Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's Arkansas Y'all, not Texas! 20+ years says so!

Started by hawginbigd1, December 09, 2017, 02:41:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawginbigd1

Can the facts be changed to Texas or can CCM break the mold? Anything is possible.....

Going back to HDN our success is dependent upon great Arkansas recruits, either stacked classes together or 1 great class like 08 for CBP.

Sure we don't produce enough D1 talent to make a good to great team, but the core of our best teams are the Arkansas players.

The best teams over the past 20+ who are the biggest cogs and where did they come from?
Madre Hill
Cedric Cobbs
Jonathan Luigs
Shawn Andrews
DMAC
Peyton
MJ
DJ Williams
Dennis Johnson
Mallet
Gragg
Adams
And on and on and on.

04, and 05 brought us HDNs last run, 08 and 09 brought us CBP success.

We can get caught up in the must recruit Texas mantra or we can look at what history has shown for Arkansas to be upper crust we must sign and stack the best players from Arkansas, and the athletes have to be there.
like 2018 and 2019 has the appearances to be those types of classes we need from in our state to build a successful run.

The other facts of recruiting are that on average recruits stay within 300-350 miles from home, look at the distance from Fayetteville that elite recruits live, and who do we have to compete with for those recruits.

I am just not sure if putting all the emphasis on CCMs Texas "connections " is the savior of the program, I am thinking unless something changes we have to have and retain the talent from Arkansas. We can't afford to have the people going to Bama and tOSU etc. if he wants to be successful CCM needs to get the Bohannon and Bishop type in state recruits to stay home, and compliment them with Texas, La., Memphis etc. players.

Anyway the proof points to Arkansa talent=winning.

The Boar War

Who's to say we can't put an added emphasis on Texas while making sure the best players stay home?  Morris said that was the plan.

Love those Hogs

Hogs 4 Life!

HogHomer

Have you watched his press conference? He talks about the need to keep the Arkansas talent in Arkansas? He has talked about making Texas a priority but it's not like he saying it's going to be at the expenses of instate recruiting like you are suggesting.

Hugo Bezdek

Gotta get the best kids out of Arkansas. Morris gets that. But that's a one-legged stool. There's not enough talent here to fill the roster. Texas and Louisiana get us there for the most part. We've been neglecting Texas and that's about to change. I hope we don't abandon the in-roads we've made into Louisiana, but I think it's safe to say Arkansas and Texas will get the majority of our recruiting focus this year.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: HogHomer on December 09, 2017, 02:51:27 pm
Have you watched his press conference? He talks about the need to keep the Arkansas talent in Arkansas? He has talked about making Texas a priority but it's not like he saying it's going to be at the expenses of instate recruiting like you are suggesting.
Not what I was meaning to suggest, as the title says it's Arkansas. We have to keep and HAVE(this being just as important) the in-state talent to be successful is my point. To this point we have not had REAL success with recruiting classes that are out of state oriented.

Hogtrillian

When there's 20+ spots available each year, and only 7~10 SEC-caliber players in the state of Arkansas, then there's no reason you can't go into Texas and other states. Historically, it's true that some of our best years had a good mix of both, and having just 15 kids from Texas over 5 years is terrible, and Bielema failed miserably in that area.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 09, 2017, 03:01:44 pm
Not what I was meaning to suggest, as the title says it's Arkansas. We have to keep and HAVE(this being just as important) the in-state talent to be successful is my point. To this point we have not had REAL success with recruiting classes that are out of state oriented.
No one's arguing that we most certainly need to keep the brightest and best talent from within the state going to the Hill. However, the plain truth is that most years we have at BEST ten to twelve D1 players around the state, not all necessarily SEC level. It's therefore obvious that we will need to supplement this core with top notch players out of Texas, Louisiana and elsewhere.

Birminghog

Both and. And thanks for my boy Madre being in the list!

jvanhorn

Tulsa is probably as close to Fayetteville as Little Rock, if not closer.  We used to have a coach that was from there [can't remember his name] and he proved you could recruit Tulsa players to come to Arkansas and Tulsa has a couple of really great high school programs there also [Jenks and Owasso, I think}.   Also I have never understood where there has never been much football talent come out of Springfield MO, because I think we could do some good there, as well as Memphis.  These are all areas, as well as maybe Shreveport, that are close enough to be worth really examining closely.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Hogtrillian on December 09, 2017, 03:03:27 pm
When there's 20+ spots available each year, and only 7~10 SEC-caliber players in the state of Arkansas, then there's no reason you can't go into Texas and other states. Historically, it's true that some of our best years had a good mix of both, and having just 15 kids from Texas over 5 years is terrible, and Bielema failed miserably in that area.

