Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What a comeback win.Arkansas 95 Tennessee 93. I love this team

Started by forrest city joe, December 30, 2017, 02:57:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

There was no give up in this team today.they fought hard all game long.and they came back and beat a heck of a good TN team.I FREAKING LOVE IT!what a great coaching job by Mike Anderson.going wit A.Cook at the end was a great move.and realizing he had to keep his starters on the floor because the bench for the most part did not have it today.and for keeping his team attacking the basket. i love this team,GO HOGS.I FREAKING LOVE IT!

TNhawgfan

I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

ShadowTheHedgehog

When the lead when from 11 to 2, I started to get a little worried. Great win. Great start to the SEC. They will probably get into the top 25 now.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hogman64

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 30, 2017, 02:57:46 pm
There was no give up in this team today.they fought hard all game long.and they came back and beat a heck of a good TN team.I FREAKING LOVE IT!what a great coaching job by Mike Anderson.going wit A.Cook at the end was a great move.and realizing he had to keep his starters on the floor because the bench for the most part did not have it today.and for keeping his team attacking the basket. i love this team,GO HOGS.I FREAKING LOVE IT!

a better move would have been to bench Beard... a senior and fighting for a rebound with 1.5 seconds left  up by 4 = should not be allowed to be in the game.

HogCzar1

Great win indeed. Got to learn how to close these games out without giving the officials a chance to make calls.

But make no mistake, a huge win!

Great game by Macon and Barford. Tennessee is a very good team.

tennesseehogwild

Whewww! What a heart stopper! When Williams fouled out, I thought we had a chance. Two good teams.

gmarv54

RaisinHog

Nice too get a win against a real good team when for much of the game we didn't play / shoot the best !

Hogs49ers

+1 good win! And appreciate the fact that you did not bring the refs into this winning thread!

I am pumped bc even though we got the win and Macon/Barford carried us, this was a huge learning experience for our younger guys like CJ, Hall, Gafford.  They should all be able to learn a lot from a tough game against a tough opponent like this in SEC play - Macon and Barford are teaching and showing these younger guys how to win games and what it really takes.
SCREW Vandy!

TushCrush

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we had zero turnovers in the second half.

The NewEra

Tennessee is a very good team.  Arkansas didn't play nearly as good as they are capable of, yet they managed to pull out a win.  This team could be really special if they keep plugging away the way they did today.  It was a blast to hear that crowd at the game today.  Reminds me of the Nolan years. 

TM Hog

Willyboy

Quote from: TushCrush on December 30, 2017, 03:10:38 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we had zero turnovers in the second half.

We had at least one, maybe two.  I think we had 9 at halftime.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

RazorNick

Other than the win, the best part about this game is that we were ice cold shooting the ball and played about as bad as you could and stuck with a very good team and found a way to win. That's what it takes to go deep in the tournaments.

TushCrush

I thought I heard them say 12 at half. Anyway nice halftime adjustment on the ball handling by Mike. Tip o the hat to Cook ... solid minutes down the stretch.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 30, 2017, 03:05:54 pm
+1 good win! And appreciate the fact that you did not bring the refs into this winning thread!

I am pumped bc even though we got the win and Macon/Barford carried us, this was a huge learning experience for our younger guys like CJ, Hall, Gafford.  They should all be able to learn a lot from a tough game against a tough opponent like this in SEC play - Macon and Barford are teaching and showing these younger guys how to win games and what it really takes.
Gafford  was outstanding.and is one of the big reasons the game even got into overtime.he is the real deal. his defense took away any inside game TN had.

Hogs49ers

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 30, 2017, 03:24:44 pm
Gafford  was outstanding.and is one of the big reasons the game even got into overtime.he is the real deal. his defense took away any inside game TN had.

Yes I agree, got much better as the game went on and did a great job of playing without fouling for a long time to end that game in OT.  Still, he should learn a lot from that game.
SCREW Vandy!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 30, 2017, 03:05:54 pm
this was a huge learning experience for our younger guys like CJ, Hall

I got ahead of myself on DH, was hoping he wasn't a freshman,,  CJ disappointed  with missed FT's,...  we need both to be solid in big games, not great but they can't be negatives, they are our best hope for depth.. Trey is out of shape and almost a non factor ..AB is in a funk...

