Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cole Kelley is...

Started by HogWildBison2011, April 18, 2015, 03:01:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jgphillips3

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢ on April 18, 2015, 09:59:22 pm
Kid ran it quite a bit on his video...
Yes he did.  However he ran a lot like the "Bell Dozer" package at Oklahoma.  A lot of straight forward, drag defenders type runs.  I could see him doing that here on the goal line, but doing that frequently in the SEC will get him killed over a few years.  Also, he is definitely not as fast or elusive as RG3 type dual threat QB's so I see him as a drop back passer who can run up the middle if they cheat or slam it ahead on 4th and 1 when you need it.  Brandon Allen is a much better runner (faster and more elusive) than this kid and Bielema limits his running to keep him healthy.  That's why I said it the way I did.

hoglady

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on April 18, 2015, 08:59:01 pm
He doesn't have an LSU offer. They're obviously not too worried about it. Now, Judging from their qb play and the fact that their oc seems to work better with pro-style qb's, maybe they should be. But hey, maybe their loss is out gain.

LSU not recruiting him is a good sign - considering Les Miles is about the worst judge of QB talent I've ever seen, either that or he ruins them once they get there. If I had a son that was a high school QB I'd try to make him run as far away from LSU as he could get.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Ā 

pigture perfect

One thingi haven't seen mentioned is the revenge factor his will give us when we play LSU. I think these guys love playing against teams from their home state. Especially if that home school doesn't offer or didn't recruit hard.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

WorfHog

Quote from: HogFanFromTheHills on April 18, 2015, 04:19:02 pm
Were does rafe peavy fit into the qb picture?

He's fighting for #2 right now and I'm sure next year we'll see a wide open QB competition.

TeufelHog

Goodness . . . how many QBs do we need on the roster?  Recruited for another position maybe? 

ricepig

Quote from: TeufelHog on April 19, 2015, 10:23:58 am
Goodness . . . how many QBs do we need on the roster?  Recruited for another position maybe? 

You recruit a QB every year, should you ask tOSU how many QB's you need?

hoglady

Considering the attrition rate of college QB's due to injury or transfer / we needed to sign one.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

Biggus Piggus

I am excited to see how many football commitments Arkansas gets before the next basketball commitment.
[CENSORED]!

hoglady

Talked with a friend in Baton Rouge today.
He knew right off all about Kelley.
Said a lot of the South LA sportswriters were baffled that LSU didn't try to recruit this kid.
Glad he's gonna be a Hog!!

ZERO

Quote from: BigSexyHog on April 18, 2015, 03:11:14 pm
3 or 4 star?

He hasn't been evaluated by Rivals or Scout, yet. They'll probably rate him 3* when they give him a closer look. He's a very middle 3* at 85 on 24/7.

6'7", huh. I'm pretty excited to see what we have in store for this giant guy.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

NLRHog92

Solid pickup. There's a lot to love about a 6'7 QB that is as agile as he is and can hum it in there. Throws off of his backfoot too often, but you can still see his arm strength. Also has some nice touch on deep balls. Coaches will work with him on mechanics and after a year under the system and toning out his tall frame, could be a great get when it's all said and done.

hawgmasta

Physically he will be able to make all the throws and with the guys on campus he can take his time for a few years on the bench listening and learning. I'm very excited about this dude; top notch!

Ā 

Biggus Piggus

This should put a dent in the Rafers' momentum, that's for sure.
[CENSORED]!

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: dsgreen on April 18, 2015, 08:32:25 pm
LSU can't be happy with how many of their kids we're plucking.
not being a smart arse here but it appears that we snatched Cole away from Colorado State and Louisiana Tech.  Apparently LSU isn't too concerned about losing him. 

But I get your point. Even though Kelley isn't a highly rated prospect that LSU would recruit, Arkansas is going into Louisiana and getting some kids, and sooner or later, the Hogs will grab a kid that Les Miles really really wants. 

