Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Winning more important than ever. ESPN loses 480,000...

Started by hawgon, October 31, 2017, 12:48:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgon

subscribers in a month.  Ignore the political content of the link and focus on the numbers.  ESPN may go belly up and even if it doesn't, it is unlikely that it renews the massive contract with the SEC.  Not only is ESPN dying but television as it is known is as well.  I don't know what will happen in the future, I have some ideas, but if you are viewed as a habitually losing program when things roll around for the next big thing, it might not be good.  We've got seven or eight years before the contract runs out.  We need to get it right and be in good shape when it does.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/10/31/espn-lost-480000-subscribers-october/

longpig

Lol you link to a crap propaganda site that may not even have one investigative journalist on it's payroll and say "ignore the political".   
Don't be scared, be smart.

EastexHawg

Like the NFL, ESPN doesn't seem to know who its customer base is.  I know that's not the point of your post, but it's a big part of their problem.

Yes, at some point SEC programs are probably going to have to depend more on the quality of the product they put on the field instead of relying on the SEC armored car backing up to the vault and unloading more money than they could possibly spend. 

hawgon

Quote from: longpig on October 31, 2017, 12:51:56 pm
Lol you link to a crap propaganda site that may not even have one investigative journalist on it's payroll and say "ignore the political".

Fine, they completely made up the story about ESPN losing 480,000 subscribers because they are white racist NAZIs.  Happy now?

RME

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 12:48:35 pm
subscribers in a month.  Ignore the political content of the link and focus on the numbers.  ESPN may go belly up and even if it doesn't, it is unlikely that it renews the massive contract with the SEC.  Not only is ESPN dying but television as it is known is as well.  I don't know what will happen in the future, I have some ideas, but if you are viewed as a habitually losing program when things roll around for the next big thing, it might not be good.  We've got seven or eight years before the contract runs out.  We need to get it right and be in good shape when it does.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/10/31/espn-lost-480000-subscribers-october/

Why are you posting this here? That doesn't pertain to us.

pignparadise

+1
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

hawgon

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 31, 2017, 12:55:53 pm

Losing record overall and 11-26 in conference.  Yep, that's us under Bert.

ricepig

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 31, 2017, 12:53:23 pm
Like the NFL, ESPN doesn't seem to know who its customer base is.  I know that's not the point of your post, but it's a big part of their problem.

Yes, at some point SEC programs are probably going to have to depend more on the quality of the product they put on the field instead of relying on the SEC armored car backing up to the vault and unloading more money than they could possibly spend. 

The SEC will just do as those FCS  schools will when they quit getting a cupcake check, cut back.

husker71

I think it was Ringer that said they were losing 15,000 per day and I think it is $7 a shot so that is substantial no matter what you think.

hoglady

He said ignore the political crap (the why) of the numbers. It's irrelevant to his point - which is ESPN is losing subscribers at a fast clip. The SEC money will dry up eventually because of said decline. Programs need to be successful when that happens to stay afloat - alternate sources of revenue will be needed.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

twistitup

ESPN will adjust and overcome just like many, many businesses have to do....belly up? No. TV is on the way out as we know it but ESPN is a brand - brands are difficult to create / develop and I don't see ESPN going anywhere as they are a powerful brand.

Will they need to change their business model? Yes. So does Wal Mart, Target, and many other businesses involved in today's online world. As the internet becomes more dominant many businesses will need to adjust - this includes ESPN
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

RME

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 12:57:04 pm
Losing record overall and 11-26 in conference.  Yep, that's us under Bert.

"Habitual losing" when we have a losing record under Bret in 1 of 4 complete seasons.

Might need to freshen up on some definitions.

I'm not a Bret fan. Guy's gotta go. But making stupid and irrelevant points has to go, too.

ricepig

Quote from: twistitup on October 31, 2017, 12:59:32 pm
ESPN will adjust and overcome just like many, many businesses have to do....belly up? No. TV is on the way out as we know it but ESPN is a brand - brands are difficult to create / develop and I don't see ESPN going anywhere as they are a powerful brand.

Will they need to change their business model? Yes. So does Wal Mart, Target, and many other businesses involved in today's online world. As the internet becomes more dominant many businesses will need to adjust - this includes ESPN

Correct, unless people completely quit watching sports in it's entirety, they'll have a pay platform of some sort. Will it generate as much money, too early to tell.