It was apparent today why he starts/plays the 5 he does.. and it's not really close..  As said, great win and a great teaching moment...

The NewEra

At Gafford's current rate of growth, he will be a major force on this team come tournament time.

Fan701

Quote from: pigture perfect on December 30, 2017, 03:13:40 pm
Macon and Barford don't get rattled.
I wrote that, too, at half-time, when others were in despair.  When you've got those two, it's never over.  Also, Gafford looked timid and hesitant in the first half, but he got over that in the second half.  The three of them willed us to victory.

Hogs49ers

Wow Tenn moved up 1 spot to #8 RPI after the loss today, we moved up 2 spots to #9 RPI after the win, I guess that shows the difference of what happens to RPI during home games vs away games.
SCREW Vandy!

bolo1010

Quote from: hogman64 on December 30, 2017, 03:01:04 pm
a better move would have been to bench Beard... a senior and fighting for a rebound with 1.5 seconds left  up by 4 = should not be allowed to be in the game.

That was a bs call.  I love the dog and hustle beard has in him.  You don't take your veteran senior guard out that late in a game.! Just got called for a bs call.  You filed to mention the big rebound tie up he got late in the game to give us possession.

tee1up2par

If it was such a great coaching job, why was Macon taking the ball out at the end of the game when it was obvious Tenner was gonna foul.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

David†

David†

Quote from: tee1up2par on December 30, 2017, 03:42:42 pm
If it was such a great coaching job, why was Macon taking the ball out at the end of the game when it was obvious Tenner was gonna foul.

We won, didn't we?

hoginla

Our half court plan EVERY game should be to feed the ball to Gafford until it doesn't work.  We are too quick to jack up a three without trying anything else on many occasions.  Our motion offense lacks motion most possessions. 
September 8, 2023 19 years w/Hogville!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Great great great win and the greatest Razorback moment of 2017.

Awsome afternoon. Shocked my two year old was not woken up by my screaming after the Gafford dunk.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hoglady

What a great win.
We certainly didn't play near as well as we are capable of.
It's a long season - but I have great confidence in this team. They are fighters.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Tenn had several empty trips when they had that 7-9 pt lead range up until 3 minutes left. Just couldn't make that one or two shots probably partially due to fatigue and we at least were challenging most of the shots.  At that point, they were done. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: RazorNick on December 30, 2017, 03:14:19 pm
Other than the win, the best part about this game is that we were ice cold shooting the ball and played about as bad as you could and stuck with a very good team and found a way to win. That's what it takes to go deep in the tournaments.

54% FG..  40% 3-pt ...take CJ out and we shot really well, not ice cold...12 to's not bad..

Dark Helmet Hog

Piglet

After watching the first half, I thought Tennessee was the better team and should win the game.  Their defense was outstanding and their shooters were clutch.  Luckily the game was in Walton which I think is worth 10 points to the Razorbacks.  And it took all of that advantage to pull out the game.

On Christmas Day, I posted my concern about the holiday and the long layoff.  Traditionally the Razorbacks do not play well after the Christmas holidays and it takes a couple of games to get back into rhythm.  I think we saw some of that today.  The Vols defense was really good, but the Hogs weren't clicking on offense like they were earlier.  The bench definitely was out of sync.

For me, it was very satisfying to see them gut it out when they weren't at their best.  I think this will help in some tough road games later in the season.

Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

TNarch

One of those games where the ball didn't often bounce in their direction, but they showed grit down the stretch when it counted most.  Way to go Hogs!!!!  Too bad I have to wait till Tuesday to see my UT coworkers.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: tee1up2par on December 30, 2017, 03:42:42 pm

It was after a make and Macon lost his wits for a second and tried to inbound quickly even though MA had already told him we needed to inbound it to him much earlier. He had barked at Macon to get the ball late when Barford shot his ft's.

