Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basketball Recruiting

Started by razorhog52, April 15, 2015, 03:05:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NLRHog92

I don't like where we're sitting currently. Hopefully we can reel in some good players this late in the game, but it's going to be tough!

TexArkHogFan

Oh ye of little faith.  We are hot on the trail of a couple of pretty good prospects.  Give it time and have a little patience.   I predict we will fill all three open slots with good quality players.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

geauxhogwilde

April 19, 2015, 09:59:34 pm #102 Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 10:16:17 pm by geauxhogwilde
It's hard to imagine why we don't all jump on the "we need to over-sign" bus.  After all, this year's national champs proved that it is absolutely essential.........   

HawgAdvocate

Malik Newman is supposed to announce today. He's an elite, 5* SG in the 2015 class from MS. It's down to UK, Mississippi St., or possibly LSU.

This is important only because his freshman year, should he go to UK, could impact Malik Monk's choice for 2016.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

lefty08

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 21, 2015, 10:29:55 am
Malik Newman is supposed to announce today. He's an elite, 5* SG in the 2015 class from MS. It's down to UK, Mississippi St., or possibly LSU.

This is important only because his freshman year, should he go to UK, could impact Malik Monk's choice for 2016.

How so?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: lefty08 on April 21, 2015, 07:05:37 pm
How so?

He's now announcing on Friday. How long will Newman stay at UK, should he go there? If he sticks around another year, like the Harrison kids did, will Malik want to compete with Newman? If Malik does indeed wait until spring '16 to sign, he can certainly wait and see who goes pro early and who stays for another year of college. Think about it.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

lefty08

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 21, 2015, 07:16:38 pm
He's now announcing on Friday. How long will Newman stay at UK, should he go there? If he sticks around another year, like the Harrison kids did, will Malik want to compete with Newman? If Malik does indeed wait until spring '16 to sign, he can certainly wait and see who goes pro early and who stays for another year of college. Think about it.

I'm thinking about it, I still don't think it has any effect whatsoever.
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: lefty08 on April 21, 2015, 09:15:25 pm
I'm thinking about it, I still don't think it has any effect whatsoever.

Oh well then. It's a possibility you can certainly choose to ignore if ya want. Hopefully Newman chooses UK.

poloprince

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 21, 2015, 10:29:55 am

There's a rumor of him taking another route to the NBA like Mudiay.
$PoLoPrInCe$

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 21, 2015, 09:36:55 pm
Oh well then. It's a possibility you can certainly choose to ignore if ya want. Hopefully Newman chooses UK.

I'm for whatever gets Malik here

lefty08

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 21, 2015, 09:36:55 pm

If you think having Newman at UK will sway Malik one bit you haven't been paying attention to what UK has been doing for 6 years

Seriously, where do you pull this stuff out of?

GoHogs1091

There is a Kentucky fan who is a big fan of Malik Newman.  Here is what that Kentucky fan posted about Newman over on the Kentucky Rivals board.

That would be me. I'm a huge fan because I saw him against Thon Maker ad Jamal Murray at the Hoopfest and he was unreal. His range is nuts and he rarely missed a shot. He hit a turnaround fadeaway that only Kobe hits. He scored even when double and triple teamed. He hit numerous 3's and also drove and scored at the rim even with Maker being there. He's the best offensive guard I've seen in a decade. He was the best looking player I've ever seen at Hoopfest and that includes Wiggins. He reminds me of a bit more athletic Brandon Knight that's also a little better on offense as well. I think he is a better shooter with more range than Knight also. He did shoot a lot but it was more due to his team not having many good players. He's not the selfish player many make him out to be. He can actually pass very well. We have no go to guy that can take over a game like Knight, Newman would be that guy. That's why next year won't be 2011 without Malik.

41 ZaytovenCat, Today at 2:33 PM

The above post is post #41 in the "Malik Newman announcing decision on Friday" thread that is over on that Kentucky Rivals Rupp Rafters board.

The rest of the SEC may end up dreading next season that Newman decided to go to the SEC instead of going to play for Bill Self and Kansas.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: lefty08 on April 21, 2015, 10:02:41 pm
If you think having Newman at UK will sway Malik one bit you haven't been paying attention to what UK has been doing for 6 years

I don't deal in absolutes. You should try it sometime. There are plenty of opinions out there besides yours.

lefty08

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 21, 2015, 10:33:12 pm
I don't deal in absolutes. You should try it sometime. There are plenty of opinions out there besides yours.

