Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cast Iron

Started by Boll Hawg, March 15, 2016, 02:48:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boll Hawg

Anyone got really old cast iron cookware they use?  I took out my old (and abused) cast iron skillet and looked it over the other day and decided to make it a project.  I cooked some cornbread on it a while back and the skillet apparently wasn't properly seasoned because it stuck everywhere.  I've been scrubbing, and scrubbing the pan with SOS pads (which are also bad), but I'm trying to get everything that's caked on off.  Once I got it halfway decent I rubbed it down with a thin layer of canola oil and  baked at 350 for an hour.  I've repeated this process several times and the skillet is looking good and slick now.  I think I'm going to cook some bacon in it and see how that goes. 

Hopefully once it's nice and seasoned I can use it for decades and pass it on to my kids.   
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

ricepig

Yep, use one for cornbread and a bigger one to cook a roast in. I also have a cornbread stick pan.

Hog_Swanson

Once you get it seasoned, don't use water or soap on it again.  Wipe it out after cooking.  If you burn something in it, just wipe it out, pour some salt in it and rub that salt over the burnt spot with a paper towel.  Trust me, it works.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

PorkRinds

I use one on my primo grill, and one in the oven for cornbread.  I keep the one for the grill for specific grill use. 

ricepig

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 15, 2016, 03:00:57 pm
Once you get it seasoned, don't use water or soap on it again.  Wipe it out after cooking.  If you burn something in it, just wipe it out, pour some salt in it and rub that salt over the burnt spot with a paper towel.  Trust me, it works.

I'll use a little water if necessary, but very little, as in wet towel.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: ricepig on March 15, 2016, 03:18:34 pm
I'll use a little water if necessary, but very little, as in wet towel.
That's okay, but you definitely don't want to through it in a sink of soapy water and start scrubbing.  You'll never keep it seasoned that way.

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

ricepig

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 15, 2016, 03:51:32 pm
That's okay, but you definitely don't want to through it in a sink of soapy water and start scrubbing.  You'll never keep it seasoned that way.

Hot water is fine, I don't use soap.

jrulz83

Try salt if you need an abrasive if something happens to stick.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Boll Hawg

Quote from: jrulz83 on March 15, 2016, 05:09:47 pm
Try salt if you need an abrasive if something happens to stick.

I think I put too much oil on my skillet and now it's sticky.  I'm going to try some kosher salt and see if that takes it off. 
Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

ricepig

Quote from: Boll Hawg on March 16, 2016, 02:00:15 pm
I think I put too much oil on my skillet and now it's sticky.  I'm going to try some kosher salt and see if that takes it off. 

What did you use? Also, the best way is to bake it upside down in the oven, of course, have a cooking sheet below it to catch the runoff.

jrulz83

Quote from: Boll Hawg on March 16, 2016, 02:00:15 pm

I've been there before, canola oil seems to do the worst for me. ricepigs upside down advice should do the trick.
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

Hog_Swanson

I'm about to buy a dutch oven. Is the care basically the same?  Any owners out there?

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 16, 2016, 08:36:10 pm
I'm about to buy a dutch oven. Is the care basically the same?  Any owners out there?

Are you using it in the oven or on the grill? If it's in the oven get an enameled one.  You'll thank me later. Clean up and care is way easier!

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: PorkRinds on March 16, 2016, 08:38:14 pm
Are you using it in the oven or on the grill? If it's in the oven get an enameled one.  You'll thank me later. Clean up and care is way easier!
Probably only use it for camping.

BR

A Legend around these parts named Slacker, is a Cast Iron Master..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: BR on March 18, 2016, 09:30:14 am
A Legend around these parts named Slacker, is a Cast Iron Master..
Yeah, but I hear on the days Bobby's bike went off the road, he figured the world was coming to an end and he has been in his bug out shelter ever since.  Someone should seriously knock on the hatch door and see if he is okay.

BR

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 18, 2016, 12:52:23 pm
Yeah, but I hear on the days Bobby's bike went off the road, he figured the world was coming to an end and he has been in his bug out shelter ever since.  Someone should seriously knock on the hatch door and see if he is okay.
He is doing fine.... 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: BR on March 18, 2016, 03:20:48 pm
He is doing fine.... 

In a bruce jenner surgery kinda way?
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

DeltaBoy

When Grandma went into the nursing home back in 2004 I was blessed with getting all her cast iron when included her wedding skillet and her moms skillet along with a flat cast iron pan I use to sear steaks , make pancakes or make grilled and pressed sandwiches.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeWayne R

When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DeWayne R on March 21, 2016, 08:38:07 pm
Y'all can thank me later.   http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php

Good Information.  I use bacon grease to maintain mine since they are all over 60 years old and Grandma used Bacon grease or
Crisco in them all that time. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HogCard

I don't use soap to clean but i do boil water in it sometimes to clean it up.  Hasn't seemed to hurt the properties any

DeltaBoy

I use Hot water and a clean soft scrub sponge.

oldman1015

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 21, 2016, 08:23:15 am
When Grandma went into the nursing home back in 2004 I was blessed with getting all her cast iron when included her wedding skillet and her moms skillet along with a flat cast iron pan I use to sear steaks , make pancakes or make grilled and pressed sandwiches.
a wedding skillet?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: oldman1015 on March 23, 2016, 03:10:40 pm
a wedding skillet?

Yep in our family past the girls got a brand new Cast Iron Skillet as a Wedding Present.  When my daughter get grown and gets married I will give her my Great Grandmother's which she got in 1911.

