Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is there a Big Green Egg thread?

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, April 24, 2016, 05:25:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pulled(PP)pork

would love some ideas and tips, fixing to pull the trigger on my first egg purchase

PP

PorkRinds

I've got the Primo ceramic grill and I love it. It's the American made version of th BGE and is oval shaped instead of round. The best thing I've ever cooked on it is a tri tip. I posted a thread about it with pics. It's really easy and so darn good. Only takes an hour. But these things can do it all. I've made pizza, bread. Dessert, any and every kind of smoked meat, and the list goes on. I love using my cast iron cookware over the open flame on the grill too. During the summer I'll cook the entire meal on the primo just so I don't have to turn the stove on. Your best bet for recipes and ideas is to go to the big green egg forums. I'm a member there, but I don't post. Just read the recipes and check out what others are cooking for ideas.  Pharm is a member there too.

PharmacistHog

Egghead forum is a great place. As far as comparisons of different cookers you might check out the "naked whiz" website. I would definitely go with big green egg or primo. Warranty and replacement stuff might be a little better with the big green egg from what I have read. I'vevyet to file a warranty claim but ceramic cracks so thats always important. The biggest issue will be deciding what size to buy. Also, do your homework before buying accessories. Tgere are lots af aftermarket accessories that work better than the stuff offered by the manufacturers (like their deflectors for indirect cooking). If you buy an egg I would save the money from buying their "conveggtor/platesetter" and buy something from ceramic grillstore. WAY more versatile.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Pulled(PP)pork

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 24, 2016, 07:20:12 pm
sweet, thanks gents!

PP

What area are you located?  A good dealer makes all the difference in the world.
Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Boarcephus

You will not regret it!  Bought mine several years ago and you'll love it.  PharmacistHog is dead right.  The Egghead Forum is where you go when you need to know anything egg related. There is a ton of eggheads that live on that website.  I've been there a few times when I first bought mine and whatever questions you have will be answered in a matter of minutes.  There's a few of us on here as well. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 24, 2016, 08:29:28 pm
What area are you located?  A good dealer makes all the difference in the world.
Im in Jackson Tn....I got shag on the lookout for a deal, but he may have bought the bastard for himself

PP

Boarcephus

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 26, 2016, 10:27:19 am
Im in Jackson Tn....I got shag on the lookout for a deal, but he may have bought the bastard for himself

PP

They have Eggfests every year in different parts of the country where they demo everything egg.  I've heard if you go to one you might be able to pick up one that has been used once at a pretty substantial savings.   When you do get one, give some serious thought to getting the 4 foot table that comes with it or if you're talented, build one. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

Register on the egghead forum and then make a post asking about good dealers in that area.  You will be bombarded with lots of information. 

By the way, Shag is the one who got my egg for me. 
Millennials suck...

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 26, 2016, 10:52:44 am
They have Eggfests every year in different parts of the country where they demo everything egg.  I've heard if you go to one you might be able to pick up one that has been used once at a pretty substantial savings.   When you do get one, give some serious thought to getting the 4 foot table that comes with it or if you're talented, build one.
Im not, but my brother is, and that was the plan.

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 26, 2016, 11:08:00 am
Register on the egghead forum and then make a post asking about good dealers in that area.  You will be bombarded with lots of information. 

By the way, Shag is the one who got my egg for me.
it's a 6hr trip, so I wonder if the cost savings would be ate up in gas.  also, a friend of mine who has one, highly recommends it's being assembled prior to getting it

PP

Boarcephus

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 26, 2016, 11:09:56 am
it's a 6hr trip, so I wonder if the cost savings would be ate up in gas.  also, a friend of mine who has one, highly recommends it's being assembled prior to getting it

PP

That's a great idea.  I had mine delivered and set up.  Bastards are heavy and hard to get ahold of!!  ;)

hoosier

Bought mine a couple years ago after seeing everyone's pics and recipes on here and HF.
Best thing I ever bought for my self. Easy and versatile.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 26, 2016, 11:09:56 am

PP

I put mine together by myself and built a table for it. Its not that hard honestly and by no means am I a carpenter.
Millennials suck...

