Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reality Check

Started by Rzback, May 30, 2017, 09:54:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzback

My heart wants to get excited again this year but my mind says to be realistic. Not since joining the SEC have we been true contenders in football. Hopefully, our basketball team is coming back around. What will it take to make Arkansas a true contender in football again? Coaching, recruiting, size, strength, speed, brains, luck???  :razorback:
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Hawgndaaz

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Rzback on May 30, 2017, 09:54:20 am
My heart wants to get excited again this year but my mind says to be realistic. Not since joining the SEC have we been true contenders in football. Hopefully, our basketball team is coming back around. What will it take to make Arkansas a true contender in football again? Coaching, recruiting, size, strength, speed, brains, luck???  :razorback:
Tell your heart to take a valium. Not going to ever happen in football as long as the U of A is in the SEC. Expect a 4-4 season at best this year in conference play. In fact, that is about what the Razorbacks have averaged in 25 years in the SEC games...about 4 wins per season.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

RazorWest

Believe what you want, but this isn't true

cosmodrum

Prepare for 6-7 wins.
Go away, batin'

Wildhog

Quote from: cosmodrum on May 30, 2017, 10:33:30 am
Prepare for 6-7 wins.

And to be told that we should just shut up and be happy about it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on May 30, 2017, 10:35:25 am
And to be told that we should just shut up and be happy about it.

Nah, just shut up, they don't care if you're happy or not.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on May 30, 2017, 10:40:12 am
Nah, just shut up, they don't care if you're happy or not.

True.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hollywood_HOGan45

Every time we go through a lull in football success, we are told to just accept it and deal with it.
I can deal with the 7-8 win seasons. Most likely it is what we are.

What I have an issue with is in 2015 when we are stocked with very talented players and we reel off an 8-5 with wins at Tennessee, at Ole miss, at LSU but losses to Toledo and Texas Tech.
2015 should have been a 9 or 10 win season.   

I do like Coach B and I hope it works out with him but the early questionable 2015 losses combined with the many 2nd half collapses tells us we can do better.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 30, 2017, 10:45:45 am
Every time we go through a lull in football success, we are told to just accept it and deal with it.

What I have an issue with is in 2015 when we are stocked with very talented players and we reel off an 8-5 with wins at Tennessee, at Ole miss, at LSU but losses to Toledo and Texas Tech.

I do like Coach B and I hope it works out with him but the early questionable 2015 losses combined with the many 2nd half collapses tells us we can do better.

Hell we should have won 9 last year, too.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Quote from: Wildhog on May 30, 2017, 10:46:34 am
For sure. If we win the last two we gave away the season looks very different.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Karma on May 30, 2017, 10:49:00 am
For sure. If we win the last two we gave away the season looks very different.
So maybe we're closer than we think or realize.  I'm holding onto that hope for a little bit longer.

Wildhog

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 30, 2017, 10:51:24 am
So maybe we're closer than we think or realize.  I'm holding onto that hope for a little bit longer.

Maybe.  We've underachieved every year of CBB's tenure so far, though, so I'm not getting my hopes up.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

totally agree, guys. it isnt the actual teams we've fielded that I have a problem with so much as them not living up to their potential. Our last two seasons of 8-5 , 7-6 SHOULD have been a 10 win season and at least an 8 win season last year, really more like 9. Uggh. I dont know what do do about it , but, I'm certainly not happy about it.

So strange to think back on finally getting that first sec win under BB on that awesome, cold night in Fayetteville, when the Hogs made LSU quit. Turned the corner that night, for sure. But I really felt like these guys would value winning more after that struggle than how it has played out. I thought that they'd fight for every win like wild animals. Yet, our MO has actually been , take a huge lead then blow the game.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 30, 2017, 10:52:54 am
totally agree, guys. it isnt the actual teams we've fielded that I have a problem with so much as them not living up to their potential. Our last two seasons of 8-5 , 7-6 SHOULD have been a 10 win season and at least an 8 win season last year, really more like 9. Uggh. I dont know what do do about it , but, I'm certainly not happy about it.

