Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema has high praise for senior center Frank Ragnow.

Started by gchamblee, June 07, 2017, 11:29:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=News-Notes--Quotes--June-7-2017

"I believe Frank is the most talented center I've ever coached," Bielema said on SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly. "I've had a couple high draft picks, first-rounders, second-rounders. He's on that level. Now he's got a bunch of other guys around him who have played good football. The concept of what we're able to do up front is growing."

Wisconsin center Travis Frederick was picked No. 31 in 2013, center Peter Konz was a second-rounder in 2012, and Bill Nagy was a seventh-rounder in 2011.

LRRandy

Quote from: gchamblee on June 07, 2017, 11:29:20 am

"I believe Frank is the most talented center I've ever coached," Bielema said on SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly. "I've had a couple high draft picks, first-rounders, second-rounders. He's on that level. Now he's got a bunch of other guys around him who have played good football. The concept of what we're able to do up front is growing."

Wisconsin center Travis Frederick was picked No. 31 in 2013, center Peter Konz was a second-rounder in 2012, and Bill Nagy was a seventh-rounder in 2011.

floating around the web reading various preview articles,  Ragnow is getting a lot of positive press. Maybe the oline will gell by osmosis off of him being so good.
This is fun, isn't it.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

GuvHog

I believe Ragnow and his team mates up front will surprise a lot of people this year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on June 07, 2017, 12:20:54 pm
I believe Ragnow and his team mates up front will surprise a lot of people this year.

I worry about LT, but other than that, they couldn't be worse than last year.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

longpig

Quote from: GuvHog on June 07, 2017, 12:20:54 pm

Damn sure better.  CKA has been all talk no block so far.
Don't be scared, be smart.

redleg

He's been the line coach for one year. Give the guy a chance. Geez!  :D
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

GolfnHog

Quote from: longpig on June 07, 2017, 02:28:18 pm
Damn sure better.  CKA has been all talk no block so far.

He's been here for one full season  so last year the learning curve was steep and full of unknowns. Filling 3 OL positions and finding the right chemistry with the starting 5 was damn sure a work in progress but had to be part of the maturation. Granted at times the OL took 1 step forward and 2 back and this had many of the self anointed experts, that are microwavable, in a tizzy. I anticipate there will be great strides in the performance and  consistency this season that was lacking a bit last year.

The greatest issue that bit this team last year was that a couple of coaches lost their players due to players failing to "buy in" and I don't suspect that was on the offensive side of the ball.  That issue should be resolved.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

GuvHog

Quote from: GolfnHog on June 07, 2017, 04:06:07 pm
He's been here for one full season  so last year the learning curve was steep and full of unknowns. Filling 3 OL positions and finding the right chemistry with the starting 5 was damn sure a work in progress but had to be part of the maturation. Granted at times the OL took 1 step forward and 2 back and this had many of the self anointed experts, that are microwavable, in a tizzy. I anticipate there will be great strides in the performance and  consistency this season that was lacking a bit last year.

The greatest issue that bit this team last year was that a couple of coaches lost their players due to players failing to "buy in" and I don't suspect that was on the offensive side of the ball.  That issue should be resolved.

100% agree. I have no problems with Anderson, he inherited a situation that was a bit of a mess last year. I too believe we'll see significant improvement in that area this season.

FANONTHEHILL

June 07, 2017, 04:45:50 pm #9 Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:14:15 pm by FANONTHEHILL
Frank has taken control of this offensive line.  They are currently in Hoganese class that started at 4:00pm.  After that and some field work, they have what my son called "Frank time".  They did it at the end of spring practices as well. Frank takes them aside and points out any mistakes and anything that they need to tighten up.  Then they all do extra drills, conditioning runs, or up-downs.  He has taken over this group.  In my day you would say that Frank was "leading by example", they hate that term.  Now it's "do your job".  If someone needs to be "led", then they aren't all in and prepared.  They were angry and embarrassed at the end of last season. Things have been different since January. You will see a much more intense and focused Oline this fall.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

June 07, 2017, 05:39:26 pm #10 Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 06:05:09 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: GuvHog on June 07, 2017, 04:37:21 pm
100% agree. I have no problems with Anderson, he inherited a situation that was a bit of a mess last year. I too believe we'll see significant improvement in that area this season.

I'm not sure if you can say that he inherited "a mess". I think what you can say is that Anderson is more of a "technician" about playing the O-Line than Chaney is/was.

Learning a more detailed and technical approach to line play requires time. From what I understand, they have got it now.
Go Hogs Go!

JRHoward

Woooo Pig!

LZH

Quote from: redleg on June 07, 2017, 03:42:51 pm
He's been the line coach for one year. Give the guy a chance. Geez!  :D
:razorback:

No way man.....fire everybody!

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on June 07, 2017, 06:37:29 pm
No way man.....fire everybody!

Just change the locks and put a note on the door. Aim one of those cameras for construction progress at the door so we can watch it live.

daBoar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 07, 2017, 05:39:26 pm
I'm not sure if you can say that he inherited "a mess".
Lost Henry and Smothers, and then surprisingly Kirkland.  Those were three very good linemen.  I think it was a mess.

MuskogeeHogFan

June 07, 2017, 07:09:51 pm #15 Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 07:19:56 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: daBoar on June 07, 2017, 07:02:40 pm
Lost Henry and Smothers, and then surprisingly Kirkland.  Those were three very good linemen.  I think it was a mess.

Yeah but what made it all the more difficult was having to learn new footwork and technique, which would have happened even if we retained both of those guys.