It wasn't on the coach.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Piglet on December 30, 2017, 04:26:32 pm
After watching the first half, I thought Tennessee was the better team and should win the game.  Their defense was outstanding and their shooters were clutch.  Luckily the game was in Walton which I think is worth 10 points to the Razorbacks.  And it took all of that advantage to pull out the game.

On Christmas Day, I posted my concern about the holiday and the long layoff.  Traditionally the Razorbacks do not play well after the Christmas holidays and it takes a couple of games to get back into rhythm.  I think we saw some of that today.  The Vols defense was really good, but the Hogs weren't clicking on offense like they were earlier.  The bench definitely was out of sync.

For me, it was very satisfying to see them gut it out when they weren't at their best.  I think this will help in some tough road games later in the season.

Tenn ran out of energy to close it.  In that sense, our bench was valuable as usual to us.  Good it was in BWA too vs had this been on the road.  Crowd energy helped us down the stretch and Tenn looked tight those last few minutes.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: hoginla on December 30, 2017, 04:00:07 pm
Our half court plan EVERY game should be to feed the ball to Gafford until it doesn't work.  We are too quick to jack up a three without trying anything else on many occasions.  Our motion offense lacks motion most possessions.

Gafford would be dead by the 10 minute mark of the first half. Fighting in the post will wear you out much faster than running sprints. You really have to pick your moments to saddle up a post guy.

Fan701

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 30, 2017, 04:33:13 pm
Tenn ran out of energy to close it.  In that sense, our bench was valuable as usual to us.  Good it was in BWA too vs had this been on the road.  Crowd energy helped us down the stretch and Tenn looked tight those last few minutes.
You would think that with the massive minutes guys like Macon, Beard, and Barford played that we would have been the team worn down because of lack of depth.  Those guys must have really worked to get in game shape.  Macon didn't even look winded at the end after playing 41 minutes.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Fan701 on December 30, 2017, 04:38:45 pm
You would think that with the massive minutes guys like Macon, Beard, and Barford played that we would have been the team worn down because of lack of depth.  Those guys must have really worked to get in game shape.  Macon didn't even look winded at the end after playing 41 minutes.

Macon feeds off the crowd probably more than any other Hog.

hogsanity

Quote from: ShadowHawg on December 30, 2017, 04:31:28 pm
It was after a make and Macon lost his wits for a second and tried to inbound quickly even though MA had already told him we needed to inbound it to him much earlier. He had barked at Macon to get the ball late when Barford shot his ft's.

It wasn't on the coach.

Exactly, it was just a fog of war type thing. Macon wanted to get it in before TN had a chance to set up. Things like that happen is close games.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

3kgthog

Quote from: David† on December 30, 2017, 03:44:39 pm
We won, didn't we?

Doesnt matter. Make a mistake like that in the NCAAT and it could send us home earlier than we'd like. Mike doesn't have such a talent level on this roster that we can give the other teams unforced help.

alohawg

This was not a good look for Bailey on this sequence. Not his fault as Thompson turned it over, but still, yikes.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorpimp

There is no way to keep it up if the bench continues to produce that much garbage...

5 pts
6 Rebs
1 stl
1 blk

What a bunch of vomit

AirWarren

Quote from: razorpimp on December 30, 2017, 04:57:54 pm
There is no way to keep it up if the bench continues to produce that much garbage...

5 pts
6 Rebs
1 stl
1 blk

What a bunch of vomit

Ouch. Horrid.

TexHog188

Quote from: bolo1010 on December 30, 2017, 03:38:11 pm
That was a bs call.  I love the dog and hustle beard has in him.  You don't take your veteran senior guard out that late in a game.! Just got called for a bs call.  You filed to mention the big rebound tie up he got late in the game to give us possession.

Agree, was a BS call at that point in the game.  Agree you don't take out the SR guard too.  He seems to be a good FT shooter and is pesky on D.
"When you're around people that have been where you're trying to go, they know the answers."  Moses Moody

Fan701

Quote from: razorpimp on December 30, 2017, 04:57:54 pm

5 pts
6 Rebs
1 stl
1 blk

What a bunch of vomit
You left out the 5 turnovers.