Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New findings in Pat Tillman probe; very SAD!

Started by HogasaurusRex, November 09, 2006, 11:04:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo_Better_Hogs

arkiehawg

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on November 17, 2006, 11:54:46 am
Interesting article. And yes, it is sad.

I agree.  Question.   Some over on the political forum was slamming Pat's brother for the article calling him a "Sheehan" type.

What do you vets believe?  Personally, I think that if anyone has a right to b**ch, it should be a vet.....thoughts?

HogasaurusRex

Vet or not, brother or not, son or not.  I think it is wrong to politicize a service members death. From what I have read, Pat was a free spirit and was actually against the war towards the end of his life.  That being said, he made a commitment and honored it.  Other accounts that I have read say the Tillman family is not one of faith, and I think this is just another attempt to fill the void that his death has brought.  After this, they will try other things.  As for the Sheehan boy, I'd imagine he's rolling over, and over, and over.......

Realee

November 17, 2006, 05:07:43 pm #4 Last Edit: November 17, 2006, 05:18:23 pm by Realee
As a Vet.......I had a meeting with my family (mostly the wife's family, because most of mine is in the military) and told them if I was to get killed overseas they in no way should use my death to voice their political views.  We had this meeting well before Sheehan trivialized her Son's honor.  I would haunt my family till the day they died if they acted like that after I gave my life serving my country.

Realee

I will tell you one thing though, the allegations and tone of that article will get many more troops over seas killed.  During war you have only seconds to decide if the perceived enemy dies and you go home to your family or you die and he goes home to his.  Making an environment where you are second guessing yourself will not work during combat.  In the article it said something to the effect that a Sgt. "claimed he had tunnel vision".  That just proves that the author of this article has never been shot at in a warzone.  You get tunnel vision, impeared motorskills along with a long list of other stuff that a normal person does not deal with in their everyday job.  I understand that arsehole writers have to put out stories, but if you have never been in that situation don't act like you know how someone should have reacted. 

HogasaurusRex

Quote from: Realee on November 17, 2006, 05:17:52 pm
I will tell you one thing though, the allegations and tone of that article will get many more troops over seas killed.  During war you have only seconds to decide if the perceived enemy dies and you go home to your family or you die and he goes home to his.  Making an environment where you are second guessing yourself will not work during combat.  In the article it said something to the effect that a Sgt. "claimed he had tunnel vision".  That just proves that the author of this article has never been shot at in a warzone.  You get tunnel vision, impeared motorskills along with a long list of other stuff that a normal person does not deal with in their everyday job.  I understand that arsehole writers have to put out stories, but if you have never been in that situation don't act like you know how someone should have reacted. 
I agree! This forum will be moderated according to how WE have experienced the above. This forum isn't a democracy or a political forum.  It's for US, the ones they train, and pay, to blow stuff up. The ones most take for granted.  The ones that have an opinion molded by experience, not an article in Newsweek. And when it's all said and done, they take their time to operate on you, 'cause your broken and the VA's problem. But, were still the ones that stand @ attention for the National Anthem @ the game, and tell others to remove their hats, and want to kick the ass of others that don't do the same.  And were proud of it too!

Pork Twain

I totally agree with what you are saying.  No American WANTS to die for his country but a lot of them are WILLING.  They should not be used as props for some political play.  I hate to see dead soldiers used to prove a point.  Almost as much as I hated to see protesters outside the base gates in Albuquerque.  Calling us baby killers and such.  If they REALLY cared they would go and protest the state capital were their voices would be heard. 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: BeoPig on November 19, 2006, 08:43:01 amAlmost as much as I hated to see protesters outside the base gates in Albuquerque.  Calling us baby killers and such.

When did this happen?

Pork Twain

November 23, 2006, 05:29:45 am #9 Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 05:36:19 am by BeoPig
Quote from: Uncle Ivan™ on November 22, 2006, 09:20:54 pm
Quote from: BeoPig on November 19, 2006, 08:43:01 amAlmost as much as I hated to see protesters outside the base gates in Albuquerque.  Calling us baby killers and such.

When did this happen?
When we first launched against Iraq and went after Saddam.  They were outside the gate every day for a week or so and I would get so pissed off every time I saw them.

Ticks me off that these protesters are too lazy to do a little research and figure out that a base commander is just following orders and is usually a 1* that has no say in what his men and women do.  I support a person's right to protest but it would be great if they showed a little bit of intelligence.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Idahog

Quote from: BeoPig on November 23, 2006, 05:29:45 am

When did this happen?
When we first launched against Iraq and went after Saddam.  They were outside the gate every day for a week or so and I would get so pissed off every time I saw them.

Ticks me off that these protesters are too lazy to do a little research and figure out that a base commander is just following orders and is usually a 1* that has no say in what his men and women do.  I support a person's right to protest but it would be great if they showed a little bit of intelligence.

That's sad to hear that they did that.  Anger breads ignorant actions sometimes.  A military gate isn't the right place, a Capitol building sure is much better, like you had said.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: BeoPig on November 23, 2006, 05:29:45 am

When did this happen?

When I was stationed @ K.I. Sawyer back in the mid-'80s,  we had No-Nukes protesters that would come and protest outside the Main Gate every so often.

They were the usual radical leftist types,  same as most.   The reason they come to military bases isn't to have their political message heard so much as it is to try and demoralize the troops.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

vol_in_ar

Pat's death was a tragedy, and his brother is in a unique postion.  Since he was in the same platoon, and was with the fire team, that engaged  Pat's element.  If there is anyone that has earned the right to comment, it's Pat's brother.

I personally don't think he should. 
Outside the Lines did an outstanding job of covering it several weeks ago..