Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reality Check

Started by Rzback, May 30, 2017, 09:54:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Deep Shoat on May 31, 2017, 03:40:02 pm
Here is some reality for you: we will play 12 games this fall against teams both in and out of the SEC.  Not one of them has been played yet.  Once they are, the results will be tallied and an SEC West champion will be crowned.  If it is anybody other than Ole Miss, that team will play a 13th game, in Atlanta, against the winner of the SEC East, to decide the overall champion of the SEC.  That team, almost without fail, will be one of the 4 teams in the 3rd iteration of the College Football Playoffs.  The other teams in the SEC, sans Ole Miss, will be chosen for a myriad of bowl games, assuming they win 6 games against FBS competition (most will).  They will then play teams from other conferences in said bowl games, winning most and losing a few.  The one team that wins the SEC and ends up in the College football playoff will play another team in the College Football Playoff.  If they win, they will then move on to the College Footbal Playoff Championship, where they will have a contest against the winner of the other College Football Playoff Semi-Final.  The winner of this Contest will be declared the College Football National Champion. 

At that time, Coach Bielema, his staff, and Athletic Director Jeff Long (and his bosses) will look at the results of the season.  Barring some unforseen moral failure or terminal illness, Coach Bret Bielema will then begin to prepare for the 2018 season.

Now that's reality
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: RazorWest on May 31, 2017, 03:42:17 pm
Are you suggesting it's our out of conference schedule that is hurting us more than the SEC?

I'm just asking what our average wins/season have been since joining the SEC, simple as that.

Bubba's Bruisers

Don't know how you can't give Long credit for hiring BP.  He, in fact, did hire him.  It may have been a hire that fell right into his lap, but a hire nonetheless.

Regarding BB, the jury is still out on him IMO, but given the circumstances at the time, it was an obvious hire.   
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hogsanity

Quote from: GuvHog on May 31, 2017, 02:44:28 pm
IMO (and the opinion of some others on this board) it means winning 8 or more regular season games every year and winning the bowl games. I gave CBB some slack for his first year (for obvious reasons) and saw significant improvement in his second year but the last 2 years were unacceptable to me.

When was the last time, over an extended stretch, the Hogs averaged 8 or more wins per year?  For arguments sake lets use 5 yr, 7 yr and 10 yr lengths. Might have to go back to hatfield for 5, and JFB for the other 2. Even if you look at bp's 4 seasons, he averaged 8.5 and that was with 13 games in 3 of the 4 seasons. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wildhog

Quote from: hogsanity on May 31, 2017, 03:46:56 pm
When was the last time, over an extended stretch, the Hogs averaged 8 or more wins per year?  For arguments sake lets use 5 yr, 7 yr and 10 yr lengths. Might have to go back to hatfield for 5, and JFB for the other 2. Even if you look at bp's 4 seasons, he averaged 8.5 and that was with 13 games in 3 of the 4 seasons. 

I think we've averaged just a shade under 8 wins/year since joining the SEC.  So yeah, expecting 8 wins/year is reasonable.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hawgar The Horrible

Pure, unadulterated, idiocy. 5 months since the last game was played, yet people still think they can swing some opinions of CBB in a meaningless forum where practically NOBODY has any stroke.

Stay home, burn your Hog gear and/or lose your damn minds. It doesn't matter. Some of you foam at the mouth about the Razorbacks being irrelevant when you're in far worse shape even with a place to sound off and show your collective asses.

I said it earlier...comical.

There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

MuskogeeHogFan

Here's a reality check that led to many of our losses last year. I'm not discounting the lack of 2nd half offense in a few games or other games where the offense just seemed out of sync, but the scheme and coaching failures on the defensive side of the ball helped remove any potential wind that we might have had in our sails at times.

TX A&M:  Total Plays-59 for 591 yards.  Big Plays-16 for 504 yards.  Remaining Plays-43 for 87 yards.
Alabama: Total Plays-51 for 517 yards.  Big Plays-12 for 345 yards.  Remaining Plays-39 for 172 yards.
Auburn:   Total Plays-69 for 632 yards.  Big Plays-18 for 440 yards.  Remaining Plays-51 for 192 yards.
LSU:       Total Plays-67 for 547 yards.  Big Plays-18 for 408 yards.  Remaining Plays-49 for 139 yards.
Miss St:   Total Plays-68 for 533 yards.  Big Plays-17 for 368 yards.  Remaining Plays-51 for 165 yards.
Missouri:  Total Plays-56 for 399 yards.  Big Plays-10 for 334 yards.  Remaining Plays-46 for 65 yards.
Va Tech:  Total Plays-78 for 402 yards.  Big Plays-16 for 279 yards.  Remaining Plays-62 for 123 yards.

That should be eye-opening. Even if we just cut the big plays allowed in half in 2017, we will win more games than we did last year and that is if there isn't any improvement on offense.

Go Hogs Go!

Gonzo

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 31, 2017, 04:45:31 pm
Pure, unadulterated, idiocy. 5 months since the last game was played, yet people still think they can swing some opinions of CBB in a meaningless forum where practically NOBODY has any stroke.

Stay home, burn your Hog gear and/or lose your damn minds. It doesn't matter. Some of you foam at the mouth about the Razorbacks being irrelevant when you're in far worse shape even with a place to sound off and show your collective asses.

I said it earlier...comical.

Hhmm, you wade right into the fight with the best of 'em around here trying to swing opinions about CBB, so are you including yourself in that irrelevant comedy?

Go Hogs!

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Gonzo on May 31, 2017, 04:55:41 pm

Hhmm, you wade right into the fight with the best of 'em around here trying to swing opinions about CBB, so are you including yourself in that irrelevant comedy?