Thanks for the enlightenment

Pork Twain

Quote from: -Blu on April 16, 2015, 11:04:28 am
I don't like the mindset of "Let's save a scholarship".  The staff should be trying to put together the best possible team they can this year, and worry about next year's team, when that time comes.  The same way we were thinking let's save a scholarship in 2014 for the 2015 class because we had a decent shot at Kevaughn Allen, King McClure, Jimmy Whitt, and Admon Gilder, we seen how that worked out and we only landed 1 of those guys.  You can't overlook a current class banking on guys from the next class, it's not going to work out.

And then another thing you have to think of these top recruits we're on in 2016 aren't going to be eager to come to a NIT or a team that didn't make the post season, these elite recruits want to go to a school where they can win, especially kids like Monk that's only playing for a year.  So, it's in the staff best interest to get the best talent they can now with the scholarships we have available.
As a rule I am not for saving scholarships, but seeing as we rarely go deep enough into our bench to need that last guy, I would rather we hold on to one and actually have a plan to use it as opposed to just giving it to whatever low hanging fruit is out there.  Too many times we have seen those guys sign, only to move on after the year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

intelligence

his ass.

HawgAdvocate

I haven't seen it mentioned previously, but Calipari and Dana Altman each had a home visit with Monk on Monday. Coach A had his with Monk on Wednesday.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: intelligence on April 22, 2015, 07:42:37 am
his ass.

Because you didn't comprehend before, now you can:

Quote"Monk, who took an unofficial visit to Kentucky last summer, described his interest in the Wildcats as "very strong" and said sending seven more players to this year's NBA Draft is a major selling point.

"They send at least two to the draft every year so that has a big impact."

He also has several factors that will play a role during his decision-making process.

"Good coaching staff, good teammates, coaches that push me on and off the court, who's coming back, who's staying," Monk said."

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Bolt/Monks-interest-in-Kentucky-very-strong-36981382

Pigsfeat

The players that Kentucky sends to the NBA would have made it to the NBA wherever they went to college. It is not because they went to Kentucky or coach Cal...they are normally the best players coming out of H.S. I'm so sick of all these kids thinking that coach Cal has some kind of magic wand for getting kids to the next level! :puke:
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

The Hogfather

Quote from: Pigsfeat on April 27, 2015, 10:53:50 am
The players that Kentucky sends to the NBA would have made it to the NBA wherever they went to college. It is not because they went to Kentucky or coach Cal...they are normally the best players coming out of H.S. I'm so sick of all these kids thinking that coach Cal has some kind of magic wand for getting kids to the next level! :puke:

THIS!  I was about to reply with this exact thing.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 27, 2015, 11:53:36 am
THIS!  I was about to reply with this exact thing.

True in many (possibly most) cases. Unfortunately though, it doesn't matter what any of us think. 

870hogfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 27, 2015, 01:20:33 pm
True in many (possibly most) cases. Unfortunately though, it doesn't matter what any of us think.

No it's true period.  Cal doesn't help them as much people think...

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: lefty08 on April 21, 2015, 10:43:11 pm
Thanks for the enlightenment

Wow.  Thanks HA.  Are you Bacon, Locke, or Descartes?  Has to be Bacon on Hogville, right?   

FBREW000

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/Arkansas-hoops-target-receives-good-news-off-the-court-36988641

Dixson got a 20 on ACT which is good news.  He will be here the following  weekend after an all star game.  WPS

intelligence

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 27, 2015, 10:33:02 am
Because you didn't comprehend before, now you can:

http://kentucky.247sports.com/Bolt/Monks-interest-in-Kentucky-very-strong-36981382

If you watch the actual interview when they ask him who his favorite schools are the first word out of his mouth is "Arkansas!" with a smile, followed by a scrambled last second "and Kentucky and Baylor you know.." Reporters were taking alot of his statements out of context throughout the entire interview.

ArkansasI

Malik should commit to the Hogs right now. Give Mike some momentum recruiting next year... Help the team that holds his heart.

If our staff can't build the 2016 recruiting class around a committed Malik Monk, then I'll be no less pissed if he makes an 11th hour change than if he picks another school to begin with.

nwahogfan1

I agree with you Brother.  Give me the top 10 best players in the US and I bet I could them to the NBA.  My goodness.  But what ever Calipari is selling though it must be good because he sure is getting them to like it.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 28, 2015, 08:45:27 pm
Malik should commit to the Hogs right now. Give Mike some momentum recruiting next year... Help the team that holds his heart.

If our staff can't build the 2016 recruiting class around a committed Malik Monk, then I'll be no less pissed if he makes an 11th hour change than if he picks another school to begin with.
I agree with you.  If Malik would commit early then he could help us sign a few more of his high caliper.

intelligence

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 28, 2015, 08:52:40 pm
I agree with you Brother.  Give me the top 10 best players in the US and I bet I could them to the NBA.  My goodness.  But what ever Calipari is selling though it must be good because he sure is getting them to like it.