DeWayne R

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 23, 2016, 08:27:33 am
Good Information.  I use bacon grease to maintain mine since they are all over 60 years old and Grandma used Bacon grease or
Crisco in them all that time. 

I use Crisco on mine.
When you're Black and proud it's called pride but when you're White and proud it's called racism

DeltaBoy

Quote from: DeWayne R on March 23, 2016, 04:41:40 pm
I use Crisco on mine.

My Wife will not buy or let Crisco in the House.  I barely get by using bacon grease on anything if she is in the Kitchen when I am cooking cause she's serious about eating healthy.

oldman1015

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 23, 2016, 03:23:12 pm
Yep in our family past the girls got a brand new Cast Iron Skillet as a Wedding Present.  When my daughter get grown and gets married I will give her my Great Grandmother's which she got in 1911.
that's awesome.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

BR

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 24, 2016, 08:05:44 am
My Wife will not buy or let Crisco in the House.  I barely get by using bacon grease on anything if she is in the Kitchen when I am cooking cause she's serious about eating healthy.
I'd find a new wife...........

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BR on March 24, 2016, 02:02:58 pm
I'd find a new wife...........

She too good to me in other areas to kick to the curb over Crisco.

DeWayne R

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 24, 2016, 08:05:44 am

You need to get your BALLS out of her purse............ lmao  I just have a small can that's used only for cast iron.

theFlyingHog

I had a little old lady tell me if one is in pretty bad shape it goes in a big campfire for the day. Get it down in the embers and keep it there for hours

DeWayne R

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 24, 2016, 03:35:37 pm
I had a little old lady tell me if one is in pretty bad shape it goes in a big campfire for the day. Get it down in the embers and keep it there for hours

If you have a glass top stove not a good idea. High heat will warp it.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: DeWayne R on March 24, 2016, 09:07:14 pm
If you have a glass top stove not a good idea. High heat will warp it.
Well I don't think you're supposed to take it right out of the fire and put it on your glass top stove

PharmacistHog

Quote from: theFlyingHog on March 25, 2016, 11:57:50 am
Well I don't think you're supposed to take it right out of the fire and put it on your glass top stove

no you take it out of the heat and hit the wife that won't let you have Crisco right in the face with it. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Boarcephus

My mother gave me hers which was her moms and perhaps her grandmothers.  It has to be in the neighborhood of 100 years old.  I don't know if there are dates on the those things but I'll look when I get home.  Plan on using it on the egg to learn how to blacken fish this year since doing it inside only causes a friggin mess with smoke detectors and security systems.  ;)

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeWayne R

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 25, 2016, 01:04:29 pm
My mother gave me hers which was her moms and perhaps her grandmothers.  It has to be in the neighborhood of 100 years old.  I don't know if there are dates on the those things but I'll look when I get home.  Plan on using it on the egg to learn how to blacken fish this year since doing it inside only causes a friggin mess with smoke detectors and security systems.  ;)

The link I posted has very good info on how to identify old cast iron.

DeWayne R

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 25, 2016, 12:06:31 pm
no you take it out of the heat and hit the wife that won't let you have Crisco right in the face with it. 

That's just to dadgum funny right there.

BR

Quote from: DeWayne R on March 25, 2016, 02:14:07 pm
That's just to dadgum funny right there.
YEP... Love ole Delta, but has problems even with BACON Grease...

DeWayne R

Oh yeah its all in  good fun. Heck I've got a couple I bought that that need oven cleaner and a trash bag ahold of.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: BR on March 25, 2016, 07:23:28 pm
  YEP... Love ole Delta, but has problems even with BACON Grease...

Wife likes Bacon grease just fine.

Boarcephus

Quote from: DeWayne R on March 25, 2016, 02:08:44 pm
The link I posted has very good info on how to identify old cast iron.

I pulled off the numbers off the bottom of it.  I'll try to look it up today if I get a chance.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 28, 2016, 07:01:20 am
I pulled off the numbers off the bottom of it.  I'll try to look it up today if I get a chance.

Good luck I got one all it says is 8 inch skillet. It my great grandmothers.

DeWayne R

theFlyingHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 28, 2016, 08:13:50 am
Good luck I got one all it says is 8 inch skillet. It my great grandmothers.
That's the 15" dual-handled Lodge from 1982. Nice skillet there

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 16, 2016, 08:40:37 pm
Probably only use it for camping.

Makes great peach cobbler using coals from a fire.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PharmacistHog on March 25, 2016, 12:06:31 pm

That might be one reason why they have Crisco in prisons............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 27, 2016, 08:21:30 pm
Wife likes Bacon grease just fine.

No Crisco because she wants health eating but she thinks that's healthy eating?

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 30, 2016, 06:53:16 am
No Crisco because she wants health eating but she thinks that's healthy eating?

There is no explaining Women. I stopped by year 2 of our marriage.   I just told them I wash and season all cast iron and don't ever get the bone headed idea that you can put them in the Dishwasher.  I just had to do the same thing about my Old Hickory Kitchen knifes I spent a Sat afternoon sanding the rust off and refinishing them with Vinegar.

theFlyingHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 30, 2016, 08:44:32 am
There is no explaining Women. I stopped by year 2 of our marriage.   I just told them I wash and season all cast iron and don't ever get the bone headed idea that you can put them in the Dishwasher.  I just had to do the same thing about my Old Hickory Kitchen knifes I spent a Sat afternoon sanding the rust off and refinishing them with Vinegar.
I finally quit getting aggravated about knives. Women, they throw em in the dish washer, throw them in the drawer in a big pile and then complain about them not being sharp. No crap?