So strange to think back on finally getting that first sec win under BB on that awesome, cold night in Fayetteville, when the Hogs made LSU quit. Turned the corner that night, for sure. But I really felt like these guys would value winning more after that struggle than how it has played out. I thought that they'd fight for every win like wild animals. Yet, our MO has actually been , take a huge lead then blow the game.

No doubt and its slightly disturbing. Not even Houston Nutt fielded teams that blew that many games.

Gonzo

Well, those are pretty much what it takes for any team to be a contender, so I'd say yep.

Go Hogs!

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 30, 2017, 10:51:24 am

You've got two more seasons to hold on to that hope, after that?

HognotinMemphis

Every time we go through a lull in football? The Razorbacks, since joining the SEC a quarter century ago, have been in a sustained lull. So the lull part is the 2 years we were good under Petrino. The other 23 were mostly average and/or disappointingly below expectations.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 30, 2017, 11:03:40 am
You've got two more seasons to hold on to that hope, after that?
Then I fully expect you to pay his buyout.   8)

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 30, 2017, 11:10:39 am
Then I fully expect you to pay his buyout.   8)

I'll just borrow it from Led........he's hitting the Florida lottery between now and then.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 30, 2017, 11:02:28 am
No doubt and its slightly disturbing. Not even Houston Nutt fielded teams that blew that many games.
it's crazy. and the last two are just baffling. I mean, THAT MISSOURI game, are you freaking kidding me? Everyone in the world new they were going 4 wide , all-streaks and it just worked over and over again. How dafugg do you allow a team to hail mary you to death like you are playing Madden against your Mom or something!?@!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

lefty08

You guys need anything?  Maybe a box or two of kleenex or a binky ?
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: lefty08 on May 30, 2017, 11:27:39 am
You guys need anything?  Maybe a box or two of kleenex or a binky ?
yeah. A head coach that breathes fire into our men, cowers cheating refs, and has his team play with the pride and passion we expect of our razorbacks.

King Kong

we have been contenders multiple times since joining the SEC. Now can we contend year in and year out? No, but with a good enough coach we can be close

bphi11ips

Doesn't matter. We'll be Hogs fans one way or another. Accident of birth.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hoggish1

Why punish yourself being negative now this far out from the season?  This is the season for optimism—keep your chin up, relax, enjoy...

lefty08

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 30, 2017, 11:32:15 am
yeah. A head coach that breathes fire into our men, cowers cheating refs, and has his team play with the pride and passion we expect of our razorbacks.
LOL
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

mhsbc59

If I have to read about fire in the belly and playing hard one more time on this board I swear I might just burn this whole thing down.  For those that think that just have having more passion, that the players need fire I beg beg beg to go and tell that to any current or former play please do and shut it up.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

mhsbc59

If all it took to win was wanting it the most then North Korea would have long rang missiles, and Communism would have won the cold war.  It just not that simple folks
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

HogtoberFest

Hard to have a reality check when you are talking about hypotheticals. The season hasn't started, hell they haven't even started practice.

at this point you're either a pessimist or an optimist, both of which are fine. But please stop with the realist crap. Zero games have been played.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: HoginMemphis on May 30, 2017, 11:06:22 am
Every time we go through a lull in football? The Razorbacks, since joining the SEC a quarter century ago, have been in a sustained lull. So the lull part is the 2 years we were good under Petrino. The other 23 were mostly average and/or disappointingly below expectations.

I know its only two more years but 98 and 06 were pretty good seasons as far as Arkansas standards go.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 30, 2017, 11:16:36 am
it's crazy. and the last two are just baffling. I mean, THAT MISSOURI game, are you freaking kidding me? Everyone in the world new they were going 4 wide , all-streaks and it just worked over and over again. How dafugg do you allow a team to hail mary you to death like you are playing Madden against your Mom or something!?@!!

Ive only been watching since 92 and Ive seen some really bad defense but this past year has to be the king of all crappy defenses played at Arkansas in the SEC era.