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 20, 2015, 06:21:39 am

What a stupid comment

ballhogger

I don't know how fast Cole is, but he is not slow.  Far more mobile than I had thought.  Actually he looks more mobile than Ty did in high school.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

PaintballHog

I understand that taking a QB every year is how it's always been. I think we could have survived without one this year, and wouldn't be thrilled if we settled on a qb "just to take one" that would have a hard time competing in the SEC.

Kelley tho, has all the physical tools of a prototypical QB, and will be an interesting project working with Enos in the coming years. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on April 20, 2015, 06:59:36 am
What a stupid comment

ROFL! You crack me up. Making dorks angry is my job.

If Arkansas's eager to sign a 6-7 quarterback who is more Mallett than Jones, it kinda blunts the idea that the Hogs are going to put in a special read-option package, or any of the other horsecrap being thrown around here by weirdos.
[CENSORED]!

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on April 20, 2015, 06:31:00 am
not being a smart arse here but it appears that we snatched Cole away from Colorado State and Louisiana Tech.  Apparently LSU isn't too concerned about losing him

I agree LSU isn't concerned about this pick up like It was with Briston Guidry who they actually offered.

But Ok State and UK were Kelley's best non Arkansas offers, not La Tech and Colorado State

WorfHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 20, 2015, 08:33:55 am
ROFL! You crack me up. Making dorks angry is my job.

If Arkansas's eager to sign a 6-7 quarterback who is more Mallett than Jones, it kinda blunts the idea that the Hogs are going to put in a special read-option package, or any of the other horsecrap being thrown around here by weirdos.

So now the mods are trolls?

demonHOG1013

Do people not understand that competition makes people better.  How do you get AA, Rafe Peavy, and Ty Storey to work even harder than they already are? Sign a 6'7" 245 lbs kid out of a cajun catholic high school where all they do is breathe football.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 20, 2015, 08:18:24 am
Here is a season-long video on Kelley.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3137127/highlights/175711385/v2

Running and throwing.

By the way, the kid could use an O-Line. He takes a boat-load of hits and still makes a lot of completions.
Go Hogs Go!

Ā 

GolfnHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 20, 2015, 12:39:26 pm
By the way, the kid could use an O-Line. He takes a boat-load of hits and still makes a lot of completions.

noticed that as well. No reason to believe he won't have a solid OLine once he gets to the Hill based on the current recruiting trends of CBB & staff.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Arthur pigby sellers.

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 20, 2015, 12:39:26 pm
My thoughts exactly. Kids making 25 yard passes with a defender in his face on many of those plays against what I assume is good competition. 

KlubhouseKonnected

Good programs usually sign a QB in a every class. Unfortunately you also usually see a QB transfer out every other year or so too. It's going to be interesting to see how our QB situation pans out over the next 15 months or so.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ricepig on April 19, 2015, 10:25:32 am
You recruit a QB every year, should you ask tOSU how many QB's you need?

Hey, a former great coach proved you don't need that many QB's.  You just have to be able to recruit off the intramural field successfully.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hawgmasta

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on April 20, 2015, 04:31:24 pm
Hey, a former great coach proved you don't need that many QB's.  You just have to be able to recruit off the intramural field successfully.

Lol

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on April 20, 2015, 01:12:31 pm
My thoughts exactly. Kids making 25 yard passes with a defender in his face on many of those plays against what I assume is good competition. 

He's playing in a pretty good classification in souther Louisiana where a ton of division 1 and eventual pro players hail from. That's exciting.

ComeonHogs!!!

Just take a look at his touch on the deep ball! time and a again just out in front where only his receiver can make the play. Good looking kid.
State Pride!!!

Deep Shoat

not being a smart arse here but it appears that we snatched Cole away from Colorado State and Louisiana Tech.  Apparently LSU isn't too concerned about losing him. 

