Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking over our starting Defensive lineup

Started by nwahogfan1, May 31, 2017, 01:39:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

We have 3 new coaches on Defense and some player playing completely new positions so should I expect a better defense this year?  I know I want a more aggressive attacking defense but should I expect that in the first year? 

Also how many of these guys will make the post season All SEC top 3 teams?  Agim and Greenlaw if healthy and at least one of the back 4? 

DEs are Agim and T. J. Smith and NG is Capps
ILBs are  Greenlaw who did not practice in the spring and D. Harris
OLBs are R. Ramsey who was redruited as pass rushing DE and K. Roesler who started out as a walk on DE.  Zero SEC experience as LBs
CB  Toliver and Pulley.   These guys have SEC experience so we need some big plays from these guys.
S  S. Ramirez and Coley.   See above.

To me we need improvement on Defense this year but with a new scheme and not being able to recruit to this scheme will we get what we need from this group?

What is success for this defense?  In SEC can we hold teams to under 400 YPG  and under 25 PPG?  Can we hold teams to a lousy 3rd down percentage?  If we do is this success?  I think so we will see.

Seebs

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

gchamblee

Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the "loser," and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round. I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theater of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world. Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength. In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment. When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc., Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A., along with a 3×5 card reading, "Please use this M&M for breeding purposes." This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this "grant money." I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion. There can be only one.

bphi11ips

Quote from: gchamblee on May 31, 2017, 02:00:01 pm
Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the "loser," and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round. I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theater of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world. Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength. In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment. When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc., Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A., along with a 3×5 card reading, "Please use this M&M for breeding purposes." This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this "grant money." I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion. There can be only one.

Finally a recipe for Frito Pie.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RazorBassin

Whenever I get a package of plain M&Ms, I make it my duty to continue the strength and robustness of the candy as a species. To this end, I hold M&M duels. Taking two candies between my thumb and forefinger, I apply pressure, squeezing them together until one of them cracks and splinters. That is the “loser,” and I eat the inferior one immediately. The winner gets to go another round. I have found that, in general, the brown and red M&Ms are tougher, and the newer blue ones are genetically inferior. I have hypothesized that the blue M&Ms as a race cannot survive long in the intense theater of competition that is the modern candy and snack-food world. Occasionally I will get a mutation, a candy that is misshapen, or pointier, or flatter than the rest. Almost invariably this proves to be a weakness, but on very rare occasions it gives the candy extra strength. In this way, the species continues to adapt to its environment. When I reach the end of the pack, I am left with one M&M, the strongest of the herd. Since it would make no sense to eat this one as well, I pack it neatly in an envelope and send it to M&M Mars, A Division of Mars, Inc., Hackettstown, NJ 17840-1503 U.S.A., along with a 3×5 card reading, “Please use this M&M for breeding purposes.” This week they wrote back to thank me, and sent me a coupon for a free 1/2 pound bag of plain M&Ms. I consider this “grant money.” I have set aside the weekend for a grand tournament. From a field of hundreds, we will discover the True Champion. There can be only one.

This may be the best post I have read on here in a while, at least the best today.  Thanks for the laugh!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 31, 2017, 01:39:48 pm
We have 3 new coaches on Defense and some player playing completely new positions so should I expect a better defense this year?  I know I want a more aggressive attacking defense but should I expect that in the first year? 

Also how many of these guys will make the post season All SEC top 3 teams?  Agim and Greenlaw if healthy and at least one of the back 4? 

OLBs are R. Ramsey who was redruited as pass rushing DE and K. Roesler who started out as a walk on DE.  Zero SEC experience as LBs
CB  Toliver and Pulley.   These guys have SEC experience so we need some big plays from these guys.

To me we need improvement on Defense this year but with a new scheme and not being able to recruit to this scheme will we get what we need from this group?

What is success for this defense?  In SEC can we hold teams to under 400 YPG  and under 25 PPG?  Can we hold teams to a lousy 3rd down percentage?  If we do is this success?  I think so we will see.

Post Spring Depth Chart shows this in terms of the two deep.

Razor OLB:  Ramsey, Eugene
DE: Agim, Watts
NT: Jackson, Capps
DE: T.J. Smith, Guidry
Hog OLB: Roessler, Bell
WLB: Greenlaw, Fisher or Morgan
MLB: D. Harris, J. Harris
CB: Pulley, Tutt
NB: Richardson, Liddell
FS: Ramirez, Liddell
SS: Coley, Miller
CB: Toliver, Richardson

The 3-4 style that we will be playing is easier to understand and has fewer pre-snap reads so our guys should be able to get aligned properly and play with their athleticism rather than having that subdued by having more reads and having to think about what to do. This allows them to make more plays and hopefully, be in better position to make plays in the first place. The 3-4 is a more aggressive, attacking style of defense that helps preclude the ability of the offense to read what it is we intend to do, or from which direction we intend to bring pressure. Being so very predictable last year made it a lot easier for opposing offenses to prepare for us and move our players around on the field like Pawns on a Chess Board (see Texas A&M and making Trevor Knight look like an All American).

Success for this defense should be defined as cutting the big plays allowed last season in half and a goal of total defense being 375 yards per game or less. Add to that averaging 3 sacks per game, improving TFL to 7 per game and improving RZ Defense from .854 to .783.
Go Hogs Go!

247Hog

Best thing i've read in weeks! Well done.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

LZH

I have underestimated you....you just might be as [CENSORED] up as I am.