Henry had nothing to do with it except for his chip blocks in pass protection. Of course there were times last season that turned out to be a pretty big deal. And if you want to say that, you could also say that losing Collins hurt too because not only did RB's not hit the right hole at times last season, but they missed on pass protection responsibilities at times as well. All of which the O-line ended up being blamed.

So no, I don't think he inherited a mess, I just think there was a learning curve involved and not enough time to learn it. A challenge? Yes. A mess? I guess it depends on your perspective. Again, from what I understand, they have it down now.

Go Hogs Go!

razorbacker3

Quote from: gchamblee on June 07, 2017, 11:29:20 am

“I believe Frank is the most talented center I’ve ever coached,” Bielema said on SportsTalk with Bo Mattingly. “I’ve had a couple high draft picks, first-rounders, second-rounders. He’s on that level. Now he’s got a bunch of other guys around him who have played good football. The concept of what we’re able to do up front is growing.”

Let's not forget Travis Swanson, a top three hog center of all time.

longpig

Quote from: GolfnHog on June 07, 2017, 04:06:07 pm

I'm sorry but what he had to work with wasn't THAT bad.  A lot of teams would have loved to have had the talent we had there.  Anderson over sold and under delivered all season.  There was a huge gap between how prepared our O line was and what he thought it was all season long.  Hopefully he learned from his mistakes and gets it going this year.
Don't be scared, be smart.

rljjr

Quote from: longpig on June 07, 2017, 11:52:14 pm
I'm sorry but what he had to work with wasn't THAT bad.  A lot of teams would have loved to have had the talent we had there.  Anderson over sold and under delivered all season.  There was a huge gap between how prepared our O line was and what he thought it was all season long.  Hopefully he learned from his mistakes and gets it going this year.

Living by your avatar sig, I see.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 07, 2017, 04:45:50 pm
Frank has taken control of this offensive line.  They are currently in Hoganese class that started at 4:00pm.  After that and some field work, they have what my son called "Frank time".  They did it at the end of spring practices as well. Frank takes them aside and points out any mistakes and anything that they need to tighten up.  Then they all do extra drills, conditioning runs, or up-downs.  He has taken over this group.  In my day you would say that Frank was "leading by example", they hate that term.  Now it's "do your job".  If someone needs to be "led", then they aren't all in and prepared.  They were angry and embarrassed at the end of last season. Things have been different since January. You will see a much more intense and focused Oline this fall.

I like. Coaches only get so much time with players, especially in the off-season. If the "Frank time" isn't rubbing other players wrong, which this report suggests it isn't, all good.  I do worry a bit about  Hjalte. Coaches are high on him. So I defer a lot to that. Moreover, I am no expert on the ins and outs of line play, but they seem to believe that once he locks on you, you're contained. Unfortunately, both last season and during what I saw in the spring "game" he whiffed a lot.  When you whiff, you're not containing anyone.

EFBAB

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 07, 2017, 07:09:51 pm
Yeah but what made it all the more difficult was having to learn new footwork and technique, which would have happened even if we retained both of those guys.

Henry had nothing to do with it except for his chip blocks in pass protection. Of course there were times last season that turned out to be a pretty big deal. And if you want to say that, you could also say that losing Collins hurt too because not only did RB's not hit the right hole at times last season, but they missed on pass protection responsibilities at times as well. All of which the O-line ended up being blamed.

So no, I don't think he inherited a mess, I just think there was a learning curve involved and not enough time to learn it. A challenge? Yes. A mess? I guess it depends on your perspective. Again, from what I understand, they have it down now.

When I used the term "a bit of a mess", I meant that he basically had to rebuild the O Line because he only had 2 returning starters. That's a tough job for a first year O line coach.

gchamblee

Quote from: longpig on June 07, 2017, 11:52:14 pm

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on June 08, 2017, 08:01:53 am
I like. Coaches only get so much time with players, especially in the off-season. If the "Frank time" isn't rubbing other players wrong, which this report suggests it isn't, all good.  I do worry a bit about  Hjalte. Coaches are high on him. So I defer a lot to that. Moreover, I am no expert on the ins and outs of line play, but they seem to believe that once he locks on you, you're contained. Unfortunately, both last season and during what I saw in the spring "game" he whiffed a lot.  When you whiff, you're not containing anyone.

EFBAB

As far as the guys being rubbed wrong by the extra work with Frank, it's not a concern.  They are all on the same page and are a lot closer than anyone could ever imagine.  It's family and Frank is just the big brother.  You also have to remember that Frank could easily be going through OTAs with an NFL team this summer, rather than here with Arkansas.  The guys see that and know he has given something up for them as well. 

About Hjalte whiffing on a block in the scrimmage, there we're a handful of plays in the scrimmage where the Oline was in a slide protection.  The defense stunted with backside slants.  If the tackle can't reach that slant, two things should happen, the RB should step into the hole and/or the QB should float away from the slant.  It's just part of the chess match.  If a player recognizes that being slanted into, they should try to chip the slanter to make the backsides job easier.  Sometimes that chip looks like a whiff when the backside OL or RB don't get there.  Hjalte will be fine.  Hjalte's biggest issue last year was patience. Being overly aggressive and not letting defenders come to him and engage. A year of OL experience will make a huge difference.  When you think about it, he'd never played guard and started in the SEC the first time he played the position.  If you look at it objectively, Hjalte had a good year in 2016.  In 2017 and 2018, he will only be better.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

daBoar

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on June 10, 2017, 07:08:50 am
They are all on the same page and are a lot closer than anyone could ever imagine.  It's family and Frank is just the big brother. 
Thanks for your takes.