Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Jones - Merged Thread

Started by TK_HOG, March 06, 2017, 11:33:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

itsonlyagame

OB Highland  Park to state championship last year as a jr. Last night in playoffs was 20 of 30 for 226 yards, rushed 11 for 55.

ImYourHoggleberry

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HamGrowsOnTrees on December 09, 2017, 12:40:55 pm
Funny thing about cellphones, pops.... I can be fishing in a chair and laughing at you guys all at the same time. Oh and with a nice noon day beer or 4

Okay then.  We like doing the same things.  Sweet!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Drop the Mike on December 09, 2017, 12:22:53 pm
With Noland already on board and Gerry on campus for his official this week, what are the odds that we take 3 qb's? I don't mean to doubt the kid but you don't see a ton of 5-9 qb's in the sec.

Walk-0n. won't take up a scholly. We need him for a variety of reasons. Most of which have nothing to do with the QB spot.

The Kig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 09, 2017, 12:27:51 pm
We're not in any position to be issuing "legacy" scholarships.  Won't matter though.  This is a preferred walk-on spot.

You went from surely this must be a walk-on to stating that it is a preferred walk-on spot in 3 messages.   Convince yourself or did you find some info that shows it actually is a walk-on spot?
Poker Porker

wpswillriseagain

MORAZOR

Politically very good move.....
2018 Is smallest signing class in recent memory, hopefully Bohanon comes, and you have 3 qbs in this class....just saying

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: itsonlyagame on December 09, 2017, 12:42:35 pm
OB Highland  Park to state championship last year as a jr. Last night in playoffs was 20 of 30 for 226 yards, rushed 11 for 55.
and he missed the 4th quarter.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

it's a blue shirt offer.

And the kid can play. Nobody said he's going to be our starter. But you dont win 2 state titles in Texas High School football if you suck.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on December 09, 2017, 12:19:16 pm
I hear the kid can play.  Why don't we give him a chance?

And btw, the tweet does not say what kind of offer.  We don't know whether he's been given a scholarship or not.

Yeah, this offer may be in part a "good will" move, but being in Dallas I can tell you this. The Jones kid is a really good player. I've seen several televised games this year, and that team is very successful, partly because of him. There are plenty of great high school players that don't turn into good college players, so who knows.

Saw this after I posted mine...this is exactly what I'm talking about in my first point.
Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 09, 2017, 12:45:50 pm
Walk-0n. won't take up a scholly. We need him for a variety of reasons. Most of which have nothing to do with the QB spot.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Wildhog

Quote from: The Kig on December 09, 2017, 12:46:19 pm
You went from surely this must be a walk-on to stating that it is a preferred walk-on spot in 3 messages.   Convince yourself or did you find some info that shows it actually is a walk-on spot?

Trying to convince myself.  Hoping.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

The Kig

Quote from: Wildhog on December 09, 2017, 01:38:09 pm
Trying to convince myself.  Hoping.

No... Unlike you, I recognize that we sold our soul long ago. 
Poker Porker

Wildhog

Quote from: The Kig on December 09, 2017, 01:47:19 pm
No... Unlike you, I recognize that we sold our soul long ago. 

Well we just resold it.  This is a joke.
1909/1964/1965/1977

UA1985

He is very good at a high profile large Texas HS program. Definitely a playmaker at the HS level. His stature is a concern, but there may be a role for him in Morris' offense.

imtad16

Quote from: UA1985 on December 09, 2017, 01:51:59 pm
He is very good at a high profile large Texas HS program. Definitely a playmaker at the HS level. His stature is a concern, but there may be a role for him in Morris' offense.

I bet he ends up as a slot receiver.

Oklahawg

Please read the board to see if a thread already exists on the topic you intend to post about. We have 4 active Jones' threads.

Thanks!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Wildhog

Quote from: MORAZOR on December 09, 2017, 12:47:44 pm
Politically very good move.....
2018 Is smallest signing class in recent memory, hopefully Bohanon comes, and you have 3 qbs in this class....just saying

Yeah, limited scholarships and we have a ton of needs.  A third quarterback ain't one of 'em.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Wildhog on December 09, 2017, 02:03:03 pm
Yeah, limited scholarships and we have a ton of needs.  A third quarterback ain't one of 'em.
he'd never be  a  scholarship QB at arkansas.
@Slackaveli

wpswillriseagain

it is a blue shirt. Will not count against this class.

HawgWild

Quote from: imtad16 on December 09, 2017, 12:03:12 pm
I live in Dallas and have seen John Stephen play. I'm telling you guys he has that Baker Mayfield (without the obnoxious hijinx) "It" quality about him. He is a play-maker. He is short though about 5'10, but he can play.

How tall was the starting QB for Coastal Carolina?

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

DLUXHOG

His daddy was a Hog, his granddaddy was a Hog, he'll be a Hog whether it's scholarship or walk-on....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

nwahogfan1

Quote from: tkclark on December 06, 2017, 01:27:07 pm
Kid can flat out play.  Smart in the pocket, good with his feet, and accurate.  Not a huge arm but good enough for any spread team.  I have seen him play 8 or 9 times this year and last year.

You are exactly right.  If he can excel at this level in Tx ball he is pretty darn good.  He will be a good addition

Vantage 8 dude

I obviously don't know whether or not this young man can play QB at the next level. And while I realize the game has changed in many ways over the years, just in case you don't already know it during the Broyles era there were a number of qbs that he recruited that were turned into players at other positions. I remember him saying that if a kid was smart and athletic enough to play quarterback he often had the ability to be converted into a player at another position. We will just have to see.

Wildhog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on December 09, 2017, 02:43:33 pm
I obviously don't know whether or not this young man can play QB at the next level. And while I realize the game has changed in many ways over the years, just in case you don't already know it during the Broyles era there were a number of qbs that he recruited that were turned into players at other positions. I remember him saying that if a kid was smart and athletic enough to play quarterback he often had the ability to be converted into a player at another position. We will just have to see.

If he was a legit P5 player, though, teams would be falling all over themselves to get Jerry Jones’ grandson on campus.

If we’re gonna give this kid a spot just because of nepotism, that’s fine, but let’s be honest about it.  Jerry owns the program now.  He got his AD.  He got his coach.  And now his grandson will take up a spot on our team.
1909/1964/1965/1977

imtad16

Hogfan46

Baker Mayfield walked on at TxTech and only had offers from Fla Atlantic, New Mexico and Rice. Just saying.

ricepig

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on December 09, 2017, 02:49:21 pm
  If he was a legit P5 player, though, teams would be falling all over themselves to get Jerry Jones' grandson on campus.

If we're gonna give this kid a spot just because of nepotism, that's fine, but let's be honest about it.  Jerry owns the program now.  He got his AD.  He got his coach.  And now his grandson will take up a spot on our team.
As I said I have no real idea whether or not he can play QB at the next level. Perhaps other programs don't think he can cut it at the position. Perhaps some may also look at his linage and his publicly expressed desire to go to Arkansas and back off as a result. Heck, no one really knows for sure at this point. As to why he may be heading to the Hill I don't really know that either and neither do you. Sorry, you can surmise that Jerry's interference is totally responsible for our AD and HC; however, again, you don't know that for a FACT. And unless you do have such proof it would be nice to give the young man a chance to get on board and see what he might do. Heck, he might even be a "baller" that even you might appreciate we have.

One other thing: I can GUARANTEE you that if we didn't give him encouragement to come and he did ended up going somewhere else we would never, ever hear the end of it on this site (and likely elsewhere).

Wildhog

Several reporters said that Jerry was pushing Yurachek and Morris.  I didn't just pull that out of my arse.
1909/1964/1965/1977

IronHog

When grandpa is a billionaire booster 1/85 ain't bad politik if the kid is even close to a D1 player.......
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Wildhog

Quote from: IronHog on December 09, 2017, 03:41:09 pm
When grandpa is a billionaire booster 1/85 ain't bad politik if the kid is even close to a D1 player.......

He can have a spot on a team, but that's a scholarship that could go to someone that could ACTUALLY contribute.
1909/1964/1965/1977

bondhue

Welcome to the team, young man.  Can't wait to see you play.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

colbs

Quote from: Wildhog on December 09, 2017, 03:45:50 pm
He can have a spot on a team, but that's a scholarship that could go to someone that could ACTUALLY contribute.
Plus it's not like his family couldn't afford to pay out of pocket.

Paul

Quote from: colbs on December 09, 2017, 04:23:01 pm
Plus it's not like his family couldn't afford to pay out of pocket.
Exactly  SMH

DLUXHOG

Quote from: colbs on December 09, 2017, 04:23:01 pm
Plus it’s not like his family couldn’t afford to pay out of pocket.

uhhhh.... like for the entire team x a few thousand........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hawgwash

Quote from: Wildhog on December 09, 2017, 03:45:50 pm
I don't think his ability to contribute is the determining factor.  Let's assume he's a 5 star QB.  I find it hard to believe JJ would even WANT him to come on scholarship as opposed to letting the team have 86 scholarship worthy athletes on the roster so long as his grandson gets the opportunity to compete for playing time.  Here's a theory.  Maybe after the blueshirt period he intends to DECLINE the scholarship.  From a pride standpoint he can feel he was good enough for a scholarship but knowing his circumstances he opted to make that available to someone else who could further benefit the team.  Just a thought.

Sort of a related point.  Not exactly the same but is Venables' son planning to go to Clemson on scholarship or walk on?  BV doesn't have JJ type of money but he makes close to $2 million a year so the cost doesn't really matter to him.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgwash on December 09, 2017, 05:30:28 pm
I don't think his ability to contribute is the determining factor.  Let's assume he's a 5 star QB.  I find it hard to believe JJ would even WANT him to come on scholarship as opposed to letting the team have 86 scholarship worthy athletes on the roster so long as his grandson gets the opportunity to compete for playing time.  Here's a theory.  Maybe after the blueshirt period he intends to DECLINE the scholarship.  From a pride standpoint he can feel he was good enough for a scholarship but knowing his circumstances he opted to make that available to someone else who could further benefit the team.  Just a thought.

Sort of a related point.  Not exactly the same but is Venables' son planning to go to Clemson on scholarship or walk on?  BV doesn't have JJ type of money but he makes close to $2 million a year so the cost doesn't really matter to him.

If he doesn't actually take a scholarship that's fine.  But we're last in the SEC-W, with limited scholarships and a TON of needs. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

hawgwash

Also, I thought I remembered reading in the ADG a month or two ago that he was hoping for a walk on opportunity at Arkansas and BB hadn't offered that yet.

Wildhog

Quote from: hawgwash on December 09, 2017, 05:37:30 pm
Also, I thought I remembered reading in the ADG a month or two ago that he was hoping for a walk on opportunity at Arkansas and BB hadn't offered that yet.

Like I said, if it's a walk-on opportunity, there's no issue whatsoever.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on December 09, 2017, 03:14:05 pm
Staying at Highland Park.
only thru the school year, then he's coming up i bet. idk, he's the future at highland park and is a 2020 kid so maybe he'll stay. sister is already at a&m.
@Slackaveli

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 09, 2017, 08:15:07 pm
only thru the school year, then he's coming up i bet. idk, he's the future at highland park and is a 2020 kid so maybe he'll stay. sister is already at a&m.
Multiple people I know in Highland Park tell me he's staying to graduate in HP.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Karma on December 09, 2017, 08:23:14 pm
Multiple people I know in Highland Park tell me he's staying to graduate in HP.
well, that would be something, leaving your 15 year old in another state.
@Slackaveli

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 09, 2017, 08:25:08 pm
well, that would be something, leaving your 15 year old in another state.
Mom is staying in HP until he graduates. Or that's what these people have been told. I don't know for sure.

Justifiable Hogicide

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

HogNTX

Surely grandpa would pay for his school and let him walk on so we can use the scholarship on another playmaker.

moses_007

He's kinda small, but has superb stats.

Jones (5-foot-10, 180 pounds) reported an offer from Texas Tech on Nov. 30, his first from an FBS school. In 14 games this season, Jones has thrown for 3,828 yards and 48 touchdowns with just 3 interceptions. He's also rushed for 407 yards and 8 scores.