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 31, 2017, 12:55:53 pm
Historical average program.  A loser program as of late.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on October 31, 2017, 12:57:57 pm
The SEC will just do as those FCS  schools will when they quit getting a cupcake check, cut back.

Correct.  The first schools that will feel the impact will be the FCS and G5 programs.  P5 schools will reduce their payouts or opt out for neutral site games with corporate sponsorship.

Schools who rely on subsidies and student fees will feel the squeeze before any of the top revenue schools.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RME

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on October 31, 2017, 01:02:00 pm
Historical average program.  A loser program as of late.

1 out of the last 4 complete seasons with a losing record is a loser program? Interesting.

Top 25 all-time wins
Top 35 all-time winning percentage
Top 30 all-time games played

Now if things change from ESPN/television, we're gonna get kicked to the curb? You guys are grasping so hard at something to bitch about it's becoming hilarious. Like an ex-girlfriend bringing up a picture you took with some chick 5 years before you met her.

Lemme help you guys out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hobbies

factchecker

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 31, 2017, 01:04:11 pm
1 out of the last 4 complete seasons with a losing record is a loser program? Interesting.

Top 25 all-time wins
Top 30 all-time games played.

Now if things change from ESPN/television, we're gonna get kicked to the curb? You guys are grasping so hard at something to bitch about.

And a top revenue program even before the SEC television money.

If the tv money stops - it stops for everybody.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawgon

Obviously, the next go around will involve live streaming.  The best possible result would be if something like Netflix basically steps into the place of ESPN and pays conferences big money for the right to live stream their games.  Things might not change too much then. 

But, of course, the problem with that is that a school like Alabama could probably make more streaming its own games than as part of a conference package.  You could argue the pros and cons of it all, but streaming of games and certain select content would be a lot simpler and less costly than the Longhorn Network debacle.  At some point, schools are going to have to be good enough to be viable on their own streaming games or good enough so that they can argue that they are not a mere hanger on and deserve to be part of the package.

RME

Quote from: factchecker on October 31, 2017, 01:04:45 pm
And a top revenue program even before the SEC television money.

If the tv money stops - it stops for everybody.

Exactly.

elksnort

My understanding is that Arkansas has been in the black for years and certainly before the SEC network money, etc.

If the interest is there, a way will be found.

hawgon

Arkansas has long been in the black.  But what happens when you have expenditures based on a $115 million dollars a year of revenue that suddenly becomes $90 million? 

PygmalionEffect2

The money involved and the rate of increase in the money involved is unsustainable.

They kept trying to cover for it by increasing commercials and decreasing the product. (no longer stopping the clock on out of bounds plays, etc)

If I've got to watch 20 minutes of commercials an hour of football coverage so CBB can make $4+million a year and Saban whatever the heck he makes,

people are getting tired of it.

I watch probably 3 NFL games a year now for this very reason.  They've priced themselves out of the market with a poorer and poorer product.

Coaches don't deserve to make millions of dollars a year to coach football.  It's natural capitalism reigning in the excess.  (It's a slow process)
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Razorbackers

Breitbart is garbage. This is propaganda. ESPN is losing subscribers because everyone is losing subscribers.

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 12:53:47 pm
they are white racist NAZIs.  Happy now?

Correct.

hawgon

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 31, 2017, 01:11:08 pm
Breitbart is garbage. This is propaganda. ESPN is losing subscribers because everyone is losing subscribers.

Okay, that makes the problem worse then because it is a systemic problem unrelated to any current political conditions.

razorbackfaninar

ESPN is Owned by Disney, they aren't going out of business anytime soon. They are losing subscribers for the same reason that TNT and other cable channels are losing them at almost the same clip.  People either can't afford or don't want to pay the cost of cable.  What you are seeing is a regression to the mean as people with no interest in live sports no longer see the value in paying for cable.  This is a direct result of the rise of Hulu and Netflix. There was a time when people had no alternative, they would pay for ESPN because everything came in a bundle.  They didn't subscribe directly to ESPN it was just a part of whatever bundle, usually a tier two package, that they subscribed to.  Now people are dropping cable all together or just retaining a basic package to have their local channels.  Disney is launching it's own streaming service soon to compete with Netflix and my guess will be that streaming content is the next avenue that ESPN will take as well.  So in the future you will probably pay a flat fee like 9.99 per month and have access to all ESPN content

Next1_04

Razorbackers

Ignore the insane ramblings of this racist author from this racist website.