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 27, 2016, 12:15:18 pm
I put mine together by myself and built a table for it. Its not that hard honestly and by no means am I a carpenter.
no, you're  better, you're a doctor!  Not like dentist "Doctor"

PP

PharmacistHog

I've been doing some research. Looks like kamado joe has been upping their customer service. Probably would be a good idea to check them out.
Millennials suck...

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 27, 2016, 02:26:50 pm
I've been doing some research. Looks like kamado joe has been upping their customer service. Probably would be a good idea to check them out.
ouch, more than BGE

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 27, 2016, 05:26:30 pm
ouch, more than BGE

PP

They are usually either cheaper or comparably priced but you get more accessories with it. Most bge accessories have to be purchased separately.
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on April 27, 2016, 06:34:17 pm
They are usually either cheaper or comparably priced but you get more accessories with it. Most bge accessories have to be purchased separately.

Which brings me to the point, how many accessories do you actually use?  I've got the rib rack which I use every so often but mainly when I do a pork loin, the pizza stone which I've never used.  I will use the little half moon raised thingy on occasion.  I basically throw my stuff on the egg and go from there.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 27, 2016, 07:03:19 pm
Which brings me to the point, how many accessories do you actually use?  I've got the rib rack which I use every so often but mainly when I do a pork loin, the pizza stone which I've never used.  I will use the little half moon raised thingy on occasion.  I basically throw my stuff on the egg and go from there.

I have a woo with stone for both eggs and my medium vision. I just think the woo and stone setup works better than the plstesetter. I dont have as many hotspots that way. The platesetter with its weird shape leaves spots exposed to direct heat if you cook in large quantities. The KJ come with a setup similar to the woo/adjustable rig from cersmic grill store. BGE doesnt even come with the platesetter (usually). You have to buy it separately. I dont use ribracks or anything like that. Those are so cheap anyway that I wouldnt consider that in the price.
Millennials suck...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on April 26, 2016, 10:27:19 am

PP

I'm not sure who sells them in Jackson. I know it's a little bit of a drive but if you want to see the differences and get advice then go to Ken Rash in Memphis on Summer about the Egg and Memphis BarBQ Supply in Bartlett on Stage Rd. about the Primo. Both have good people there to help you make a decision. I haven't bought one yet but leaning towards the Primo.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 27, 2016, 07:03:19 pm

The best Pizza I ever ate was cooked on my son's BGE using his pizza stone!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 03, 2016, 06:37:50 am
I'm not sure who sells them in Jackson. I know it's a little bit of a drive but if you want to see the differences and get advice then go to Ken Rash in Memphis on Summer about the Egg and Memphis BarBQ Supply in Bartlett on Stage Rd. about the Primo. Both have good people there to help you make a decision. I haven't bought one yet but leaning towards the Primo.
coffmans Furniture. And aloha pools has the xxl, that bish is HUGE

PP

DeltaBoy

I tryed to stay away cause they are addictive.  I trying to still master my Weber.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pulled(PP)pork

bought my large BGE yesterday, along with a platesetter and electric starter.....being delivered and assembled for free.  now to just get the table built....

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 05, 2016, 12:30:58 pm
bought my large BGE yesterday, along with a platesetter and electric starter.....being delivered and assembled for free.  now to just get the table built....

PP

Do you know what kind of table you want?  Theres a bunch of different ones here:  http://eggheadforum.com/categories/egg-table-forum
Millennials suck...

Pulled(PP)pork

this is the one I'm building
but 5ft

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 05, 2016, 02:29:51 pm
this is the one I'm building
but 5ft

PP

Just my opinion, but I would cut the hole a little bigger than the plans and allow an extra inch or two of space on the crossbraces near the egg. I now have a granite top but when I had a wood one it would get VERY hot. When looking at it from underneath it was black. Scared me. There have been several reports of the wood catching fire. And buy a table nest and account for that height on your measurements.
Millennials suck...