Well when you go down there and tell the Texas high school coaches that they are no damn good and that they can kiss your ass-well guess what is going to happen, lol.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 09, 2017, 02:41:33 pm
Can the facts be changed to Texas or can CCM break the mold? Anything is possible.....

Going back to HDN our success is dependent upon great Arkansas recruits, either stacked classes together or 1 great class like 08 for CBP.

Sure we don't produce enough D1 talent to make a good to great team, but the core of our best teams are the Arkansas players.

The best teams over the past 20+ who are the biggest cogs and where did they come from?
Madre Hill
Cedric Cobbs
Jonathan Luigs
Shawn Andrews
DMAC
Peyton
MJ
DJ Williams
Dennis Johnson
Mallet
Gragg
Adams
And on and on and on.

We can get caught up in the must recruit Texas mantra or we can look at what history has shown for Arkansas to be upper crust we must sign and stack the best players from Arkansas, and the athletes have to be there.
like 2018 and 2019 has the appearances to be those types of classes we need from in our state to build a successful run.

The other facts of recruiting are that on average recruits stay within 300-350 miles from home, look at the distance from Fayetteville that elite recruits live, and who do we have to compete with for those recruits.

I am just not sure if putting all the emphasis on CCMs Texas "connections " is the savior of the program, I am thinking unless something changes we have to have and retain the talent from Arkansas. We can't afford to have the people going to Bama and tOSU etc. if he wants to be successful CCM needs to get the Bohannon and Bishop type in state recruits to stay home, and compliment them with Texas, La., Memphis etc. players.

While I agree with you that there is a direct correlation between success and big in state classes - my hunch is those teams also had good Texas players as well.

FORMULA

LOTS TEXAS PLAYERS + LOTS QUALITY ARKANSAS PLAYERS = GREAT YEAR (9+ regular season wins)

LOTS TEXAS PLAYERS + FEW QUALITY ARKANSAS PLAYERS = OKAY YEAR (7-8 regular season wins)

That is my theory.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ChitownHawg on December 09, 2017, 05:22:23 pm
While I agree with you that there is a direct correlation between success and big in state classes - my hunch is those teams also had good Texas players as well.

FORMULA

LOTS TEXAS PLAYERS + LOTS QUALITY ARKANSAS PLAYERS = GREAT YEAR (9+ regular season wins)

LOTS TEXAS PLAYERS + FEW QUALITY ARKANSAS PLAYERS = OKAY YEAR (7-8 regular season wins)

That is my theory.
Yeah kind of what I am getting at except I am not sure it is lots of Texas players, it's lots of contributing players from wherever, but for us to be highly talented, the big guns are going to be home grown talent it seems.

racinghog

We better help and fix the LR school football situation. This would help the recruiting tremendously in ARK.

Snout team

If we can get 7-9 high quality players out of AR and 7-9 out of Texas then we will only need a few from Louisiana, Mo, Ok, or Fl combined. 

I don't know if we can get that many really good players or not but CCM seems to think we can
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

woodhog14

There's not 7-10 SEC caliber players in Arkansas every year. Maybe every not and then, but most year is 3-5 SEC caliber players.

Torqued pork

I would hate to see our Louisiana recruiting de-emphasized. There are tons of kids there that are really athletic and tough as nails who never get P5 offers even with no grade problems.

Oklahawg

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 09, 2017, 05:09:02 pm
Tulsa is probably as close to Fayetteville as Little Rock, if not closer.  We used to have a coach that was from there [can't remember his name] and he proved you could recruit Tulsa players to come to Arkansas and Tulsa has a couple of really great high school programs there also [Jenks and Owasso, I think}.   Also I have never understood where there has never been much football talent come out of Springfield MO, because I think we could do some good there, as well as Memphis.  These are all areas, as well as maybe Shreveport, that are close enough to be worth really examining closely.

Garrick McGee was a graduate of Booker T Washington HS in Tulsa. OC/QB coach under Petrino.

