Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas' First 25 years in the SEC vs. First 25 years in the SWC

Started by Ben, June 04, 2017, 05:00:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

This is a comparison of Arkansas's first 25 seasons in the SEC and in the SWC.

SWC (1915-39): 36-51-7 (42%), 7 winning seasons, 2 conference titles (1 forfeited due to ineligible player)
SEC (1992-16): 89-112-2 (44%), 7 winning seasons, 3 division titles (1 due to Alabama being on probation), 0 Conf titles

What is your judgement on these numbers?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

hawgon

Arkansas didn't get consistently competitive in the SWC until 1958 when they hired a good coach.  The same will eventually happen in the SEC.  In college football, the coach, above all else is the deciding factor in a program's success.

NuttinItUp

The most striking thing to me is 94 games in 25 years (avg. of 3.74 gms/yr) vs. 203 games in 25 years. (avg. of 8.12 gms/yr).

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Why not look at the first 25 after integration. 1915 is kind of too far back to be relevant

LZH

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on June 04, 2017, 05:14:13 pm
Why not look at the first 25 after integration. 1915 is kind of too far back to be relevant

...back when our OOC schedule included Conway Teacher's Union and Rolla High School.

NuttinItUp

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dr Carl aka Shorthog on June 04, 2017, 05:14:13 pm

How about the last 25 years in the SWC?

1966-1991:  204-88-8 (.693)
Go Hogs Go!

HamSammich

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 04, 2017, 05:26:47 pm
How about the last 25 years in the SWC?

1966-1991:  204-88-8 (.693)

Ding ding winner

Cherry picking stats for your agenda is sad.

AFWarrior83

Quote from: hawgon on June 04, 2017, 05:07:40 pm
Arkansas didn't get consistently competitive in the SWC until 1958 when they hired a good coach.  The same will eventually happen in the SEC.  In college football, the coach, above all else is the deciding factor in a program's success.

This is the absolute truth!  Even Michigan and Alabama had their struggles until they hired an elite head coach.  Spurrier even managed to turn USC into a respectable football program.  I like Coach Bielema, but he's just not in the same league as Saban, Harbaugh, or even Spurrier.  Petrino was the elite coach we needed, but he screwed things up!

Hopefully Coach B can make me eat crow and prove me wrong.  He did have a lot of success at Wisconsin, so there's still hope.  I'm just not satisfied with the results under him thus far on the field.  He's had enough time to fully implement his style with his players, so no more excuses.
Hogville member since 2005.

WorfHog

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on June 04, 2017, 06:01:26 pm
This is the absolute truth!  Even Michigan and Alabama had their struggles until they hired an elite head coach.  Spurrier even managed to turn USC into a respectable football program.  I like Coach Bielema, but he's just not in the same league as Saban, Harbaugh, or even Spurrier.  Petrino was the elite coach we needed, but he screwed things up!

Hopefully Coach B can make me eat crow and prove me wrong.  He did have a lot of success at Wisconsin, so there's still hope.  I'm just not satisfied with the results under him thus far on the field.  He's had enough time to fully implement his style with his players, so no more excuses.

Seems like getting a college guy coming out of the NFL is a good move.

rlamb

Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, Butch Davis, Joe Gibbs, Tommy Tuberville.
The Kansas Coach in basketball.