play. 
Franklin has way more potential that HDN. That really is a bad comparison.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 12, 2012, 02:30:09 pm
No, but Dave Chappelle did a skit that...

I think Chapelle was a little past my day (my son always told me he was funny).  If you can find it, google up a youtube of the Eddie Murphy skit - might have to go to the SNL website to do it.  That was back when Eddie was the funniest person on the planet.

jkstock04

Quote from: scorekeeper on January 12, 2012, 02:47:05 pm
Franklin has way more potential that HDN. That really is a bad comparison.
Strictly sideline antics.  Watch him sometime and you will know where I am coming from. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

blyhog

Yea Eddie was too funny in that skit....if I remember correct he would go in stores and try to pay for stuff and they would tell him "Oh noooo you dont have to pay for this your white"

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: blyhog on January 12, 2012, 03:26:50 pm
Yea Eddie was too funny in that skit....if I remember correct he would go in stores and try to pay for stuff and they would tell him "Oh noooo you dont have to pay for this your white"

Yep.  He went into a bank to get a huge loan with no collateral, and the guy just starts handing him bundles of cash.  Thing like that.  But what made it so funny was his facial expressions, the way he walked down the sidewalk, etc.  Almost as funny as The Stevie Wonder Experience skit and the James Brown Celebrity Hot Tub Party skit.

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Head Hawg on January 12, 2012, 03:32:06 pm

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=442102.msg6796425#msg6796425

Be careful Douglas will be in "disbelief" especially since another fellow Mod didn't know..... You are far from the only one that thought he wasn't fully Black and some even not at all as you just pointed out.

Head Hawg I knew you would not disappoint... I suspected you would find this thread and provide the link. I recall you were just as shocked as Arkpigdiesel when you found out. :)
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Hogger

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 12, 2012, 02:47:50 pm
I think Chapelle was a little past my day (my son always told me he was funny).  If you can find it, google up a youtube of the Eddie Murphy skit - might have to go to the SNL website to do it.  That was back when Eddie was the funniest person on the planet.
http://www.snotr.com/video/422/Eddie_Murphy_goes_undercover

HawgnCorona

Quote from: Head Hawg on January 12, 2012, 03:58:20 pm
I've always known he was half black as you can reference in the link. However, I find it amusing when people (Douglas) act smug when something isn't so cut and dry. Banter sure is fun isn't it. Tiger Woods is as Asian as Franklin is Black.

Arkapigdeise, just proved my point without even realizing it.

As for you my friend, I can say the same to you.... As I saw your name in the reply portion of the thread I knew it would be towards my quote when I opened the thread, ha ha. :D

Hey, I know you understand we're just having fun with it. Besides I dont mind having a civil discussion with Razorback fans in So. Cal or Calif in general...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

XX

Quote from: blyhog on January 12, 2012, 02:19:29 pm

Not to pick on you, but riddle me this......why is it that if you're half black and half white.....you're black?
My cousin married a black man that runs a large corporation and she is a lab manager for a fuel refinery.  They are well off and have wonderful children....but most refer to the children as black, some refer to them as mixed....but never white.
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

blyhog

Well according to the US Constitution a black person is considered anyone with 1/18th or more Afro-American blood so alot of people are black and just dont know it quite possibly.But all in all what does it matter we are all GODS CREATION and seperate ourselves by something thats not even 1mm thick!!Part of what I like about Hogville,for the most part are the posters that I enjoy reading while on Hogville.I could care less what color they are I know we have a common likeness and thats= HogNation Love

usnavyhogfan

The dream is free, the journey is not.

Pokechop

You mean he is not from Cuba?    :o

Frankly (no pun intended) I hadn't given it any thought at all.  I mean really, who cares?
The guy is a pretty good football coach and I wish him well except when he is playing my Hogs.

Mike_e

Quote from: Blue35 on January 12, 2012, 11:59:11 am

His honest to goodness first two names were in fact Viet Cong, everybody called him Cong.

Pretty good guy as I recall.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Biggus Piggus

People should feel silly talking about what color somebody is. I know sure as hell that I am not white. I am pink. Haven't been white a day of my life. Was pretty brown as a youth, stayed in the sun all the time. If you say you're white, lemme check you out. Bet you're pink too. It's just not cool to think you're pink, so some fricking moron decided to call us white. Like being the color of bleached paper would be cool either. It was always very hard to try to be cool when pink, and eventually you get old enough to give up trying.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 13, 2012, 02:50:01 pm
People should feel silly talking about what color somebody is. I know sure as hell that I am not white. I am pink. Haven't been white a day of my life. Was pretty brown as a youth, stayed in the sun all the time. If you say you're white, lemme check you out. Bet you're pink too. It's just not cool to think you're pink, so some fricking moron decided to call us white. Like being the color of bleached paper would be cool either. It was always very hard to try to be cool when pink, and eventually you get old enough to give up trying.

LMSRAO

SR = slightly red (but less in winter)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ChicoHog

Quote from: XHOG on January 12, 2012, 04:11:23 pm
Not to pick on you, but riddle me this......why is it that if you're half black and half white.....you're black?
My cousin married a black man that runs a large corporation and she is a lab manager for a fuel refinery.  They are well off and have wonderful children....but most refer to the children as black, some refer to them as mixed....but never white.
Great point.  I always wondered the same thing.  Halle Berry is just as much white as black.  Tiger woods is just as much Asian as black (I think).  Why aren't most of us European American?  I don't get it but in the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 13, 2012, 08:33:34 pm
Great point.  I always wondered the same thing.  Halle Berry is just as much white as black.  Tiger woods is just as much Asian as black (I think).  Why aren't most of us European American?  I don't get it but in the big scheme of things it really doesn't matter. 

Most of us are mutts, an odd assortment of backgrounds none of which is dominant enough for 85 percent of us to get all bunched up about.  On the one hand...

...one the other hand, those who think ethnicity is about the color of your skin are missing the bigger part of the discussion.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

jabohog

I object. I have held five shades of pink next to my cheeks and I am not pink. I am more saltine. A little tan here and there but mostly whiteish, not pink, but with a little bit of salt.

jabohog

Oh, and Franklin reminds me of Dwayne Johnson. I like him and think he is a great coach and will change the landscape of college football.