"Put this together with ESPN's daily dosage of liberal activism,  their disastrous handling of the Jemele Hill controversy, the Robert Lee fiasco, coupled with the likelihood that NFL games might soon disappear from their network; and it's very hard to see why anyone will be watching the network in the next few years.

Of course, at the rate in which the NFL is alienating its fan base, there's every chance that the NFL won't be the biggest sport in the land in 2021. And that's fine, ESPN and the NFL deserve each other"

Lets keep the altright circlejerking in the politics forum. This forum here needs to #StickToSports, irony intended.

hawgon

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 31, 2017, 01:12:30 pm
ESPN is Owned by Disney, they aren't going out of business anytime soon. They are losing subscribers for the same reason that TNT and other cable channels are losing them at almost the same clip.  People either can't afford or don't want to pay the cost of cable.  What you are seeing is a regression to the mean as people with no interest in live sports no longer see the value in paying for cable.  This is a direct result of the rise of Hulu and Netflix. There was a time when people had no alternative, they would pay for ESPN because everything came in a bundle.  They didn't subscribe directly to ESPN it was just a part of whatever bundle, usually a tier two package, that they subscribed to.  Now people are dropping cable all together or just retaining a basic package to have their local channels.  Disney is launching it's own streaming service soon to compete with Netflix and my guess will be that streaming content is the next avenue that ESPN will take as well.  So in the future you will probably pay a flat fee like 9.99 per month and have access to all ESPN content

And that is going to be a DRASTIC reduction in revenue because the amount of subscribers probably won't even be gen percent of the people who were had ESPN in their cable package.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 12:53:47 pm
Fine, they completely made up the story about ESPN losing 480,000 subscribers because they are white racist NAZIs.  Happy now?

They kind of are though

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 01:12:25 pm
Okay, that makes the problem worse then because it is a systemic problem unrelated to any current political conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord-cutting

bkjbearcat

And that's why if Arkansas moved to the Big 12, I don't think I would be dead set against it. In ten years the money ESPN/Disney is paying the SEC won't be there because it wont be there for any conference.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

hawgon

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 01:16:24 pm
Exactly, and that means ESPN's and everyone else's business model is failing.

Yeah, and they'll adapt or die. These numbers have very little to do with anything other than cord cutting, despite the wanton chicanery of bartshart and OP's musings. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 31, 2017, 01:04:11 pm

Top 25 all-time wins
Top 30 all-time games played

Now if things change from ESPN/television, we're gonna get kicked to the curb? You guys are grasping so hard at something to bitch about it's becoming hilarious. Like an ex-girlfriend bringing up a picture you took with some chick 5 years before you met her.

Lemme help you guys out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hobbies
The name of the game is what have you done lately. Most people below the age of 30 from outside Arkansas sees the razorbacks as a middle of the road program at best
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Michael D Huff AIA

ESPN needed a crystal ball. 

They needed to be able to predict the rise of digital and streaming services OTHER than Dish, DirecTV, or cable.  If they had seen this on the horizon, they wouldn't have overpaid for the right to show Monday Night Football @ $1.9 billion / year when they made the deal in 2013.  They also shouldn't have overpaid in 2016 for the right to show NBA games through 2024-25 @2.66 billion / year.  Maybe the $7.3 billion to show the NCAA playoff games for the next 12 years was a bad idea, too. 

Their financial bed is made.

factchecker

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 01:10:37 pm
Arkansas has long been in the black.  But what happens when you have expenditures based on a $115 million dollars a year of revenue that suddenly becomes $90 million?

Our last reported expenditure was $105,633,576.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

But if the revenue decreases that much you cut back and/or you find ways to make more money.

You agree to a neutral site game with corporate sponsorship that pays you money.

You cut out the neutral site game where you pay the stadium to play there.

You fire an underperforming coach and hire and up and comer (cheaper) that will energize the fan base.

You do whatever you have to do if that doomsday scenario happens.

