Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can't believe there isn't a Whitt thread going

Started by Hogsolo, March 03, 2016, 09:01:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogsolo

He's really showing flashes right now of the scoring and athleticism he's going to bring in the future.   Very impressed by his ability to shoot off the drible and his ability to get his own shot.   

After a year of strength and conditioning he will bring his first half game to all 40 minutes.   

wheelspigharvey

Quote from: IAMHogholio on March 03, 2016, 09:01:56 am
He's really showing flashes right now of the scoring and athleticism he's going to bring in the future.   Very impressed by his ability to shoot off the drible and his ability to get his own shot.   

After a year of strength and conditioning he will bring his first half game to all 40 minutes.

That siiiiick pull-up type jumper down low in the first half though. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HogNDas

Quote from: IAMHogholio on March 03, 2016, 09:01:56 am

terrible shooting motion....don't foresee him ever being an outside threat....

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: HogNDas on March 03, 2016, 09:07:19 am

I just hope he ends up with an effective soft floater in the lane ala Lenzie Howell.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

BRHogfan

Jimmy Whitt has definitely had some nice flashes in the past few weeks.  Especially during the 4 game winning streak.

I have a feeling in the off-season, he's going to get someone to help him completely rebuild his jump shot, and we're going to see similar shooting numbers next year with an explosion of shooting in 2018.

rude1

Quote from: HogNDas on March 03, 2016, 09:07:19 am
Actually shooting 38% behind the arc though he hasn't taken a lot, not terrible for a freshman. I think people get too caught up in mechanics sometimes when it comes to shooting the basketball. Bottom line here is does it go in? Having a text book release and form but the ball doesn't go in does no good. At this stage IMO it would be a mistake to try and retool his shot, just get in the gym and put up volume shots.

There have been plenty of unorthodox shooters who were effective, one of my all time favorite college and pro players in this category is Jamaal Wilkes, an absolutely deadly shooter with one of the worst looking releases ever seen. Wonder how many times during his career did the shooting experts try and "fix" his shot?

jjdlc

Quote from: rude1 on March 03, 2016, 08:56:26 pm
Actually shooting 38% behind the arc though he hasn't taken a lot, not terrible for a freshman. I think people get too caught up in mechanics sometimes when it comes to shooting the basketball. Bottom line here is does it go in? Having a text book release and form but the ball doesn't go in does no good. At this stage IMO it would be a mistake to try and retool his shot, just get in the gym and put up volume shots.

There have been plenty of unorthodox shooters who were effective, one of my all time favorite college and pro players in this category is Jamaal Wilkes, an absolutely deadly shooter with one of the worst looking releases ever seen. Wonder how many times during his career did the shooting experts try and "fix" his shot?

I agree, a lot of times those unorthodox releases causes havoc for defenders.  Get him in the gym and perfect it.  Kid is really coming on, he is going to be very good for us over the next couple years.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: jjdlc on March 03, 2016, 09:08:18 pm
I agree, a lot of times those unorthodox releases causes havoc for defenders.  Get him in the gym and perfect it.  Kid is really coming on, he is going to be very good for us over the next couple years.

I don't know.
I'd hate to see him struggle with a new shot, but his shot is just ugly.
However, it has more moving parts than Dolly Parton in an aerobics class.

Even from a physics standpoint that isn't good.  Too much entropy.

P.S.
Jimmy has surprised me.  I didn't expect this level of play till next year.   As shaky as his early play was, I figured he'd be a little longer in maturing.

Good job, Jimmy!
Keep putting in the work.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Pigasaurus

He can get up high really fast, going to see some Qualls type plays when he comes into his game.  Can swat some balls too.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Birminghog

Does anybody remember Marvin Delph's jump shot? Came from back behind his ear, if I remember correctly. Pretty effective, though.

BRHogfan

Quote from: pigasaurus on March 03, 2016, 10:46:47 pm
He can get up high really fast, going to see some Qualls type plays when he comes into his game.  Can swat some balls too.

Qualls does have a pretty high release and can jump out of the gym when he's shooting threes.

The NBA has almost no players with unorthodox shooting styles. That's the only thing that worries me.

Paul

Quote from: BRHogfan on March 03, 2016, 11:16:56 am
Jimmy Whitt has definitely had some nice flashes in the past few weeks.  Especially during the 4 game winning streak.

I have a feeling in the off-season, he's going to get someone to help him completely rebuild his jump shot, and we're going to see similar shooting numbers next year with an explosion of shooting in 2018.
the coaching staff should show him the before/after of Kevin Punter, maybe the most improved player(with Moses) in the SEC.

Thepigdoctor

Quote from: Birminghog on March 04, 2016, 07:26:03 am
Does anybody remember Marvin Delph's jump shot? Came from back behind his ear, if I remember correctly. Pretty effective, though.

Ronnie Brewer Jr. as well. Those are just two of the easier Razorbacks to name.

It's really just more uncommon to see an unorthodox shooter period, doesn't mean they can't be every bit as deadly.

It's probably something from his childhood, maybe he was long undersized when learning to shoot and he honed that style so it works. It doesn't have to be pretty, so long as it's effective. The benefit of his shot is how easily it translated to this level. His shot is so high, he can become almost unguardable once he catches up to the speed at this level.