We signed Jordan Curtis (RS, DB; Jenks), Kamron Curl (DB; Muskogee), and Kyrie Fisher (OLB; Tulsa Union) last year. Both of those schools along with 6A Div 1 champ Owasso have a boatload of talent. Throw in Bixby, Broken Arrow, and BTW and there are a lot of players to look at.  4A powerhouse Wagoner has produced D1 players each of the last couple of years.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Birminghog on December 09, 2017, 03:12:14 pm
Both and. And thanks for my boy Madre being in the list!

One of the best... There's still many, many more...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Chief Mac

Yes, our best teams have been anchored by instate talent but unfortunately we don't have the ability to turn out that type talent every year. On average, I would say we have 5-6 SEC caliber kids in the state.  A better than average class will see about 10 SEC level kids, with peak years having around 12.  While we occasionally lose out on one of the top recruits instate, it's rare.  Some have suggested we haven't kept the top players instate, which is a fallacy. Those that have left, haven't really fared well so we might have "missed" on them, I would say we didn't. 

In my mind, 50% of our players in each class should come from Texas/Tulsa area. Then a mix of instate players and players from La, Ms, Al, Fl,and Ga.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

blu

CM talked about the fence - let's see if he can build it - sometimes those one or two we didn't land (or recruit) could've been difference makers for us.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

#1 STUNNA

His first test will be the 2019 class... cause it has some studs in it

hawginbigd1

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on December 10, 2017, 08:53:05 am
His first test will be the 2019 class... cause it has some studs in it
I hear you but I think his first test is to get Bohannon and Bishop! I like our in-state commits but it won't be a home run unless we land these 2 IMO.

masbas3

Quote from: HogHomer on December 09, 2017, 02:51:27 pm

Exactly, CBB didn't recruit sometimes some of the better talent in Arkansas, and now that talent is starting for some of our neighbor States, and one defensive player from Fordyce that has and offer from Alabama did not have an offer from Bielema even though we need defensive linemen in a bad way.  CCM didn't say he was going to make Texas his #1 priority and forget Arkansas recruiting, he wants to keep all Arkansas talent in state and recruit Texas hard, something that hasn't been done here in a long time.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Well said.

JaketheSnake

We start taking a couple more from Ark each year that might usually go to a LA directional school and hope we can get them to play roles after a couple years.  Fill in with Texas and east Oklahoma/N LA and don't worry about other areas unless a kid shows interest or we have some kind of other connection. 

SooieGeneris

Quote from: The Boar War on December 09, 2017, 02:47:14 pm
Who's to say we can't put an added emphasis on Texas while making sure the best players stay home?  Morris said that was the plan.

This! When there are not enough SEC caliber players in AR in any given year, where are we supposed to turn?

Texas, OK and LA. What part of that do so people not understand? Many years there are only 6-8 such players in AR, sometimes even less.

If we tried to only recruit players from AR, the 2017 season will look good by comparison..
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

31to6

Quote from: Torqued pork on December 09, 2017, 10:31:05 pm
I would hate to see our Louisiana recruiting de-emphasized. There are tons of kids there that are really athletic and tough as nails who never get P5 offers even with no grade problems.
CCM has said repeatedly that he is going to recruit TOLA.

The difference is he is going to try to really step up the Texas recruiting.

How well we do in Louisiana will all depend on how well the coach he assigns there can do the job. Michael Smith had done some good work for us down there.

Phil D

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 09, 2017, 02:41:33 pm

Madre Hill
Cedric Cobbs
Jonathan Luigs
Shawn Andrews
DMAC
Peyton
MJ
DJ Williams
Dennis Johnson
Mallet
Gragg
Adams
And on and on and on.

You must not have listened to CCM's press conference he was emphatic that we need Arkansas players first then fill in with Texas and surrounding states.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Phil D on December 11, 2017, 12:01:18 am
You must not have listened to CCM's press conference he was emphatic that we need Arkansas players first then fill in with Texas and surrounding states.
right. he clearly says heel print in arkansas and fanned out into La, Ok, and Tx.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Porkette

I'm afraid I don't get the point of the OP. Arkansas still gets most of our best in-state talent (you're always going to miss on one here and there), but there just isn't enough of it, especially lately it seems. This isn't an either/or thing. The point is that Texas should be the biggest focus of our out-of-state recruiting.
GO HOGS GO!