My question is this:  What do you do if you are a program that currently breaks even?  There are a ton of athletic programs (some in state) who barely make enough money to operate.  Do they increase student fees?  Do they take more taxpayer money?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

RME

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on October 31, 2017, 01:19:12 pm
The name of the game is what have you done lately. Most people below the age of 30 from outside Arkansas sees the razorbacks as a middle of the road program at best

And that's reason enough to believe we'd be darned for all eternity should the hypothetical original post come to fruition?

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 01:15:08 pm
And that is going to be a DRASTIC reduction in revenue because the amount of subscribers probably won't even be gen percent of the people who were had ESPN in their cable package.

Maybe so, but the only channel I watch regularly is ESPN and their affiliates so if I had the option to drop the remainder of my channels and just have ESPN I would do so in a heartbeat. I have three kids, and they don't watch TV they watch Netflix, Hulu, You Tube.  The old way that we consume our media is changing. ESPN will probably find a way to make plenty of money in the new model.  What that might mean for the Razorbacks is anybody's guess, but if hard decisions have to be made about what teams get selected for whatever new platform is upcoming it wont be based on wins and losses.  It will be based on potential subscribers which will doom Arkansas anyway. If we won 12 games next year and got every set of eyeballs in the state glued to their TV sets that's still 2.9 million people, and that's not enough to move the needle, so Arkansas in a scenario like the one proposed by the OP is a non starter   

hawgon

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 31, 2017, 01:18:02 pm
Yeah, and they'll adapt or die. These numbers have very little to do with anything other than cord cutting, despite the wanton chicanery of bartshart and OP's musings.

Who the Frank is arguing with your dumbass about that?  No one.  The point is that our revenue stream as it currently stands is drying up or at least changing.  NO ONE BUT YOU CARES ABOUT THE POLITICAL ANGLE.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 01:23:33 pm
Who the Frank is arguing with your dumbass about that?  No one.  The point is that our revenue stream as it currently stands is drying up or at least changing.  NO ONE BUT YOU CARES ABOUT THE POLITICAL ANGLE.

Hey moron. Your entire article is a political attack on ESPN. You can't darn on the floor and then say ignore the darn this carpet is ugly.

Dumbass.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

factchecker

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 01:23:33 pm
The point is that our revenue stream as it currently stands is drying up or at least changing.

That is a dumb point because it's not only our revenue stream, it's everybody's.

Remove the tv money and we are still a top revenue program.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawgon

Quote from: Razorbackers on October 31, 2017, 01:24:46 pm
Hey moron. Your entire article is a political attack on ESPN. You can't darn on the floor and then say ignore the darn this carpet is ugly.

Dumbass.

I said IGNORE THE POLITICAL. 

Razorbackers

hawgon

Quote from: factchecker on October 31, 2017, 01:26:20 pm
That is a dumb point because it's not only our revenue stream, it's everybody's.

Remove the tv money and we are still a top revenue program.

WITH EXPENDITURES BASED ON THE CURRENT REVENUE. 

Razorbackers

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 01:27:31 pm

Why are you allcapsing everyone? Your article sucks. Deal with it.

factchecker

Quote from: hawgon on October 31, 2017, 01:27:31 pm

Quote from: factchecker on October 31, 2017, 01:20:38 pm
Our last reported expenditure was $105,633,576.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

But if the revenue decreases that much you cut back and/or you find ways to make more money.

You agree to a neutral site game with corporate sponsorship that pays you money.

You cut out the neutral site game where you pay the stadium to play there.

You fire an underperforming coach and hire and up and comer (cheaper) that will energize the fan base.

You do whatever you have to do if that doomsday scenario happens.

My question is this:  What do you do if you are a program that currently breaks even?  There are a ton of athletic programs (some in state) who barely make enough money to operate.  Do they increase student fees?  Do they take more taxpayer money?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ipigsooie

Dumb article.  Everyone knows that people are dropping cable and satellite.  People watch tv using this crazy stuff called the internets. Every tv station is losing viewers. Next are we going to get a post about how CD sales are down due to the political views of the artists? Geez

factchecker

We make 19 million more than we spend.

19 million.

Other schools break even or lose money.

Florida State spent 2 million more than they made last year.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawgon

Quote from: factchecker on October 31, 2017, 01:29:36 pm
We make 19 million more than we spend.

19 million.

Other schools break even or lose money.

Florida State spent 2 million more than they made last year.

Not anymore we don't.  We just took on bonds for a stadium expansion.