Calipari is buying, not selling.

greenie

Thank you.  This is exactly correct, but unfortunately, Cal's numbers to the NBA is a great marketing tool for Kentucky.

Kevin

Another marketing tool is most of his players never see the inside of a class room.  They take their classes online. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: intelligence on April 28, 2015, 06:51:49 pm
If you watch the actual interview when they ask him who his favorite schools are the first word out of his mouth is "Arkansas!" with a smile, followed by a scrambled last second "and Kentucky and Baylor you know.." Reporters were taking alot of his statements out of context throughout the entire interview.

You are referencing an interview given to Jeff Drummond from AllWildcats.com (Scout.com).

My article I've linked, and the quotes I've provided, were provided to Chris Fisher at CatsPause.com (247 website).

Your context is flawed in this instance.

pfrg999

Quote from: intelligence on April 28, 2015, 09:03:51 pm
Calipari is buying, not selling.

Exactly...... But if Push comes to shove I am sure we have enough Hogvillians with college Eligibility left to fill the open roster spots....  ;)
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

870hogfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 29, 2015, 08:48:42 am
You are referencing an interview given to Jeff Drummond from AllWildcats.com (Scout.com).

My article I've linked, and the quotes I've provided, were provided to Chris Fisher at CatsPause.com (247 website).

Your context is flawed in this instance.

Your boy Pel going to be out of a job soon or is he going to follow Billy to OKC?

greenie

Quote from: Kevin on April 29, 2015, 06:04:25 am
Another marketing tool is most of his players never see the inside of a class room.  They take their classes online.

Wow, is this true?  Would make it pretty easy to have someone else do the work.

The Recruiting Guy

April 29, 2015, 10:10:21 pm #135 Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:22:44 pm by Richard Davenport
Quote from: FBREW000 on April 27, 2015, 07:07:41 pm
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Bolt/Arkansas-hoops-target-receives-good-news-off-the-court-36988641

Dixson got a 20 on ACT which is good news.  He will be here the following  weekend after an all star game.  WPS

FWIW,

I've mentioned in the past the interest level on Arkansas' part might not be what it appears. It isn't a slam dunk he visits next weekend

Swinesong1

Quote from: Richard Davenport on April 29, 2015, 10:10:21 pm
FWIW,

I've mentioned in the past the interest level on Arkansas' part might now be what it appears. It isn't a slam dunk he visits next weekend
Did you mean "not" instead of "now"?

The Recruiting Guy

Swinesong1

Quote from: Richard Davenport on April 29, 2015, 10:23:29 pm
Yes. Just changed.
Does that mean they feel good about other possible signee(s)?

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: Richard Davenport on April 29, 2015, 10:23:29 pm
Yes. Just changed.

I"m choosing to believe this means they think they have good or better options.

hogville38

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 21, 2015, 10:33:12 pm
That's just lefty. Just ignore him....lol

hogville38

Quote from: Kevin on April 29, 2015, 06:04:25 am
Man I hate Kentucky and how they run their program. It's like half these kids think the only way to the NBA is through slimball Cal. Why don't these kids realize if they are good enough to go, then they can go pro with other teams as well.

hogville38

Can you imagine how ugly it will get if Monk chooses Kentucky? We though it was bad when KJ left. Possible riot situation in Arkansas?  ???

yraciv

So is Kevaughn going to get a release when Donovan leaves for OKC? We still have room.....Yeah I went there, although the hope is slim.

rzrbackramsfan

If Donovan goes to okc, I don't see why the hope is slim of him coming here. i mean, he committed to Florida because of Donovan 100%, no?

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 30, 2015, 01:53:54 am
If Donovan goes to okc, I don't see why the hope is slim of him coming here. i mean, he committed to Florida because of Donovan 100%, no?

He hate Anton. Old news on HV.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Hawg Red

The hope is slim because many believe KeVaughn never wanted to play for Arkansas. The thought is he would pick another school if he sought a release, which we do not know if he will do.

ricepig

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 30, 2015, 07:41:32 am
The hope is slim because many believe KeVaughn never wanted to play for Arkansas. The thought is he would pick another school if he sought a release, which we do not know if he will do.

On the positive side KA could go to Kansas and remove their interest in Outlaw

The_Iceman

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 30, 2015, 08:21:17 am

On the positive side KA could go to Kansas and remove their interest in Outlaw

That wouldn't be a bad move for KA. Self would do a good job developing him over 4 years. I don't think Self does to well with the one-and-done types.