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on May 05, 2016, 02:33:25 pm
Just my opinion, but I would cut the hole a little bigger than the plans and allow an extra inch or two of space on the crossbraces near the egg. I now have a granite top but when I had a wood one it would get VERY hot. When looking at it from underneath it was black. Scared me. There have been several reports of the wood catching fire. And buy a table nest and account for that height on your measurements.
I was going to use a pavers stone for the bottom.  good idea on the hole. 

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on May 05, 2016, 02:51:19 pm
I was going to use a pavers stone for the bottom.  good idea on the hole. 

PP

Table nest is about 30 bucks and you can sit that on a stone.
Millennials suck...

Pulled(PP)pork

He offered to sell me some, I was just going by this guys website

PP

PharmacistHog

I've just seen pictures of where a guy picks up his paver and its black underneath from the heat transfer.  Scared me. I rebuilt mine.
Millennials suck...

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 03, 2016, 08:22:04 am
I tryed to stay away cause they are addictive.  I trying to still master my Weber.

That'll grow hair on your palm or make you go blind..................................

PharmacistHog

I'm no engineer but I don't think those cardboard boxes will support the weight of your new egg.
Millennials suck...

Pulled(PP)pork

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on May 10, 2016, 08:43:29 am
LOL keep us updated.

And invite all of Hogville over for a cookout when completed!

Rev. Jerry Falwell

PP, make your table 8' and place the egg in the center.

NT Rev
Goats are handy...milk, cheese, mower, fertilizer, sex toy, BBQ.  They're like the swiss army knife of animals.......you can quote me on this....

hoosier

Quote from: Rev. Jerry Falwell on May 11, 2016, 04:45:13 am

NT Rev
I made mine 8' but placed the egg off center a little to have more work space on one side

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Rev. Jerry Falwell on May 11, 2016, 04:45:13 am

NT Rev
going with a 5ft, and getting these damn boards stained and lacquered is a bish

PP

Pulled(PP)pork

1st cook on my egg last night, seasoned Pork Tenderloin and vegetable medley......it was "perfect", says the wife.  I was a bit anxious with it, constantly checking the temp.  One thing I did find out, the Char-broil "Cold Spot" thermometer probe I used was terrible.

PP

PharmacistHog

Buy a thermapen and don't ever look back. 
Millennials suck...

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 07, 2016, 10:05:58 am
Buy a thermapen and don't ever look back.
I'll check it out.  my buddies (shag) recommend bbq guru or the digi q.  of course, those are a little more than just checking temps.

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 07, 2016, 11:18:00 am
I'll check it out.  my buddies (shag) recommend bbq guru or the digi q.  of course, those are a little more than just checking temps.

PP

shag doesn't even use his guru. He just bought a pretty cool temp monitor but hadn't used it last time I was up there.  The guru's are good if you are just gonna set a temperature and not check it anymore (like overnight cooking).  I have a maverick but hardly use it.  Honestly, it's  just a pain in the butt to use so I just use my thermapen.  I use my dome thermometer and thermapen for the meat.  Way less trouble.  Hell, my wife uses my thermapen in the kitchen all the time.  It's about 80 bucks but I think its worth every penny. 
Millennials suck...

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 07, 2016, 11:39:20 am
shag doesn't even use his guru. He just bought a pretty cool temp monitor but hadn't used it last time I was up there.  The guru's are good if you are just gonna set a temperature and not check it anymore (like overnight cooking).  I have a maverick but hardly use it.  Honestly, it's  just a pain in the butt to use so I just use my thermapen.  I use my dome thermometer and thermapen for the meat.  Way less trouble.  Hell, my wife uses my thermapen in the kitchen all the time.  It's about 80 bucks but I think its worth every penny.
it was funny, the wife was skeptic when I was talking about last night dinner plans, on the egg.  After one bite of the tenderloin, she says, "perfect"

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 07, 2016, 11:41:26 am
it was funny, the wife was skeptic when I was talking about last night dinner plans, on the egg.  After one bite of the tenderloin, she says, "perfect"

PP

That's great.  Ya'll will enjoy it. 
Millennials suck...

Boog41

Another egghead in our midst. Welcome!