MuskogeeHogFan

I love M&M's, though I don't eat them anymore (watching the waistline and all), but I am still rather fond of staying on topic and though you are quite funny gchamblee and quite imaginative, I would hope that all of you would respect the OP's topic and refrain from creative writing. It's good stuff and all, just not on topic. I know, "party-pooper" and all, but respect the OP.
Go Hogs Go!

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 31, 2017, 07:20:03 pm
I love M&M's, though I don't eat them anymore (watching the waistline and all), but I am still rather fond of staying on topic and though you are quite funny gchamblee and quite imaginative, I would hope that all of you would respect the OP's topic and refrain from creative writing. It's good stuff and all, just not on topic. I know, "party-pooper" and all, but respect the OP.

You are right. I just did a copypasta response because it felt like this subject has been covered numerous times. That was unfair to the OP and I do apologize.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: gchamblee on June 01, 2017, 09:08:25 am
You are right. I just did a copypasta response because it felt like this subject has been covered numerous times. That was unfair to the OP and I do apologize.

If that is copyrighted material you need to post a link or I'll have to delete the post and any quotes that contain your post.

On another note, please contribute to the thread and make a comment. I tried to address the OP's questions the best that I could.
Go Hogs Go!

Dominicanhog

To have a better D two thing need to happen....drastically reduce the big plays and get some pressure on the QB... it's been the same problem for a while....

I think we see progress on defense, my expectation is based on better leadership from CPR, and our back 4 is probably the best since CBB got here..

My concern is the LB's.. still thin and and inexperienced... seems we've been hearing this for years...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dominicanhog on June 01, 2017, 09:44:19 am
To have a better D two thing need to happen....drastically reduce the big plays and get some pressure on the QB... it's been the same problem for a while....

I think we see progress on defense, my expectation is based on better leadership from CPR, and our back 4 is probably the best since CBB got here..

My concern is the LB's.. still thin and and inexperienced... seems we've been hearing this for years...

I don't know about thin. When was the last time that we could say that we had 18 guys in the LB group? Now less experienced than we would like? I agree with that in terms of depth.
Go Hogs Go!

311Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 01, 2017, 09:49:14 am
I don't know about thin. When was the last time that we could say that we had 18 guys in the LB group? Now less experienced than we would like? I agree with that in terms of depth.

i feel some of the 18 are playing out of position, or at least the position they have played since they got to campus.  I worry about LB speed because to me that is where we got burned no pun intended last year.  Just to slow in coverage.

BigE_23

I have only one request for our defense, and I don't think it's too much to ask.

JUST TACKLE!!!!!

We simply cut the missed tackles, and we automatically drastically improve. I don't care who plays where, who starts, what defense we run...or even who the damn coordinator is. Just freaking tackle.

Maximus Tusk

Quote from: BigE_23 on June 01, 2017, 10:51:51 am
I have only one request for our defense, and I don't think it's too much to ask.

JUST TACKLE!!!!!

We simply cut the missed tackles, and we automatically drastically improve. I don't care who plays where, who starts, what defense we run...or even who the damn coordinator is. Just freaking tackle.
What he said...

porkbellys

We must get off blocks to be able to tackle. It got old watching our defenders do the "two step" with blockers for yards in all directions, as the ball carrier does the "hustle" down the field.
No offence to Richard but don't be a Dick.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

DE's are Agim and Watts. NG is Jackson
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

gchamblee

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 01, 2017, 09:15:34 am
If that is copyrighted material you need to post a link or I'll have to delete the post and any quotes that contain your post.

On another note, please contribute to the thread and make a comment. I tried to address the OP's questions the best that I could.

It is not copyrighted material. Again I apologize for making crazy so readily available in this thread. As for his concerns about our defense, I have no predictions because we will be running a new scheme with new personnel under a new DC. I am hopeful but not confident. I expect to see improvements and more aggressive play, but I think it will take us a couple of years before we are a defense that gets talked about. However, I do believe we finally got the right man as our DC.

redleg

Roesler will play, but he won't start. Look for Jamario Bell or Gabe Richardson to step up at that OLB eventually. Ramsey was not recruited as a pass rusher, but that is what he is good at and what he will be asked to do. Greenlaw has lots of game experience. Harris has limited experience, but looked great in his limited snaps in 2016. The secondary will be better if two things happen: 1. the front seven gets more pressure on opposing QBs, and 2. if the secondary is, in fact, better due to experience and better coaching.
:razorback:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

MuskogeeHogFan

June 02, 2017, 08:17:59 am #20 Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 08:38:09 am by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: BigE_23 on June 01, 2017, 10:51:51 am

JUST TACKLE!!!!!

Quote from: porkbellys on June 01, 2017, 12:27:21 pm
We must get off blocks to be able to tackle. It got old watching our defenders do the "two step" with blockers for yards in all directions, as the ball carrier does the "hustle" down the field.

After reviewing last year and the seasons of our opponents, it looks like much of our success or failure is going to come down to how effective our front 7 turns out to be in playing run defense and then providing pressure in passing situations.

1(a). Proper scheme
1(b). Being properly aligned
1(c). Greater aggressiveness and pressure from different directions
1(d). Proper technique
1(e). Timely and effective adjustments by the staff during games

Should result in:

2. Limiting big plays in the run and pass defense
3. Improved tackling
4. More sacks
5. More TFL
6. More INT's
7. Fewer sustained drives by opponents
8. Fewer points scored by opponents
9. Better field position for the offense

I'm not too concerned about the Secondary at this point. I'm more concerned about how effectively the front 7 play against quality opponents. If they play well I think we will win a lot more games this year.
Go Hogs Go!