ICEman

Little or no buzz on the hill...workman like year...with a 7 win season anticipated.  Rinse and repeat. Perhaps the only true excitement will be following the weekly progress of the $200,000,000 improvements to the stadium.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ICEman on May 30, 2017, 12:32:57 pm
Little or no buzz on the hill...workman like year...with a 7 win season anticipated.  Rinse and repeat. Perhaps the only true excitement will be following the weekly progress of the $200,000,000 improvements to the stadium.
honestly, our best seasons have come in years like this with little hype and a lot of uncertainty. It's every time that we are supposed to be good that we poop the bed.

DeltaBoy

The Next Saban or Bear Bryant.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 30, 2017, 12:36:24 pm
honestly, our best seasons have come in years like this with little hype and a lot of uncertainty. It's every time that we are supposed to be good that we poop the bed.

You have a large sample size of "little hype" to work with when formulating that theory.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ICEman on May 30, 2017, 12:32:57 pm
Amazing how they have built it, continue to build it, but nothing to show for it on the field. $ apparently never an issue regardless of the product put on the field.

Hollywood_HOGan45

We can start by fielding a defense that doesn't break records for futility.

The only year under Coach B that we haven't had a horrible defense is 14. Helps when we have Trey Flowers.

factchecker

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 30, 2017, 01:02:42 pm
We can start by fielding a defense that doesn't break records for futility.

The only year under Coach B that we haven't had a horrible defense is 14. Helps when we have Trey Flowers.

plus Philon and Spaight.  Can't have the Bermuda triangle with one side.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hogsanity

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 30, 2017, 10:52:54 am
Our last two seasons of 8-5 , 7-6 SHOULD have been a 10 win season and at least an 8 win season last year, really more like 9.

Why SHOULD they have been more than what they were? If not for a fluke on 4th and 25 AND a stupid facemask on the 1st try fr 2 ( old misses had that play sniffed out and stuffed ) 2015 would have not been what it was. 2016, if not for Skipper being Bill Brasky sized and blocking a chip shot, 2016 would not have even been what it was.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bkjbearcat

Quote from: hogsanity on May 30, 2017, 01:50:09 pm
Why SHOULD they have been more than what they were? If not for a fluke on 4th and 25 AND a stupid facemask on the 1st try fr 2 ( old misses had that play sniffed out and stuffed ) 2015 would have not been what it was. 2016, if not for Skipper being Bill Brasky sized and blocking a chip shot, 2016 would not have even been what it was.

Yep, here is a hot bowl of mediocrity. Learn to love it. And quit asking questions on whether you can do better. We all know what the answer is.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hogsanity on May 30, 2017, 01:50:09 pm

So if not for the 4th and 25, facemask penalty, and FG block 15 would have been 7-6 and last year would have been 6-7.

That's reassuring.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 30, 2017, 11:32:15 am

We kind of had that guy. But then our AD fired him for being a, "Slimeball"
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Grag T

Good Lord this thread is depressing and its still only May 30th, lol

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Grag T on May 30, 2017, 02:34:44 pm
Good Lord this thread is depressing and its still only May 30th, lol

Finishing the year as poorly as we did will do that to a fan base.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 30, 2017, 02:22:26 pm
So if not for the 4th and 25, facemask penalty, and FG block 15 would have been 7-6 and last year would have been 6-7.

That's reassuring.

Wasn't meant to be reassuring, it was meant to show all the " should have been 10 win " people that those seasons should/could have been worse.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: bkjbearcat on May 30, 2017, 02:23:01 pm
We kind of had that guy. But then our AD fired him for being a, "Slimeball"

and this is where someone says " well he never really got close to winning the sec/could not beat the teams he had to beat to get to the top/put himself above the program/lied to the administration/ "  and then it turns into the same thread we've had 1000 times.

factchecker

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on May 30, 2017, 02:22:26 pm

That's reassuring.

4th and 25/facemask was in 2015 it would not impact last season's record at all.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS