Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

crossfit

Started by HogSophist, April 10, 2010, 10:09:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogSophist

recently began. sore as hell
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

hawgsav1

Crossfit's for wimps. Do sealfit ;)
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

HogSophist

Quote from: hawgsav1 on April 14, 2010, 03:49:29 pm
Crossfit's for wimps. Do sealfit ;)

babysteps my friend, babysteps.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

hawgsav1

All kidding aside, I do think crossfit is a pretty solid general conditioning program, and is great for people with short amounts of time and equipment.  If I'm somewhere where I don't have any equipment, I'll just do 3 bodyweight crossfit workouts and call it a day.  Not a bad workout and it usually takes an hr or so and little or no equipment..

HogSophist

Quote from: hawgsav1 on April 14, 2010, 04:39:33 pm
All kidding aside, I do think crossfit is a pretty solid general conditioning program, and is great for people with short amounts of time and equipment.  If I'm somewhere where I don't have any equipment, I'll just do 3 bodyweight crossfit workouts and call it a day.  Not a bad workout and it usually takes an hr or so and little or no equipment..

Its a beyotch for me at the moment. Can only bust out about 5 pullups w/o the resistance bands.

The workout the other day that almost did me in was

Deadlifts, hanging cleans, press

12 deadlifts, 9 hanging cleans, 6 overhead press

5 rounds.

I didnt finish it, thought i was going to pass out.

The crossfit champ did it in 7minutes or something silly like that at the Rx weight, which i was way below.

Its pretty good though and i can get it done early in the morning and still get the afternoon drinking in.

JM Gorilla

Quote from: HogSophist on April 14, 2010, 05:18:06 pm
The workout the other day that almost did me in was

Deadlifts, hanging cleans, press

12 deadlifts, 9 hanging cleans, 6 overhead press

5 rounds.

I didnt finish it, thought i was going to pass out.

The crossfit champ did it in 7minutes or something silly like that at the Rx weight, which i was way below.

Was that "DT", or "McGhee?"  :)

I started around the first of March, and it is kicking my tail.  I am an old college athlete who has gotten himself WAY out of shape.  I am loving this stuff.  Not only have I lost weight, I am measurably stronger, my flexibility is much better, and it's not killing my joints.

HogSophist

Quote from: JM Gorilla on April 22, 2010, 11:50:11 am
Was that "DT", or "McGhee?"  :)

I started around the first of March, and it is kicking my tail.  I am an old college athlete who has gotten himself WAY out of shape.  I am loving this stuff.  Not only have I lost weight, I am measurably stronger, my flexibility is much better, and it's not killing my joints.

That was DT.

Got to "8" on the widowmaker, but i'm remembering muscles that i long forgot about.

Its a great program. Sore as hell from the widowmaker though.

JM Gorilla

Are you sticking pretty close to the WOD's?  I am working out about 4 days a week right now, so I kinda pick and choose from the WOD's from the previous days...  All of them are great though.

HogSophist

Quote from: JM Gorilla on April 22, 2010, 04:58:21 pm
Are you sticking pretty close to the WOD's?  I am working out about 4 days a week right now, so I kinda pick and choose from the WOD's from the previous days...  All of them are great though.

Yeah, trying my best. I do tend to skip the running days, but other than that, i'm hitting it pretty well. Still sore, dont think that will ever stop!

JM Gorilla

Quote from: HogSophist on April 22, 2010, 06:03:02 pm
Yeah, trying my best. I do tend to skip the running days, but other than that, i'm hitting it pretty well. Still sore, dont think that will ever stop!
You still hanging in?

Today's workout was AWFUL:

For time:
10 Handstand push-ups
250 pound Deadlift, 15 reps
25 Box jumps, 30 inch box
50 Pull-ups
100 Wallball shots, 20 pounds, 10'
200 Double-unders
Run 400 meters with a 45lb plate

HogSophist

Quote from: JM Gorilla on May 28, 2010, 08:37:04 am
You still hanging in?

Today's workout was AWFUL:

For time:
10 Handstand push-ups
250 pound Deadlift, 15 reps
25 Box jumps, 30 inch box
50 Pull-ups
100 Wallball shots, 20 pounds, 10'
200 Double-unders
Run 400 meters with a 45lb plate

ugg

I had to skip the last two.

the day of

100 pullups
100 pushups
100 situps
100 squats

shredded all upper body muscles. My arms wont event straighten out. Its horrible. I probably should have scaled that one back for me.

JM Gorilla

Wednesdays WOD was bad for me.  Lower back, hamstrings and abs are still not the same...

TX HOG

I have a friend that is a cop and he swears by crossfit, wont do anything else.  i told him i got a gym membership and lifted weights etc...  He thinks doing crossfit is better than lifting weights.  he said "you dont need to do bench presses and all that, just do cross fit".  What do u think about this?

hawgsav1

crossfit is a good program, but it isn't the end-all of everything.  The real question is what your goals are.  Crossfit will get you in good general shape, but if you want to do a specific sport then perhaps there are other better programs than crossfit.

TX HOG

my friend says crossfit is a core workout.  u get stronger and get cardio all in one.  like i previously said, he doesnt think you need bench press and things.  just a pull up bar and crossfit. 

CurDog64

Everyone is saying you dont need any equipment, but I got this directly off of Crossfits website:

"We are a "minimalist program"and this is reflected by the functionality and limited number of our exercises and the simplicity of the equipment we use compared to most commercial gyms. An Olympic weight set and a place to do pull-ups and dips is essential to doing CrossFit. Gymnastics rings and parallettes, plyometrics boxes, a Dynamax medicine ball, dumbbells, kettlebells, climbing rope, Concept II Rower, and a glute-ham developer will equip your garage with more than enough to follow the WOD very closely. (See CrossFit Journal, September 2002, "The Garage Gym" for information on building a world-class strength and conditioning facility in your garage.)"

Am I missing something?  It sound interesting, but that is a lot of gear to need for a minimalist program.

HogSophist

Quote from: CurDog64 on August 29, 2010, 01:06:00 pm
Everyone is saying you dont need any equipment, but I got this directly off of Crossfits website:

"We are a "minimalist program"and this is reflected by the functionality and limited number of our exercises and the simplicity of the equipment we use compared to most commercial gyms. An Olympic weight set and a place to do pull-ups and dips is essential to doing CrossFit. Gymnastics rings and parallettes, plyometrics boxes, a Dynamax medicine ball, dumbbells, kettlebells, climbing rope, Concept II Rower, and a glute-ham developer will equip your garage with more than enough to follow the WOD very closely. (See CrossFit Journal, September 2002, "The Garage Gym" for information on building a world-class strength and conditioning facility in your garage.)"

Am I missing something?  It sound interesting, but that is a lot of gear to need for a minimalist program.

you dont need all that gear. You should go to a class for a month, and then you will have a lot of the very cool movements down, see what works and how you can be pushed, and do it on your own.

You can do a very similiar thing with just a pull up bar and a backyard.

hawgsav1

Quote from: TX HOG on August 29, 2010, 10:47:40 am
my friend says crossfit is a core workout.  u get stronger and get cardio all in one.  like i previously said, he doesnt think you need bench press and things.  just a pull up bar and crossfit. 

I do a lot of crossfit style workouts through SEALfit.  The key thing about crossfit is its intensity.  Many of the WODs [workout of the day] can take roughly twenty or thirty minutes, but at the end of those twenty thirty minutes, you're completely spent. 

The poster above is right that to do every crossfit workout as prescribed you do need a significant amount of equipment.  However, it's important to note that you should to scale loads/reps and substitute equipment to suit your fitness level. 

For example, one of the "benchmark" workouts is for one hundred pullups, one hundred pushups, one hundred situps, and one hundred squats as fast as possible.  Some people may not be able to do that workload in one sitting and may choose to do half or a quarter of it, while others may spice things up by throwing on a twenty pound weight vest and running a mile between the pullups, pushups, situps and squats.  So there is a lot of variation just between workouts.

If you go to the crossfit website, they also have a list of bodyweight workouts that you can do that are excellent for situations where you may not have that much equipment.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=50739

Even though crossfit advises itself as a program for everybody and I really like a lot of the style/WODs, I'm not sure if I necessarily agree that it's for everybody.  I see classes run by crossfit certified trainers with elderly and really out of shape folks who really should not be trying to go for Olympic style lifts and I'm not sure that intensity level is good for someone who is just starting.  Again, it's a GREAT program if you want to get in great all around shape, but it's highly recommended to have some sort of fitness base before you go in.

A good place to benchmark is by using this sheet, and seeing how many of these you can do:

http://www.crossfitseattle.com/Skill%20Levels%201-IV%20spreadsheet.pdf

oklahogjr

i used to do cross fit lost about 20 pounds in a couple months. its a solid program to get into better shape. i just started p90x a couple days ago though and i'm thinkin i like it better, it seems to take longer but its not near as hard as some of those hero workouts
lets go bowlin