But I get your point. Even though Kelley isn't a highly rated prospect that LSU would recruit, Arkansas is going into Louisiana and getting some kids, and sooner or later, the Hogs will grab a kid that Les Miles really really wants.
And LSU has done such a great job at the QB position for such a long time that we should be concerned if they aren't recruiting him...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on April 20, 2015, 06:59:36 am
What a stupid comment
It's really not.  The point is, with this commit, the coaches just proved they aren't interested in running QB's. 

I know, he runs a lot in the videos.  He won't in college.  He is a 6'7" drop back QB.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 22, 2015, 08:20:26 am
It's really not.  The point is, with this commit, the coaches just proved they aren't interested in running QB's. 

I know, he runs a lot in the videos.  He won't in college.  He is a 6'7" drop back QB.

They actually haven't proven that at all.  Logan Byrd is a true dual threat that we wanted.

I think they're just looking for the best QB they can find.  They do appear to value a bigger frame.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on April 22, 2015, 11:54:24 am
They actually haven't proven that at all.  Logan Byrd is a true dual threat that we wanted.

I think they're just looking for the best QB they can find.  They do appear to value a bigger frame.
All these high school "dual threats" they are recruiting are guys who will be plain, old-fashioned, drop back passers in college.  Sure, they may have a little escapability (Rafe), but they will be taught to stay in the pocket or they won't play.

That is what wins at EVERY level. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 22, 2015, 12:21:42 pm
All these high school "dual threats" they are recruiting are guys who will be plain, old-fashioned, drop back passers in college.  Sure, they may have a little escapability (Rafe), but they will be taught to stay in the pocket or they won't play.

That is what wins at EVERY level. 

Logan Byrd was touted as much more of a runner than a thrower.

I'm not saying you're wrong.  But I've seen Enos say that they're going to use BA's athleticism more this year because he's got some wheels on him.  My point is, they aren't "disinterested" in any type of QB.  I think maybe you're reading too much into it.

They just want the best QB they can find.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on April 22, 2015, 12:25:30 pm
Logan Byrd was touted as much more of a runner than a thrower.

I'm not saying you're wrong.  But I've seen Enos say that they're going to use BA's athleticism more this year because he's got some wheels on him.  My point is, they aren't "disinterested" in any type of QB.  I think maybe you're reading too much into it.

They just want the best QB they can find who they will then turn into a drop back passer.
fyp
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 22, 2015, 12:26:59 pm
fyp

Oh, I'm sorry.  I didn't realize I was dealing with such an insider.  Bret Bielema would obviously never use a dual-threat QB.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 22, 2015, 12:28:56 pm
Oh, I'm sorry.  I didn't realize I was dealing with such an insider.  Bret Bielema would obviously never use a dual-threat QB.

I think he prefers a pro-style type QB, he's been quoted on it. I also think he'd take a good pro-style QB that is mobile.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Wildhog on April 22, 2015, 12:28:56 pm
You don't have to be an insider to read.  You also don't have to be an insider to look at the QB's recruited by CBB over the years.  He has a track record.  Even Russell Wilson didn't run with the same frequency he had prior, and it made him a much better QB.

Don't be a jerk just because you missed an article or twelve.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on April 22, 2015, 12:47:55 pm
I think he prefers a pro-style type QB, he's been quoted on it. I also think he'd take a good pro-style QB that is mobile.

I have no doubt that's the case.  I just see quotes like "the coaches just proved they aren't interested in running QB's" and it drives me crazy.

Only a sith deals in absolutes.  :)
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 22, 2015, 12:50:42 pm
You don't have to be an insider to read.  You also don't have to be an insider to look at the QB's recruited by CBB over the years.  He has a track record.  Even Russell Wilson didn't run with the same frequency he had prior, and it made him a much better QB.

Don't be a jerk just because you missed an article or twelve.

Can't help it.  I'm kind of a jerk.