Go Hogs!

I have a tendency to "wade" into the conversation when CBB is called lazy, fat, and a POS by members of this board that I KNOW can't carry his lunch bucket. In character, income, wife or any other measure of manhood. 

jcbville

Oh good lord. Pull your skirt up Nancy.

hoghearted

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 30, 2017, 05:39:37 pm
My hope is to be proven completely wrong, but I believe Bret has taken us about as far as he can in terms of on-the-field results.

ditto
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Gonzo

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 31, 2017, 05:10:39 pm
I have a tendency to "wade" into the conversation when CBB is called lazy, fat, and a POS by members of this board that I KNOW can't carry his lunch bucket. In character, income, wife or any other measure of manhood. 

I understand. "They started it!"  Makes no difference to me who says what to whom in here, but pardon me if I find it pretty damn funny to see criticism of others being comically intense in their zeal to sway opinions coming from one of the most zealous in the room.  Have a spectacular weekend.

Go Hogs!

LZH

LZH

Quote from: Al Boarland on May 31, 2017, 12:16:48 pm
Because we do not recruit to their level.

Or, despite the fact that our previous two coaches had plenty of success.... our current fearless leader is something like 1-7 or maybe 2-8.

Are you saying that their underperforming coaches are better than our underperforming coach on the recruiting trail?

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 31, 2017, 07:01:44 pm
Or, despite the fact that our previous two coaches had plenty of success.... our current fearless leader is something like 1-7 or maybe 2-8.

Are you saying that their underperforming coaches are better than our underperforming coach on the recruiting trail?

Are you comparing our recruiting situation to those of Auburn and aTm?

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 31, 2017, 07:18:26 pm
Are you comparing our recruiting situation to those of Auburn and aTm?

I'm comparing our football team to Auburn's and A&M's.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Gonzo on May 31, 2017, 06:36:36 pm

I understand. "They started it!"  Makes no difference to me who says what to whom in here, but pardon me if I find it pretty damn funny to see criticism of others being comically intense in their zeal to sway opinions coming from one of the most zealous in the room.  Have a spectacular weekend.

Go Hogs!

Literally belly laughed. Beginning to think I may be one of the more persuasive on this board considering your response. Thanks for the complement.

LZH

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 31, 2017, 07:28:22 pm
Literally belly laughed. Beginning to think I may be one of the more persuasive on this board considering your response. Thanks for the complement.

That went right over your head.....

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LZH on May 31, 2017, 07:32:10 pm
That went right over your head.....

You're probably right. I don't stay stoned. Can't relate.

LZH

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 31, 2017, 07:34:24 pm
You're probably right. I don't stay stoned. Can't relate.

No worries, you'll come around.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 31, 2017, 07:19:37 pm
I'm comparing our football team to Auburn's and A&M's.

Looks like you were comparing our recruiting with theirs.

"Are you saying that their underperforming coaches are better than our underperforming coach on the recruiting trail?"

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LZH on May 31, 2017, 07:39:57 pm
No worries, you'll come around.

Doubtful. I don't make.a point of repeating "I live in southern Florida now". I'm sure the rednecks in Lake Village are impressed. I'm not.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on May 31, 2017, 07:43:09 pm
Looks like you were comparing our recruiting with theirs.

"Are you saying that their underperforming coaches are better than our underperforming coach on the recruiting trail?"

I reckon I was comparing coaches.

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 31, 2017, 07:49:06 pm
Doubtful. I don't make.a point of repeating "I live in southern Florida now". I'm sure the rednecks in Lake Village are impressed. I'm not.

What a coincidence, you live in South Florida too?

BTW, the rednecks in LV don't know me - I'm an outsider....nor do they know the Razorbacks.

Gonzo

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 31, 2017, 07:28:22 pm

I have no doubt you think quite a lot of yourself, more than anyone else I'm sure, but you continue the comedy with somehow construing me laughing at you with being a compliment (speaking of belly laughs, though maybe too subtle). Trust me, no one is persuading anyone here about this stuff anymore, but keep swinging away.

Go Hogs!

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LZH on May 31, 2017, 08:00:07 pm

What a coincidence, you live in South Florida too?

BTW, the rednecks in LV don't know me - I'm an outsider....nor do they know the Razorbacks.

So you continually speak about a subject you're oblivious to. You're not an outsider in LV or anywhere else. Fact is, you're a blowhard that nobody can stand regardless of where you run.

ricepig

Quote from: LZH on May 31, 2017, 08:00:07 pm

On the recruiting trail, with completely different recruiting situations, gotcha.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: Gonzo on May 31, 2017, 08:07:04 pm
I have no doubt you think quite a lot of yourself, more than anyone else I'm sure, but you continue the comedy with somehow construing me laughing at you with being a compliment (speaking of belly laughs, though maybe too subtle). Trust me, no one is persuading anyone here about this stuff anymore, but keep swinging away.

Go Hogs!

If you don't think there is some campaigning going on here for CBB's ouster you're a ducking idiot.

LZH

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on May 31, 2017, 08:12:00 pm
So you continually speak about a subject you're oblivious to. You're not an outsider in LV or anywhere else. Fact is, you're a blowhard that nobody can stand regardless of where you run.

If you need me to endorse you just say so.

Hawgar The Horrible

Quote from: LZH on May 31, 2017, 08:22:23 pm
If you need me to endorse you just say so.

I prefer to keep my business reputation, but thanks for asking.

WilsonHog

I swear, some of y'all could dent a steel ball with a rubber hammer.