I'm way more informed than you, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on April 20, 2015, 11:47:32 am
Do people not understand that competition makes people better.  How do you get AA, Rafe Peavy, and Ty Storey to work even harder than they already are? Sign a 6'7" 245 lbs kid out of a cajun catholic high school where all they do is breathe football.

You need to realize the most posters on message boards have no clue what it takes to be a college athlete because they weren't one.  So to answer your question, no, most people posting on message boards do not understand the correlation between strong competition and getting better. 

bigdaddyhawg

Take a read of Tom Lemmings comments on this forum placed by RD.

Says this is the best year for QB's in La. in the last ten years.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Wildhog

His top two were Arkansas and Oklahoma St, and he was just offered by Kentucky.

Funny how you just ignored that.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Country Stylz

Looks like he'll have good mobility in the pocket.

bennyl08

The guy has great size at 6'7" and 230. He has got a good set of wheels, a cannon of an arm but can throw it very accurately as well. Biggest question marks I saw was a lack of going through progressions, could have been the offense, and not great footwork. Also, he can throw the ball with a defender right in his face.

We are in great shape for the future.

We have Allen who isn't quite as fast as his brother but probably has a bit stronger of an arm. He has been here the longest, has a winners instinct and has actual playing experience.

We have Rafe who has a strong arm and is by far our most mobile guy, but prefers to throw rather than run.

We have Ty who had the best fundamentals coming from HS I've ever seen. Who is mobile enough with a strong arm but knows how to use touch. He is also currently a true freshmen and will need to RS as the game slows down for him.

Now, we have Kelly coming in who is very mobile in his own right and probably brings the strongest arm not to mention the best size. However, he has a lot of work to do with fundamentals and such.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Thepigdoctor

Kid looks incredibly talented. I saw somewhere his 40 time was 5 flat, he looks deceptively fast, and for his size he doesn't look rigid. The coaches will have a lot to work with as a skill set, tons of upside here.

Tough to match up a comparison, but to me, looks like a cross between Mallett and Dak Prescott.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 20, 2015, 06:21:39 am

This is what you wrote.  Most can see why this type of post shouldn't be written by anyone, especially a mod. First, besides you, who calls him 'Rafer' ? Second, how can anyone extrapolate that this alleged momentum would be lost or "dented" because a high school jr just gave a verbal? Kelley won't see the field for another 3 seasons. Third, singling out one qb is bizarre.  Does this also put a dent in Storeys or AAs momentum? It has nothing to do with silly arguments by trolls like you that like debating whether or not BB prefers a mobile qb or if he'd mix in the read option.  What's hilarious is CK is exactly the type of QB that could run the read option out of the gun set.  People have even commented in this very thread about his running abilities.  Kelley is more in the mold of Cardale Boyd than Ryan mallet. And who knows Kelly could be the first ever razorback to win the heisman.  But, to state for sure that a current qb had his momentum dented by a jr in a high school IS stupid.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on April 25, 2015, 10:33:34 pm
This is what you wrote.  Most can see why this type of post shouldn't be written by anyone, especially a mod. First, besides you, who calls him 'Rafer' ? Second, how can anyone extrapolate that this alleged momentum would be lost or "dented" because a high school jr just gave a verbal? Kelley won't see the field for another 3 seasons. Third, singling out one qb is bizarre.  Does this also put a dent in Storeys or AAs momentum? It has nothing to do with silly arguments by trolls like you that like debating whether or not BB prefers a mobile qb or if he'd mix in the read option.  What's hilarious is CK is exactly the type of QB that could run the read option out of the gun set.  People have even commented in this very thread about his running abilities.  Kelley is more in the mold of Cardale Boyd than Ryan mallet. And who knows Kelly could be the first ever razorback to win the heisman.  But, to state for sure that a current qb had his momentum dented by a jr in a high school IS stupid.
"Rafers" was a reference to those who constantly call for Rate to be the qb because "he runs".  BPs point was that CBB taking a commit from a 6'7" kid would dent the confidence of those people, the "Rafers".
All Gas, No Brakes!